SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Match Report: Blackburn Rovers 3 - 0 Wigan

Parsonblue's report from the game yesterday:

Saturday 1st August 2015 – Pre-Season Friendly

Blackburn Rovers 3 v 0 Wigan Athletic

Blackburn Rovers (0) 3

Tomlinson 74, Hanley 83, Marshall 88

David Raya; Adam Henley (Ryan Nyambe 82), Shane Duffy, Grant Hanley, Marcus Olsson (Tommy Spurr 81); Jason Lowe (Sacha Petshi 82), Danny Guthrie (Willem Tomlinson 62); Craig Conway, Ben Marshall, Nicky Maynard (Nathan Delfouneso 32); Jordan Rhodes (Fode Koita 62).

Subs not used: Jason Steele (gk); Matt Kilgallon, John O’Sullivan, Anton Forrester.

Manager: Gary Bowyer

Wigan Athletic (0) 0

Richard O’Donnell (Lee Nicholls 46); Donervon Daniels (Leon Barnett 66), Craig Morgan, Chris McCann (Andrew Taylor 46); Jonjoe Kenny (Jordan Flores 84), Francisco Junior (Ryan Jennings 82), David Perkins, Reece James (Kevin McNaughton 84); Max Power, Michael Jacobs (Craig Davies 62); Will Grigg (Sanmi Odelusi 82).

Subs not used: Billy McKay

Manager: Gary Caldwell

Referee:

Bookings: None

Attendance: 3,504

The last time I recall a pre-season as seriously disrupted as this one was probably the summer of 1965 and the polio outbreak which virtually put Blackburn in quarantine and played havoc with the club’s attempts to arrange fixtures. A combination of Financial Fair Play restrictions, a transfer embargo, injuries and two unsettled strikers have given the Rovers management team headaches they could well have done without. With the pre-season now at an end the manager has still not been able to field his strongest eleven in any fixture. On the plus side it has provided the opportunity for some of the club’s younger players to be given the chance to step up to the plate rather earlier than they might has expected. Willem Tomlinson is the perfect example of a youngster grasping his opportunity with both hands. Twelve months ago he was preparing for a first season as a member of the Under-18’s and now he seems to be cementing himself a position in the first team squad.

As pre-season games go this was very much a dour game in the first half which livened up after the interval and by the end had become a fairly enjoyable affair. Gary Bowyer took the opportunity to have a look at yet another trialist with Nicky Maynard, the former Cardiff City teammate of Rudy Gestede, being added to the starting line-up. Maynard was one of three trialists involved for the Rovers with Danny Guthrie getting another outing in midfield whilst Nathan Delfouneso was on the bench.

The game started fairly quietly with little in the way of goalmouth action until Marcus Olsson whipped in a ball from the left which was aimed at Maynard. However, the visiting defence were able to clear the ball before the former Cardiff man could get to it.

Both Shane Duffy and Grant Hanley were called upon to block shots from the visitors and one such block almost proved costly when Hanley merely kicked the ball at an oncoming attacker. Fortunately nothing came of this. Francisco Junior had a sharp chance on twenty-two minutes when he dived full length to meet a cross from Jonjoe Kenny but David Raya was able to watch the header fly about a yard wide of the post.

The Rovers enjoyed plenty of possession during the opening half-hour but were unable to make much headway in terms of goal threat. Jordan Rhodes, after a lengthy lay-off, looked somewhat ponderous trying to get on the end of hopeful balls played forward and clearly needs matches to regain sharpness. Guthrie, in particular, caught the eye with a steady performance in the centre of midfield. There was nothing showy about his performance but he was neat and tidy in possession and continually made himself available and kept the play flowing.

Just past the half-hour mark the ill luck that has dogged Gary Bowyer through the pre-season campaign struck again when Maynard had to leave the field injured and was replaced by Delfouneso.

It was a fairly bruising encounter thus far with Wigan giving no quarter when the Rovers attempted to break free of the visitors’ well marshalled defence. A good throw out by Raya set Conway free but as he raced down the wing he was cynically hacked down by Francisco Junior which led the referee to have stern words with the Wigan player.

Five minutes from the break the Rovers had a chance when Craig Conway’s centre found Delfouneso in space on the edge of the area but, sadly, he pulled his shot wide.

In truth, the first half had lacked any real goalmouth action and had become a dour affair as both sides flooded midfield which more or less cancelled each other out. Chances were at a premium and neither goalkeeper had been really tested.

The second half brought changes for Wigan whilst the Rovers remained unchanged. However, straight from the off the Rovers looked more lively and within a couple of minutes of the restart a corner kick put pressure on the visitors which ended when Conway got possession from Marcus Olsson, cut inside and then struck a thunderous effort which rattled the crossbar.

