BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Transfer Window - January 2016

One concern - having a read through some Sunderland forum and many saying Gomez can't play in a midfield two. Funnily enough I was going to mention earlier that he's like a slightly better version of Cairney.

Cant play in a midfield two... in the Premier League.

• Replies 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Gomez plays for us according to Wiki. Not sure if that's someone jumping the gun. Has a great record at this level though. A playmaker is certainly what we need, let's hope he's up to the job.

When I checked his wiki about an hour ago, it said he played for Wigan, after resigning for them on transfer deadline day 1st February 2016.

So, yer someone's probably jumped the gun. As usual.

Gomez can't be any worse than the central midfielders we currently have!

I thought Rhodes had conducted himself very professionally up until yesterday. To leave his transfer so late because he's greedy and, in the process, leave Rovers with so little time to improve the team was a smack in the face to all the fans and to his team mates. I no longer wish him quite so well!

If we can get Gomez in and at least one other midfielder or left back then I think the team will be stronger without Rhodes. Otherwise, we're up the creek without a paddle.

When I checked his wiki about an hour ago, it said he played for Wigan, after resigning for them on transfer deadline day 1st February 2016.

Speaking of wiki Jack Walker's page is too short for my liking. Might work on that soon.

West Brom have idiotically turned down a 24 million Berahino bid from Newcastle according to the Mirror.

His wiki page is a mess. It also lists his current club as Barca.

Jordi is a real class act with a very good goals record in this league, seems a good likeable character as well and he's at a good age, I think we could do with a little fullback cover but we should be fine if we don't get injuries,

I think this team should stay up no problem, then if we add a few more quality players in the summer using the rhodes money we should have a team worthy of seriously challenging next season.

Six of our next 8 fixtures are against teams in the top six.

Unless we can get the new players to immediately perform at their peak form, and the for level of performance to improve, we will be in deep trouble by the end of March.

We performed well against a league 2 team, but the top six are significantly better than Oxford.

I hope PL knows what he's doing.

Unless we can get the new players to immediately perform at their peak form, and the for level of performance to improve, we will be in deep trouble by the end of March.

We performed well against a league 2 team, but the top six are significantly better than Oxford.

You think that our pre January squad (with Rhodes) would have stood a better chance against the top 6?

At least we have players who have pace and can cause some problems.

Gomez sounds like the sort of player we've needed since Cairney left.

Jordi Gomez a decent signing, if we can't get anyone else in, in the time left today then fair enough. No need to panic buy, all about staying up this season and rebuilding in the summer. :tu:

Key words there though buddy - 'staying up'. Do we have enough goals in the squad to do so? I'd argue it's touch and go.

I'm not sure Rhodes being here would make too much of a difference. Sure, he scores a goal every game or two but the rest of the time it's like playing with 10 (mostly not-very-good) men. Not what you need against the top teams.

Give the new guys a chance. From what I've seen so far, the signs are encouraging. If we can get a new CM or two, that'll be a huge boost in an area we desperately need strength.

If Marshall and Conway can start hitting a bit of form too then we should be fine - they'll be like 2 new signings. They haven't turned into bad players overnight.

Lots of ifs, buts and maybes at this point. The only things which are certain in all this are that Rhodes doesn't want to stay, our remaining strikers are unproven but have some potential, and that we desperately need a creative central midfielder.

Archived