BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] DJ Campbell arrested on match fixing allegations

JMillZz

• Replies 702
  • Created
  • Last Reply

LOL! Every time Allardyce's name is brought up, posters go apoplectic!

"He left years ago, he won't be coming back , get over it" would be typical but it doesn't apply to Souness does it?

Even though Souness had assembled the saddest bunch of relegation candidates ever seen till Kean came along. A miracle that Hughes kept us up that season, just like the miracle Sam performed after Ince.

Souness had his good times with us and they will never be forgotten, but long before he left us, he was finished as a manager.

If people are simply saying that we need a stronger personality around, I can relate to that but if anyone seriously wants Souness back, they should get their head read.

• Backroom

1. Who tf is Eastman? And why do people keep getting players' names wrong on here?

2. I still don't understand why people would drop Lowe. Him and Williamson are about equal apart from the latter lacking pace. I'd say Williamson ought to be Lowe's back-up at home and midfield partner away.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2521540/DJ-Campbell-sacked-Blackburn-Rovers-outcome-match-fixing-scandal.html

I must have missed the part where he was bailed until APRIL!! Given that we are stuck with a player that we can't play or sell, I hope we can sue him for the money back if he is found guilty.

Out of every situation we seem to get the worst case scenario. Bloody hell it's frustrating being a Rovers fan.

I agree its pretty bloody awful for us at the moment. When I first heard players were being investigated for match fixing/spot fixing I KNEW we would somehow have somebody involved. When I saw on SSN that the club was in contact with our lawyers and those from the F.A, the Football League and the PFA I KNEW the outcome would be "nothing you can do". I'm also praying (whilst on a rant) that the reports that the buffoon DJ is on £25k a week is wrong, he was signed when we started to tighten our belt and not when we were spraying cash last summer, who the hell authorised that wage structure!!!!

I don't think the point about Kean/Lowe/Rhodes is proof that GB's a "soft touch". He wouldn't be the first manager to have the blinkers on when it comes to players. Over the years we've all sat here and scratched our noodles at that 'X' keeps getting in the side. He didn't play favourites after the Ipswich game and we went on to get a result. So at least he's learning from his mistakes and isn't afraid to ring the changes. Obviously there's room for improvement, as there would be for any promoted coach in his first full season as manager but as usual we're dwelling on the negatives (*insert party line about little to be positive about etc.*)

1. Who tf is Eastman? And why do people keep getting players' names wrong on here?

2. I still don't understand why people would drop Lowe. Him and Williamson are about equal apart from the latter lacking pace. I'd say Williamson ought to be Lowe's back-up at home and midfield partner away.

Williamson offers more experience and he makes less unnecessary mistakes(and his all-around ability is slightly better)

Best option would be to sack him now I think. If he is not convicted then we can compensate him, which we would have to do anyway as he is under contract. Better that than paying him wages when he can't play for basically the rest of the season.

Interesting idea. Could there be punitive damages though, or could he sue for defamation of character, wrongful dismissal, future earnings?

If his only potential claim was his full contract value then it seems fair game, and a good way to stem cash flow.

However, as always with the draconian stick-him-in-the-reserves-to-rot type scenarios, you have to look at how this might be perceived by other players - including potential future players.

Good post Maj.

In particular the points about Bowyer's handling of Best. Dropping him initially was heralded a bit of a master stroke by some fans, but dropping a player is easy- anyone can do that. What has it achieved? Nothing. The better managers sort these things out in private, get the player in the right frame of mind and get the player on the pitch. That's something a minority argued at the time. I certainly remember Tom arguing that as well.

We were going down under Souness. In the latter stages of his reign he lost the plot completely.

Yes, we were. I still like the guy though. He could attract the players and he's always worth listening to. He gave us some of the best times we've had during his manager ship.

We were going down under Souness. In the latter stages of his reign he lost the plot completely.

Obviously. He had his eye on bigger things and he did lose the plot but to say he did just ok before that is ridiculous.

But his first two full seasons were some of the best

Would have been much much better the other way around like Mark Hughes's tenure. Souness's curve was downward whilst Hughes was upward. Not only did Hughes mould a very good team he made the club 40-50m into the bargain.

Two old sayings in football management apply to GS.....

You are only as good as your last result.

and

If you don't get rid of bad players they'll get rid of you.

Obviously. He had his eye on bigger things and he did lose the plot but to say he did just ok before that is ridiculous.

Eye on bigger things? He was washed up till Newcastle inexplicably stepped in and saved us a load of compensation for sacking him.

The timing was marvellous for us.

Saying all that as some of the misty eyed romantics have said he did OK to start and if he had left us after we beat Spurs away on the last day to finish 6th and in Europe I would have had him down as a legend. He didn't, he stayed and it all went Pete Tongue. Worst of all he treated European football (and obviously BRFc fans to boot) with complete disrespect. Might be alright for him with his Liverpool memories but all my life I yearned to see BRFC play european football yet when we got there he continually fielded weakened teams.

Eye on bigger things? He was washed up till Newcastle inexplicably stepped in and saved us a load of compensation for sacking him.

Yes. Williams should have sacked him much earlier but dithered and Newcastle saved him making a decision. That plus the ludicrous appointment of Ince showed Williams did not always get it right.

• Backroom

Yes. Williams should have sacked him much earlier but dithered and Newcastle saved him making a decision. That plus the ludicrous appointment of Ince showed Williams did not always get it right.

Does it really matter? Especially as we got compensation rather than dishing it out.

Ince, I agree, was a mistake though.

• Backroom

You think that now in hinsight Mike but did you think it would be when his appoointment was announced?

Well I was 17 at the time, so hardly knew who Ince really was tbh. I certainly understood that he wouldn't be as good as Hughes (coming from MK Dons is very different from Wales), but didn't think he'd be as @#/? as he was.

After that initial Everton win, I admit I was fooled.

Souness was the first manager I really remember as I was too young for Kenny and didn't really get into footy until mid-2000. Up to now I've only seen us rise. Quite humbling to see the beginnings of becoming the small-town team we are.

Archived