BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Back Or Sack?

Guest Wen Y Hu

Back Or Sack  

394 members have voted

1. 1. Should Gary Bowyer continue as manager of Blackburn Rovers?

• No, he should be sacked immediately.
    • Yes, but replace him at the end of the season.
    • Yes, but give him to the end of the season and then review his position.
    • Yes, he should receive full backing to manage next season.
    • I'm not sure.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As for Freedman, I'd take him in a heartbeat over Bowyer. Fantastic job at Palace. Add Rhodes to the Bolton side and they would be in the play-offs and Rovers would be fighting relegation.

Speculative opinion at best.

If you want mid table or below , keep Bowyer ....

'Below'. Why? What makes you say that?

I've been to a few games, missed more than that, watched on tv and computer, both home and away.

I don't remember you being short of a viewpoint when you got a golfing season ticket Gord.

Dont get so touchy! tbh I dont make much comment on how matches go if I'm not there. I may comment on the bits that I see on telly but thats about it. Only reason I ask is cos when I go now I quite enjoy watching them without the stench of corruption in my nostrils the entire match. I enjoy the honest and open competition too as opposed to the Premier League annual procession that we were used too. Rem I'm not Ewood Spark. I couldn't ever stomach much less condone the corruption. I absolutely hated going to Ewood knowing that the club was so obviously on a suicide mission and that the precious Premier League legacy left by the Trust was being spewed on the alter of incompetence on one part and greed on the other.

Dunno why I'm telling you den cos you knew that already.

btw Dont honestly know how you to watch live matches on the computer these days.

Hey Chaddy, chill out !

Have a look at the Karen Silk thread on the 27 Jan. where I said "Picked up a bit of gossip that V's supposedly close to announcing her replacement and also that there may well be a further senior appointment but not sure in what capacity".

Cheston appointment as FD announced just 4 days later on 31 Jan. followed by Myers announcement soon after ;)

Those wires must be crossed again !

Chaddy - Rovers job is still a very attractive one despite the V's. Who would be interested? Well there's at least 20 out of work managers with decent pedigrees, about 65 managers in the Football League and probably about another 12 north of the border. So that would be about 100 to go at!

As for Freedman, I'd take him in a heartbeat over Bowyer. Fantastic job at Palace. Add Rhodes to the Bolton side and they would be in the play-offs and Rovers would be fighting relegation.

I don't know any bolton fans who would agree with that statement, and I know a lot!

The division will be harder next season ...Wolves up , Sunderland , Cardiff, norwich down...

We missed a trick this season , the league is very poor ...

If Sunderland come down then will be massive overhaul of the squad as Poyet said 2 weeks ago. wage bill there is crazy. will Poyet stay? big question that. currently beating Man City 2-1 atm

Cardiff will lose some key players aswell imo.

Norwich chances will be down to who they choose as the next manager

Wolves will need to improve the striker options a lot to challenge imo

If Sunderland come down then will be massive overhaul of the squad as Poyet said 2 weeks ago. wage bill there is crazy. will Poyet stay? big question that. currently beating Man City 2-1 atm

Cardiff will lose some key players aswell imo.

Norwich chances will be down to who they choose as the next manager

Wolves will need to improve the striker options a lot to challenge imo

2-2 with 4 mins extra to play

Still maintain that the close season is too late to replace Bowyer unless another manager is already in place and he has had time to assess. End of Feb, beginning of March would have been the time to replace Bowyer.

I agree with Mercerman in that there are plenty of managers available who would be interested but NONE are a guaranteed success.

Next season will be hard but everybody said this season would be hard but with the right leadership I feel we would have been much higher.

I still see overhaul fitness as a concern.

Yes limited progress has been made but some major points need looking at this squad. I just don't see Bowyer as the man but a new man needs time, which if we are going to make a good start to next season, which we ain't got.

some good points made there Dingles staying down 4ever. disagree with the Bowyer view you have but we will have to agree to disagree.

but the fitness side is a problem and the amount of injuries we get as a club. would like to see Bowyer address this.

