BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Back Or Sack?

Guest Wen Y Hu

Back Or Sack  

394 members have voted

1. 1. Should Gary Bowyer continue as manager of Blackburn Rovers?

• No, he should be sacked immediately.
    • Yes, but replace him at the end of the season.
    • Yes, but give him to the end of the season and then review his position.
    • Yes, he should receive full backing to manage next season.
    • I'm not sure.

This season we've found that Simon Eastwood Jake Kean Adam Henley Todd Kane Lee Willimason Jason Lowe Chris Taylor Alan Judge Marrow Songo'o Dabo DJ Campbell Luke Varney just to name a few havent and arent good enough for Rovers first team with the results showing this.

So look forward to seeing who's services GB dispenses with come the summer.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He's more exposed in the middle so it's more noticeable, he doesn't tackle in there because he's quite easily out thought and out manoeuvered. Playing full back he should always be facing play and the threat coming towards him making it easier to assess whether he should tackle and then actually making the tackle.

Sorry for the confusion, I'll be sure to proof read for you in future.

I'm easily confused, especially when non tackling, defensively weak players easily bypassed are championed for defensive roles.

I'm easily confused, especially when non tackling, defensively weak players easily bypassed are championed for defensive roles.

Hardly 'championing' him. He's just the best of a bad bunch.

Wouldn't want to be classed as a hater so trying to find a use for him in the current set up and he didn't do badly there in the past. My honest assessment of him though is that he's playing at least a division above his capabilities in midfield.

Lowe has captained England under-20s and played 11 times for England under-21s. Personally I find it hard to fathom how that could have happened if the lad can't do a job.

For me the performance level of the defence and defensive midfielder very much depends on the manager, coaches and tactics. Defending depends less on ability and more on how a team is taught to defend as a unit and how much their attacking bravado will expose the defence.

Rovers in 2004/05 under Hughes conceeded less than Everton who qualified for the Champions League. The star players who did it? Neill, Johansson, Matteo, Todd and Mokoena. And more recently look no further than N'Zonzi to see how much a manager effects young players in that position.

Lowe's first 3 seasons at Rovers have been overseen by Kean, chaos and Bowyer. Can't help but feel there's probably something more to him that hasn't been allowed to develop.

Stuart posted stats that proved conclusively that playing both Williamson and Lowe leads to us picking up the least points, then Lowe alone, then Williamson alone without the other. We get less points with Lowe in the team. Unfortunately, he will walk back into the starting 11.

The reason why Lowe should be moved to full back and the tackling debate is flawed is that when faced with a man coming at him, he is easily tricked and misses a tackle in centre mid. However, as a full back, the coaching will have you shepherd the winger down the wing and gives you the opportunity to use your stronger foot to put a tackle in from alongside.

This season we've found that Simon Eastwood Jake Kean Adam Henley Todd Kane Lee Willimason Jason Lowe Chris Taylor Alan Judge Marrow Songo'o Dabo DJ Campbell Luke Varney just to name a few havent and arent good enough for Rovers first team with the results showing this.

So look forward to seeing who's services GB dispenses with come the summer.

I'd say that the jury is still out on eastwood but that Taylor and Lowe are valuable members of our first team squad. But take no notice of me cos I'm not one of the 'chasing flock' I just judge things by what I see with my own eyes and not on the opinions of the back of the goals intelligentsia.

• Backroom

I've criticised when I thought it was called for but 7 points from 3 home games against 'decent' sides is great stuff

Much rather a Bowyer type than Redknapp for sure his team were a joke, bags of talent but zero effort or desire

I've criticised when I thought it was called for but 7 points from 3 home games against 'decent' sides is great stuff

Much rather a Bowyer type than Redknapp for sure his team were a joke, bags of talent but zero effort or desire

And yet more or less nailed on for the playoffs, and no chance of automatic. Maybe they are coasting Tom?

On the unbeaten run side of things there have been plenty draws and perfectly arguable that some winning positions were chucked away. Draws are f####g useless in this league if you want to get somewhere. There's been plenty constructive argument as to the manager setting out for and being happy with draws.

What gets measured gets done.

Success = promotion to PL, anything else is failure.

