BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Premier League 2015/16 Thread

DE.

The FA can reject it if they want. They could have stopped the Premier League from being formed but wanted to point score against the Football League and dilute their power so allowed it to happen. They are the governing body of football in England. If they don't like it they can refuse it. But then again this is the organisation that has allowed the Premier League and Sky to destroy English football and allowed ASDA and Winkelman to steal Wimbledon FC so I wont hold my breath about them standing up for the good of the game.

I also imagine UEFA and the Premier League boys would put up a fight also. A Super League would virtually destroy the appeal of their competitions and the TV revenues they could attract.

UEFA will be terrified of the prospect of the bigger clubs forming another competition, so I imagine the next stage will be to bring in a coefficient system where those clubs who have done well in Europe over a period of years are the ones who automatically qualify. This would wipe out the chances of one season wonders like Leicester gatecrashing the party as they have no track record of success, whilst the likes of Liverpool and United, who have won the competition recently and have reached the latter stages numerous times, could afford a few bad seasons yet still have the 'points' in the bag from earlier years.

No doubt there would be more United shirts around the town then.

Hopefully a fan backlash would be more swift and organised (for once) that it will be dead from the outset.

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

MARCH 20TH ...YOU REALLY ARE BORING .

No doubt there would be more United shirts around the town then.

Hopefully a fan backlash would be more swift and organised (for once) that it will be dead from the outset.

The FA can reject it if they want. They could have stopped the Premier League from being formed but wanted to point score against the Football League and dilute their power so allowed it to happen. They are the governing body of football in England. If they don't like it they can refuse it. But then again this is the organisation that has allowed the Premier League and Sky to destroy English football and allowed ASDA and Winkelman to steal Wimbledon FC so I wont hold my breath about them standing up for the good of the game.

I also imagine UEFA and the Premier League boys would put up a fight also. A Super League would virtually destroy the appeal of their competitions and the TV revenues they could attract.

UEFA will be terrified of the prospect of the bigger clubs forming another competition, so I imagine the next stage will be to bring in a coefficient system where those clubs who have done well in Europe over a period of years are the ones who automatically qualify. This would wipe out the chances of one season wonders like Leicester gatecrashing the party as they have no track record of success, whilst the likes of Liverpool and United, who have won the competition recently and have reached the latter stages numerous times, could afford a few bad seasons yet still have the 'points' in the bag from earlier years.

Thats what I was getting at. There's a power play going on. The big boys threaten to leave and the governing bodies are forced into organising, to stifle competition and guarantee snouts in the trough for the money grubbing Clubs.

On the point of The FA and UEFA have the power to veto such a move. That is true, they could refuse to give such a completion Official sanctioning. How ever the nuclear option for that cabal of Clubs (presuming also that Barca, Real, Bayern etc will also be involved) is that they form a breakaway Euro Super League, backed by TV money and exclusive merchandising. Not a soft option as it would obviously stop them competing in domestic leagues and other European comps. But if it guarantees huge income for these 'greedy' Clubs I'm sure it would remain an option.

Imagine the up coming Sky TV financial deal being divided up amongst just handful of European Elite Clubs. Money Talks.

Thats what I was getting at. There's a power play going on. The big boys threaten to leave and the governing bodies are forced into organising, to stifle competition and guarantee snouts in the trough for the money grubbing Clubs.

On the point of The FA and UEFA have the power to veto such a move. That is true, they could refuse to give such a completion Official sanctioning. How ever the nuclear option for that cabal of Clubs (presuming also that Barca, Real, Bayern etc will also be involved) is that they form a breakaway Euro Super League, backed by TV money and exclusive merchandising. Not a soft option as it would obviously stop them competing in domestic leagues and other European comps. But if it guarantees huge income for these 'greedy' Clubs I'm sure it would remain an option.

Imagine the up coming Sky TV financial deal being divided up amongst just handful of European Elite Clubs. Money Talks.

Going one step further though, if UEFA or the FA were really against the idea, yet the clubs still broke away, then they could introduce a rule where players playing for the break away clubs were not allowed to be selected for the national teams and were not allowed to compete in knock out competitions or international tournaments.

Whilst that might not be a problem for some I'm sure some players would think twice about playing for those clubs if it made them ineligible for international football.

