BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Summer 2016. Who Stays? Who Goes? You Decide!

Amo

Let's be realistic we don't have that many key assets that will generate funds. The key issue is that by letting

Taylor, Petchi, Brown, Delfouneso, Guthrie, Eastwood, Koita, Killa, Lee Williamson, O'Sullivan, Lawrence, Akpan, will at least leave room for wages. Allow Lennihan to be apart of the squad, and so forth for us to then use without going crazy on wages and increasing the wage bill drastically

I really don't get this to be honest.

If we clear out our more average players. I don't understand why we cannot raid the players with contracts expiring and loan market.

Are plenty of players who would improve our team with expiring contracts this summer. Just have to look for them.

If I was Lambert, I would be making an approach for Chris Gunter right now, contract expiring, miles better than what we have at Right Back right now.

Amazed people would get rid of Akpan but we all see things differently.

I guess I am the only person who thinks it is insanity to even consider selling Rhodes.

We should be ditching others and building round Rhodes. Not keeping others and leaving ourselves in a weaker position.

• Replies 415
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Amazed people would get rid of Akpan but we all see things differently.

I guess I am the only person who thinks it is insanity to even consider selling Rhodes.

We should be ditching others and building round Rhodes. Not keeping others and leaving ourselves in a weaker position.

He has the odd run where he looks a half decent championship midfielder but then he goes through longer spells where he's just anonymous and a liability. Flattered to deceive on the whole and we must do a lot better if we ever want to get out of this division.

He and Bennett were like the invisible twins first half.

I hope Lambert isn't tempted to take the lazy option and keep on the likes of Taylor & Spurr. You can't convince me that we couldn't find better value for money out there. I'd bin off all the players who are out of contract in the summer, including Lenihan. He's shown little composure or awareness on the pitch, and will find his level further down the football pyramid (hopefully not with Rovers!)

I hope Lambert isn't tempted to take the lazy option and keep on the likes of Taylor & Spurr. You can't convince me that we couldn't find better value for money out there. I'd bin off all the players who are out of contract in the summer, including Lenihan. He's shown little composure or awareness on the pitch, and will find his level further down the football pyramid (hopefully not with Rovers!)

Totally agree on Spurr and Lenihan. I'd be tempted to hang on to Taylor as a squad/utility player though wouldn't be heartbroken to lose him either. At least he does seem to try and care.

Totally agree on Spurr and Lenihan. I'd be tempted to hang on to Taylor as a squad/utility player though wouldn't be heartbroken to lose him either. At least he does seem to try and care.

I like Taylor, I'd have him in my team over Marshall and from what I've seen so far, Bennett, every day of the week. The only question is whether at his age he will feature on a regular basis. If not then like Williamson its not an effective use of resources to hand them new deals.

I can see what you're saying about Taylor, but I'd rather we trimmed the squad down and focused on quality over quantity.

I can see what you're saying about Taylor, but I'd rather we trimmed the squad down and focused on quality over quantity.

He's just so bloody useless as a footballer. (Imo)..never defends, can't hold anyone off, no real pace, never scores, can't head it, seems happy to coast as a sub....mirrors the problems we have. Get rid

Can someone please explain what Corry Evans does?

While I'm hesitant to defend him after he wasn't particularly sharp last night (rather he pick up his fitness in a game like that rather than in the league!), I'll just say try and remember his form before he got injured in December. While I'd agree Evans was pretty poor last year, he was also dealing with injuries and he was quite good when we first picked him up the year before. I think an Akpan-Evans pairing can turn out quite well for us, but perhaps that's just me!

We certainly need some backup for them though, as I don't think Guthrie and Williamson are up for it, Taylor's more of a winger, Lenihan strikes me as more of what we already have (and I've actually preferred his CB performances!), and who knows with Lowe (I don't hate him like some do, but he's again more of a DM than a CM...)

Football fan memories can be quite short! I'm confused as to why some are suggesting dropping Olsson after a few tepid performances when he was voted player of the year last year. Spurr's an okay backup with a long throw, but not much else. I guess him being out of contract is a factor, but remember how difficult it was to find a proper LB in the first place...

Then again, I'm guilty of the same as I was quite impressed by the Evans-Guthrie pairing not too long ago!

Certainly some easy cuts in the summer like Brown, Delfouneso, Williamson, plus maybe Petshi and O'Sullivan (while I'd suggest there's more of an argument to be had with respect to Koita, Taylor, Kilgallon, Henley, Lenihan, Spurr, plus whoever elses name has been suggested), but I'd argue our squad is quite trim due to FFP going into the year. I certainly agree with the sentiment of quality over quantity, but that can be pricey and easier said than done!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Backroom

For anyone who knows, can you explain our potential financial position come summer 2016?

