BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Premier League 2015/16 Thread

DE.

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Don't see any problem with Kane and Vardy up front, and then Welbeck, Rooney and (unlikely to be fit, but even so) Sturridge on the bench

Possible if Roy returns to the diamond formation, I guess. No chance he'll play a straight lines 4-4-2 though, thankfully he's rid us of that formation.

New contender for worst post ever? I think so.

Bizarre stuff!

Perhaps he is like me and 22 of the grounds he has visited are now supermarkets/car parks/waste grounds.... so don't count any longer. About to lose Upton Park off the list as well now.

Although I did go to the Olympic Stadium when it was doing the Olympics.

• Backroom

Dyche would be good for them, go on Dyche get yer gone!

I think if we start strong next season then Lambert will end up a target of the lower end premier league teams, still they would at least mean we were doing well!

David Moyes 5/2 Brendan Rodgers 4 Rafael Benitez 4 Harry Redknapp 14

Latest odds on Oddschecker. I suppose they all fancy a job but how many of them would work with Mike Ashley? Apparently McClaren doesn't get much say in the players coming in. Wonder how many of these managers would work under those conditions?

Dyche would be good for them, go on Dyche get yer gone!

I think if we start strong next season then Lambert will end up a target of the lower end premier league teams, still they would at least mean we were doing well!

Surely people like Dyche, Bruce, Karanka, Hughton, McCarthy and Rowett would all be ahead of him if a vacancy came up? All have been successful at their clubs for several years now. Hughton and Rowett have worked miracles at their clubs on limited budgets.

I think its becoming less and less fashionable for the Premier League boys to appoint British managers. There seems to be a stigma attached to them. Clubs increasingly prefer foreigners who sound good and who haven't been tarred by failing in England in the past. That's why Dyche is still at Burnley, because nobody bigger has gone in for him. All those vacancies at bottom end Premier League clubs and a very good job at Burnley over 3 years and yet he' still there and hasn't come close to leaving. At the end of the day that's because he's not fashionable. Neither is Steve Bruce, Mick McCarthy or Chris Hughton. The only way that lot are going back to the Premier League is if they get a team promoted there. The reason is that they have all 'failed' to some degree in the Premier League and that takes some getting over. Lambert is the same. Even if he works miracles and gets us challenging at the top next season, Premier League directors and supporters will always drag up his time at Villa and use that against him. Fortunately for us I think the only way Lambert's reputation will be fully repaired after Villa is if he actually achieves promotion. Merely competing for the play offs won't set him any higher than many others who have done that over the last few years

If he chose to play a lone striker, I'd think Kane would be the best bet

*Step forward Rooney*

Thinking about it a bit more, a diamond formation might suit our form players best at the moment. We don't really have any wingers in any sort of great form (although I do have high hopes for Sterling and Chamberlain). Rooney could play behind Kane and Vardy, with any trio of Alli/Barkley/Henderson/Wilshere/Dier/Milner/Lallana/Delph etc supporting behind.

Margaret Byrne, Sunderland CEO, has resigned over her handling of the Johnson affair.

I should think so too. Disgraceful situation. She knew what he'd done but don't worry, he's going to plead not guilty. At least have the decency to admit you made a footballing decision.

I should think so too. Disgraceful situation. She knew what he'd done but don't worry, he's going to plead not guilty. At least have the decency to admit you made a footballing decision.

Just as a matter of interest, what would you have done as the CEO of Sunderland AFC? Bearing in mind that in this country you are innocent until proven guilty? Also bearing in mind that she is a lawyer?

She is a sacrificial lamb, as far as I'm concerned.

The very best they could have done was to suspend him on full pay pending the trial. Unless you think he should have been sacked as soon as the CEO saw 'the evidence'?

Just as a matter of interest, what would you have done as the CEO of Sunderland AFC? Bearing in mind that in this country you are innocent until proven guilty? Also bearing in mind that she is a lawyer?

The very best they could have done was to suspend him on full pay pending the trial. Unless you think he should have been sacked as soon as the CEO saw 'the evidence'?

The wording of the resignation statement is one of complete turnaround from what she was saying a few days ago, to me it reeks of a golden handshake deal, to take the heat away from the situation and get on with the football.

Incidentally, i think if the football fans in the north-east actually looked outwards rather than at each others clubs, then this wouldn't have really been an issue where this was a big deal. As above, the innocent until proven guilty line was all that was really needed from the club for my money, its Johnson who's in the wrong here.

No, he should've been suspended until the trial. Last May Johnson told the CEO what he'd done with a girl he knew was under age. She had full disclosure of the evidence including the 800+ messages, many graphic according the Police. What she reported to the board and Sam was a very broad overview, by her own admission she left out the detail. At the very least the board and Sam should have been made aware of the full facts. I'm in no doubt it was decided between the CEO and the players legal team (put in place by the CEO) to stretch it out as far as possible to keep Johnson playing. In the meantime a young girl, stupid as she may be, has suffered a terrible time, much of which is a direct result of the actions taken by the club she loves.

No, he should've been suspended until the trial. Last May Johnson told the CEO what he'd done with a girl he knew was under age. She had full disclosure of the evidence including the 800+ messages, many graphic according the Police. What she reported to the board and Sam was a very broad overview, by her own admission she left out the detail. At the very least the board and Sam should have been made aware of the full facts. I'm in no doubt it was decided between the CEO and the players legal team (put in place by the CEO) to stretch it out as far as possible to keep Johnson playing. In the meantime a young girl, stupid as she may be, has suffered a terrible time, much of which is a direct result of the actions taken by the club she loves.

He would have had to have been suspended on full pay. So their choice was to pay a guy £60k a week for doing nothing, without him being covered by insurance in the way that an injured player would be. That is what I would have done as the CEO, without a shadow of doubt. Many of us are regularly faced with such decisions involving staff. But football is slightly unusual - don't you think there would have been a hue and cry about that as well? Imagine it, a guy being paid that amount of money for kicking his heels, after what he had (at that time allegedly) done. Sunderland were in a no-win situation really, and as someone posted above, the finger of blame should be pointed squarely at Adam Johnson and him alone.

Interestingly, one of his last acts as a Sunderland player was to score a vital goal at Anfield that helped to secure them a point, less than 48 hours before his court case began. If Sunderland stay up by a point, or on goal difference, do you think their fans will be complaining about the inclusion of a scumbag in their team?

Archived