BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Academy & U21s

1 hour ago, neophox said:

Phillips is fifth choice centre half.

I'm guessing Mowbray views him as 6th choice, behind Bradley Johnson, but there's a real possibility of him appearing on the bench before the season is up. I think it is a season too soon, given his age, but it might come to it if/when injuries affect the defence, including the U23s. Sam Barnes, who is probably the U23s most reliable CB, over the past two seasons, has had injury problems too.

It's good to see Vale scoring and that the stint at FC Halifax, in non-league, didn't, seemingly, affect him negatively, as I had feared. He had an ankle injury which kept him out for a while and then he played right wing, as the Halifax No.9 was in good form. Apparently, he did ok, but didn't score many. Injuries seem to be an issue with him.

Vale might well contribute something to the first team in time but, I'm sure that he carries transfer value in the market at least, given his Welsh U21 credentials. Rovers would do well to give him a few games and keep him on contract, either as a first team squad player and/or as a potentially saleable asset.

Edit: It does puzzle me why the U23s rotate goalkeepers virtually every match. Stergiakis had a good game, apparently, in the last fixture and, I would've thought that giving a keeper a run of games is best to develop confidence and experience. It's chop and change every match, which gives everyone game time but no continuity or expression of trust from the management of being first choice. Eastham is, apparently, out of contract in the summer, so it makes sense to find a regular No.3, give him games and confidence in readiness to challenge Pears and, even, Kaminski.

Edited by riverholmes
  • Like 3

34 minutes ago, Ossydave said:

So back to back hattys for Vale now, surely jes knocking on the door of the first team bench at least? 

Always been a fan of Vale. Not many better strikers at this level when he is on form. Really is a well-rounded striker with pace, good feet, great link-up play. Can finish with both feet and gets some headers as well. He's a decent size and looks a little more bulked up now as well. 

I think his only downside is that he's not natural confident, and it shows in his body language at times. Needs to be built up and could be really decent player. At this form he could easily be on the bench and be a useful squad player. A better prospect than Butterworth and couple of years younger as well.  

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, mr bishi said:

Does he look capable of handling his own at a higher level. Brown that is.

Looked decent last game, and impressed tonight. Even though not biggest, he was a man playing against kids. Bombed down the flank from his right-back and got another assist. Looks fit and can handle the ball. Think he could do a job if called upon. Suddenly the right-back is well covered.

1 hour ago, because of boxing day said:

Surprised to see Vale in team tonight given the short number of strikers for tomorrow and the cocerns that BBD  may succumb to his recent exertions.

Game over so give him the early hook and a fast car to South Wales for a bench spot tomorrow,

Probably means that both Breo and Khadra are fit and have travelled. With Hedges being able to play as a forward there is probably enough bodies. 

35 minutes ago, riverholmes said:

I'm guessing Mowbray views him as 6th choice, behind Bradley Johnson, but there's a real possibility of him appearing on the bench before the season is up. I think it is a season too soon, given his age, but it might come to it if/when injuries affect the defence, including the U23s. Sam Barnes, who is probably the U23s most reliable CB, over the past two seasons, has had injury problems too.

It's good to see Vale scoring and that the stint at FC Halifax, in non-league, didn't, seemingly, affect him negatively, as I had feared. He had an ankle injury which kept him out for a while and then he played right wing, as the Halifax No.9 was in good form. Apparently, he did ok, but didn't score many. Injuries seem to be an issue with him.

Vale might well contribute something to the first team in time but, I'm sure that he carries transfer value in the market at least, given his Welsh U21 credentials. Rovers would do well to give him a few games and keep him on contract, either as a first team squad player and/or as a potentially saleable asset.

Edit: It does puzzle me why the U23s rotate goalkeepers virtually every match. Stergiakis had a good game, apparently, in the last fixture and, I would've thought that giving a keeper a run of games is best to develop confidence and experience. It's chop and change every match, which gives everyone game time but no continuity or expression of trust from the management of being first choice. Eastham is, apparently, out of contract in the summer, so it makes sense to find a regular No.3, give him games and confidence in readiness to challenge Pears and, even, Kaminski.

Easthams distribution tonight was fantastic

• Like 3

It could have been double figures had it not been for their keeper pulling off a string of good saves. Wharton for the second match in a row had a quiet game. Sam Durrant had a good game. some of the passing moves were a joy to see. Lets hope the first team play the same tomorrow.

