BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Transfer Talk Part 4

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We don't need one with Lawrence koita and delfouneso as backups IMO

Lawrence is only here until January and could be recalled at any moment.

Delfy & Koita have never reached double-figures in their career.

If anything happens to Rhodes, we are well and truly goosed. Not that one player could make such a difference, of course. ^_^

We don't need one with Lawrence koita and delfouneso as backups IMO

You'd really be happy with that lot if Rhodes got injured? Career goal ratios:-

Delfy - 1 goal per 10 games

Lawrence - 1 goal per 8 games

Koita - 1 goal per 10 games

There's got to be someone we could snaffle on loan whose got a better record than that...? I appreciate Koita and Lawrence are good players, but being a good player is not the same as scoring goals.

1. How many premier league teams will lend us a goal scoring centre forward "incase" rhodes gets injured?

2. How many championship clubs have 2 strikers who guarantee goals like Rhodes?

I honestly don't know what our fans expect at times, but it seems a bit beyond an embargoed club with a minus turnover to go out and get an amazing player who guarantees goals from the bench.

Surely the answer is tie up Lawrence deal till end of season if possible and work on what we have? If rhodes gets injured then if someone's available there and then it would be different.

If there is a place we need backups it's right wing because other than Marshall- I can only see we have a young lad Mahoney as backup, but I may be wrong.

Rhodes does make a big difference in his own and attributing his form to being the defining factor in our results bears much more weight than your famous "Lowe out, we win, Lowe in, we lose" debate.

Still doesn't make it right though - no crosses in, no goals.

1. How many premier league teams will lend us a goal scoring centre forward "incase" rhodes gets injured?

2. How many championship clubs have 2 strikers who guarantee goals like Rhodes?

Youre missing the point. I'm not saying we need another Rhodes - obviously that is impossible. What we do need is someone who has a better scoring record than what we have which - as the scoring records of our strikers is so abysmal - is not difficult. Even 1 goal per four games (10 over a season) which is below average for a first team striker in the Championship, but better than we have.

At the moment we have literally no one apart from Rhodes who we can look at with any expectation of scoring more than four or five over a season. That's crazy.

Chadders and other posters who keep a keen eye on other clubs - is there anyone out there with a scoring record we could get on loan?

Maybe another Championship club would be daft enough to give us a decent player for free like Reading did with Akpan?

• Moderation Lead

Pereira played in the week and I think Wilson came on at the weekend, so I don't think we'll be able to pick either of those two up.

I don't think it's unreasonable to say we need some cover up front. A lot of people over-think things on here, but the simple fact is, if Rhodes is injured playing for Scotland, who do we play up top in his absence?

Brown, as much as he hasn't really done anything, is injured, Koita is a handful, but not a goalscorer, then we've Delfouneso, who has notched twice for us, but has never really been prolific.

I'd say we are short in terms of cover up front for sure, I don't really think anyone can argue that!

Rhodes does make a big difference in his own and attributing his form to being the defining factor in our results bears much more weight than your famous "Lowe out, we win, Lowe in, we lose" debate.

Why? They're both empirically proven.

Proven? I think it would take more than results with a player in/out to prove what you suggest. You're more than welcome to your opinion, but it is not proven fact.

Besides, why try and take this thread down the same path as this weeks match thread? Rhodes has nothing to do with JL, and as I mentioned it's still not really as simple as Rhodes in/win out/lose despite the obvious short sighted mentality toward football.

Koita has nearly scored in every game I've seen him, and I still don't recall him getting a run from the start either. Why is it so obvious this chap will never score goals? Why is it completely acceptable to judge players by past exploits on stats without any other semblance of experience to back it up? For example Koita has played as a wide forward for much of his career, not a centre - would this not be a sign of a change of approach for us?

The original point about rhodes getting injured would leave us short - I think that would be an emphatic yes from everyone- however I feel we shouldn't be prioritising limited loans or options of budget on another striker when we've got 4 first team already.

Surely the best thing all round would be offering Forrester or one of the other kids a chance if JR does go out and Delfouneso and Koita manage to score sod all?

As many point out, who's the back up option a centre back besides Kilgallon? Or who is challenging Henley for a place? Or who are these "umpteen" back up wingers that we have? I'd fear if we lost Marshall or Conway right now.

