BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Transfer Window - January 2016

• Replies 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Key words there though buddy - 'staying up'. Do we have enough goals in the squad to do so? I'd argue it's touch and go.

Impossible to tell.

If we can keep it tighter at the back, we need to score fewer goals. Rhodes has been scored a reasonable number of goals this season but has by no means been the goal machine he has been in previous seasons. He managed 10 in our 27 games (not saying he started all of them, I don't have the stats to hand).

The other strikers have potential at this level. From what I've seen I'm sure they'll contribute something - not as many goals as Rhodes, but enough to make a difference.

What we really need to do is get goals from midfield and the occasional goal from a defender at set plays. In central midfield we have no hope without new players, but we know that Marshall and Conway can do more than they have this season.

Six of our next 8 fixtures are against teams in the top six.

Unless we can get the new players to immediately perform at their peak form, and the for level of performance to improve, we will be in deep trouble by the end of March.

We performed well against a league 2 team, but the top six are significantly better than Oxford.

I hope PL knows what he's doing.

The results against the top six wont be the deciding factor in our fate, they will after all take points from most games they play. It's all about how we do against those around us, and with the bit of strength, pace and determination provided by the new signings already made I am confident we have enough about us to hold our own.

Key words there though buddy - 'staying up'. Do we have enough goals in the squad to do so? I'd argue it's touch and go.

Since Lambert has come in Rhodes has only scored 2 in the league I think? I don't think we'll be banging them in but I do think we'll have enough to stay up, and then it's down to Lambert to rebuild the team in the summer! Watt Graham and Gomez all loans remember so if they don't impress then we won't have to buy them, although I think Watt is going too be made permanent in the summer either way.

Six of our next 8 fixtures are against teams in the top six.

Unless we can get the new players to immediately perform at their peak form, and the for level of performance to improve, we will be in deep trouble by the end of March.

We performed well against a league 2 team, but the top six are significantly better than Oxford.

I hope PL knows what he's doing.

Anyone can beat anyone in this league. Boro away will be tough but the rest are winnable. Plus, not forgetting we have winnable home games against Fulham and MK Dons. Also, we have a far superior gd to the bottom four teams and two games in hand.

Personally, I think Watt and Gomes will add a new dimension to our team and Ward will add much needed experience at the back. Think Graham could be handy too. Not convinced about Bennett.

It's the message it sends out at least getting a forward like clough in would Give the fans a lift where as just looks like they have just given up.

I don't think "given up" is in PL's vocabulary

It's silly not to strengthen in the goal scoring dept when the records of our current strikers are taken into account, we've struggled to score goals this season and we are 5 points from the relegation places.

I can see why Lambert might want to wait till the Summer but selling Rhodes is a bit of a game changer you'd think.

If you were a team below us you'd be looking at this as positive news.

It's the message it sends out at least getting a forward like clough in would Give the fans a lift where as just looks like they have just given up.

Graham's record at this level is far better than Clough ' s. How come so many just discount this? Even his loan a Boro was one goal in three. The rest of the time he's been in a higher division, playing out of position or against much better defences. He seems a very capable player at this level.

The results against the top six wont be the deciding factor in our fate, they will after all take points from most games they play. It's all about how we do against those around us,

It's more about how we've already done against those around us. We've already dropped points against Bolton and Charlton. If we take a paltry haul from those eight games, we will have one hell of a battle on our hands, there can be no doubt about that.

It's silly not to strengthen in the goal scoring dept when the records of our current strikers are taken into account, we've struggled to score goals this season and we are 5 points from the relegation places.

I can see why Lambert might want to wait till the Summer but selling Rhodes is a bit of a game changer you'd think.

If you were a team below us you'd be looking at this as positive news.

We've strengthened in attack - Watt, Graham and Jackson. All have looked relatively promising so far.

Let's not be all doom and gloom just yet, none of them have had a chance to prove themselves. If Lambert didn't have faith in them I don't think he'd have sold Rhodes, and I'm sure he'd be looking for reinforcements.

Graham's record at this level is far better than Clough ' s. How come so many just discount this? Even his loan a Boro was one goal in three. The rest of the time he's been in a higher division, playing out of position or against much better defences. He seems a very capable player at this level.

He was three years ago. If he can recapture that then great but his confidence must be shot.

Bit harsh, we've signed three strikers in this window. Watt is just as much of a prospect as Clough in my opinion. Graham has 45 goals in 131 games at this level (roughly one in three).

It's notoriously difficult to buy players in January, so I expect us to strengthen further in the summer. Solid start though.

We've strengthened in attack - Watt, Graham and Jackson. All have looked relatively promising so far.

Let's not be all doom and gloom just yet, none of them have had a chance to prove themselves. If Lambert didn't have faith in them I don't think he'd have sold Rhodes, and I'm sure he'd be looking for reinforcements.

When I said goal scoring dept I meant players who have a good goal scoring record. The only one we now have is Danny Graham and he hasn't done much in recent years and he's now 30.

Not saying he won't be good, just it's a bit silly to pin the hopes of the clubs position in this league on him when he's scored one goal in about two years.

Bit harsh, we've signed three strikers in this window. Watt is just as much of a prospect as Clough in my opinion. Graham has 45 goals in 131 games at this level (roughly one in three).

It's notoriously difficult to buy players in January, so I expect us to strengthen further in the summer. Solid start though.

I don't buy that we have four strikers we have two half decent albeit low scoring ones one who was not good enough for league one this year and Chris Brown who has more red cards than goals for the club.

Do Sunderland have a recall option on Graham?

When I said goal scoring dept I meant players who have a good goal scoring record. The only one we now have is Danny Graham and he hasn't done much in recent years and he's now 30.

Not saying he won't be good, just it's a bit silly to pin the hopes of the clubs position in this league on him when he's scored one goal in about two years.

From what I saw against Charlton I'm optimistic. Graham will get us goals and create chances for others. He puts himself about and brings others into the game. Jackson will be a super sub - he might not get many goals, but he draws fouls in key areas and his pace will trouble teams. I'm sure he'll chip in with a few goals.

Watt offers something that neither Gestede nor Rhodes has offered us. Let's not get too excited as it was against Oxford, but it was the first time I can remember a striker winning the ball back, running and scoring from outside the box in a while. Definitely hasn't been a key part of Rhodes' or Gestede's games, though I do accept they probably scored one or two like that.

Archived