BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] January Transfer Deadline day

Tom

• Backroom

Looks like being an exciting one (sarcasm)

Varney is a poor player but a trier and I don't know much about Conway and this defender (paddy McCarthy)

Feel free to discuss the ins and outs of all clubs

Go on

Do it

• Replies 906
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A post which could have been written by a supporter of any Championship club with the exception of QPR and possibly Leicester.

Dunno if it's the spectre of FFP looming or that after the lunacy/profligacy/extravagence/fraudulence/greed of the past 3 years we simply have had more to do to return to sanity than all other clubs in the Divison but thank God financial reallity is kicking in.

It's 'to assume makes an ass of u and me'. :tu:

Not sure how many clubs are in the promotion or bust category that we are. Perhaps Bolton with their gargantuan debt? After that, I'm not too sure.

And yes, we massively needed to and have trimmed the wage bill (in fact in the part you didn't quote I mentioned how well I thought we'd done offloading players) but this also has to be balanced with keeping the squad competitive. Given all the outs, we probably need a couple more bodies in to cover injuries and suspensions. Let's say Dann goes, that leaves us with just two recognized centre halves - not sure anyone can think that is a good situation to be in.

Equally unless we're playing one up top, having only 2 strikers Ruddy and Rhodes available, seems to be a tad risky (especially since we seem to need Geteste to get the best out of Rhodes). Not forgotten Dunn up front, but he can never play as the furthest forward and is often injured. Again it seems like we're one injury away from things looking very awkward up top.

Agree we have to be sensible financially, but one area Bowyer really seems to be developing in and growing in is the transfer market, so either through some loans, or a some of the generated cash, it seems a calculated risk to let Bowyer bring in a few new bodies.

Conway would be a good option especially with Marshall injured. Might be good in that when Marshall returns to fitness it would allow Cairney to move to a more central role. I do think one of the reasons Bowyer has kept Cairney out wide is he has simply shown the best form in that position of anyone in the squad.

Looks like being an exciting one (sarcasm)

Varney is a poor player but a trier and I don't know much about Conway and this defender (paddy McCarthy)

Feel free to discuss the ins and outs of all clubs

Go on

Do it

Conway, not a bad player. Plays either wing. Brighton wanted him back on loan.

Very pleased with the Conway signing if it happens. Wasn't expecting a permanent deal.

With Varney I wouldn't be too disappointed if it doesn't happen, I would rather we went for a promising young premier league attacker if we could. Don't know much about the lad from Liverpool but have heard decent things

Matty Fryatt to Dingles rumour about (Ings' replacement). We were linked with him not so long back weren't we?

Be very surprised to see Ings go anywhere this window, not even been a bid so far (allegedly at least)

Only seen the paper stories about Fryatt, certainly wouldn't be upset by his arrival but I think it is in the centre of midfield we really need an option - plus we are already talking about 'loan window opens next week' so not expecting anything to happen soon for us, looks like we are settling for a shot at the play offs to me.

Conway is a good signing. Varney is a decent rotation option, would definitely have him over Campbell and Best.

It is vital to replace Dann with someone of actual quality, i.e. not Paddy McCarthy. Have a feeling that we'll be disappointed on that front, though

Conway would be a good option especially with Marshall injured. Might be good in that when Marshall returns to fitness it would allow Cairney to move to a more central role. I do think one of the reasons Bowyer has kept Cairney out wide is he has simply shown the best form in that position of anyone in the squad.

Thats a really good point. Two wide men, both GB signings, would suggest he might use both when fit.

There must be so many deals lined up in case other ones happen.

It would almost be beneficial to stagger the transfer deadlines down the Leagues - Premiership clubs only being able to buy up to a certain date, then Championship clubs 1 week later and so on. At least then the 'small' clubs would have a chance to fill the gaps left by 'big' clubs swooping for their players.

A Friend of mine just text me saying Michael Keane from Man Utd could be coming in on loan. Not sure how reliable this is so make of it what you will.

i have not heard that from anyone but when i saw he had gone back to Utd and knowing the "special relationship" Shaw has with Moyes i did wonder if that could happen should Dann leave

Archived