BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Gary Bowyer Discussion

DE.

Of course we've brought in more than we've spent but the fees on incoming players surely exceeds £1.5mill. The Duffy fee alone was reportedly £1.5mill including add ons (something like £300k up front). Marshall was 100% £1mill+ alone and the Cairney, Conway and Gestede transfers reportedly add up to £1mill. I don't think Steele was a freebie either. Plus a number of free transfers on £10k per week a piece and countless loans that no doubt cost in wages (think Dabo, Feeney, Taylor etc). I think Bowyer has been backed pretty well. Previous summer and before he was praising the owners for investing in whoever he wanted to get, only now FFP has kicked in and he's failed to meet his set targets (he has always said the squad was capable of pushing for play-offs) has he blamed our lack of funds and remarked on the spending powers of other teams.

EDIT: and yes, the money wasted by Kean etc is unforgivable and seriously hindered our capabilities of getting out of this division. I would argue that Bowyer has been well backed in comparison to the likes of McCarthy at Ipswich.

90percent of championship managers yearn for what GB has spent as well as bringing other players on loan... GB has failed no dressing up plain an simply failed

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Moderation Lead

Of course we've brought in more than we've spent but the fees on incoming players surely exceeds £1.5mill. The Duffy fee alone was reportedly £1.5mill including add ons (something like £300k up front). Marshall was 100% £1mill+ alone and the Cairney, Conway and Gestede transfers reportedly add up to £1mill. I don't think Steele was a freebie either. Plus a number of free transfers on £10k per week a piece and countless loans that no doubt cost in wages (think Dabo, Feeney, Taylor etc). I think Bowyer has been backed pretty well. Previous summer and before he was praising the owners for investing in whoever he wanted to get, only now FFP has kicked in and he's failed to meet his set targets (he has always said the squad was capable of pushing for play-offs) has he blamed our lack of funds and remarked on the spending powers of other teams.

EDIT: and yes, the money wasted by Kean etc is unforgivable and seriously hindered our capabilities of getting out of this division. I would argue that Bowyer has been well backed in comparison to the likes of McCarthy at Ipswich.

It's tough to argue with any of that to be fair.

• Backroom

Spot on. FFP being used an excuse for our failures this season is frankly laughable. I very much doubt Gary really believes it, either, but it's all about excuses now that end of season targets haven't been met.

And I thought it was all the fans fault !

Yep us and the FFP make impossible for the poor little loves to get anywhere. Close the ground madame, sell half the team to lift the embargo madame and I guarantee you we'll have a magnificent season. We don't need those whingers in the stands and we've got Browny and Varney waiting in the wings. Now, about that rolling contract.....................

Spot on. FFP being used an excuse for our failures this season is frankly laughable. I very much doubt Gary really believes it, either, but it's all about excuses now that end of season targets haven't been met.

Laughable? Insulting more like

• Backroom

Did anyone actually read the article in full? At the bottom:

Bowyer cut a deeply disappointed figure after his side twice threw away a lead against Birmingham.

It was the ninth time this season they have failed to take three points after going in front.

And Bowyer said: “You saw how I was after the game on Tuesday and the frustration I had because, no disrespect, we should have been winning that game.

“We didn’t and we’ve had a few games like that now, Millwall away, Blackpool at home, Huddersfield at home, and there’s six points without really going through it.

“That’s the frustrating thing and on Tuesday it probably boiled over for me.”

Ninth-placed Rovers will go into tomorrow’s clash with 10th-placed Forest 15 points behind the top six.

And Bowyer said: “The league table reflects how you’ve been throughout a course of a season and we haven’t been ruthless enough.”

Bowyer cut a deeply disappointed figure after his side twice threw away a lead against Birmingham.

It was the ninth time this season they have failed to take three points after going in front.

And Bowyer said: “You saw how I was after the game on Tuesday and the frustration I had because, no disrespect, we should have been winning that game.

“We didn’t and we’ve had a few games like that now, Millwall away, Blackpool at home, Huddersfield at home, and there’s six points without really going through it.

Ninth-placed Rovers will go into tomorrow’s clash with 10th-placed Forest 15 points behind the top six.

And Bowyer said: “The league table reflects how you’ve been throughout a course of a season and we haven’t been ruthless enough.”

I can't remember the intricates of the other games but it wasn't that we weren't ruthless vs Blackpool, it's that we didn't set up with any intent to go at them and win the game. Bowyer seemed happy with a draw.

I can't remember the intricates of the other games but it wasn't that we weren't ruthless vs Blackpool, it's that we didn't set up with any intent to go at them and win the game. Bowyer seemed happy with a draw.

Sounds like he's been reading the board again :)

Did anyone actually read the article in full?

Yes

He sounds despondent and to me he comes across as someone who would bin off most of them if he had money. I think he's finding a few of them aren't quite there mentally.

• Backroom

Boiling point should have been months ago!

Ok.

Did Tony Pulis apply for the Rovers job?

Anybody?

Someone said he approached Rovers. Not sure I believe it either tbh but I have no doubt we have had some good managers come forward over the last few years. Unfortunately Venky's have a penchant for questionable appointments, most notably promoting coaches above their station.

Someone said he approached Rovers. Not sure I believe it either tbh but I have no doubt we have had some good managers come forward over the last few years. Unfortunately Venky's have a penchant for questionable appointments, most notably promoting coaches above their station.

