BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Gary Bowyer Discussion

DE.

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

you're talking like the Sweeney mate....

.......And we haven't had our breakfast.

Let me assure u gav on this occasion, it was a light hearted joke not meant to offend chaddy, at the time I forgot about his dyslexia

Fair enough roverandout, Chaddy didn't feel that was the case though and that's the most important point here.

It's gone now, over and done.

The Chaddy hating is on the increase again Stuart or I'd have said nowt.

I would miss Chaddy if he didn't post. At the same time its unfair not to be able to treat him like anyone else. If we take the plss out of each other on a regular basis without it descending to anger, that's a positive sign for the MB to me.

I would miss Chaddy if he didn't post. At the same time its unfair not to be able to treat him like anyone else. If we take the plss out of each other on a regular basis without it descending to anger, that's a positive sign for the MB to me.

I think if you "had the @#/?" taken out of you as often as Chaddy does, by the same half a dozen pouncing on every post, it might not seem so positive. It's certainly boring to read.

Hope all the Bowyerettes take a close look at Tim Sherwood.

Sherwood is everything Bowyer isn't.

Sherwood has charisma, drive, tactical nous and young players get the chance to flourish under his management.

Need I say it, stability Bowyer, IMV, is charmless, negative, tactically bereft and has barely given a sniff to the Rovers youngsters (apart from O'Sullivan last week who got an hour, no young lad has had a chance).

To think Sherwood was available for so long after leaving Spurs and linked with other Championship clubs whilst we sat back and did nothing. Don't accept he wouldn't have come provided he was given the right assurances.

What a shambles we are with stability Bowyer leading us nowhere.

Wait a second Mercerman, Sherwood was wanted by Rovers twice when Shebby was here. He was offered the manager job and turned it down. He stayed at Spurs and got a pay rise and took over there as Manager.

Sherwood has done a very good at Villa.

What Championship clubs was he linked to? Only know of Brighton.

Palace and WBA had interviews with him but both didn't appoint him as manager. Wonder why?

Sherwood has charisma, drive, tactical nous and young players get the chance to flourish under his management.

Need I say it, stability Bowyer, IMV, is charmless, negative, tactically bereft and has barely given a sniff to the Rovers youngsters (apart from O'Sullivan last week who got an hour, no young lad has had a chance).

To think Sherwood was available for so long after leaving Spurs and linked with other Championship clubs whilst we sat back and did nothing. Don't accept he wouldn't have come provided he was given the right assurances.

Bowyerettes? How childish and antagonistic. Sherwood may have been linked with championship clubs but if he wanted to manage one then why didn't he? maybe because he was waiting for a Prem job? I'm sure he's gutted he missed out on managing our crackpot club!

As for the rest: Grealish only played because Agbonlahor was injured, Raya played against Leeds, and if it's 'charmless and negative' you're after then check out your own posts.

Its called progress and improvement ..ask the clapppers .

more goading? have a day off.

It's early days for Sherwood, I doubt he'll see out next season to be honest as his 'charisma' will only take that side so far, Levy saw that at Spurs.

To think he would have come here is naive, his ego wouldn't have allowed him to drop a division for starters and we have a manager so it was always pie in the sky.

I'm not saying Sherwood is doing a bad job but he needs more time before he can be judged properly. Villa aren't yet safe from relegation, should they survive and i think that they will, Sherwood's biggest task will come next season. You often see someone go into a job and save a club from the drop but its only short term and they end up faltering the following season and ultimately getting binned off.

Like the much hailed Neil Lennon, after a good start and lifting Bolton in the table, since the turn of the year their form has been patchy at best.

I'm not saying Sherwood is doing a bad job but he needs more time before he can be judged properly. Villa aren't yet safe from relegation, should they survive and i think that they will, Sherwood's biggest task will come next season. You often see someone go into a job and save a club from the drop but its only short term and they end up faltering the following season and ultimately getting binned off.

Like the much hailed Neil Lennon, after a good start and lifting Bolton in the table, since the turn of the year their form has been patchy at best.

Mercer needs to get in their early as all of his managerial predictions so far have been sacked within the year!

Sorry mercer, I couldn't resist!

• Moderation Lead

Oh great, another smug, arrogant and hindsight-based post on Sherwood.

A good 6 months at Spurs and an equally good start at Villa, but at the time we were sniffing around he had no experience and there would have been meltdown on here if we'd replaced Bowyer with a less experience manager. If he turns out to be a great manager then fantastic for Villa. Do we honestly think he'd put up with our structure??? FFS.

