BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Summer 2016. Who Stays? Who Goes? You Decide!

Amo

Yeah mostly those who think a faceless trust who starved the club could do no wrong.

Though I acknowledge you have criticised them. Before anyone else reminds me of my decision to take a break (for a few weeks) its starting now.

I thought you had done one ?

• Replies 415
  • Created
  • Last Reply

for the Right back position why not look to sign Chris Gunter from Reading?

for attacking midfielder why not look at Bolton's Mark Davies? not sure if Gomez has performed good enough since he has come on loan to us to make his move permanent here.

would deffo sign Graham and Watt permanent this signings.

Yeah mostly those who think a faceless trust who starved the club could do no wrong.

Though I acknowledge you have criticised them. Before anyone else reminds me of my decision to take a break (for a few weeks) its starting now.

Vinjay we have been over this so often.

I never said they could do no wrong but that faceless trust gave us promotion, a League Cup win, four seasons in Europe, four top half finishes in five seasons, nine seasons in the Premier League, and a well run club full of decent people everyone could be proud of which in my view is pretty damned well flawless considering what followed.

I wrote an extremely lengthy response to this but you know what? I'm not going over it with you again.

Well run, well run, well run, well run, blah blah blah. I'll just lose my temper going on about starvation, poor marketing, Agnew's PR being a joke even then, etc.

I wrote a huge response to this (spent bloody ages on it) but you know what? Forget it. If people wouldn't listen before why should I put so much effort into making them listen now?

Just the same old "well run" stock response with zero tolerance for any counter arguments. Poor marketing, no "in house" PR, who actually chose which players to sign, Shearer and Ince being top 2 manager choices yet Williams had a simply flawless selection policy, etc. "Nice family club" that couldn't see the snakes like Agnew, Kean, Anderson lurking when people like me warned numerous times that being "too nice" attracts parasitical sharks. Being told by a (well regarded) board member on here that Williams wasn't impressed by Agnew but still decided to let him do the PR/Programmes while "keeping an eye" on him, etc. That sure worked out well guess simply firing him years ago wasn't a legitimate option?

Fair questions totally ignored like asking why Williams/Finn initially endorsed Venkys despite having to explain what relegation was, Egerton-Vernon lying, Williams acknowledging Jack's wishes on the Riverside were ignored, (TRUSTEE BREACH TERMS ALERT), how dare anyone suggest they ignored his wishes with transfer funds as well, etc. Could go on and on but I'm not going to. Every single time yet I'm called a broken record. There were many things I was right about regarding several aspects of the club and especially the previous owners.

Swore to myself after returning that I wouldn't get into the same arguments again. The trustees (and family) make me sick and that's that. End of. At least a few people realise what scumbags they are now.

• Moderation Lead

Vinjay, I feel like this has been said before, but can you post any thoughts about the Walker Trust in a relevant thread without taking this off topic? Like Abbey with Venky's, I don't think anyone is in any doubt about your feelings towards them.

I never said they could do no wrong but that faceless trust gave us promotion, a League Cup win, four seasons in Europe, four top half finishes in five seasons, nine seasons in the Premier League, and a well run club full of decent people everyone could be proud of which in my view is pretty damned well flawless considering what followed.

All true Philip-----BUT WHAT HAPPENED NEXT?

You don't seem to consider it was the Trust and the family sold us to those idiots and were directly resposible for "what followed".

We had been on the market literally for years, they had failed to adequately support their managers and they lost us the best one in Hughes.

They were desperate to get rid and this is why we are where we are. Jack's legacy completely disrespected.

Past achievements true,but it was sell or starve for the Club.

All true Philip-----BUT WHAT HAPPENED NEXT?

You don't seem to consider it was the Trust and the family sold us to those idiots and were directly resposible for "what followed".

We had been on the market literally for years, they had failed to adequately support their managers and they lost us the best one in Hughes.

They were desperate to get rid and this is why we are where we are. Jack's legacy completely disrespected.

Past achievements true,but it was sell or starve for the Club.

Exactly. All the good work done over 9 years under the Trust was completely and utterly wiped out by THEIR decision to sell the club and THEIR decision to sell it to unsuitable people. That is their legacy - despite being suitable and acceptable custodians, albeit reluctantly, of the club for a period of time, their final act as owners and behaviour since (no apology, sympathy, regret) means that their name will always be tarnished.