Still maintain that the close season is too late to replace Bowyer unless another manager is already in place and he has had time to assess. End of Feb, beginning of March would have been the time to replace Bowyer.

I agree with Mercerman in that there are plenty of managers available who would be interested but NONE are a guaranteed success.

Next season will be hard but everybody said this season would be hard but with the right leadership I feel we would have been much higher.

I still see overhaul fitness as a concern.

Would have been lunacy. What proper reason would you have given to sack the manager and cause maximum disruption to the squad the week before the Burnley match?

It was the sacking a manager for no good reason that got us in this mess remember.

I also think criticism of squad fitness is a myth made up on here too. Sure Dunny blows bubbles after 60 mins and maybe one or two others in midfield get played out but I don't see fitness probs with very many. The defence are fine, Rhodes seems OK cos he spends most of the time conserving his energy, Conway and Gestede are fine. Evans is still coming back from a long lay off so he prob needs consideration cos tiredness can cause other injuries, Lowe has no fitness issues whatsoever that I can see, same with Taylor, not even Williamson cos whilst he puts a good shift in it's at a snails pace, . Admittedly King like all speedsters needs using in bursts and Cairney maybe needs special treatment but thats about it. Just another example of things being repeated often enough on here that people start to believe it..... and repeat it!

Dont get so touchy! tbh I dont make much comment on how matches go if I'm not there. I may comment on the bits that I see on telly but thats about it. Only reason I ask is cos when I go now I quite enjoy watching them without the stench of corruption in my nostrils the entire match. I enjoy the honest and open competition too as opposed to the Premier League annual procession that we were used too. Rem I'm not Ewood Spark. I couldn't ever stomach much less condone the corruption. I absolutely hated going to Ewood knowing that the club was so obviously on a suicide mission and that the precious Premier League legacy left by the Trust was being spewed on the alter of incompetence on one part and greed on the other.Dunno why I'm telling you den cos you knew that already.btw Dont honestly know how you to watch live matches on the computer these days.

Not being touchy

There isn't any one particular reason why I haven't been as much this season, it comes down to a number of factors if I was truthful. At the moment the passion isn't there. I would love for it to return, but you can't force it, - it's either there, or it isn't. As for commenting on all things Ewood, well I don't comment on games I haven't seen, nor do I comment on performances I haven't seen. I've seen enough of Bowyer as I need to, to be able to make some kind of judgement. I wouldn't have given him the gig full time, just as I wouldn't have given Ince any opportunity at the time he was appointed. Sometimes you just get a gut feeling about a manager - sometimes it's right and sometimes it's wrong. Remember John Williams saying Souness's was the right man at the right time because of the clubs circumstances? Well I feel Bowyer is possibly the right man, but at the wrong time.

Oh, computer - you're right, it's hopeless. Think I've tried to watch it once this season.

Would have been lunacy. What proper reason would you have given to sack the manager and cause maximum disruption to the squad the week before the Burnley match?

It was the sacking a manager for no good reason that got us in this mess remember.

I also think criticism of squad fitness is a myth made up on here too. Sure Dunny blows bubbles after 60 mins and maybe one or two others in midfield get played out but I don't see fitness probs with very many. The defence are fine, Rhodes seems OK cos he spends most of the time conserving his energy, Conway and Gestede are fine. Evans is still coming back from a long lay off so he prob needs consideration cos tiredness can cause other injuries, Lowe has no fitness issues whatsoever that I can see, same with Taylor, not even Williamson cos whilst he puts a good shift in it's at a snails pace, . Admittedly King like all speedsters needs using in bursts and Cairney maybe needs special treatment but thats about it. Just another example of things being repeated often enough on here that people start to believe it..... and repeat it!

After the Bournemouth game [12/3/14] we had a very good reason to dismiss because the three previous games were little short of embarrassing. It was why this thread was started. Were those performances good enough? No. Was the manager blameless? No.