That 'passion' would lead to him locking horns with just about everybody.

He's started well, but will it be maintained? It remains to be seen. Let's be fair here as well, Avram Grant had Chelsea within a penalty kick of winning the CL, what's he up to these days? He was about as charismatic as Roy Cropper.

Oh great, another smug, arrogant and hindsight-based post on Sherwood.

A good 6 months at Spurs and an equally good start at Villa, but at the time we were sniffing around he had no experience and there would have been meltdown on here if we'd replaced Bowyer with a less experience manager. If he turns out to be a great manager then fantastic for Villa. Do we honestly think he'd put up with our structure??? FFS.

That 'passion' would lead to him locking horns with just about everybody.

He's started well, but will it be maintained? It remains to be seen. Let's be fair here as well, Avram Grant had Chelsea within a penalty kick of winning the CL, what's he up to these days? He was about as charismatic as Roy Cropper.

Saved me the bother of replying to MM. Last year it was "Coyley", the year before "wee dougie".

I see West Ham fans are being pilloried for wanting rid of Big Sam due to a negative brand of football based on ensuring league and financial stability.

"The more things change, the more they stay the same'

Isn't hindsight a wonderful thing. Now that Sherwood is the best thing since sliced bread people are now using the fact we didn't appoint him as manager as a stick to beat the club with.

Lets be honest here, if Sherwood had been appointed under the Venky/Shebby Singh management he would be facing the same criticisms as Bowyer is now. Whoever is appointed under their watch will be treated by many with suspicion and will face various accusations. Sherwood, despite his reputation as a player, would face the same. As long as we aren't in the promotion mix whoever the manager is, whatever his style of play or personality, that man will face criticism.

Nobody would be bothered about not giving the youngsters a chance if we were in the top six, its only because we've had nothing to play for these last 6-7 games that Bowyer is getting criticised for not playing them. 'Them' being limited to O'Sullivan, Raya and Lenighan as the only ones remotely near the standard required for first team Championship football.

As others have said, it is far too early to judge Sherwood. He's clearly made a big difference to an under-performing Villa side. But we're talking about a dozen games here. It seems to be the same as when Neil Lennon and Dougie Freedman made immediate impacts at their two clubs but their form in recent weeks has been worse than ours. But people would much prefer a 'proper' manager like those.

I don't understand why some now want to lavish praise on Sherwood for reaching the FA Cup final, yet many people refused to give credit to Bowyer for reaching the Quarter Finals on the basis that it was 'only the cup' and that the league takes priority. Basically the reasoning was that our excellent form in the Cup this season meant nothing in the scheme of things because we hadn't done as well as hoped in the league. It doesn't work both ways.

can nobody see that there is a gulf in the personalities of Bowyer and Sherwood? It's obvious who would make the better manager. Title winning captain, rovers legend, lots of charm and charisma.......record of bringing top kids into the first team.

both have the same experience, academy managers.....

Who would you go for if both these chaps walked into your office for interview.......? Who would inspire you in the first 5 minutes of meeting them?

Since when did personality or charisma point towards a managers ability?

Do Arsene Wenger or Van Gaal come across as oozing charisma?

Its just one of a number of traits required. Some managers can't control their emotions on the touchline, others are able to contain them and keep them behind closed doors.

Do Arsene Wenger or Van Gaal come across as oozing charisma?

Absolutely

Its just one of a number of traits required. Some managers can't control their emotions on the touchline, others are able to contain them and keep them behind closed doors.

that the first time I've heard that excuse for the motionless Bowyer....

Van Gaal is motionless. He sits in a chair and barely moves during the game. That hasn't prevented him winning everything in his career though.

I prefer to judge managers on results rather than meaningless criteria like how they speak on tv or how they behave on touchline.

Let's not confuse the two issues here.

1) Should we have appointed Sherwood. As said before and others have said I'm not sure we should, and think it's too early to view him as a managerial success. One good cup run aside, I don't think he's done anything amazing. And back then he had zero experience, the thing we needed - and imo continue to need - the most.

2) Does this mean we should stick with Bowyer. IMO a resounding NO. There's better out there and he's under-performing with the squad we have, if not regressing.

Let's not confuse the two issues. Bowyer shouldn't be our manager, and we've missed the boat on some good replacements, but I wouldn't count Sherwood in that number yet.

Archived