BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Back Or Sack?

Guest Wen Y Hu

Back Or Sack  

394 members have voted

1. 1. Should Gary Bowyer continue as manager of Blackburn Rovers?

• No, he should be sacked immediately.
    • Yes, but replace him at the end of the season.
    • Yes, but give him to the end of the season and then review his position.
    • Yes, he should receive full backing to manage next season.
    • I'm not sure.

Belting avatar Amo.

On topic.

For the very little that it's worth I voted "Don't know" and still don't.

There's mitigation for and against the crime that Bowyer hasn't got us up already; no decent 'keeper 'til January? Hanleys stupid dismissals, no proper bloody right-back until Keane has showed he's as good there as centre half, the midfield has been chopped, changed and then decapitated by incessant ankle injuries (your cue Maj!) Finally deciding that Mr Goals (And that's Sir Goals to you sonny) needs a partner as he can't do it all on his own, Rudy has been outstanding may I add.

But it's the "ooooh you can play football in our half no problem, here, let me show you our box, loads of space, drive a bus through there cock" attitude for the majority of the season which has @#/? me right off, yes football is all about opinions, but it's a lot easier if you keep the ball when you have it make the pitch as big as possible, but hunt it down when you don't and make the pitch as small as possible....

Until recently we haven't pressed with a higher line, there's been no intensity to our play, it's these sort of basics that have cost us dearly, I appreciate that when Bowyer does have to change it, we haven't had a "weapon" or "wildcard" to bring on to make an impact (Rochina is a talented boy, but he has the IQ of a toaster) imagine if we had the dilemma of playing Conway, King or Marshall out wide, or even letting Taylor getting up and down.

Evans, for me anyway, is vital to the XI he sets the tempo, knows when to sit, knows when to bomb on, Lowe (for all his criticism, me included) could be an important player, provided he's given the right instructions, I'd make him study other midfielders games, he's never going to boss an opponent, I'd like to see him a bit nastier to be honest.

I don't even know any of that makes sense, I was sort of going somewhere but got lost, I tried my best, some people will be pleased, others less so, some won't even bother, that sums up Bowyer and this season up for me.

Bumbling, awkward, mildly entertaining, but not quite there.

Yet.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Christ, that's as bad as people who slag off education atmo.

'Our kids are stupid, they'll never get As!'

When they all work really hard and get As, you then go 'Ah, proof! They're getting easier!'

Why would you sack someone for proving you wrong in a way that should make you feel brilliant?

We now teach glycolysis at the uni in 1st year. I did that at gcse in the 90s.

There's mitigation for and against the crime that Bowyer hasn't got us up already; no decent 'keeper 'til January? Hanleys stupid dismissals, no proper bloody right-back until Keane has showed he's as good there as centre half, the midfield has been chopped, changed and then decapitated by incessant ankle injuries (your cue Maj!) Finally deciding that Mr Goals (And that's Sir Goals to you sonny) needs a partner as he can't do it all on his own, Rudy has been outstanding may I add.

But it's the "ooooh you can play football in our half no problem, here, let me show you our box, loads of space, drive a bus through there cock" attitude for the majority of the season which has @#/? me right off, yes football is all about opinions, but it's a lot easier if you keep the ball when you have it make the pitch as big as possible, but hunt it down when you don't and make the pitch as small as possible....

Until recently we haven't pressed with a higher line, there's been no intensity to our play, it's these sort of basics that have cost us dearly, I appreciate that when Bowyer does have to change it, we haven't had a "weapon" or "wildcard" to bring on to make an impact (Rochina is a talented boy, but he has the IQ of a toaster) imagine if we had the dilemma of playing Conway, King or Marshall out wide, or even letting Taylor getting up and down.

Evans, for me anyway, is vital to the XI he sets the tempo, knows when to sit, knows when to bomb on, Lowe (for all his criticism, me included) could be an important player, provided he's given the right instructions, I'd make him study other midfielders games, he's never going to boss an opponent, I'd like to see him a bit nastier to be honest.