It is not just Dunn who blows after 60 minutes. It is usually the majority of our midfielders with the exception of Lowe and Taylor. Watch them all drop further and further back because they struggle to move out. This is turn leaves the forwards isolated. Williamson is the prime example. In the recent weeks his performances have been OK but how many games has he finished? Cairney's another. Gestede also looks knackered after an hour and we end replacing him with the waste of space Varney. Injuries are part and parcel of the game but we seem to suffer more than most teams.

Not being touchy

There isn't any one particular reason why I haven't been as much this season, it comes down to a number of factors if I was truthful. At the moment the passion isn't there. I would love for it to return, but you can't force it, - it's either there, or it isn't. As for commenting on all things Ewood, well I don't comment on games I haven't seen, nor do I comment on performances I haven't seen. I've seen enough of Bowyer as I need to, to be able to make some kind of judgement. I wouldn't have given him the gig full time, just as I wouldn't have given Ince any opportunity at the time he was appointed. Sometimes you just get a gut feeling about a manager - sometimes it's right and sometimes it's wrong. Remember John Williams saying Souness's was the right man at the right time because of the clubs circumstances? Well I feel Bowyer is possibly the right man, but at the wrong time.

Oh, computer - you're right, it's hopeless. Think I've tried to watch it once this season.

Personally I believe Gary Bowyer is a bit like Tony Parkes was. BUT we are no longer able to attract the likes of KMD, Hodgson, Hughes etc. If that had been the situation back then I'm sure TP would have been given a tilt at the job full time as quite a lot of supporters felt he deserved if I rem correctly.

It's time a lot of commentators of here realised that with our financial plight and uncertain future as it is generally understood to be that the Barnsley / Blackpool / Bournemouth / etc etc gigs are more attractive to out of work football managers. To use a well worn word that I bloody well hate... they have 'stability'.

Our job is for managers who are either currently unknown in the lower Divisions or a few old old has beens and never have beens who are drinking in the last chance saloon. Since Hughes went the Ewood office is a managerial Elephants graveyard and no one can deny that.

some good points made there Dingles staying down 4ever. disagree with the Bowyer view you have but we will have to agree to disagree.

but the fitness side is a problem and the amount of injuries we get as a club. would like to see Bowyer address this.

Will agree to disagree as you too have made some valid points. Just feel that for the club to progress we need someone with more vision and awareness although Bowyer has some good points. Like him to be given an alternative position at the club though.

After the Bournemouth game [12/3/14] we had a very good reason to dismiss because the three previous games were little short of embarrassing. It was why this thread was started. Were those performances good enough? No. Was the manager blameless? No.

Hope I'm not being pedantic but you wrote end of Feb / beginning of March. I take that to mean last week / first week. We played Notlob on the 1 March and then didn't play again until 9th and 12th. What possible reason would have for potting him the end of Feb when the 3 matches in February had yielded 7 points out of 9?

Personally I believe Gary Bowyer is a bit like Tony Parkes was. BUT we are no longer able to attract the likes of KMD, Hodgson, Hughes etc. If that had been the situation back then I'm sure TP would have been given a tilt at the job full time as quite a lot of supporters felt he deserved if I rem correctly.

It's time a lot of commentators of here realised that with our financial plight and uncertain future as it is generally understood to be that the Barnsley / Blackpool / Bournemouth / etc etc gigs are more attractive to out of work football managers. To use a well worn word that I bloody well hate... they have 'stability'.

Our job is for managers who are either currently unknown in the lower Divisions or a few old old has beens and never have beens who are drinking in the last chance saloon. Since Hughes went the Ewood office is a managerial Elephants graveyard and no one can deny that.

Could be wrong but wasn't Parkes given the job full time after Kidd left but Souness brought in Feburary after as it was not working? He did do a fine job before the money after SAxton.departed though.

