BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Transfer Talk Part 2

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sorry if it's already been mentioned or asked but does anyone know how much money we have to make to get out of the embargo?

I was thinking about this last night.

If we proceed to sell either Gestede or Rhodes, or god forbid both, this summer, then the embargo SHOULD be lifted in time for the January window. Our accounts would be submitted in November for consideration ahead of the January window.

In our last set of accounts (December 2014) we posted a loss of £42 million. According to the club this figure was deliberately inflated to the tune of £16 million, so it was actually more like a £26 million loss.

Since then our wage bill has been reduced significantly, especially this summer with about a dozen players leaving the club including high earners like Josh King and Paul Robinson.

Other than the pay off for Bradley Orr there are no more pay-offs to include in the accounts.

We are now into our second transfer window with zero expenditure on players. So that figure should be closer to the £20 million mark having shaved off Robbo's £30k a week wages for example (£1.5 million a year) and King (£1 million a year).

If we then land ourselves £7 million for Gestede to go with the rumoured £3 million for Cairney then that would knock another £10 million off our losses for the year.

If we are then down in the £10-15 million loss range then there can be no reason for us to remain under the embargo. Other clubs like Brighton and Bolton have recorded similar losses but have been let off the hook on the basis that they were 'close' to the £8 million loss and were making progress towards it.

So basically if we sell Gestede or Rhodes and don't get the embargo lifted in January then someone should be getting sacked.

P.S. lose Rhodes and or Gestede along with Cairney, King and maybe Marshall and the January window may be too late anyway.

I think I'd rather remain in an embargo for a few years and keep the above.

Cairney doesn't need replacing if Olsson moves to LW and Conway/Marshall play RW....happy days!

If we proceed to sell either Gestede or Rhodes, or god forbid both, this summer, then the embargo SHOULD be lifted in time for the January window. Our accounts would be submitted in November for consideration ahead of the January window.

In our last set of accounts (December 2014) we posted a loss of £42 million. According to the club this figure was deliberately inflated to the tune of £16 million, so it was actually more like a £26 million loss.

Since then our wage bill has been reduced significantly, especially this summer with about a dozen players leaving the club including high earners like Josh King and Paul Robinson.

Other than the pay off for Bradley Orr there are no more pay-offs to include in the accounts.

We are now into our second transfer window with zero expenditure on players. So that figure should be closer to the £20 million mark having shaved off Robbo's £30k a week wages for example (£1.5 million a year) and King (£1 million a year).

If we then land ourselves £7 million for Gestede to go with the rumoured £3 million for Cairney then that would knock another £10 million off our losses for the year.

If we are then down in the £10-15 million loss range then there can be no reason for us to remain under the embargo. Other clubs like Brighton and Bolton have recorded similar losses but have been let off the hook on the basis that they were 'close' to the £8 million loss and were making progress towards it.

So basically if we sell Gestede or Rhodes and don't get the embargo lifted in January then someone should be getting sacked.

P.S. lose Rhodes and or Gestede along with Cairney, King and maybe Marshall and the January window may be too late anyway.

Excellent post!!

:)

You only get sacked here, if you're actually any good at your job.

Cairney doesn't need replacing if Olsson moves to LW and Conway/Marshall play RW....happy days!

Excellent post!!

Could be in the thinking and might work ok away from home on the counter but starting home games like that I don't think it works well. Olsson will just be one trick try and knock it past his man, works on steaming from the back or running on to a ball down the channel but receiving a slow sideways pass from our pedestrian midfield then just trying that time and again I think he'll struggle. Both Marshall and Conway operate well from there, like I said it might work occasionally but that's all imo.

Mind you I've an awful feeling Marshall won't be starting the season in a Rovers shirt :(

I think we also get a bit of money for King leaving.

I almost wish we were a year on and the last leech Leon Best will be gone. Another £1.8 million to go with that clown i'm afraid.

I'll be amazed if Rhodes, Gestede and Marshall are still here for the Wolves game.

Unless the fans get a bit of a boost from the club in some way, not many fans would be there either.

must admit i find this discussion quite amusing (droll). That's not because I didn't rate cairney or because I think it's the correct decision - it's because many opinions are based on emotion as opposed to facts.

Some want to see Venkys gone, regardless of outcome, some want to see us keep our best players regardless of wages/offers, some want to see us add quality for nothing, some see FFP as an excuse yet some see the growing debt as unavoidable. Most of that doesn't fit together for me.

