BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Should Hanley be captain?

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Moderation Lead

Never a fan of keepers as captain really, but I don't think Hanley should be if he's incapable of keeping his head.

Not too much to ask is it? 2 red cards in one season? Not good.

Never a fan of keepers as captain really, but I don't think Hanley should be if he's incapable of keeping his head.

Agreed.

The captain should be someone of stature. Unfortunately we ain't got one.

Kilgallon may be an option.

Well having seen the penalty I cannot understand why Hanley was sent off when Morrison clearly fouled him first.

I was all for having a go at Hanley after the stupidity at Wigan but you cannot blame him for this one.

The decision was a disgrace by the ref.

GB had Put his chips on the 3 Amigoes... Henley,Hanley and Lowe.....he really really wanted to put it on Josh Morris aswell but just couldnt .....no matter how hard he tried...Only The Big Headed one should be near the first team squad IMHO...Repeat Squad not the first team Capitain......How an earth this guy is the skipper of BRFC beats me...These are the decsions which shape a manager....

the other 3 are Championship level at best....

He gave Lowe nearly 3 quartrs of the season to prove everybody wrong but no matter how hard he tried he just couldnt do it.....Henley was found out to be a weakling who was targeted by every oppssing manager......Josh Morris is plying his trrade with Fleetwood!...say no more....

I hope GB Learns from his mistakes this year.... All these players have been found ....He needs to be ruthless...

I have no problem with Hanley as captain. today sending off clearly wasn't and should have been probably a foul against Morrison on Hanley.

Hanley was captain of the Academy team when Bowyer was under 18's team manager.

other possible choices are Evans or Rhodes.

I not in favour of Gk's being captain tbh.

but in all honestly I think far TOO MUCH is made of captain's in football these days

I have no problem with Hanley as captain. today sending off clearly wasn't and should have been probably a foul against Morrison on Hanley.

Hanley was captain of the Academy team when Bowyer was under 18's team manager.

other possible choices are Evans or Rhodes.

I not in favour of Gk's being captain tbh.

but in all honestly I think far TOO MUCH is made of captain's in football these days

How is it that you are able to comment with such authority about incidents in a match that you didn't attend? Do you get your "insights" from listening to Radio Rovers?

The trouble is Chaddy, your opinion on most matters is purely based on what Bowyer (or whoever the manager is) does. If he had given it to Kilgallon you saying you had no problem with that and you wouldn't be in favour of Hanley.

You don't think the captain is important though? I can only do what I do with most of your posts: disagree.

How is it that you are able to comment with such authority about incidents in a match that you didn't attend? Do you get your "insights" from listening to Radio Rovers?

Ive seen Both penalties incidents on Sky Sports news this evening. they shown them between 6pm to 7pm. clearly you didnt. not my problem tbh Stuart.

Chaddy has a point in Bowyer obviously has chosen the player he has brought through at every level has captain.

If Robinson is not going to be here next season is there is no point making him captain.

To me Killgallon would be a sound option as captain.

By the way, Hanley's sending off was harsh to say the least. Punishing him by stripping him of the arm band would be incorrect. A repeat of the Wigan incident then questions need to be asked if he is fit to be captain.

I hope GB Learns from his mistakes this year.... All these players have been found ....He needs to be ruthless...

Ruthlessness is without doubt a key aspect of management, but I would also say that it's a personality trait. Can GB change his personality into one within which he becomes more ruthless? that's quite a change from being what he is. Is it doable, off course, anything is possible but can GB do it???

Not sure who else you could give it to. Rashness aside Hanley is our best cb and one of the guaranteed starters.

Robbo - keeper: some say that's a problem, not convinced imo, but he may be off in the summer - I hope he isn't as the alternatives are terrible

Kilgallon - too injury prone, will miss around half a season. Also assuming we get more than 2 cb on the books is he a starter?

Evans - injury prone, not really been with us/in the team all that much - long term possibly, but perhaps a bit early,

Rhodes - sure to start, but not seen much leadership from him

Lowe - as above

IMO it has to be Hanley as am not sure who else can give it to. Perhaps Evans in time, or maybe Robbo if he's staying. However if this is based on yesterday's incident, then I don't think Hanley has a case to answer for with losing it. If it's because we seem to crumble mentally at times this season - then perhaps there is a much stronger argument for getting more leadership on the pitch

I think this has been one of the main problems at Rovers for the last 2-3 years: the lack of a real leader in the squad. We need someone with experience who is vocal and can lead by example. Think Savage, Nelsen, Flitcroft etc. As I'm not able to attend games for obvious reasons I might have missed something, but from what I can see on the telly and read on the net there just doesn't seem to be any standout candidate and that is a real problem if you ask me. If we are to have any hope of being in the promotion-mix next season we should focus on bringing someone of that ilk into the squad over the summer. Don't ask me who though - I don't follow football as passionatly as I used to for some reason.....

I think this has been one of the main problems at Rovers for the last 2-3 years: the lack of a real leader in the squad. We need someone with experience who is vocal and can lead by example. Think Savage, Nelsen, Flitcroft etc. As I'm not able to attend games for obvious reasons I might have missed something, but from what I can see on the telly and read on the net there just doesn't seem to be any standout candidate and that is a real problem if you ask me. If we are to have any hope of being in the promotion-mix next season we should focus on bringing someone of that ilk into the squad over the summer. Don't ask me who though - I don't follow football as passionatly as I used to for some reason.....

We lack leadership at every level in the club.

It's a Venkys thing...

Do people think that Bowyer is wrong to appoint Hanley is captain? He is very young, rash and petulant and surely Robinson is more of a leader?

Keepers shouldn't be Captains.

Anyway hHow can any of us judge who should be Captain anyway? The vast majority of supporters dont know any of the squad personally do they? What criteria do you employ 99?

I think you need to view it on iplayer before you make such comments K-Hod.

Archived