BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Rovers v Brentford: 17th March

• Replies 352
  • Created
  • Last Reply

All that is true.

So knowing that why make idiotic predictions that are not based on reality ?

After our recent winning run, I was hoping / thinking the penny might just have dropped with Bowyer.

Sadly, it never will and I was wrong.

All I will say is that 74 points will do it and not the 77/78/79 some are quoting.

I can't legislate for stupidity - beyond believe Bowyer takes Gestede off at 2-2. Bet Warburton couldn't stop laughing.

It's the manager's negativity that will stop Rovers finishing top 6.

To be fair Gestede scored a brilliant goal early on then I forgot he was playing after that. He only looks about 40% fit to me, there's something not quite right with him

That said I still think you'd find better players than Brown down Pleasington playing fields. To quote the old cliché he can trap the ball further than most can kick it and his second touch is usually a tackle.

• Backroom

Rudy was still the best striker on show In blue and White Rev

It wasn't the strikers fault today but Rhodes was consistently ducking rather than going for headers and both he and Rudy missed chances

I don't blame him for making a change but like for like but worse rarely works

We saw tonight why Brentford have had a better season than us and why we will never move forward under GB imo. I don't believe Brentford have better players than us but they do the ugly things better.

Where we sit back they were always pressing. Where they're making themselves available for a pass we're usually static and end up hoofing long or going sideways or back. They were also far more positive than us in general. When we had a corner they left two up. When they had a corner we pulled everyone back promptly giving the ball away again. And they were the away side and not the team for whom the 3 points were vital.

On our side Taylor and Rhodes never stop moving taking up positions looking for a pass. The rest are generally static and the team as a whole don't work hard enough for the manager. Can't see that ever changing under GB.

I thought Marshall and Gestede were both injured in the first half and I suspect were struggling late in the second but as substitutions go they handed the game to Brentford.

But more worryingly for me is how as the game wore on Brentford looked stronger and stronger and Rovers looked weaker and weaker. Even the fresh legs that came on seemed to struggle.

We would do well to tap Warburton up at the end of the season, maybe he and Bowyer could come to some arrangement, or even just replace Bowyer with Warburton. He had his team literally buzzing in those last 15 minutes as Rovers labor'd and fans arte's sank (all puns intended).

Joking aside, we really need to work on fitness because between flagging and getting injured Rovers have some quality players.

Gaz' use of subs are consistently terrible. He's often out thought by opposition managers and tonight sounds like it was another of those nights. Negative Nigel.

You might debate the Gestede one as he's better on one leg than Brown but I don't think you can argue with Marshall being brought off. He was terrible and gave the ball away cheaply leading to their second.

105 games in charge for our 'novice' manager now.

The first substitution was meant to be tactical to contain the long haired lad on the right. It had no effect whatsoever except Taylor noticeably stopped going as far forward when he switched wings.

The second substitution, unless Rudy had a limb hanging off, was baffling. Despite what Rev says above, Rudy was winning most headers and keeping the link up play going despite a very physical defence. Brown did not get a sniff when he came on. A completely baffling, unexplainable change and if anyone things Bowyer is improving and the penny is dropping for him tactically then there was a stark, undeniable reminder that they are wrong and he is not.

People say our results are inconsistent. That's rubbish. We beat the poorer teams and can't beat the better ones. According to the stats page in one sports paper last weekend, only 5 other teams had taken less points per game from teams in the top half than Rovers.

Last year we won only 2 of the 12 games against sides who finished in the top 6. In both of those games the opposition had nothing to play for. This year we have played all of the current top 6 twice and only have 1 win. Outplayed and outthought.

Marshall was done from the moment he slipped & was injured, yet wasn't subbed, and him not tracking back cost us the first goal. Words fail me for the second, it was like Moses parting of the Red Sea, it was a dream.

Brentford did remain strong, we faded.

JR was frustrated & frustrating tonight, had half chances, but came nowhere near.

Rudy seemed bewildered after scoring a very good goal.

All in all another mightily disappointing night at Ewood.

TBH the last three wins has given more false hope. At least I can put the league season to bed, re-group, look forward to the cup replay, and hope beyond hope that the Loons don't have a fire sale in the summer.

Oh, the life of a Rovers fan?

105 games in charge for our 'novice' manager now.

The first substitution was meant to be tactical to contain the long haired lad on the right. It had no effect whatsoever except Taylor noticeably stopped going as far forward when he switched wings.

The second substitution, unless Rudy had a limb hanging off, was baffling. Despite what Rev says above, Rudy was winning most headers and keeping the link up play going despite a very physical defence. Brown did not get a sniff when he came on. A completely baffling, unexplainable change and if anyone things Bowyer is improving and the penny is dropping for him tactically then there was a stark, undeniable reminder that they are wrong and he is not.

People say our results are inconsistent. That's rubbish. We beat the poorer teams and can't beat the better ones. According to the stats page in one sports paper last weekend, only 5 other teams had taken less points per game from teams in the top half than Rovers.

Last year we won only 2 of the 12 games against sides who finished in the top 6. In both of those games the opposition had nothing to play for. This year we have played all of the current top 6 twice and only have 1 win. Outplayed and outthought.

And that stems from the mentality of the manager... iE 'we did phenomenal just to keep the score down..!'

Gaz is not a winner, he's a nice guy, good coach / assistant... We need a proper leader!

Archived