My take on it is we don't know what the Raos want to do. Kamy decides to whip up people into a frenzy by inferring that that this is the first players sale of many and the owners are ready to sell- what evidence do you have? None. Idle speculation. Whilst it may be "weird" what is going on, it doesn't point to anything. The whole scenario since day one has been "weird". Kamy, If you believe what agents say about football, then my question to you would be "what has the scenario at Ewood taught you in the last 5 years?" Probably nothing.

Secondly, this could also be the age old process of "grass being greener" on several levels. The player may think that, but the point I'm making is Cairney will not be missed if he puts in another season like the last. You could blame that on the manager "not dealing with talent" or whatever the quote is, or use BlueBruce stats... My eyes told me that the game passed him by on far too many occassions,

As I said last week, TC is one I'd like to keep but in the stark reality of our position; massive debts, inability to purchase, inability to offer long term deals, lack of cohesive policy within Ewood and a dwindling support- we don't have much choice.

Yes we could reject it, but if the player wants to go- what use is he then? Another thing that stats don't factor- His head goes down quicker than ... Well you can take that where you want.

TC is a good player, great technique and a good left foot. However.... Does he work as a CM in this league? My answer would be no. His best work has come out wide IMO and many seem to think he is a square peg in that position.

It's not just about trying to take positives- it's about seeing the reality of the situation for me- we've little choice about strengthening rivals if their revenues are 5x ours. Regardless of Fulhams position, they still will have their wages paid by parachute payments this year and therefore are in a much better situation than we are.

You can cry all you want about the FFP "excuse" or "strengthening rivals" but you'd be missing important facts.

Looking at the squad, if O Sullivan and Taylor sign, Marcus plays further up- we don't need anyone else out wide anyway. We still need a leader in the centre, but we needed that anyway.

Would it be surprising if I quoted the same person berating the manager for not playing kids, whose berating the club for selling players on... Can't have it both ways!

I think we also get a bit of money for King leaving.

I almost wish we were a year on and the last leech Leon Best will be gone. Another £1.8 million to go with that clown i'm afraid.

Unless the fans get a bit of a boost from the club in some way, not many fans would be there either.

I'm wondering what the 'best' option would be at this stage with regard to Best.

If he is on £30k a week for the next 12 months then he is still due to drain another minimum of £1.5 million out of the club before he leaves, probably more. During that time he will be occupying one of the coveted squad places and his stench will be lingering around the club all next season (assuming we can't find someone to take him on loan which is unlikely after his woeful spell at Brighton last year).

So what would be preferable re. FFP?

Put the Cairney money entirely into reducing the losses and continue to pay Best for the next 12 months?

Or use the Cairney money to get shut of Best now. Get his wages off the books, get the clown out of the club once and for all and free up another place in the squad?

Either way we could argue we are taking serious steps toward FFP compliance.

must admit i find this discussion quite amusing (droll). That's not because I didn't rate cairney or because I think it's the correct decision - it's because many opinions are based on emotion as opposed to facts.

Some want to see Venkys gone, regardless of outcome, some want to see us keep our best players regardless of wages/offers, some want to see us add quality for nothing, some see FFP as an excuse yet some see the growing debt as unavoidable. Most of that doesn't fit together for me.

My take on it is we don't know what the Raos want to do. Kamy decides to whip up people into a frenzy by inferring that that this is the first players sale of many and the owners are ready to sell- what evidence do you have? None. Idle speculation. Whilst it may be "weird" what is going on, it doesn't point to anything. The whole scenario since day one has been "weird". Kamy, If you believe what agents say about football, then my question to you would be "what has the scenario at Ewood taught you in the last 5 years?" Probably nothing.

Secondly, this could also be the age old process of "grass being greener" on several levels. The player may think that, but the point I'm making is Cairney will not be missed if he puts in another season like the last. You could blame that on the manager "not dealing with talent" or whatever the quote is, or use BlueBruce stats... My eyes told me that the game passed him by on far too many occassions,

As I said last week, TC is one I'd like to keep but in the stark reality of our position; massive debts, inability to purchase, inability to offer long term deals, lack of cohesive policy within Ewood and a dwindling support- we don't have much choice.

Yes we could reject it, but if the player wants to go- what use is he then? Another thing that stats don't factor- His head goes down quicker than ... Well you can take that where you want.

TC is a good player, great technique and a good left foot. However.... Does he work as a CM in this league? My answer would be no. His best work has come out wide IMO and many seem to think he is a square peg in that position.

It's not just about trying to take positives- it's about seeing the reality of the situation for me- we've little choice about strengthening rivals if their revenues are 5x ours. Regardless of Fulhams position, they still will have their wages paid by parachute payments this year and therefore are in a much better situation than we are.