Simple really.

And where did you predict us to finish this season Mercerman?

This no promotion = failure is @#/?.

We've got a young, hungry squad with an extremely strong work ethic and togetherness that has been thrown together in just under 12 months. Yes the manager can make mistakes tactically, and yes as times we are a frustrating side to support. I predicted around the 12th mark this season based on the complete shambles of the previous 3 years and the horrendously unbalanced sack of @#/? Bowyer was left with.

To be still discussing the play offs at this point is a decent result IMO

Those who voted sack immediately are looking a bit foolish right now. 7 unbeaten, 2 wins and clean sheets in a row, 4 points off the play offs. Please tell me that is not progress!!

I can sympathise with those who want him out because the need for promotion this season was paramount. But imo, with the net spend this season, i'm not sure an experienced head would have done any better. I was one who called for an experienced manager and i do still believe that would have been the way to go. But you have to say, what Bowyer has brought in has been very very good for this level. The big question mark is how he sets up the side and the changes he does or does not make. But would an experienced man have put up with the lack of funds and the dirty work involved in scouring the market for budget players? An experienced manager often gets lazy because they beliEve their reputation affords them the luxury of demanding funds as required. A man of Bowyers stature gets credit for unearthing a talent on a shoe string budget. Personally speaking (and not just because of tonights result) i'm quite encouraged by Bowyer's performance. But then again, i view it the same way i do of a young player like Mahoney for instance. Both are rookies and both will make mistakes. I'm willing to accept that of both in their respective roles.

When you are losing £30million+ per season, promotion is the only success criteria.

V's wont be sat in Pune thinking 'good old Gazza has made some decent progress, let's throw another £20odd million into the pot'.

Those who voted sack immediately are looking a bit foolish right now. 7 unbeaten, 2 wins and clean sheets in a row, 4 points off the play offs. Please tell me that is not progress!!

We have definitely got some fire in our bellies at the moment. Maybe it's down to Bowyer, although his reverting to Willowe suggests he has learned nothing, or maybe they've been told that without PL football many of them will be sold to reduce the wage bill.

Maybe they've just gelled at the right time. Playing 5 games without Lowe may have improved confidence enough to accommodate him when he is playing. I've said before, although I call him the water carrier in jest, he could be the glue that holds a good side together, or the blu-tac of a bad one. *nods to theno*

It's a strange situation that we have generated the momentum after not having him in the side for half a dozen games meaning that we can nowvcope with him being the 'spare man'. How long can Williamson, Cairney and Conway keep up that workrate for though?

After watching the Burnley and Bournemouth defeats I would have sacked Bowyer. But having seen all of the last seven games I would defiantly back him not only have the results been good but the performances have improved and we are now playing our best football of the season. I think that we have just given ourselves too much to do this season but if we can add a couple players to this squad for next season then I see no reason why we can't push for the top 2 next season.

Redknapps an over rated barrow boy anyway. He loves the limelight and quickly loses interest when it's not on him or his team. Same squad but change of manager and they'll be up there next season, mind you wouldn't bet against them being the ones to go through in the play offs.

Bowyers had over a full season now, signed almost 20 players, reshaped squad to his liking.

It's simple, no excuses, are we good enough.

If promoted, yes cracking job, if not promoted, he's failed. Next man please.

It's black and white.

I think the final 12 games of the season (7 played unbeaten) should earn Bowyer a stay of execution IF he finished strongly and just misses out. Of course it will be frustrating given the points we have dropped but the only reason to change at that point would be if the 'right' person becomes available at the end of the season and we have to act or miss out.

Oh, and for Venkys to grow a brain.

exactly Rovers11.

excellent performance tonight. Tactics spot on tonight

7 unbeaten and chance of the playoffs now.

this is very good progress being made

Bowyers had over a full season now, signed almost 20 players, reshaped squad to his liking.

Thats bullshit Mercer. And you're clever enough to know it. If i had £50 to decorate my front room then i'd make the best of it. If i had £500 quid i'd get somewhere closer to what i really want. But give me endless funds i'd have exactly what i want. Bowyer is trying to make a silk purse out of a sows ear. With this season and this club, its anything but black and white.

Archived