The rules are that clubs mustn't make losses of more than £39m in 3 years. We are out of embargo which suggests we will meet this criteria. Can anyone clarify or give a rough forecast?

Think there will be a massive rebuilding job in the summer. Starters in bold.

Steele Raya Eastwood

Marshall Ward Hanley LB Henley Duffy Spurr

RW CM CM LW Bennett Akpan Lowe Conway

Watt Graham Jackson CF

Sell/release: Kilgallon Williamson Evans Guthrie Taylor Delfouneso Brown

Not sure how realistic a brand new midfield is but the current lot just aren't up to the job.

• 4 weeks later...

Last night I had a look at the squad and unless I'm mistaken then come the end of the season the only senior players who will be under contract at the club are:

Steele

Raya

Henley

Hanley

Duffy

Ward

Evans

Akpan

Guthrie

Lowe

Marshall

Conway

Bennett

So that's 13 players, 2 of which are goalkeepers and 0 are strikers. Out of the 13, who would you consider to be regular starters next season? Hanley and Marshall certainly (that's if we can keep the vultures away), Duffy, Evans and Bennett perhaps?

Personally speaking, out of the current crop whose contracts are expiring the only one I'd be gutted to lose is Lenihan - we need to be doing everything in our power to keep the lad. Spurr as back-up perhaps.

Huge job on Lambert's hands here. I'm more than happy to see dross leave (and by heck, we have a lot of it) but let's hope that Venky's don't completely turn off the taps because if they do then sh!t creek wouldn't do the situation justice!

Providing there is a decent kitty available and we are fast out of the blocks in the summer transfer window then the above situation is a very good one to be in. Lambert can do what he thinks is necessary without having to pay-off/sell/release players first. We'll be down to the bare bones and will need at least 10 new players just to have a squad for next season (assuming nobody else leaves).

I think Graham is nailed on to sign a contract as soon as his Sunderland deal expires. I still think the same will apply to Watt with Lambert clearly not happy with his fitness at the moment but the club announced it as a view to buy deal so I imagine all the work has been done on that deal.

Prior to Lambert's appointment then I would have said Lenighan would be off due to a lack of opportunities under Bowyer, however Lambert is clearly a big fan and he's been playing regularly. I'd be surprised if Lenighan left given his role in the team these last few weeks.

Come the Summer, if the likes of Taylor, Spurr, Williamson, or god forbid Brown have been 'awarded' new deals it's time to panic. It either means Lambert has taken leave of his senses or we haven't a pot to @#/? in.

What makes you think that?

There's not been much to suggest otherwise, all we can do is hope. Personally I think more outgoings will be the only thing that sees any significant coin spent. By that I mean about 1 mill spent if 5/6 mill goes out.

It could be a good thing that so many are out of contract:

1) Most of them are crap

2) The fact that a fair few of them will know full well that they won't be getting a new deal could very well be impacting their performance and attitude (if that is even possible) and adding a negative vibe to the camp.

3) Too many of these players have been here too long, they have been here throughout this dreadful 3/4 years- losers with a losing mentality.

Too many players at Rovers seem 'nice lads', but without that drive (or ability) to improve themselves or the team.

New broom please.

It could be a good thing that so many are out of contract:

1) Most of them are crap

2) The fact that a fair few of them will know full well that they won't be getting a new deal could very well be impacting their performance and attitude (if that is even possible) and adding a negative vibe to the camp.

3) Too many of these players have been here too long, they have been here throughout this dreadful 3/4 years- losers with a losing mentality.

Too many players at Rovers seem 'nice lads', but without that drive (or ability) to improve themselves or the team.

New broom please.

I think this the root cause of many of the problems with team performance and application.

Its quite possible some of the out of contract players assumed they would get new deals under GB. Now PL is in charge with a different game plan and clearly doesn't rate many of them, they have literally thrown the towel in. For me thats the only explanation for some individual and team performances since PL took over.

And in PL's defence, Winston Churchill would probably be unable to motivate a modern sulking 'professional' footballer with a looming realisation of impending unemployment.

Ship 'em out!

• Backroom

All Venkys have done since they have been at the club is spend millions out of their own pocket each season (their own fault of course).

I see no evidence as to why they wouldn't give Lambert a reasonable budget in the summer, we are now out of the embargo and I'm sure Venkys want us to get back in the Premier League just as much as we do.

Obviously they will be wary of us slipping back into an embargo but I see no reason why he wont at the very least get £9million from the Rhodes deal.

I can see Lambert getting a massive budget(between 12 to 15mil) to spend this summer.

I would sign Danny Graham and Jordi Gomez permanent this summer. unsure on Tony Watt due to him not playing much.

But we still need a pacey striker, winger, right back, left back or 2, goalscoring midfielder and a new goalkeeper

I hope we get Lenihan to sign a new contract and I think Lambert will give Brown a new contract aswell.

Archived