I don't even know any of that makes sense, I was sort of going somewhere but got lost, I tried my best, some people will be pleased, others less so, some won't even bother, that sums up Bowyer and this season up for me.

Yet.

Much the same thoughts as me but I voted he be sacked. Of course, I'd love him to prove me wrong but I've seen enough this season. If he won the majority of the remaining games then I'd be a bit more forgiving about him staying on next term but let's wait and see. I was really impressed on Tuesday, something not mentioned was how Bowyer was little bit more proactive on the touch line with his staff, discussing tactics etc... I've not seen enough of this from him this season.

problem is klc 2012, when he comes up against a problem or a manager with more experience and nous he doesn't have the answers. last night QPR were a shambles and we cosily got 2 nil up. So whilst we did play well his tactical nous didn't get challenged (like it did when McClaren ran rings round him in 2nd half at ewood).

Harry couldn't be arsed last night and didnt play a striker from the start- whilst having 3 on the bench and no subs till almost 70 mins gone!!

He struggles to respond when teams change their tactics and shape during the course of a game

Fair enough - just think that (as DMTP says) often we have forced the opposition to change by getting it right from the start. Sometimes we havn't had options to match the changes, sometimes the players have failed to maintain the tactics and yes sometimes Bowyer has not been proactive enough but the more recent games have seen more positive (attacking) substitutions even when we have been leading. Signs that lessons have been learnt? I hope so.

Regarding experienced managers - sometimes they get it right, sometimes they get it wrong - most experienced managers have been sacked at least twice during their careers... I originally voted to review Bowyers position at the end of the season - i feel i have seen enough to justify giving him the summer window and in theory all of next season (bottom 3 after 15 games excepted of course) - therefore i changed my vote to give him next season.

Belting avatar Amo.

On topic.

For the very little that it's worth I voted "Don't know" and still don't.

Yet.

Pretty much nails it to be honest. It's startling after all of the good work he's done that some blindingly basic stuff has gone unchecked time and again. If he sets out for a draw tomorrow then it's back to square one for me.

Todays LET...

Gary Bowyer: “We remember where we were this time last year so we won’t be getting carried away or anything like that,”

Good to hear that Gaz, good to see we're still looking over our shoulder rather than looking forward... Eventually you might just trip up. By the way, we're only 2 points better off than last season so change the record. God forbid! We wouldn't want to aspire to anything or push for the playoffs.

If we get beat this weekend then this is only going to further p*ss me off.

I think you're being too hasty above. We have a slim outside chance. What right would we have to get carried away? If we're going to get there GB is going to be sensible about it. No doubt they know what's needed, Bowyer (and the players) will be pushing for that but there's no need to put pressure on the players through the press; if that's what you're looking for?

Todays LET...

Gary Bowyer: “We remember where we were this time last year so we won’t be getting carried away or anything like that,”

Good to hear that Gaz, good to see we're still looking over our shoulder rather than looking forward... Eventually you might just trip up. By the way, we're only 2 points better off than last season so change the record. God forbid! We wouldn't want to aspire to anything or push for the playoffs.

If we get beat this weekend then this is only going to further p*ss me off.

With 5 games to spare, you really do have a problem with Bowyer don't you? If he came out and said he thinks we can get in the play offs you would shoot him down as well, he can't win with some.

With 5 games to spare, you really do have a problem with Bowyer don't you? If he came out and said he thinks we can get in the play offs you would shoot him down as well, he can't win with some.

Garbage, it would be refreshing to hear if anything. This is a side capable of promotion and in my opinion has under achieved... I'd love my manager to come out and say such a thing because at least I'd know that he shares that belief. My problem is that this constant reminder of what has happened in previous seasons to scaremonger the fans into not expecting more... Well i'm not falling for it.

Course I have a problem with him, we're the most inconsistent team in this league and our constant lack of style and identity has been dreadful to watch until recent weeks... He's got some proving to do, he can start by having a go at the playoffs... Finally.

Garbage, it would be refreshing to hear if anything. This is a side capable of promotion and in my opinion has under achieved... I'd love my manager to come out and say such a thing because at least I'd know that he shares that belief. My problem is that this constant reminder of what has happened in previous seasons to scaremonger the fans into not expecting more... Well i'm not falling for it.