When Junior tried to do the same at the other end the ball sailed harmlessly over the bar with Raya not being required to make even a token effort at saving the ball.

On fifty-four minutes the Rovers had a glorious chance to open the scoring when Rhodes picked up along clearance from Raya and played the ball inside to Delfouneso. The former Villa man might, and arguably should have shot himself, but quickly returned the ball back to Rhodes who shot straight at the ‘keeper. In the scramble that ensued, Ben Marshall’s follow up effort was then saved by Lee Nicholls, who had come on at the interval.

After fifty-seven minutes Conway struck a fierce cross-cum-shot which flew just past the angle of bar and upright.

Just past the hour mark Rhodes was replaced by new French signing Fode Koita. Bowyer also gave Tomlinson another outing in place of the impressive Guthrie.

The French striker looked a big, strong, powerful unit and he quickly won applause with a neat piece of footwork which took him away from his markers.

The Rovers were looking a much more cohesive unit in the second-half and a flowing move down the left ended when Olsson cut inside only to strike his shot well wide.

The visitors made more changes but on seventy-four minutes it was the Rovers who took the lead with a wonderful strike from Tomlinson. Once again the ball was worked down the left and the move seemed to have stalled when the ball was switched inside to the 17-year-old Academy player who struck a thunderbolt from 30 yards or so which beat Nicholls and found the corner of the net.

Ten minutes from the end the Rovers made more substitutions and a couple of minutes later they found themselves with a two goal lead after a Conway corner was headed home by skipper Grant Hanley.

The Rovers were now in total command and another good run by Tomlinson saw him play in Nyambe who pulled the ball back to Conway whose shot was wide of the target.

Three minutes from time Raya, who had had a fairly quiet afternoon was finally called into action when Wigan were awarded a free-kick just outside of the area. The aptly named Max Power struck a fierce shot which seemed to be going in until Raya leapt to finger-tip hit over the bar. From the resultant corner the veteran Kevin McNaughton, on trial at Wigan, met the ball and sent in a powerful header but Raya, once again, was on hand to save.

Sixty seconds later the Rovers celebrated their third goal of the afternoon when Marshall, who had struggled at times to get into the game, picked up the ball on the left, cut inside and struck an absolute thunderbolt past a startled Nicholls from 25 yards out which flew into the top corner of the net.

Whilst it was by no means a faultless performance and there are still issues to be resolved it was a game which did offer some hope for the future. Raya appears to have staked a real claim to be regarded as the number one custodian at the club. He’s athletic, prepared to come for crosses and tries to distribute the ball intelligently in creating attacks. Whilst Tomlinson may be a little young to be a regular starter, there is no doubt that he has probably done enough to earn a squad number for the senior team – no mean feat for a lad who is still part of the Academy set-up and who has only made one start for the Under-21 team.

Both Danny Guthrie and Nathan Delfouneso continue to impress and add something which a depleted squad lack at present. Guthrie is unspectacular but does the simple things well and seems the ideal partner for Williamson in the centre of midfield, particularly if Bowyer opts for three attacking midfield players in front of them. Delfouneso has impressed with his movement on and off the ball and brings a mobility to the attack which we lack.

There is no doubt that the restrictions placed upon the club at the moment are a huge handicap for Bowyer and his staff and clearly it is going to be an uphill battle on what has become a very uneven playing field. But, as always, a new season always brings optimism and hope even when the odds are firmly stacked against us.

Who would Bowyer have liked to have played and couldn't? That is, why couldn't he play his strongest XI? With Gestede gone, surely that was his best?

Secondly, what do players have to do to get their opportunity in order to grab it? What has Tomlinson done that Mahoney hasn't, for example, particularly given he isn't time served in the U21s?

very good match report there ParsonBlue.and I agree with very much of it.

I very much expected the team that starting the game yesterday apart from who will start left wing. for me, Guthrie should be signed up

ParsonBlue, can I ask you whether you agree with Rovers playing 4-2-3-1 formation and do think Bowyer is playing this formation cos he has learnt from last season when Rovers got out numbered in midfield and lost the battle in there?

Who would Bowyer have liked to have played and couldn't? That is, why couldn't he play his strongest XI? With Gestede gone, surely that was his best?

Secondly, what do players have to do to get their opportunity in order to grab it? What has Tomlinson done that Mahoney hasn't, for example, particularly given he isn't time served in the U21s?

Doubt Bowyer knows his strongest 11! He didn't in the first 2 years, much less now he's having to search the bargain basement to fill the squad out.

Thanks parson for the in depth match report. Much appreciated.