Few wanted Souness because of his stint at Liverpool but he came in and did a great job. He spent the rest of the season assessing his squad and then started rebuilding in the summer. Many wanted him out after poor performances in that end of season but he knew what he was doing.

It is this model I would of liked Rovers to have followed this season but now it is too late.

As for managers wanting the Blackpool gig more than Rovers, why did Appleton walk out of Blackpool to come to Rovers. The only reason Howe left Burnley to return to Bournemouth was his family was homesick. Barnsley have changed managers nearly as much as Rovers in the last two seasons.

I accept many managers want money to spend but there any many capable managers who operate better with no money than with it. To go back to Souness who were his best buys? Those he spent no or little money on.

dingles staying down 4ever - your comments about the timing and appointment of Souness are spot on.

Could a new man with no intimate knowledge on the squad wheel and deal effectively in close season - not too sure about that.

Certainly, replacing Bowyer at Christmas, if he isn't cutting the mustard, would very likely guarantee a fourth season in the Championship.

Not easy decisions but you have to be brave, bold and go with your gut feel - unfortunately, the V's and Shelfy are lacking here.

Personally I believe Gary Bowyer is a bit like Tony Parkes was. BUT we are no longer able to attract the likes of KMD, Hodgson, Hughes etc. If that had been the situation back then I'm sure TP would have been given a tilt at the job full time as quite a lot of supporters felt he deserved if I rem correctly.It's time a lot of commentators of here realised that with our financial plight and uncertain future as it is generally understood to be that the Barnsley / Blackpool / Bournemouth / etc etc gigs are more attractive to out of work football managers. To use a well worn word that I bloody well hate... they have 'stability'.Our job is for managers who are either currently unknown in the lower Divisions or a few old old has beens and never have beens who are drinking in the last chance saloon. Since Hughes went the Ewood office is a managerial Elephants graveyard and no one can deny that.

I've heard all these type of comments about Rovers not being able to attract managers before Gordon. The masses even said Dalglish would never come out of his Liverpool retirement to manage rovers - even under Jack Walker. That idea was laughed at, even by many rovers fans.

These ideas that we can't attract anyone from the whole footballing world better than an academy coach just "do down" our club IMO. They aren't based on fact or history.

Just a shame we didn't go with mick McCarthy.

You just feel that the boat has sailed now.

Bowyer isn't doing poorly enough to make him a dead man walking. He's doing ok, no more than that, just enough to offer some hope of promotion only to not quite get there. The temptation to keep him on must be very strong. Binning him would requir a sizeable payoff.

But it's all moot anyway. Venky's will never bin him

Salgado, thanks for the update on Scottish managers, very helpful.

Really disagree about Grayson - the Leeds fans I know think he did a good job and had his hands tied by constantly having to sell his best players and not having any of the money to reinvest in the squad (something that leads to a downward spiral.) And it should be noted neither of the teams he was sacked from - or any he left for that matter in the championship - were in the relegation zone when he left. He's clearly not out of his depth at championship level. Added to which 3 promotions with 3 sides suggests he has talent as a manager, and knowing the club will be an advantage too. His experience compared to Bowyer is significantly more.

Having said all of that I'd also be very happy with Malky but I wonder if he'll be a bit wary of crackpot owners after his Cardiff experience.

dingles staying down 4ever - your comments about the timing and appointment of Souness are spot on.

Could a new man with no intimate knowledge on the squad wheel and deal effectively in close season - not too sure about that.

Certainly, replacing Bowyer at Christmas, if he isn't cutting the mustard, would very likely guarantee a fourth season in the Championship.

Not easy decisions but you have to be brave, bold and go with your gut feel - unfortunately, the V's and Shelfy are lacking here.

still waiting for this list of managers you have Said would be interest in the Rovers manager job if available. who are they? how do you know they are interest in the job? have you spoken to them yourself?

Bowyer has made some excellent signings and a few poor signings just like every manager does.

Archived