I even think there needs to be a rethink about just how successful things were under the Trust. Lets bear in mind that they had little/no input into the day to day running of the club. They paid Williams and Finn very good salaries to run the club for them on a budget that was to their liking. So I don't think the Trust members deserve particular credit for the on the pitch successes that we enjoyed. Williams and Finn, as well paid professionals, did very good jobs and fulfilled their remits, but were here before the Trust took control (Williams was, not 100% sure on Finn).

The Trust picked up a club all set for the Premier League thanks to Jack Walker, with first class infrastructure, top class executive staff and well placed for promotion. When Jack died the promotion winning squad was in place, Graeme Souness was in place, John Williams was in place. Everything was set in motion and the trust just had to sit back and watch.

I would love to know how much owning Rovers for a decade actually cost the trust fund. My guess would be that they made a very tidy profit out of the club, which was never what the Trust was set up to achieve. They would have been better giving the club away for nothing if there was somebody else willing to take it on who was a more sensible custodian who could respect Jack's legacy. Instead they set their price and decided they would sell to whoever came up with the money. Remember Ahsan Ali Syed and Racing Santander? They let him through the door too and no doubt would have sold to him before he was exposed by the BBC.

The Trust deserve credit for 3 big things - one was not upsetting the apple cart at any point and having the sense to allow John Williams to get on with doing a job he was very good at, secondly that they at least initially allowed decent investment in players such as Cole and Grabbi, and thirdly that when they turned the money supply off themselves they didn't put the club's future at risk by borrowing to facilitate heavy transfer spending (although it is also worth remembering that despite minimal transfer expenditure and selling our top players every season for 8 figure sums - that the club still managed to rack up a £20,000,000 debt with a commercial bank that was a major issue before and after the takeover at the club and was a millstone around the club's neck - so not exactly a clean bill of health financially).

I will never forgive or forget the role the Trust have played in the demise of this club. Infact I hold them more culpable than Venkys, as the Trust had an obligation to Jack Walker which they should have had at the forefront of their minds throughout, whilst Venkys are/were foolish/naïve/clueless businessmen with no link to the town/area and no duty/legacy to protect. I respect Jack Walker, John Williams, Tom Finn, Martin Goodman and the others, but not the trust.

My response to Philipl was removed (while his post stays nothing like blatant favortism :rolleyes:) but I'll get this back on topic rather than wasting my time responding again. Can the following 2 lines be kept at least?

Looks like its going to be a very busy week following the Myers news. Has anyone heard any updates on the Lambert meeting since my last update? Certainly relevant to transfer business.

My response to Philipl was removed (while his post stays nothing like blatant favortism :rolleyes:) but I'll get this back on topic rather than wasting my time responding again. Can the following 2 lines be kept at least? Looks like its going to be a very busy week following the Myers news. Has anyone heard any updates on the Lambert meeting since my last update? Certainly relevant to transfer business.

Watt on earth is a vinjay??

• 1 month later...

he'll be gone as the Fulham link has been around for awhile...as we head for league one at a very fast pace

Hanley would be stupid to go to Fulham - he is definitely worth a shout at a lower Premiership club. He is still young for a centre half - and I think this season has shown how good he could be. We should be looking for at least £7.5m+ add ons IMO - especially with the additional money in the Premiership this next season.

Hanley would be stupid to go to Fulham - he is definitely worth a shout at a lower Premiership club. He is still young for a centre half - and I think this season has shown how good he could be. We should be looking for at least £7.5m+ add ons IMO - especially with the additional money in the Premiership this next season.

Another one .....what's sort of Rovers fan are you selling a young captain.

ha ha and we'd see that money back in for new players as a war chest along with Rhodes cash...wake up and smell the coffee we need the likes of Hanley if were going to make a bid for championship survival

In a normal world, I'd be responding to JAL with a "for £8m I wouldn't just sell him, I'd drive him" but given that the money won't go on replacements, I'm not sure what the point would be.

That said, Hanley will go, I'm sure. But if the number is £1.5m I'd suggest that would be to Rangers, not Fulham.

They should do all they can to hold onto Hanley because his value will increase further if he keeps his nut down, keeps out of the Ley Inn & Dantes and off the black stuff.

They'll need the biggest fee possible from him because something tells me he'll be our last player worth real substantial money for a long while.

My prediction is he'll be off for about 2.5 plus add ons to Rangers/Derby or even Burnley at ten to twelve on the last day of the window. Ward is already here to replace him imo.

Archived