BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Shaw On The Embargo

"Robbo" did take his place once he returned from his lengthy injury? then the following season I think steele came in as number 1

has robbo found a new club yet? edit- a quick google search says not, he's clearly struggled massively with his fitness since his last serious injury and nobody has even wanted to take him on loan in the past year or so by the looks of it.

there are many things I hold against bowyer but paul robinsons decline isn't one of them.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Its all there in black and white. The figures are facts. Massive wage reductions? The wage bill had dropped 10% - from £34m to £31m, hardly massive.

John Williams said that relegation would be a disaster for this club. He said the job losses would be huge and basically the club would be unrecognisable. We haven't started to tackle the real implications of relegation yet IMO and that's showing in continued huge losses. So either we continue to mount debt or we make even more savage cuts. As MCMC1875 correctly said last week, the parachute payments are intended to give clubs time to reorganise finances following the loss of PL money. Bowyer/Shaw/venkys have hardly reacted to that yet.

I'm assuming the wage bill hasn't dropped much as we have paid a lot of players off? This will come down next year when they are not here?

Derek Shaw in actual speak shocker !!!

When he does open his dosy trap it's only to prime everyone for more sales. Fact is he hasn't a clue what's going on with the embargo he's just assuming like they assumed they might get Kim a work permit despite being strongly advised they wouldn't. How anyone can put any stock into anything this guy says is beyond me.

'Being paid to help clear up some of his own mess' as one poster put it. Absolutely spot on. This goon and others at the club have been trying to get Rhodes through the door for over 12 months now. This is their final push, he's more likely speaking to the owners through the press. Our accounts are going to spew money for the next few years anyway. Wage bill GOING UP and staff increasing despite the so called cost cutting ?

Wise up people it's all about back covering and % with these lot.

It took you five minutes to come up with that? What's up? Is Roverandout borrowing your brain cell?

oh such intellect...now ignore and get back on topic if you are able to , instead of being such a nice sort. i wont be commenting .Ignore me or are you in the the middle of a man crush, but just to let you knowbi dont swing your way.So jog on .

come on chris! lets not spoil the thread further, we've said our piece in regards to his behaviour now lets just let it lie.

ironic

Derek Shaw in actual speak shocker !!!

When he does open his dosy trap it's only to prime everyone for more sales. Fact is he hasn't a clue what's going on with the embargo he's just assuming like they assumed they might get Kim a work permit despite being strongly advised they wouldn't. How anyone can put any stock into anything this guy says is beyond me.

'Being paid to help clear up some of his own mess' as one poster put it. Absolutely spot on. This goon and others at the club have been trying to get Rhodes through the door for over 12 months now. This is their final push, he's more likely speaking to the owners through the press. Our accounts are going to spew money for the next few years anyway. Wage bill GOING UP and staff increasing despite the so called cost cutting ?

Wise up people it's all about back covering and % with these lot.

its all Jerry McGuire and show me the money

I'm assuming the wage bill hasn't dropped much as we have paid a lot of players off? This will come down next year when they are not here?

No doubt thats a small part of it, but we've paid players off since then as well - I think. Paying staff off has always happened in football, sacking managers and their coaching staff is costly, but it's not as though it won't happen again, admittedly not to this extent.

No doubt thats a small part of it, but we've paid players off since then as well - I think. Paying staff off has always happened in football, sacking managers and their coaching staff is costly, but it's not as though it won't happen again, admittedly not to this extent.

Agree there will always be costs - but as you say not to that extent - or anywhere near I would hope - those contracts for the types and age of players they were given too were absolutely obscene. Etuhu, Murphy and Best on long-term £30k+ a week deals. Orr on £16k. Rochina signing for half a million with £1.5 million in agents fees.

I thought our club would go bust with some of those still killing the books.

Now they are off - it may still have been too much to recover from, and we will be paying them off for probably a year I would guess - but I hope fans can see that getting those players off the books is half a step in the right direction and we get a few more through the gate at Ewood. Because of the cost cutting - every extra bit of income should go a bit further.

If you read the article Bucks, as den quite rightly said, it clearly states that we need one more player sale of £6mill upwards to get out the embargo (apparently). Shaw's way of justifying the sale of Rhodes, or presumably the sale of the rest of them in a mega bundle deal as I'm not sure where else we could get such a figure from.

"It is understood that Rovers, who are in regular contact with the Football League, would have their embargo lifted if they sold a player for a similar fee to the one they have received for Gestede".

That paragraph is pretty ambiguous, it could be taken to read that they need to sell another player as you say or it could also be interpreted that the sale of Gestede was the sale that was needed, lets hope it`s the latter.