Course I have a problem with him, we're the most inconsistent team in this league and our constant lack of style and identity has been dreadful to watch until recent weeks... He's got some proving to do, he can start by having a go at the playoffs... Finally.

If you say it's garbage and you wouldn't I respect that, but you surely can't argue some people would have a pop at him for it?

It's probably something we will never agree on, but I think he's right to remind that we are a work in progress after the last few seasons. Not many Rovers I spoke to prior to the season starting were expecting much more than were getting at the minute? As I said before If were not top 6 come xmas then he will have failed, and I will agree with you. At the minute he's the manager of my football team and i'll back him to the hilt.

Certain posters have completely erased what's happened over the past 4yrs and have unrealistic expectations.

Bowyer has done tremendously well this season and the man should be applauded not vilified, yes he's made mistakes but he's still learning.

Sadly some supporters think glory is a god given right for a club like ours, but back into the real world, it's not!

Would I replace him? Probably if the right manager comes along, but that shouldn't take away from the job he's done this season.

For me Bowyer has done a very good job in terms of steadying the ship at Ewood Park, compared to last season, we are in much better shape in terms of the squad and it is still developing. We have to remember that a lot of changes have been made during this past season and the majority of these have been for the better of the team. We need to start backing our managers and look at the long term future of the team and club rather than get blindsided with short term visions. If we make the play offs great, we still would have to win three more games to get promoted and if we don't then we need to concentrate on the obvious improvement that has come from our side and aim to build on it for next season and become serious contenders for promotion.

We now teach glycolysis at the uni in 1st year. I did that at gcse in the 90s.

'Glycolosis' at O'Level? I bet you are the only chap in the known universe with that on your cv Maj.

Goldfish memories abound on here NNN.

I presume you can prove that neal?

'Glycolosis' at O'Level? I bet you are the only chap in the known universe with that on your cv Maj.

Goldfish memories abound on here NNN.

I presume you can prove that neal?

I don't think I need to.

If you say it's garbage and you wouldn't I respect that, but you surely can't argue some people would have a pop at him for it?

It's probably something we will never agree on, but I think he's right to remind that we are a work in progress after the last few seasons. Not many Rovers I spoke to prior to the season starting were expecting much more than were getting at the minute? As I said before If were not top 6 come xmas then he will have failed, and I will agree with you. At the minute he's the manager of my football team and i'll back him to the hilt.

Everyone has their own idea of what type of manager they want. He's right to remind us that we're a work in progress but the fans don't want to be constantly reminded of our recent failings, particularly from our own manager! How the hell are we supposed to move on from it if we're constantly reminded of it? Like i say, scaremongering already very cynical Rovers fans is not the way to go about it, the past is the past and all we want is a fresh start. Next season will make or break him, this season has been completely his own, you could almost call it a building season or more accurately a 'stability' season, so next term there are absolutely no hiding places and no excuses and the results will absolutely speak for themselves... If there are excuses then surely everyone will to have to just accept that he's not the man for the job.

Finally, I'm not sure if your last sentence implies I don't back our manager but... I don't boo, I clap good performances and give credit where credit is due and i think thats fair enough. This is just my opinion.

Everyone has their own idea of what type of manager they want. He's right to remind us that we're a work in progress but the fans don't want to be constantly reminded of our recent failings, particularly from our own manager! How the hell are we supposed to move on from it if we're constantly reminded of it? Like i say, scaremongering already very cynical Rovers fans is not the way to go about it, the past is the past and all we want is a fresh start. Next season will make or break him, this season has been completely his own, you could almost call it a building season or more accurately a 'stability' season, so next term there are absolutely no hiding places and no excuses and the results will absolutely speak for themselves... If there are excuses then surely everyone will to have to just accept that he's not the man for the job.

Finally, I'm not sure if your last sentence implies I don't back our manager but... I don't boo, I clap good performances and give credit where credit is due and i think thats fair enough. This is just my opinion.