Edited by rigger
  • Like 1

Another great performance by the U23 today, winning 6-0 and moving them outside the relegation zone. Hard to single out anybody since everybody played well. All eyes were on Dack who enjoyed himself for 60 minutes. Showed his class with a well-taken goal and some good approach play. However some caution needed as he still looks well short of physical condition to play high intensity Championship football. As Mowbray has suggested it sounds wise to take a bit slowly and have him on the bench as an impact sub. Probably going to be a pre-season and next season that he'll be back to his old fitness. Probably expected given that he's been out for more or less two years. 

It's also a clear trend that the U18 players are starting to impact the games more at this level. 3 of the back four was made up of U18 and passmaster Wharton was gliding around the midfield with his rolled-down socks and keeping the ball ticking. 

Hard not to hype up Ash Phillips. A 16-year old kid in a man's body. Given the captain's armband again and looks like a leader. Had a chuckle when he patted Dack on the back of the head after one of the goals. You have to be a bit caution considering his age, but very hard to not see him making it to the top level. The club's going to have a fight when the top clubs are going to throw money around to get him. 

• Like 8

20 minutes ago, rigger said:

It could have been double figures had it not been for their keeper pulling off a string of good saves. Wharton for the second match in a row had a quiet game. Sam Durrant had a good game. some of the passing moves were a joy to see. Lets hope the first team play the same tomorrow.

Thought Wharton was a lot better tonight. It was more that the team played so well and the ball was moved around by everybody.

Agree with Durrant (Dolan junior), also think Brennan had his best game for a long time at the other flank. 

56 minutes ago, briansol said:

Looked decent last game, and impressed tonight. Even though not biggest, he was a man playing against kids. Bombed down the flank from his right-back and got another assist. Looks fit and can handle the ball. Think he could do a job if called upon. Suddenly the right-back is well covered.

Yeah he (Brown) looks quite a bit bulkier than the rest of the lads. In a good way. Impressed with his defending, can't remember him getting beaten much.

52 minutes ago, briansol said:

Thought Wharton was a lot better tonight. It was more that the team played so well and the ball was moved around by everybody.

Agree with Durrant (Dolan junior), also think Brennan had his best game for a long time at the other flank. 

Yeah Wharton was class, controlled the game.

• Like 1

Another really enjoyable night watching the youngsters supplemented by Dack. There is so much to enthuse about with the young players coming through and hopefully most will go on to enjoy professional careers if not with us then somewhere else. 

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

For someone very naive around Vale…he went on loan…and it didn’t work. Why not? Is he almost ready at Rovers?  

Not sure I'd say it didn't work. He had some injury problems I believe, and was used on the flanks instead of through the middle. 1 goal in 10 league games doesn't look great, but only 475 minutes, so just over 5 full games worth, and from out wide. 1 assist in 2 FA Cup games. .

But more importantly, he seems to have come back with a real hunger, or valuable experience of playing with fully matured men, or both. He already seems to have outgrown u23s football just two games later. He is now just a goal behind Sam Burns' tally this season. I felt it was a poor quality loan we got for him, but so far it's looking like it paid off.

Might be he gets some time off the bench this season, but if that doesn't happen then hopefully he gets a loan higher up the pyramid in the summer to test himself.

Edited by bluebruce
  • Like 1

Rovers seem to have a very good conveyor belt of talent over the last 3 years - anyone got a view on why that is? Down to certain individuals in the Rovers heirachy or more of a structural thing?

Club gets a lot of stick for "mismanagement" but in this critical area of youth development we seem to be doing a fantastic job.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Sparks Rover said:

Brightons best u23s are on loan and playing in first teams like ours and boro....this isn't a good yardstick at all.

Nice to beat anyone 6 but let's not get too excited.

Brighton have been in 7th place without them all season. It is a perfectly fine yardstick.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Sparks Rover said:

Brightons best u23s are on loan and playing in first teams like ours and boro....this isn't a good yardstick at all.

Our best u23s are playing in our first team too, or on loan.

• Like 2

At best I keep half an eye on the U23s so not in the know but keep hearing good things about Ash Phillips at just 16. Can any one give more info about him? Do you think bigger teams will try and poach him? I know he's training with the first team but realistically, how far off appearing for the first team has team? 

8 hours ago, Sparks Rover said:

There were five or six of our youth team playing last night. Phillips and Wharton are only 16 or 17.

I am really enthused about this crop of kids coming through and I understand they are all from the North West. There has been a real void of kids coming through in the last decade but recently that trend has been reversed. I don't know the reason for this but it's a real reason to be optimistic.

• Like 6

9 minutes ago, arbitro said:

I am really enthused about this crop of kids coming through and I understand they are all from the North West. There has been a real void of kids coming through in the last decade but recently that trend has been reversed. I don't know the reason for this but it's a real reason to be optimistic.

John Prince...