BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Academy & U21s

10 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

I'm sure they were putting all their efforts into fixing the streaming problems in good time. Oh, wait...

The club site is shit really 😁 In the last match against Stoke they didn't even bother updating the score from a starting 0 -0,  no line up,  updates etc .

Even to log in to rovers TV you need to do it twice 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, slowmo said:

Under 18s won 5-0 against Leeds this afternoon,  good day all round. 

No team ,coverage ,report etc on club website 🙄

That group of lads is absolutely flying eh? A year or two on could be a very good time to be a Rover!

• Like 1

20 hours ago, slowmo said:

Under 18s won 5-0 against Leeds this afternoon,  good day all round. 

No team ,coverage ,report etc on club website 🙄

This is why Rovers Chat run the academy page on Twitter, it's not technically official but we've got the support of plenty of people within the academy set up, there's good coverage of the 18's & 23's and there's been interviews with the likes of Stuart Jones, Tony Carrs & Simon Cooper on there.

3 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

Can someone tell me what type of Midfielders Garrett and Adam Wharton are? I haven’t seen either play 👍🏼

I would say that Wharton is the best of the two. He is everywhere, if anyone marks him he really makes them work. He uses his body to shield the ball really well. He sees a pass early and plays the ball simply, but usually to our advantage. A Richie Smallwood type of player. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, rigger said:

I would say that Wharton is the best of the two. He is everywhere, if anyone marks him he really makes them work. He uses his body to shield the ball really well. He sees a pass early and plays the ball simply, but usually to our advantage. A Richie Smallwood type of player. 

I’ve not seen him play in the flesh but from what I hear he’s more like Buckley mk2. I thought Garrett was supposed to be more like Smallwood.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Like 2

59 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I’ve not seen him play in the flesh but from what I hear he’s more like Buckley mk2. I thought Garrett was supposed to be more like Smallwood.

Not from what I have seen. I will stick bye my original assessment.

Quick loans scouring:

- Burns got his first start for Scunthorpe yesterday, getting subbed after 58 min. Also had a sub appearance before that. Can't find any real comment from Scunthorpe fans yet... but good to see him getting game time.

- Carter was the on the bench for Portsmouth yesterday, so he got over there pretty quick. Hope he gets some starts soon (from what I can gather, he'll certainly get a shot there).

- Joe Hilton still the regular starter at Hamilton. Maybe not the highest level, but good to see him rack up a decent number of starts (now at 12 league starts + 7 cup starts)

- Dan Pike started for AFC Fylde in their first game since his loan was renewed. Seems Joe Nolan is getting regular starts for his loan with Curzon Ashton in NLN. Woking haven't played in a while, but Annesley has been getting pretty regular minutes there too (5 starts, 3 subs + 1 cup start).

- Can't really figure out if Brandon Lonsdale is getting game time with Macclesfield FC in the NWCL, and I regret the few minutes I spent trying to check on that.

• Like 7

5 hours ago, JoeH said:

This is why Rovers Chat run the academy page on Twitter, it's not technically official but we've got the support of plenty of people within the academy set up, there's good coverage of the 18's & 23's and there's been interviews with the likes of Stuart Jones, Tony Carrs & Simon Cooper on there.

Ahh yes I have seen a couple of the interviews,  good stuff 👍

I don't really go on twitter,  other than following links to rovers topics.

1 hour ago, RoverCanada said:

Quick loans scouring:

- Burns got his first start for Scunthorpe yesterday, getting subbed after 58 min. Also had a sub appearance before that. Can't find any real comment from Scunthorpe fans yet... but good to see him getting game time.

- Carter was the on the bench for Portsmouth yesterday, so he got over there pretty quick. Hope he gets some starts soon (from what I can gather, he'll certainly get a shot there).

- Joe Hilton still the regular starter at Hamilton. Maybe not the highest level, but good to see him rack up a decent number of starts (now at 12 league starts + 7 cup starts)

- Dan Pike started for AFC Fylde in their first game since his loan was renewed. Seems Joe Nolan is getting regular starts for his loan with Curzon Ashton in NLN. Woking haven't played in a while, but Annesley has been getting pretty regular minutes there too (5 starts, 3 subs + 1 cup start).

