BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Rant (4?)

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Moderation Lead

It's people's own choice if they want to smoke, and I take no issue with that if they do, they know the risks.

That being said, it's hardly unreasonable to expect them to move further away from the entrance at the hospital (of all places) or anywhere else!

I had an op on my leg about 1970 and smoking was allowed in bed! Smoking was everywhere even in cinemas, buses and on aeroplanes, I suggest our tolerance levels have been altered since the ban.

It's people's own choice if they want to smoke, and I take no issue with that if they do, they know the risks.

That being said, it's hardly unreasonable to expect them to move further away from the entrance at the hospital (of all places) or anywhere else!

Easy enough to build them a shelter away from the door. tbh I look at smokers nowadays standing outside in the cold and wet outside buildings and I just think how degrading and demeaning it looks. On the same track but slightly less offensive than seeing winos on a park bench or dollopers sniffing glue / nitrous oxide up back alleys or snorting charlie off public house toilet seats..

Agree

By the way I was at the hospital today and had to face the dreaded wall of smoke and dressing gowns on the way out!

You want to see these disgusting people outside the Royal Preston Hospital. Smoking their tabs and drowning their cans of strong beer whilst in their jimjams and some are even on a saline drip.

I feel like sniping the plastic pipe to the drip and shoving it the Special Brew. Alternatively I would charge the buggers for filling up hospital beds due to their life styles. Uck!!

Hardly a wall of smoke is it? It's usually blowing a hooly up there. I do think the smokers should be moved away from the doors to stop them continually opening and closing though.

Presumably though you've either walked up to the hospital or driven there and parked on the car park. How many noxious traffic fumes do you think you have inhaled in the process? Should we persecute and fime motorists too because thats another group that pays way over the odds in duty.

It was Tom that described is as 'A wall of smoke' and I agree with him, they should be fined for smoking in the doorway, that would stop the majority of them.

As for traffic fumes, not even a viable argument, just daft really.

Second hand smoke kills around 12,000 people a year in the UK, food for thought maybe Gordon.

I had an op on my leg about 1970 and smoking was allowed in bed! Smoking was everywhere even in cinemas, buses and on aeroplanes, I suggest our tolerance levels have been altered since the ban.

We're not in 70's anymore, has nobody told you :rock:

That would explain it ...... :tu:

• Backroom

Particularly pertinent to me as my late uncle died of lung and oesophaegal cancer, despite never having smoked in his life.

However, he was head waiter at several Manc restaurants (Isolabella, Pizzeria Italia and latterly San Carlo). Second-hand smoke over the years was deemed the cause.

It was Tom that described is as 'A wall of smoke' and I agree with him, they should be fined for smoking in the doorway, that would stop the majority of them.

As for traffic fumes, not even a viable argument, just daft really.

Second hand smoke kills around 12,000 people a year in the UK, food for thought maybe Gordon.

According to the Guardian 29,000 die prematurely per year from diesel fumes. Are we going to ban diesel vehicles? No we reduce the road tax instead.

According to the Guardian 29,000 die prematurely per year from diesel fumes. Are we going to ban diesel vehicles? No we reduce the road tax instead.

7000 world wide die because of diesel fumes, 29000 world wide die because of pollution.

12000 die in the UK alone because of second hand smoke, no comparison really Al.

• Backroom

It was pretty bad yesterday, I'm obviously more sensitive to it when I have my 4 year old and pregnant wife with me mind.

Had a random trip out to Gullivers World on Sunday; the boy loved it but it's pretty skanky, my worst thing - a woman pushing a pram with another child in tow smoking away.

It was pretty bad yesterday, I'm obviously more sensitive to it when I have my 4 year old and pregnant wife with me mind.

Had a random trip out to Gullivers World on Sunday; the boy loved it but it's pretty skanky, my worst thing - a woman pushing a pram with another child in tow smoking away.

Not sure about Gullivers world but the hospital stuff is disgusting, anyone that supports the right to smoke in the doorway is equally as vile in my book.

Is vaping allowed inside ewood? The kid near me who spent 90% of the match texting was vaping that awful sickly strawberry flavour every few minutes. Whether vaping is good or bad that stuff smells like the inside of a cheap tart's handbag.

• Moderation Lead

Is vaping allowed inside ewood? The kid near me who spent 90% of the match texting was vaping that awful sickly strawberry flavour every few minutes. Whether vaping is good or bad that stuff smells like the inside of a cheap tart's handbag.

No. But there are always folk doing so!

I will take your word for that - the voice of experience should be heeded ^_^

You are not joining the control freak set are you Theno? There is no evidence that vaping causes any health hazard and if you object to the smell I trust you never have a couple of pints and then breathe on the people around you!

Tell him/her to get the Dandelion & Burdock or Sarsaparilla flavour. :tu:

Strawberry... One of the least eaten fruits, but the most popular flavouring for everything from yoghurt to cordial (eugh to the latter!).

You are not joining the control freak set are you Theno? There is no evidence that vaping causes any health hazard and if you object to the smell I trust you never have a couple of pints and then breathe on the people around you!

You don't normally have a pint and then breathe all over someone to be fair, Al! The smell from the vapour, to my mind, is pretty weak. As a non-smoker I've got no direct objections to vapour, but it's a worry that it could normalise smoking again.

What concerns me is that 5%. What is it?

Listening to Radio 4 yesterday morning, an expert said that the only danger they know of is that e-cigarettes may encourage people to get into smoking and perhaps lead them on to real cigarettes (and more). To my mind, alcohol can lead to alcoholism. So... Not sure where it leaves us.

E-cigarettes are slowly becoming a message that smoking is safe. But if they're medically safe (as in they do not directly cause fatal diseases as cigarettes can), then they're safe. Reminds me a bit of eye laser surgery. Maybe we won't know any real side effects for another 20 years or so.

I just hope that other non-drug related things, such as crap in our ready-made and preserved foods, doesn't get ignored. I suspect our diets are a bigger cause of premature death than anything else put together. Learn to cook. It will work wonders for you and prolong your life.

Archived