You can cry all you want about the FFP "excuse" or "strengthening rivals" but you'd be missing important facts.

Looking at the squad, if O Sullivan and Taylor sign, Marcus plays further up- we don't need anyone else out wide anyway. We still need a leader in the centre, but we needed that anyway.

Would it be surprising if I quoted the same person berating the manager for not playing kids, whose berating the club for selling players on... Can't have it both ways!

Did Kamy say they are ready to sell ? I missed that, could you point it out for me

I'm wondering what the 'best' option would be at this stage with regard to Best.

If he is on £30k a week for the next 12 months then he is still due to drain another minimum of £1.5 million out of the club before he leaves, probably more. During that time he will be occupying one of the coveted squad places and his stench will be lingering around the club all next season (assuming we can't find someone to take him on loan which is unlikely after his woeful spell at Brighton last year).

So what would be preferable re. FFP?

Put the Cairney money entirely into reducing the losses and continue to pay Best for the next 12 months?

Or use the Cairney money to get shut of Best now. Get his wages off the books, get the clown out of the club once and for all and free up another place in the squad?

Either way we could argue we are taking serious steps toward FFP compliance.

From what I have read he won't take a penny less than his contract value, so, as the accounts are reviewed in January I imagine the best way FFP-wise is to keep paying him each week. Otherwise more expense gets brought forward into the accounts before January.

Plus if we bin the fool he will go to a rival and suddenly find a passion for scoring goals - against us. By keeping him we have the option of getting a little money back from loaning him out - although we are running out of clubs daft enough to take him.

Having said all this I will be chuffed when he is finally not a Rovers 'player.'

My take on it is we don't know what the Raos want to do. Kamy decides to whip up people into a frenzy by inferring that that this is the first players sale of many and the owners are ready to sell

Kamy might have implied it, you inferred it. :)

From what I have read he won't take a penny less than his contract value, so, as the accounts are reviewed in January I imagine the best way FFP-wise is to keep paying him each week. Otherwise more expense gets brought forward into the accounts before January.

Plus if we bin the fool he will go to a rival and suddenly find a passion for scoring goals - against us. By keeping him we have the option of getting a little money back from loaning him out - although we are running out of clubs daft enough to take him.

Having said all this I will be chuffed when he is finally not a Rovers 'player.'

A career ending injury on the training pitch in order,

Insurance claim,

If Souness was the manager done deal

Said it, since the day he was promoted.

"Kiss a"se manager" of the highest order of "Kiss a*se managers"

I think that was obvious in the pre-match build up with Stoke, when he said the owners "don't get enough credit" for ruining one of the most well-run clubs in the country.

Yes I heard you 1st time, I missed it, could you point it out for me pretty please

There's been a sea of posts since i wrote that- it's back about 5 pages. You should find it

The only reason I can see for this sale is that GB must have some midfielder pretty much signed up already. Selling TC with no replacement is suicide.

Very surprising observation from someone with a financial background.

Surely you can see the script ?

I think that was obvious in the pre-match build up with Stoke, when he said the owners "don't get enough credit" for ruining one of the most well-run clubs in the country.

Some folk on this board will think I'm a cynical beggar, but I can't help but wonder, how much certain folk at Ewood will be making out

of any sales made in this transfer window.

Personally I wouldn't trust any of them.

whilst the cat's away(and uninterested) it's only human nature after all !

There's been a sea of posts since i wrote that- it's back about 5 pages. You should find it

Is this it ?

"The FFP sanctions will remain until January (unless the QPR judicial review changes the situation), other clubs such as Forest are using creative ways to get around them. Rovers are not, again with the lack of direct communication with the owners over the summer could it be a sign that Venky's are preparing to sell the club?"

Hardly any substance in that is there

A career ending injury on the training pitch in order,

Insurance claim,

If Souness was the manager done deal

I am not sure I would call theft a career, but I agree in that I can imagine Souness and Tugay would have cooked something up.

Some folk on this board will think I'm a cynical beggar, but I can't help but wonder, how much certain folk at Ewood will be making out

of any sales made in this transfer window.

Personally I wouldn't trust any of them.

whilst the cat's away(and uninterested) it's only human nature after all !

and none of them should be anywhere near BRFC

And what have we gained by selling him?

Will it improve the team - No

Will the fee make any difference to the FFP position - No

Will we sign a replacement of similar quality - No

Will we have any playmaker capable of getting his head up and playing a pass - No

Will it improve one of our rivals - Certainly it will.

Will the usual suspects get a cut- Don't doubt it for a minute.

Archived