- Can't really figure out if Brandon Lonsdale is getting game time with Macclesfield FC in the NWCL, and I regret the few minutes I spent trying to check on that.

I watched Burns for Scunthorpe Yesterday. He put in a good shift, but not able to make much of an impact otherwise. They faced Exeter who was a far better team so he didn't have much to work with. Looked to play right wing, although switched at times. They failed to utilize his strengths and the couple of half opportunities he was a bit slow to pull the trigger. 

In general League 2 is very physical and the quality is pretty low. The ball is pinged in the air and it's a big difference from U23 where everything is played on the ground.

• Like 3

19 hours ago, briansol said:

I've seen both on several occasions. 

For me Wharton reminds me a bit of Tom Cairney. Box-to-box midfielder who can control a game with his classy passing. Left footed and looks like he has all the time in the world. "Sees all the pictures" as Mowbray would say. His defensive side has improved as well.

Garrett is someone I really like. He is more of a sitter (defensive midfielder). Played against Leeds in a pre-season and looked good. Will tackle anything that moves. He's a great tackler but a bit rash at times, and picks up quite a lot of cards. Needs to wise up when and where a tackle is needed. The best thing about him is that he is very good passer as well. Very calm in possesion, and almost always pick the right option. Can switch play and hit short and long with his left foot. For me he is someone who can challenge for Travis spot in the couple of years. He is far better on the ball than Travis.

Incidently I think Wharton and Garrett should work well together.

Thank you, that’s brilliant! 

• Like 2

The way we are bringing youngsters through is quite amazing. I'm over the moon about it. Someone earlier mentioned Jack's legacy.

Is this all under Mowbray's watch? Is it he to whom we must give credit?  If so I must admit that I'm almost ready to quit the "Mowbray Out" brigade.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, bazza said:

The way we are bringing youngsters through is quite amazing. I'm over the moon about it. Someone earlier mentioned Jack's legacy.

Is this all under Mowbray's watch? Is it he to whom we must give credit?  If so I must admit that I'm almost ready to quit the "Mowbray Out" brigade.

I think it is more down to the people running the academy.

• Like 1

Well it’s all gone wild in London. 2x red cards after a fairly aggressive scrap at the end. Punches thrown and Ash Phillips showing why he’s already a legend in the making. Videos circulating on social media and no doubt fines for both clubs impending. More than just handbags.

4 minutes ago, JoeH said:

Well it’s all gone wild in London. 2x red cards after a fairly aggressive scrap at the end. Punches thrown and Ash Phillips showing why he’s already a legend in the making. Videos circulating on social media and no doubt fines for both clubs impending. More than just handbags.

Seen the video one of the spurs players looked like he had lost it

• Like 1

McBride seems to be hitting some form. Interesting to see what the club decides about him. I suppose if the club's decided that he can go this summer, he might be free to be talking to clubs now to sign a pre-contract. He won't be short of suitors, as his success as a PL2 player of the season nominee was being reported in the nationals in Scotland, last year.

People are rightly hailing the achievements of the U18s this season. However, my concern is that the success of the U23s last year hasn't translated into first team promotions yet. Carter and Butterworth have been involved but are a little older, I think, and they weren't involved that much in last season's U23 campaign that resulted in an impressive 4th placed finish. The team were in the top two, I think for a while, but fell off at the end.

By contrast, the prior 'year group' has seen Buckley, Butterworth, Carter, Travis and Nyambe come through to make appearances. There's still time for players but it does look as if the U23s of 2020-21, are largely going to fall by the wayside, despite success amongst Premier League peers. As much as there is no guarantee of success or transition, the fact that not a single member is, apparently, anywhere near coming through must raise questions. It begs the question whether the next generation will face the same issue. With Ash Phillips and Adam Wharton being fast-tracked to appear on the first team bench for the FA cup tie, it may not be the case.

Edited by riverholmes

2 hours ago, bazza said:

Our academy has always done well and produced players. Where we struggled before was in producing players of Premier league calibre. But we're not at that level anymore.

I wouldn't be crediting TM with our academy as it has always produced players. Credit him with playing them sure but the academy was there long before him.