Really struggle to see how this season hasn't been a fresh start? I agree about next season making or breaking him, but more positives than negatives for me.

This season has been a blank canvas of sorts, thrown into the circus, here catch this midget Mr Bowyer.

We've had the litmus test this season, I think Bowyer has dipped his toe into the furious and technically lacking Championship pond, he's taken a while to adjust (first managers job so understandably), now he needs to throw himself in, perhaps he lacks authority and confidence, but he's a football man, he's not daft, just cautious.

Build from the back I hear? Granted, thats been difficult, we've lacked a spine, a team identity, I believe (nee hope, pray!!) he's up to it, we've only got to get to next season, right?!

Therein lies our problem, no-one trusts Venkys to appoint experience, so we cling to hope that our home-grown Managling (I'm copyrighting that!) comes good and takes us to the "Promised Land" where we have riches and untold happiness!!

No, we'd simply be put back where we were (deserve and belong are all subjectable) I don't trust the (none-flying?) V's as much as the next person, but they pay the bills (allegedly) and we need that until this White Knight appears on horseback, adorned in blue and white armour to save our beautiful club.

He's earned his crack I reckon, if we knew what Huey, Duey & Luey have planned then we might not even need this poll, could be better, could be worse, if we knew we'd be in existence in 3 years time I don't think the majority of us would be freaking out.

So yeah, don't know is all I've got at the moment, I think Bowyer is growing into a manager but is it going to be good enough? Could be Fergie, could be Ince.

• Moderation Lead

It's a very simplistic view (the blog that Chaddy linked), and just ties in with a holier than thou attitude some supporters display to other supporters that dare to question GB.

This season has been a blank canvas of sorts, thrown into the circus, here catch this midget Mr Bowyer.

We've had the litmus test this season, I think Bowyer has dipped his toe into the furious and technically lacking Championship pond, he's taken a while to adjust (first managers job so understandably), now he needs to throw himself in, perhaps he lacks authority and confidence, but he's a football man, he's not daft, just cautious.

Build from the back I hear? Granted, thats been difficult, we've lacked a spine, a team identity, I believe (nee hope, pray!!) he's up to it, we've only got to get to next season, right?!

Therein lies our problem, no-one trusts Venkys to appoint experience, so we cling to hope that our home-grown Managling (I'm copyrighting that!) comes good and takes us to the "Promised Land" where we have riches and untold happiness!!

No, we'd simply be put back where we were (deserve and belong are all subjectable) I don't trust the (none-flying?) V's as much as the next person, but they pay the bills (allegedly) and we need that until this White Knight appears on horseback, adorned in blue and white armour to save our beautiful club.

He's earned his crack I reckon, if we knew what Huey, Duey & Luey have planned then we might not even need this poll, could be better, could be worse, if we knew we'd be in existence in 3 years time I don't think the majority of us would be freaking out.

So yeah, don't know is all I've got at the moment, I think Bowyer is growing into a manager but is it going to be good enough? Could be Fergie, could be Ince.

Good post but you are to late for the Managling, it is a term used in the printing industry

Really struggle to see how this season hasn't been a fresh start? I agree about next season making or breaking him, but more positives than negatives for me.

I never questioned this season wasn't a fresh start, it's the manager who keeps bringing it up, why hark on about the past? It's not the first time he's used that one either! All that aside, let's just hope carries on where he left off on Tuesday and proves me wrong.

Certain posters have completely erased what's happened over the past 4yrs and have unrealistic expectations.

Bowyer has done tremendously well this season and the man should be applauded not vilified, yes he's made mistakes but he's still learning.

Sadly some supporters think glory is a god given right for a club like ours, but back into the real world, it's not!

Would I replace him? Probably if the right manager comes along, but that shouldn't take away from the job he's done this season.

Tremendously well? Not sure about that. But he has been been very solid and dependable for sure and I'd like him to stick around in some capacity if at all possible.

A big squad with big wages needs feeding. We must go all out to get out of this division. Millions on star strikers, penny pinching in the key role at the club. This is Blackburn Rovers and they are billionaires. It's a big job and takes big shoes to fill it.

Archived