BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Should Hanley be captain?

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He does look a lot fitter to me this season.

So he should be. If someone plonked £10k on the table in front of me and said "you'll get this every week, all you have to do is keep yourself in peak physical condition and do your thing on the pitch", I'd be lean as a butcher's dog.

Modern day footballers are so entitled that they often can't even be arsed working for the huge wages they receive. I wouldn't be out boozing every week or eating keany foods. Then again, I've not had a taste of such riches, whilst these premadonnas have known what was heading their way since signing their first pro deals.

It's always risky appointing a captain who isn't guaranteed to play. Last season I'd have put him 4th choice centre half behind killgallon, Duffy and baptiste.

He has no leadership skills that I have seen in terms of leading by example or organising but I don't see any obvious leaders anywhere else on the pitch (another significant problem in our squad as a whole). So for all I don't think he should be captain can't see an obvious replacements.

Sadly, there are not many candidates for captain in our team.

I think Hanley is a bad choice - he doesn't set the right example either on or off the field.

IMV, Kilgallon should be captain. Has the experience and maturity and was one of our most consistent performers last season.

Additionally, to me, Hanley and Duffy don't work as a pairing - as central defenders, they aren't close enough often enough, leaving gaping gaps which opponents with pace would exploit. Whether this is a player (football intelligence) or coaching issue (the drills aren't right) , or both, I am not sure but if they play as they did against Wigan then Wolves will tear the two of them apart with the players they have.

It shouldn't matter that much who is captain. If you have the right type of player you would have eleven.

How many teams can you say that about?

And I mean at any point in history. There'll be a few, but come on.

How many teams can you say that about?

And I mean at any point in history. There'll be a few, but come on.

No, of course not. Players can and should be vocal though. Which one wears the armband doesn't really matter.

No, of course not. Players can and should be vocal though. Which one wears the armband doesn't really matter.

So a youngish keeper makes a mistake

Captain 1) goes over to him whilst he is on the floor , leans over him pushes him to the ground and gives him an aggressive bollocking

Captain 2) goes over to him and has a quiet word

Doesn't matter who wears the armband?

Captain 1) goes over to him whilst he is on the floor , leans over him pushes him to the ground and gives him an aggressive bollocking

Captain 2) goes over to him and has a quiet word

Doesn't matter who wears the armband?

Pardon Perth?

Was a scenario regarding what you said that it does not matter who wears the armband, the first one was the actions of our current captain the second one is what in theory a captain should do .

imo a strong clued up captain is a benefit to a team especially like ours with quite a few young players so important who wears the armband

Was a scenario regarding what you said that it does not matter who wears the armband, the first one was the actions of our current captain the second one is what in theory a captain should do .

imo a strong clued up captain is a benefit to a team especially like ours with quite a few young players so important who wears the armband

Yeah, OK Perth.

When we won the PL, we had Sherwood, Shearer and Hendry, - all of whom were leaders. It didn't really matter which one had the strip of material around his arm, that's my point.

Yeah, OK Perth.

When we won the PL, we had Sherwood, Shearer and Hendry, - all of whom were leaders. It didn't really matter which one had the strip of material around his arm, that's my point.

No problem, misinterpreted the initial post

Den - your scenario was 20 years ago, Perth's last year...

Of course it would be nice to have lots of leaders and it's an ideal scenario but not the one we are in currently.

I guess it's a matter of opinion but I think the captain should be a very important role and Hanley doesn't look like one on the pitch and the stories of off the pitch...

Anyone know what the staff think and why Hanley is captain?

Surely GB is no idiot and knows Hanley and the rest of the players very well, seems them interact with each other every day so he should be in the ideal position to choose the captain, therefore Hanley must do a lot of good stuff. I don't believe that GB made him captain because they are best mates.

Den - your scenario was 20 years ago, Perth's last year...

Of course it would be nice to have lots of leaders and it's an ideal scenario but not the one we are in currently.

I guess it's a matter of opinion but I think the captain should be a very important role and Hanley doesn't look like one on the pitch and the stories of off the pitch...

Anyone know what the staff think and why Hanley is captain?

Surely GB is no idiot and knows Hanley and the rest of the players very well, seems them interact with each other every day so he should be in the ideal position to choose the captain, therefore Hanley must do a lot of good stuff. I don't believe that GB made him captain because they are best mates.

I think Perth was saying some players shouldn't be captain. I agree with that. All I'm saying is that leaders are leaders whether they have the armband on, or not. That hasn't changed as long as football has been played.

Are you talking about the Eastwood thing? Wasn't it Scott Dann who did it?

Archived