BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Transfer Talk Part 2

Very disappointed to lose Cairney, I'm a big fan of his. 3.5-4m is a good price though.

Not a huge surprise Bowyer sanctioned the move. Became very obvious last season that GB had no idea how to fit him into his system. He was only effective when we were playing weaker teams and had the majority of possession. Think he'll become a very, very good player though.

Personally, I think our midfield needs a big shake-up, been a weak area for years now. If we sign Austin and O'Hara then we'd be looking stronger in there Imo, particularly with O'Sullivan and Lenihan (if he stays!) coming through next season as well.

Rudy will follow Cairney out of the door, that's for sure. We can just about cope without those two but we cant afford to lose anymore after that, otherwise it is disaster time.

If we can keep Rhodes, play Marshall in the hole, and beef up our midfield, we wont be in too bad a position. That's about as much positivity as I can muster!!

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What is the Cairney fee? Not never never addons but cold hard cash?

I read £2.7m somewhere I'm

Not sure how O'Hara (has been) and Austin (30 and never has been) would make us stronger. Add them to Willowe and it's the most statuesque midfield in history.

There's a reason why O'Hara was playing on a short term contract at Blackpool last season. There's a reason why he's only played about 50 games in 5 years.

He's not as good as Cairney and is almost six years older.

Fulham know this.

I admire some people's optimism about the situation, but this is downgrading whilst strengthening a rival. A recipe for disaster.

well one has played in the premier and one has not,does that answer the question

Strange tale ... but Leeds are interested in John McGinn but we apparently are in pole position having already offered personal terms i never even heard of him but a quick google search says he's a 21 year old midfielder who has let his contract run down at St. Mirren , technically good left sided midfielder (Cairney clone ??) Celtic were credited with an interest in Jan .... source is a relation of the wife who's been a sports journo for local rags in yorkshire and humberside ..... he said last year Rhodes was in deffo signing for Hull and under going medical , so has been know to be wrong

His player recruitment has been gash since the hit and miss first bunch. Gestede, Conway and Cairney are very good...the rest, quite crap, quite pointless and either unused or ineffective.

Marshall, Steele, Kilgallon, Duffy, Eastwood, Baptiste? Yep, they've all been shyte.

What is the Cairney fee? Not never never addons but cold hard cash?

I read £2.7m somewhere I'm

Not sure how O'Hara (has been) and Austin (30 and never has been) would make us stronger. Add them to Willowe and it's the most statuesque midfield in history.

Have heard that it is £2.3 million guaranteed with a further £1.7 million based on performance.

Very disappointed to lose Cairney, I'm a big fan of his. 3.5-4m is a good price though.

Not a huge surprise Bowyer sanctioned the move. Became very obvious last season that GB had no idea how to fit him into his system. He was only effective when we were playing weaker teams and had the majority of possession. Think he'll become a very, very good player though.

Personally, I think our midfield needs a big shake-up, been a weak area for years now. If we sign Austin and O'Hara then we'd be looking stronger in there Imo, particularly with O'Sullivan and Lenihan (if he stays!) coming through next season as well.

Rudy will follow Cairney out of the door, that's for sure. We can just about cope without those two but we cant afford to lose anymore after that, otherwise it is disaster time.

If we can keep Rhodes, play Marshall in the hole, and beef up our midfield, we wont be in too bad a position. That's about as much positivity as I can muster!!

Austin and Ohara are both as slow as hearses in a traffic jam. F F S what is going on??

I think its fair to say that there will be large sell on clauses attached to most of bowyers 'bargain' buys in the last couple of years(marshall, Conway, gestede, evans, duffy, steele) although tbf to bowyer(and I wont say that often) he wouldn't have been able to afford to sign them without the clauses attached.

Marshall, Steele, Kilgallon, Duffy, Eastwood, Baptiste? Yep, they've all been shyte.

Well two are keepers and we seem to favour Raya over both and 3 are centre halves unlikely to all be on the pitch together but other than that ........

Rumours that Wolves are after Conway and Rotherham offering Taylor a contract. The vultures really are circling overhead. I am still trying to understand how FFP is protecting clubs, this looks like it is going to do us a lot of damage.

As pretty much everything that isn't nailed down appears to be up for grabs I'd expect even more interest will be declared.

One would also expect that we'd struggle to hold on to our highly rated duo the Scottish international centre half and England under 21 central midfielder, both with Premier League experience.

Just read through all of this. I'm very disappointed to lose Cairney. I rated him. One of the few rovers players these days I actually enjoyed watching. I can't believe anybody can actually be pleased he has gone! Young British and talented - we need to keep players of his ilk.

God knows what message the selling of cairney sends to wavering season ticket holders! My father being one, rang up after hearing this news saying he wasn't bothering. He will do in time - creature of habit.

As a few posters have also commented the strangest aspect of this transfer is the complete silence from both player and club. Nothing from last years player of the season to thank the club and fans. Nothing from club or manager to explain the rationale behind selling an integral member of our team over the last 2 years. Bizarre.

As for the Conway rumour to Wolves, I personally would be disappointed if this went through. Again I rate him. But I actually met him last weekend whilst I was on a stag do in Marbella (not my scene I must add!) He was out there with his mates. Really sound and down to earth bloke. Chatted away to 3 of us who are rovers fans. He was surprisingly positive about this upcoming season, certainly didn't give the impression we would be selling a few players, including possibly himself now!

• Backroom

Well good luck to Tom Cairney, very hit and miss but potential to be good, I think a team needs to be set up around a player of his style but I'm not convinced he's good enough to do that. I do think we didn't use him in the best way though.

It may be an unpopular opinion but if we could bring in Stone Cold Rodolph Austin and Danielle Lloyds fella we may end up stronger overall.

I've seen mention of Olsson being used further forward which is a bad idea because Spurr is pretty poor.

Very poor form from Rovers not wishing him well but it makes no major odds you just would like to at least see the empty gesture.

None have been brilliant. Check league table for details.

I'm not likely to check with you

Well two are keepers and we seem to favour Raya over both and 3 are centre halves unlikely to all be on the pitch together but other than that ........

well spotted, it's called having a squad and all have performed well.

Strange tale ... but Leeds are interested in John McGinn but we apparently are in pole position having already offered personal terms i never even heard of him but a quick google search says he's a 21 year old midfielder who has let his contract run down at St. Mirren , technically good left sided midfielder (Cairney clone ??) Celtic were credited with an interest in Jan .... source is a relation of the wife who's been a sports journo for local rags in yorkshire and humberside ..... he said last year Rhodes was in deffo signing for Hull and under going medical , so has been know to be wrong

Rhodes deal was pulled by the owners at the last minute according to everything said at the time so he may well have undergone a medical and agreed terms. Hopefully your source is right again and we're picking up someone on a free with potential.

we could do with a versatile tricky little player like Brentfords alan judge to add some forward impetus to our midfield.. O wait a minute, sorry I forgot :unsure:

he was slagged off on here when we signed him by virtually everyone.

We need to start relying on our youngsters more. Our top class academy is one of our few strengths.

Seems to me the output is poor in relation to the facilities. One top player every other blue moon. Not good enough.

I have a friend of a friend who's an football agent and they also confirmed we were interested mcginn however said recently that he thought he would end up at Wigan

On the cairney subject from what I've heard he's increased his wages significantly joining Fulham. In a footballers career where you have roughly a 10 year period you cannot fault him for wanting to maximise his income. We have to accept that Teams like Fulham etc have more spending power than us now and we are likely to lose players not only to prem clubs but championship clubs also.

Archived