Koita has nearly scored in every game I've seen him, and I still don't recall him getting a run from the start either. Why is it so obvious this chap will never score goals? Why is it completely acceptable to judge players by past exploits on stats without any other semblance of experience to back it up? For example Koita has played as a wide forward for much of his career, not a centre - would this not be a sign of a change of approach for us?

A lot of go through their careers nearly scoring. We've had plenty of those at Rovers...

The ideal would be Lawrence and/or Koita start scoring regularly without having a history of doing so (that did happen with Gestede). However for that to happen is the exception rather than the rule.

I think it's too much of an issue to just wait. Id say we do need another centre back and a winger, but a second striker who actually scores goal is the highest priority.

Too right we've had plenty of them!

That's fair enough JBN, if I was manager I'd be thinking differently but you present a fair case. It would've been nice to get someone like le fondre on loan, but too me it still boils down to the quality available- hopefully the staff have someone up their sleeve if we do lose JR at all.

Chadders and other posters who keep a keen eye on other clubs - is there anyone out there with a scoring record we could get on loan?

Maybe another Championship club would be daft enough to give us a decent player for free like Reading did with Akpan?

I don't see many good strikers out there available for loan tbh.

I think Koita could score around 10 goals a season and the same with Lawrence tbh.

But its massive important we keep Rhodes fit and injury free

we should ask United for James Wilson.. i know he is still part of their plans, but he doesnt get much playing time. We should also ask for Parreira at United(has he gone on loan)

United rejected approaches from most championship for Wilson a few weeks ago and Van Gaal has said last week/or week before that Wilson wont be allowed to leave United on loan.

Pereira is in the United squad for some games so highly unlikely we would get in

A lot of go through their careers nearly scoring. We've had plenty of those at Rovers...

The ideal would be Lawrence and/or Koita start scoring regularly without having a history of doing so (that did happen with Gestede). However for that to happen is the exception rather than the rule.

I think it's too much of an issue to just wait. Id say we do need another centre back and a winger, but a second striker who actually scores goal is the highest priority.

With both first choice centre halves on 4 bookings - we may need cover at centre back fairly quickly.

With both first choice centre halves on 4 bookings - we may need cover at centre back fairly quickly.

Very good point...!

Just had a little look on the net for something about the yellow card suspension thresholds and when the amenesty is and can't find anything.

Is it just a one match ban when you reach five? When do you get another ban?

Koita is a talent, younger than Gestede when he joined right?

Lad needs some backing, patience but there is talent and his own application right there.

think we've a gem on our hands!

Be careful using the word gem around here, brings back some awful memories :o

Other than that I agree there is something there and it would be nice to have a proper cult hero again. We haven't had one of those for a long while so maybe this lad could be it if he starts pitching in with a net buster or 3. Reminds me of a young Samba, all arms and legs but polish off the rawness and you never know although I doubt he'll be a prolific scorer type.

Too right we've had plenty of them!

That's fair enough JBN, if I was manager I'd be thinking differently but you present a fair case. It would've been nice to get someone like le fondre on loan, but too me it still boils down to the quality available- hopefully the staff have someone up their sleeve if we do lose JR at all.

Totally forgot about LeFondre. That would have been perfect!

I guess all we can do is cross our fingers and hope Bowyer pulls off another quality freebie from somewhere.

You'd really be happy with that lot if Rhodes got injured? Career goal ratios:-

Delfy - 1 goal per 10 games

Lawrence - 1 goal per 8 games

Koita - 1 goal per 10 games

There's got to be someone we could snaffle on loan whose got a better record than that...? I appreciate Koita and Lawrence are good players, but being a good player is not the same as scoring goals.

What about'star'Chris Brown 0 goals per 20 + games.

Is he the luxury that Rovers can ill afford right now.

Jason Lowe come-back?

Lowe won't be back for months. My guess on the order of back up centre backs:-

1) killer

2) Lenihan

3) Spurr

Even if Lowe became available you'd need a real crisis (like we had last year) for him to come in.

In really not keen on the idea of Spurr playing in there at all, or Killer and Lenihan playing together, but killer or Lenihan slotting in beside Duffy or Hanley should be okay.

Archived