BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Should Hanley be captain?

Keepers shouldn't be Captains.

Anyway hHow can any of us judge who should be Captain anyway? The vast majority of supporters dont know any of the squad personally do they? What criteria do you employ 99?

I think you need to view it on iplayer before you make such comments K-Hod.

You can see who the leaders are on the pitch, who seem to inspire each other. Hanley has more than once shown a petulant streak, I think on the other hand Robinson showed when he returned how much of a calming influence he was on the defence.

We need to sign some experience in the summer and keep Robinson and Dunn. Will it happen?

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This thread was only started because of the sending off today. Having seen the incident on TV it was clearly not Hanley's fault but rather the fault of an incompetent referee. They are paid enough to get these things right. It was not even a penalty and the other penalty decision was dodgy too. You aught to be able to sue in court for incompetence like this never mind fines for bringing the game into disrepute.

Very reactionary thread this, created I can only assume before the red card was shown on TV. Even sat right up the top at the opposite end you could see that their striker fouled Hanley. The captain's role in football though is to basically do the toss once the game starts you need leaders all over the pitch, take the year we won the league Sherwood wasn't the main leader in our squad, the likes of Hendry, Flowers and Shearer were suited to the captaincy but it just goes to show that it doesn't matter whose captain. Football isn't like cricket where the role of the captain is vital.

• 1 year later...

Regular fella that sits next to us at Rovers was telling us some Hanley stories on Saturday. He was saying he drinks in the same pub as Hanley.

Here's a selection of what he said - worth noting these are his words, not mine and is therefore all alleged. Come for a chat in the BBEnd, I'm sure he will tell you direct.

Cheltenham weekend, he walked in the pub and noticed Hanley was in with a big group of lads. He sat at the other side of the bar. He feels someone tap him on the back of the head so turns around and Hanley is there. Hanley says "oi, @#/?". Confused, he replied "what?". At this point Hanley looked down, so he did as well. Hanley had his jeans unbuttoned and his @#/? out.

When he told him a few truths about how a captain of the local football club should act, Hanley replied "its okay, 90% of Rovers fans are spastics anyway".

He also was saying Lowe and Varney both drink in the pub - never any trouble. Varney told him that if they're drinking while they are injured the medical staff notice from their treatments - only ever seen him on soft drinks.

Again, his words, I'm repeating them. It could all be a load of rubbish and entirely fictional. His friend next to him, who is also a ST holder, backed them all up.

• Backroom

Sounds far fetched but let's be honest there is plenty of smoke there is likely to be at least a small fire.

I know he's often trying to get birds back for threesomes with his mates and the like, just needs to be aware that as captain of a professional football club his private life will rightly or wrongly come under scrutiny

Bowyer thinks he's captain material so that's all that counts.

As always if the stories had foundation they'd be in the local press at least, so like the Dunny stories most are complete bobbins.

• Backroom

I find the Dunn tales easy to believe, heard him myself @#/? up amd slagging everyone at the club off in a restaurant in Hurst Green a few years back

I find the Dunn tales easy to believe, heard him myself @#/? up amd slagging everyone at the club off in a restaurant in Hurst Green a few years back

He was probably spot on slagging everyone off at the club a few years back!

I have a mutual friend, so spent a lot of time out with Dunny in late 90's and early 2000's and I never saw him drunk, never saw him abusing or being disrespectful to anyone and we'd be out at least once a week.

So as far as I'm concerned most stuff written about Dunny was rubbish.

Bowyer thinks he's captain material so that's all that counts.

As always if the stories had foundation they'd be in the local press at least, so like the Dunny stories most are complete bobbins.

Why would the stories be in the local press ? Young footballer goes out and gets drunk regularly, yes that's really worth reporting on. With 3 teams in east lancs that's the telerag full for a week. So just because you haven't seen it with your own eyes it's bobbins ? Some of us have and also some of us have a connection who moves in the same circles and believe me this guy Hanley is a plant pot.

• 3 months later...

He was probably spot on slagging everyone off at the club a few years back!

I have a mutual friend, so spent a lot of time out with Dunny in late 90's and early 2000's and I never saw him drunk, never saw him abusing or being disrespectful to anyone and we'd be out at least once a week.

So as far as I'm concerned most stuff written about Dunny was rubbish.

slagging everybody except Steve Kean......... http://www.sportinglife.com/football/news/article/165/7483624/dunn-has-sympathy-for-kean

Surprise surprise it seems he'd just signed a new improved contract too. :glare:

Sounds far fetched but let's be honest there is plenty of smoke there is likely to be at least a small fire.

I know he's often trying to get birds back for threesomes with his mates and the like, just needs to be aware that as captain of a professional football club his private life will rightly or wrongly come under scrutiny

Perv! Personally speaking I'd much rather have a threesome with a bird and her mate! :tu:

slagging everybody except Steve Kean......... http://www.sportinglife.com/football/news/article/165/7483624/dunn-has-sympathy-for-kean

Surprise surprise it seems he'd just signed a new improved contract too. :glare:

Perv! Personally speaking I'd much rather have a threesome with a bird and her mate! :tu:

Wouldn't we all.

I heard some funny stories from when Hanley and Jake Kean were living together. Think Goodwillie got in on the action too if I remember correctly. Know a few hussies who enjoyed trips back there after Rios!

Poor choice of captain still just as it was before. No surprise though probably a nice sweetner in it somewhere. If ever a bid came in for this guy they all want to take the credit and get a piece of the action probably. Another decision where the football comes secondary imv.

22 is very young for any captain. Lacking experience and life-skills. Rarely are captains made so young in professional sport. I find it a very strange decision to this day.

No he shouldnt be captain imo. Not until he grows up a tad and earns the role, The highlighted problem being we do not have many leaders, or stand out candidates.

Archived