Bowyer said last season that the GK coach rated Steele highly, think he may have worked with him before so when he became available they wanted to look at him. The GK was instrumental in keeping Clint as well as he'd worked with him before. He was probably instrumental in helping shove Robbo and Kean out of the picture. I think the wages thing with both of them was just a tool to justify levering them out as all that went on last season cost a load of money instead of saving it. Long term cheaper yes but it wasn't an urgent area to address particularly when your skint and other areas of the team were crying out for strengthening.

Makes you wonder why Steele was ever bought really

I think that Raya has progressed much faster than anyone could have imagined. Long term he is without doubt the best bet for the goalkeeping position and in many ways it is a similar situation to when we had Given and Flowers. Given was clearly too good to play second string and hence left. I think that the coaching staff probably feel that Raya is too good to be on the bench for long. If he doesn't start as the number one he will surely be on the bench as the number two and I would think would be our first choice before long.

Would anyone really be surprised to see him swap the keepers about to the tune of development. Maybe not every game but every now and then. Wouldn't be surprised to see whoever starts between the sticks to pick up some kind of knock after about 5 games only to return about 5 games later play 10 then dispear again for a bit. Maybe I'm just cynical, can't think why though :rolleyes:

I think that Raya has progressed much faster than anyone could have imagined. Long term he is without doubt the best bet for the goalkeeping position and in many ways it is a similar situation to when we had Given and Flowers. Given was clearly too good to play second string and hence left. I think that the coaching staff probably feel that Raya is too good to be on the bench for long. If he doesn't start as the number one he will surely be on the bench as the number two and I would think would be our first choice before long.

Another pointless signing and maybe we wouldn't be in an embargo had we not bought our 4th goalie. I thought you'd try and justify it somehow

After all the messing around they did with the keepers last season and the money completely wasted ? The lengths they went to in order to get Steele as our number one, not exactly great management or great cost cutting is it ?

A very strange transfer was that one !

Indeed. Not so much from the point of view of Raya but due to the fact we already had Eastwood and Robinson on the books. I'm not suggesting there was anything untoward going on but it was a complete waste of money in our situation.

As for Raya I recall someone who knows him telling me he was very hacked off by it and he was sent out on loan shortly after Steele came in as I recall.

The signing of Steele made perfect sense at the time. Robinson was on his way and Eastwood looked as good as me and raya was still a few years off being number one status.

Just because Eastwood and raya stepped up their game does not make Steele a bad signing. If anything there development supports the signing.

No one was complaining when we signed Steele, we can't get angry 6 months down the line

Parson, the only thing I'll take issue with is your comment that Tomlinson is a little young to be a regular starter. I'd admit that he needs to be handled very carefully and not physically burnt out but if he can handle that side of it, if he's good enough he's old enough for me.

Look at O'Sullivan. He's what 23? and should really be in the peak years of his career but is still regarded as this young whippersnapper who's too inexperienced to be risked regularly in the first team. He should have been fully tried out and either confirmed as a first team squad member or discarded long before now.

Another pointless signing and maybe we wouldn't be in an embargo had we not bought our 4th goalie. I thought you'd try and justify it somehow

Fact are facts. You may not like them but they are facts. At the start of last season Raya has just got into the Under-21's and was sharing that position with Eastwood and Kean. Raya looked raw whilst Eastwood and Kean were very indifferent at that level to say the least hence the need to sign a 'keeper, particularly as Robinson had questions with regard to fitness. Raya benefited hugely from playing Conference football with Southport whilst Steele and Eastwood have both been erratic in terms of form. I would have thought the fact we have an excellent young 'keeper on our hands would be cause for celebration but, as always, a positive becomes a major negative to some.

Fair enough, some may have complained. However the general feeling was the signing was positive. Remember when we signed him we had just started the embargo and the only paid transfers we could make us for those on loan.

I wish we had put the money together for baps but he'd only looked ordinary at that stage where Steele had displaced Robinson as number one

The signing of Steele made perfect sense at the time. Robinson was on his way and Eastwood looked as good as me and raya was still a few years off being number one status.

Just because Eastwood and raya stepped up their game does not make Steele a bad signing. If anything there development supports the signing.

No one was complaining when we signed Steele, we can't get angry 6 months down the line

No one was complaining when we signed Steele ? lol you've a lot to learn on here, the place was nearly in meltdown although of course opinions varied. To say no one was complaining though is way off the mark.

I'll read the thread again but I didn't think the feeling was negative. Hold my arms up if I was wrong.

I for one was happy we signed him as kean and Eastwood looked horrible the season before.

Although I agree with all raya should be number one so we don't lose him

• Backroom

Some on here would have a melt down if the club brought in a surplus water cooler.

Some would find Scarlet Johansson spread-eagled on their bed and complain that she broke in.

Archived