BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Cardiff City (A) Match Thread - 2Nd January 2016

Ricky

It looks like the previews only went up to the end of December so nobody is down to do the match preview of the Cardiff game.

Who's heading to it? I'm still deciding as its only about 50 miles for me so I should probably make the effort.

• Replies 425
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Only around 400 tickets sold for this, no surprise really after that weak effort at Bolton. Credit to all those trekking down but I just see similar to Boxing Day.

Plenty endeavour from most, plenty stuttering and hardly any chances. I'd start Lawrence & Rhodes, that should have been the pairing to finish at the Macron really. If I was him I'd be telling them to go looking for a Pen at every opportunity, we might then score.

Cardiff 1 Rovers 0

We are missing pace in midfield to bring the best out of Rhodes, Conway and Marshal have been struggling, to those ends, how about an experimental -

Steele

Marshal Hanley Duffy Conway

Akpan Evans

Delfuenso Lawrence Olsson/Taylor

Rhodes

Not to be taken too seriously, but this may get more pace where it matters and Marshal/Conway have the engines to get forward when required.

The problem with Doug's formation is the limitations of Rhodes playing his own up front.

Rhodes is incapable of playing with his back to goal so balls out of defence would have to be aimed at the corner flags where Rhodes would have to chase down defenders.

Seeing as he's not the fastest or fittest player in the squad he would soon be knackered. It wouldn't work IMO.

The problem with Doug's formation is the limitations of Rhodes playing his own up front.

Rhodes is incapable of playing with his back to goal so balls out of defence would have to be aimed at the corner flags where Rhodes would have to chase down defenders.

Seeing as he's not the fastest or fittest player in the squad he would soon be knackered. It wouldn't work IMO.

The formation would be set up to play further up the pitch by getting Delfy Lawrence and Taylor/Olsson alongside or in front of him with the ball, and Marshal/Conway overlapping, this would play to Rhodes strengths - getting him in the danger area before he gets the ball.

• Backroom

Would be delighted with a point but expect none.

Delfounso was for me just about our best attacking player at Bolton and has earned a start with Rhodes.

First train at 7am tomorrow and gets back at 10:20pm - don't know why I bother.

Well, it's a new stadium at least.

The Reading and Bolton performances lead me to think this will be a long, and a more than likely, an unhappy day.

Probably 2-0 Cardiff, but could be anything to be honest. We'll probably win 3-0 and everyone will be checking how close to play-offs we are again.

Happy New Year.

First train at 7am tomorrow and get's back at 10:20pm - don't know why I bother.

Well, it's a new stadium at least.

The Reading and Bolton performances lead me to think this will be a long, and a more than likely, an unhappy day.

Probably 2-0 Cardiff, but could be anything to be honest. We'll probably win 3-0 and everyone will be checking how close to play-offs we are again.

Happy New Year.

Good on ya Martin, have a good un!

Would be delighted with a point but expect none.

Delfounso was for me just about our best attacking player at Bolton and has earned a start with Rhodes.

Agree, pity he wasn't on longer. If they start it'll be interesting to see if they can get a bit of a partnership going.

Steele

Henley - Duffy - Hanley - Olsson

Conway - Evans - Akpan - Lawrence

Rhodes - Koita/Delfouneso

I'm in full agreement with this line-up. Guthrie didn't show enough in the game against Bolton to suggest he should be starting ahead of Evans if he's fit. When on-form I think Marshall is terrific player at this level but he's flattered to deceive for a long-time now and maybe it's time to drop him/give him a rest from the starting line-up and give Lawrence a start in his place. Koita or Delfouneso to partner Rhodes upfront depending on whether Koita is fit. Saying all that I have a feeling that Lambert might return to the 4-4-1-1 formation that we played in the away wins against Preston and Bristol City. Which would be understandable given we haven't actually scored in the three games since we've switched to playing two upfront.

I hope for the travelling fans sake that both the players and manager want to put right what happened at Bolton.

Lamberts hands are tied at the moment, we all know that, but he'll surely get a reaction from players that want to be part of his plans going forward, so with that in mind:

0-2 Rovers

Archived