That's another option they could go for if they were determined to stop this happening and regain control of our national game, not for one minute do I think they will offer any significant resistance.

Money talks but would the product be as good as they think cant see the atmospher being all that once a team cant win it and no relegation, and away fans would dwindle its ok for a few games a season but every other week would be a push, can see easyjet and ryan air making money flights would jump up on these weeks.

Money talks but would the product be as good as they think cant see the atmospher being all that once a team cant win it and no relegation, and away fans would dwindle its ok for a few games a season but every other week would be a push, can see easyjet and ryan air making money flights would jump up on these weeks.

If its a route they choose to take they will be cutting their own throats in the end.

However I think they are just using the threat of leaving to negotiate some improved (from their prospective) restructured Champs league that will guarantee the 'Big' Clubs an income and stifle competition.

The rise of showboat arm chair football.

I'm sure its United and that prick Ayre at Liverpool mostly putting it forward. City certainly haven't supported FUP but if Arsenal and Chelsea make it 4-1 in favor what choice is there? Despite City fans hatred of UEFA they aren't the type who will want something like this. Unlike those at Old Scumford at least Liverpool fans might be against it.

I bet utd and liverpool would not be thinking about it if they where good enough to qualify year on year just hope they get what they wish for and it fails .

• Backroom

So far tonight Spurs losing at West Ham and Arsenal only drawing at home to Swansea, could end up a good night for Leicester

• Backroom

City, Spurs and Arsenal all losing now it's getting to the point where Leicester will be embarrassed if they don't win the league!

It certainly seems that Arsenal are having their usual wobble again and potentially end up with nothing. Every year there is a clamour for them to strengthen in certain positions and bring in players of a certain character which might get them over the line but Wenger always resists and goes with lightweight approach.

I always think of the Brian Clough quote when I think of Arsenal - 'they float like a butterfly and sting like one'.

Hope he gets what he deserves inside. Sunderland now trying to excuse themselves for letting him play.

As I understand it Sunderland interviewed the guy. He told them he was innocent. They believed him at the time. I don't see what else they could have done.

As soon as they knew the whole story they fired him.

• Backroom

According to Johnson he told them a while ago that he texted and kissed the girl, and they continued allowing him to play and collect his wage regardless. As far as I'm aware Sunderland are denying his version of events and say they were under the impression he was going to plead not guilty until he did otherwise.

According to Johnson he told them a while ago that he texted and kissed the girl, and they continued allowing him to play and collect his wage regardless. As far as I'm aware Sunderland are denying his version of events and say they were under the impression he was going to plead not guilty until he did otherwise.

Then they should have made him sign papers for damages to prevent such a scenario. Either way Sunderland have made a serious error and what about the CEO who is reported to have known?

With the money he's made, surely he could make a bunk and create a new identity?

Countries that are somewhat more lax when it comes to age of consent would probably embrace a player of his talent. 4-10 years seems rather steep though in comparison to more serious cases.

I've said before that I even have doubts as to whether a prison sentence is the correct punishment. Putting him in a special wing, as they'll presumably have to, is enormously expensive and making him live in the outside world where it's almost impossible to get insurance, where you'd have to surrender your passport, tell the police every time you go anywhere, hand in a list of places where they can find you etc etc might be more of a punishment. After all, where can he go in Britain where people don't know who he is?

Then they should have made him sign papers for damages to prevent such a scenario. Either way Sunderland have made a serious error and what about the CEO who is reported to have known?

Countries that are somewhat more lax when it comes to age of consent would probably embrace a player of his talent. 4-10 years seems rather steep though in comparison to more serious cases.

The difficulty I have with this Vinjay is that in this country, we have a fundamental belief in 'innocent until proven guilty', and if Sunderland AFC were under the impression that Adam Johnson was going to plead not guilty, irrespective of what evidence they or their CEO might have been privy to, what were they meant to do about that? Had I been CEO I would have kept him under suspension and not allowed him to play, but I think they would probably have had to pay him, which means that £60k a week of their wage bill was idle and not covered by insurance in the way an injured player would be.

I do agree with the whole of your second paragraph though.

I really find it hard to have a go at Sunderland here, they sacked him the moment that he pleaded guilty. The only person to blame is Johnson.

Before the facts came out in court of exactly what had happened, I find it difficult to believe he had given Sunderland the same account.

Archived