BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Academy & U21s

3 down already. I haven't seen them play this year but it's a shame that they are bottom of the table and looking likely to be relegated to the 2nd division. This can't be good for a category one academy. Also development of the next batch of youngsters. Hopefully they can string some results together and retain their top league status.

A lot of players out, seemingly, for the U23s - Eastham, Saadi, Barnes, Cirino, Whitehall, Nolan and, perhaps, Baker. With the loanees gone too, the U18s will need to step up.

Glad to see that McBride scored off the bench, and a spectacular 20 yard lob, it's described as. He really needs that loan move. I believe that the club should take the punt of giving him a new contract, despite his lack of form this season. He showed a lot of promise last year and clearly still has the ability to score goals at U23 level. 

Recalling his goal for the first team in pre-season, a deflected free kick, I believe, what was notable was that he ran and picked the ball out of the net to resume the game. If that is reflective of his mentality, then, it's rare in a young player and will stand him in good stead.

City had one player Kayki who reportedly they will be paying £30m for, they’ve paid £15m upfront and there’s another £15 in add-ons. George was giving him grief towards the end of the match about how much he cost/ Their whole u23s team cost more than our first team squad. Bobb is another Norwegian who they paid an undisclosed amount for. The young sub who came on late and scored their fifth is a £300k purchase. Youth football for these clubs is a money making operation. We can’t hope to compete with them. We matched them until Magaloire had his custom mare. 

33 minutes ago, Spartakfenni said:

City had one player Kayki who reportedly they will be paying £30m for, they’ve paid £15m upfront and there’s another £15 in add-ons. George was giving him grief towards the end of the match about how much he cost/ Their whole u23s team cost more than our first team squad. Bobb is another Norwegian who they paid an undisclosed amount for. The young sub who came on late and scored their fifth is a £300k purchase. Youth football for these clubs is a money making operation. We can’t hope to compete with them. We matched them until Magaloire had his custom mare. 

I heard the Rovers player say to the City kid "30 million quid and I've got you in my pocket" as he pointed to an imaginary pocket on his shorts.

I thought it was quite funny but I'm not sure the City lad got it though.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, arbitro said:

I heard the Rovers player say to the City kid "30 million quid and I've got you in my pocket" as he pointed to an imaginary pocket on his shorts.

I thought it was quite funny but I'm not sure the City lad got it though.

I always thought it was better to say things like that as you were walking off the pitch at the end of the game.

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, Spartakfenni said:

Then why bother with the academy?.  Why not just wait to get the ones that don't make it at clubs like citeh?  Could save a fortune

16 minutes ago, Sparks Rover said:

Then why bother with the academy?.  Why not just wait to get the ones that don't make it at clubs like citeh?  Could save a fortune

I suppose we have done that at the lower age end with Trav, Danny, JRC. The problem when they’re older is they may not be any better than we are ready have, the ones that are command a big fee e.g. Tosin, and Lampty (Chelsea to Brighton). There’s an unfair balance to the Premiership clubs. The quicker we can get back there the better.

11 minutes ago, Sparks Rover said:

Isn't that what we are currently doing? Most of our U18/U23 are rejects from Liverpool, United, City. Travis (Liverpool), Butterworth (United), JRC (United) all examples. 

I do get your point though. Instead of using 3 millions a year to run an academy, why not use a similar amount to purchase talent? Today's model have to produce to justify the expense. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, briansol said:

Isn't that what we are currently doing? Most of our U18/U23 are rejects from Liverpool, United, City. Travis (Liverpool), Butterworth (United), JRC (United) all examples. 

I do get your point though. Instead of using 3 millions a year to run an academy, why not use a similar amount to purchase talent? Today's model have to produce to justify the expense. 

Buckley, Lenihan, Wharton? Even the expense of training the 'rejects' from u18-u23 level must easily have been recouped due to the amount of minutes they play in the first team. I'm sure (hope!) someone does a cost per minute of each player in our squad from transfer fees and wages vs academy fees and wages.

Probably the current mix is best for Rovers.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Hannoverover said:

Buckley, Lenihan, Wharton? Even the expense of training the 'rejects' from u18-u23 level must easily have been recouped due to the amount of minutes they play in the first team. I'm sure (hope!) someone does a cost per minute of each player in our squad from transfer fees and wages vs academy fees and wages.

Probably the current mix is best for Rovers.

Lenihan joined from an Irish club at 16/17....

Only Bucko has been through the complete system before U17........what's the point of it all if we don't produce kids from U8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15 and 16s...we normally sack em all off and bring in a Travis or a Dolan....

5 hours ago, Sparks Rover said:

Lenihan joined from an Irish club at 16/17....

Only Bucko has been through the complete system before U17........what's the point of it all if we don't produce kids from U8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15 and 16s...we normally sack em all off and bring in a Travis or a Dolan....

Hayden Carter and Joe Rankin-Costello, supposedly, joined the club in 2014, aged around 15 years old. Without a youth football system that accommodates that age group, they may have ended somewhere else. Similarly, Scott Wharton, Ryan Nyambe and, back in the day, David Hoilett, apparently, joined the club aged 12/13 years old or so. Other players, now elsewhere, such as Connor Mahoney, James Tarkowski, Matty Pearson, Joe Garner had spells in the Rovers youth academy, with Mahoney and Garner earning the club some transfer/compensation fees. (In Garner's case, it was probably a mistake to let him go for £150k or so, given the transfer fees he commanded after that).

The number of players that have come all the way through, like Buckley, who reportedly joined the club aged 6 years old, might be limited but those that join at a later age and have success can be considered, in some way and to differing degrees, products of the academy. Certainly, Ryan Nyambe, Scott Wharton and Jason Lowe are 'products' of that system. Some of those that didn't make the cut would have supported the development of the few that have by being team-mates and opponents in training.

I don't know enough to know if having very young age categories for boys in the Rovers academy is particularly helpful for the club or healthy for the children. Unfortunately, the elite clubs have turned the youth system into a relentless "gold rush" and there is pressure on clubs to compete with that system. I'm sceptical about boys as young as 6 or even younger being taken into academies - though, I don't know much about what that experience involves.

However, I feel that having a schoolboys system for teenagers, at least, whichever format it takes, is beneficial, and has proven so - and could be yet improved. Rovers probably could get more out of the system. If Jason Lowe can contribute 173 first team appearances, I think more youth players could contribute to the first team, given a chance. It would also help to somehow keep hold of the likes of Mahoney, O'Connell and Alan Judge when they're recruited and come through.

Edited by riverholmes
  • Like 3

8 hours ago, Sparks Rover said:

What would you like to see Sparks? Not being snarky, I'm genuinely asking. You are involved in youth football so see what goes on to some degree.

Should all clubs fire off their academy or just Rovers?

• Moderation Lead
8 minutes ago, speeeeeeedie said:

What would you like to see Sparks? Not being snarky, I'm genuinely asking. You are involved in youth football so see what goes on to some degree.

Should all clubs fire off their academy or just Rovers?

Quite a few already have I think. I wouldn’t want that happening here myself, Brockhall is the jewel in our crown and we also. Just look at how many academy products we have in our match day squad.

• Like 1