Can't disagree, Bowyer was the wrong appointment and should have been relieved of his duties Octoberish last year. I almost gnawed my arm off in frustration when Ipswich got McCarthy.

I think we can also agree that it is very unlikely that Tony Pulis applied for the Rovers gig?

The same can be said about bowyer being a good man, full of integrity and honest, loyal, many have said that on here, most have never met him so then how would they know this?

Sorry this is in reply to gav 10.11am

People maybe suggest that in the absence of evidence to the contrary.

Just a thought.

Once again Chaddy wants PROOF for others' posts when never offering any himself!

And once again you post aggressively against someone you don't agree with. Shall we revisit your problematic history in all of this?? It isn't good, you shouted the JW Trust out from the get-go ... you assumed that any new owner would bring a pot of gold to bring in fantasy players with fantasy money on fantasy budgets. YOU welcomed the Venyks with open arms as a replacement for the JW trust. Just look at your contributions :

But how is what the Walker trust has delivered in the last ten years relevant to our future? ... I can understand anyone who says "Rovers need to be sold but only to someone suitable" but I can't understand those who say "let's hope the Trust ownership continues

And thats why I've been responding negatively to those who say "stick with the Trust". That's only any good if they invested in the club which clearly they have ceased to do.Continue down that road and we WILL be relegated. Common-sense not "scare-mongering" Tris

My response back in June 2010 :

I'll tell you what will relegate the club.

"Investors" coming in. They will be looking to make money - end of story. Be that in the short, medium, or long term.

The club already uses TV revenue to chase wage inflation - which helps maintain our status. Some of the next TV increase appears to have already been spent on current wages.

So how are "investors" going to make money in the short term, without diminishing what is spent on wages? Maybe double ticket prices - as that's the only other major income stream. Won't that go down well with the fans?

So maybe keep the £209 Season Tix and instead have a drastic cut in wages for short term financial return on the back of the TV money. Cut top wages = goodbye Samba, goodbye Givet, goodbye Salgado, goodbye Robinson ... that will eventually lead to ... relegation.

In the longer term, the only way to make money out of BRFC would be to increase the value of the club. Not many ways to do that - drag the club into the Champions League places on a regular basis is one (cost 100s of millions, see Man City) ... construct on Ewood and / or Brockhall is another ... increase revenue from the existing fan base is the only other.

And if someone comes in, and does increase the value of the club to sell it on - what is the next buyer going to want to do?? ---->> Increase the value of the club again!! How?? Can't you understand that this barmy model just doesn't work?? Look at Porstmouth for crying out loud.

Your £15 million quid into a transfer pot isn't going to help in the slightest, because whoever puts in the £15 million is going to want it back with interest. And it's only going to buy one Steven Fletcher and less than a half of Joe Cole.

If new owners don't follow the curve and use TV money to pay wages, the club will drop down the league. The only other place they can come for cash is ticket revenue. The current owners have allowed the current management to perform miracles on price and attendance, and you want to throw all that away for a minor boost to the trasfer kitty.

Thankfully none of the dreadful scenarios above are being played out under the current ownership.

There is no profit to be made from owning this football club, playing in this crazy league. It really is that simple.

47er, you desperately wanted rid of the Walker Trust, so much so that you couldn't see past your blinkers to what would follow.

You got us the Venkys. Well done. Thanks.

I don't see why you and Blueboy should have the field entirely to yourselves.

I was trying to make the point that if you keep making inflammatory posts like that, you will inevitably provoke a similar response.

I don't understand why you are corrupting this 20 year old messageboard, and trying to manipulate the stats. You alone have made more posts in this topic (at time of posting) than both of the people you have called out as "having the field entirely to themselves". Why make that accusation??

I disagree with quite a few views on here, but I think most of them are honest. On the other hand, you called everything wrong last time, and now have the nerve to come back and pretend you have the magic formula for where to go next. Get lost are the polite words which spring to mind.

You got us the Venkys. Well done. Thanks.

Well done? Thanks? What are you thanking him for? He didn't engineer the takeover did he? Fact is, we did need new owners, the Trust weren't interested and investment was likely needed for sustainability. Unfortunately, we ended up with the Venky's. Congrats on your prediction though Tris, I'm sure you feel very pleased with yourself. Hindsight is a wonderful thing, but we were always going to be sold by the trust, the question was whose hands we were going to fall in? Again, the issue was we fell into the hands of blind incompetents being advised by folk only in it for themselves. Had we landed a relatively sane owner/consortium, we might well have been just fine.

Well done? Thanks? What are you thanking him for? He didn't engineer the takeover did he? Fact is, we did need new owners, the Trust weren't interested and investment was likely needed for sustainability. Unfortunately, we ended up with the Venky's. Congrats on your prediction though Tris, I'm sure you feel very pleased with yourself. Hindsight is a wonderful thing, but we were always going to be sold by the trust, the question was whose hands we were going to fall in? Again, the issue was we fell into the hands of blind incompetents being advised by folk only in it for themselves. Had we landed a relatively sane owner/consortium, we might well have been just fine.

I'd rather be stuck with the JW Trust, if that's ok with you. Nothing to do with foresight or hindsight, just common sense. The original point was that 47er had no foresight and no common sense.

I'd rather be stuck with the JW Trust, if that's ok with you. Nothing to do with foresight or hindsight, just common sense. The original point was that 47er had no foresight and no common sense.

The trust were out of there no matter what. I can understand why people wanted to stick with them but unfortunately they didn't want to stick with us.

Archived