Agree there will always be costs - but as you say not to that extent - or anywhere near I would hope - those contracts for the types and age of players they were given too were absolutely obscene. Etuhu, Murphy and Best on long-term £30k+ a week deals. Orr on £16k. Rochina signing for half a million with £1.5 million in agents fees.

I thought our club would go bust with some of those still killing the books.

Now they are off - it may still have been too much to recover from, and we will be paying them off for probably a year I would guess - but I hope fans can see that getting those players off the books is half a step in the right direction and we get a few more through the gate at Ewood. Because of the cost cutting - every extra bit of income should go a bit further.

All I see Bucks are two headline figures. Expenditure last March £60m, income next season £16m.

Kean was on 10k a week - wow! We really have been a gravy train if a third choice goalie was on 10k a week!

Sounds like he was the last of the `deadwood` on a huge wage. Rhodes, Marshall etc will be on a decent whack but at least they are key members of the team and deserve that big wage. Hopefully the embargo will be lifted in January and we can start making some shrewd purchases in the transfer market again.

I don't really understand what the Telegraph are getting at in this article. The way it reads to me is that if Rovers were to sell Rhodes (the only player worth significant money) then the League would lift the embargo.

But the rules state that the earliest the embargo can be lifted is in January. The club will file interim figures with the league in November and if those demonstrate that the club is on track then the embargo would be lifted. But that is in January. Not now.

I would say that we have done enough without selling Rhodes. £10 million brought in from sales this summer is exceeded only by Hull City. 2 free agents signed whilst 10 players have departed.

It will suit an awful lot of people were we to sell Rhodes as well. That would probably be the final nail to hammer into the club and would see the club stripped of its assets as hoped. Once that is achieved then there would be nobody left to sell and so they would probably then be happy to lift the embargo.

If Shaw can't put a case forward to the league that we are doing what is necessary after the business this summer and the last couple of years then he might as well resign.

I don't really understand what the Telegraph are getting at in this article. The way it reads to me is that if Rovers were to sell Rhodes (the only player worth significant money) then the League would lift the embargo.

But the rules state that the earliest the embargo can be lifted is in January. The club will file interim figures with the league in November and if those demonstrate that the club is on track then the embargo would be lifted. But that is in January. Not now.

I would say that we have done enough without selling Rhodes. £10 million brought in from sales this summer is exceeded only by Hull City. 2 free agents signed whilst 10 players have departed.

It will suit an awful lot of people were we to sell Rhodes as well. That would probably be the final nail to hammer into the club and would see the club stripped of its assets as hoped. Once that is achieved then there would be nobody left to sell and so they would probably then be happy to lift the embargo.

If Shaw can't put a case forward to the league that we are doing what is necessary after the business this summer and the last couple of years then he might as well resign.

The article is fairly clear that the embargo can be lifted earlier then Jan if we sell one more player for a similar amount to Rudy (JR). Tough one. I'm loathe to lose both Rhodes and Gestede but getting out of the embargo would give us a chance to improve the overall quality of the squad quite dramatically.

The article is fairly clear that the embargo can be lifted earlier then Jan if we sell one more player for a similar amount to Rudy (JR). Tough one. I'm loathe to lose both Rhodes and Gestede but getting out of the embargo would give us a chance to improve the overall quality of the squad quite dramatically.

I wonder if £3m for Marshall would do it?

I wonder if £3m for Marshall would do it?

If (and only if) it does, start the car.

On the face of it a very positive article from Shaw, people have been whinging on for ages about the silence and lack of response from the Club about FFP and have been asking for them to coimmunicate with the fans. Now once they do, the response predictably still gets slated.

The only reservation I have about the article is that I can't shake the feeling it's a means of softening fans up for the sale of Rhodes. We shall see. If not quite positive news imo.

Jake Kean a 4th choice keeper on 10k p.w. What's that all about? Utter madness. Mind you, GB is partly to blame for that for needlessly bringing in Steele which made it I think 6 keepers at the Club at the time at all levels. He shouldn't have been allowed to bring Steele in without dumping one of the others first.

Anyone seen one of the comments under the Shaw article in the telerag?

'Well done venkys, Shaw and bowyer

The management team has acted very responsibly over the last two years in very difficult circamstances

We are coming out of this leaner and stronger and our team spirit will be second to none, come on you blues'

And this got 57 thumbs up, aaaaaggghhhh. I tell ya, they want stringing up people who write this rubbish

Anyone seen one of the comments under the Shaw article in the telerag?

'Well done venkys, Shaw and bowyer

The management team has acted very responsibly over the last two years in very difficult circamstances

We are coming out of this leaner and stronger and our team spirit will be second to none, come on you blues'

And this got 57 thumbs up, aaaaaggghhhh. I tell ya, they want stringing up people who write this rubbish

That seems to be a slightly rose tinted view of our situation but is not really that far removed from your views in the opposite direction!

Archived