BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Summer 2016. Who Stays? Who Goes? You Decide!

Amo

I think this the root cause of many of the problems with team performance and application.

Its quite possible some of the out of contract players assumed they would get new deals under GB. Now PL is in charge with a different game plan and clearly doesn't rate many of them, they have literally thrown the towel in. For me thats the only explanation for some individual and team performances since PL took over.

And in PL's defence, Winston Churchill would probably be unable to motivate a modern sulking 'professional' footballer with a looming realisation of impending unemployment.

Ship 'em out!

The players you want are the ones that motivate themselves. The David Speedie, Paul Dickov, Kevin Moran types. Few and far between these days. Nearly anyone who's played pro football at a higher level for a while will be set up for life if they've looked after their dosh.

• Replies 415
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can see Lambert getting a massive budget(between 12 to 15mil) to spend this summer.

I would sign Danny Graham and Jordi Gomez permanent this summer. unsure on Tony Watt due to him not playing much.

But we still need a pacey striker, winger, right back, left back or 2, goalscoring midfielder and a new goalkeeper

I hope we get Lenihan to sign a new contract and I think Lambert will give Brown a new contract aswell.

God help us if Brown gets a new contract. When are the lists published? If Brown is retained I will have to think hard about renewing my season ticket. He is not a footballer

The players you want are the ones that motivate themselves. The David Speedie, Paul Dickov, Kevin Moran types. Few and far between these days. Nearly anyone who's played pro football at a higher level for a while will be set up for life if they've looked after their dosh.

Just 1 of those players in the 1st Eleven would put a rocket up any pampered prima donnas!

I can see Lambert getting a massive budget(between 12 to 15mil) to spend this summer.

I would sign Danny Graham and Jordi Gomez permanent this summer. unsure on Tony Watt due to him not playing much.

But we still need a pacey striker, winger, right back, left back or 2, goalscoring midfielder and a new goalkeeper

I hope we get Lenihan to sign a new contract and I think Lambert will give Brown a new contract aswell.

You surely don't believe we will suddenly throw £15m on transfers?

We may get a bit of the Rhodes money, but on what planet would we get all of the Rhodes money with £5m on top? We've just come out of FFP!

There's not been much to suggest otherwise, all we can do is hope. Personally I think more outgoings will be the only thing that sees any significant coin spent. By that I mean about 1 mill spent if 5/6 mill goes out.

It's a bit mis-leading saying the Venkys don't spend any money here. if you add the word 'wisely' it is a lot closer to the truth. Fact is they wax circa 15 to 20 million per year at the Rovers, with absolutely no return on investment. Say it fast and it doesn't sound so bad. Personally, I'd be gutted if I lost £20.00 on the high street. 20 million losses per year. Each and every year. Astounding.

Which begs the question how the sorry bunch of toe-rags we employ to run about can possibly cost so much, for so little return. Average nobodies pulling 10k plus per week. It's an absolute joke and casts the majority of Bowyer's signings and Bowyer himself, in a very poor light. Plus the executives who agreed and signed contracts.

The players have had their chance and failed the club, the man who signed them, the fans and the owners dismally. Other than Hanley, Duffy and Marshall from the old squad, plus a couple of youngsters, is there anyone left worth keeping? The sooner this squad is overhauled the better and I for one will not be in anyway sorry to see the rest of them leave.

God help us if Brown gets a new contract. When are the lists published? If Brown is retained I will have to think hard about renewing my season 22267ticket. He is not a footballer

My thoughts exactly. I would have a hard time justifying renewing my ST if Brown were to be handed a new contract.

Last night I had a look at the squad and unless I'm mistaken then come the end of the season the only senior players who will be under contract at the club are:

Steele

Raya

Henley

Hanley

Duffy

Ward

Evans

Akpan

Guthrie

Lowe

Marshall

Conway

Bennett

So that's 13 players, 2 of which are goalkeepers and 0 are strikers. Out of the 13, who would you consider to be regular starters next season? Hanley and Marshall certainly (that's if we can keep the vultures away), Duffy, Evans and Bennett perhaps?

Personally speaking, out of the current crop whose contracts are expiring the only one I'd be gutted to lose is Lenihan - we need to be doing everything in our power to keep the lad. Spurr as back-up perhaps.

Huge job on Lambert's hands here. I'm more than happy to see dross leave (and by heck, we have a lot of it) but let's hope that Venky's don't completely turn off the taps because if they do then sh!t creek wouldn't do the situation justice!

Did we not sign Jackson permanently?

I like Taylor, I'd have him in my team over Marshall and from what I've seen so far, Bennett, every day of the week. The only question is whether at his age he will feature on a regular basis. If not then like Williamson its not an effective use of resources to hand them new deals.

Rev strikes again with his ability to back no hopers whilst giving talented ones no support

This time it is Taylor over Marshall, we've had Josh King bein hounded in the past

And one of his faves was John Curtis and just look how a good player like Lucas Neil made him look the jobbing player he was

If Rev says he's good.... Time to worry

Rev strikes again with his ability to back no hopers whilst giving talented ones no support

This time it is Taylor over Marshall, we've had Josh King bein hounded in the past

And one of his faves was John Curtis and just look how a good player like Lucas Neil made him look the jobbing player he was

If Rev says he's good.... Time to worry

Not really sure what your obsession with me is going back to January to dig out one of my old posts without any provocation but I note you weren't leaping to Marshall's defence at the time. He has however hit a spurt of form since and hindsight is a wonderful thing.

Is there a technical term for online stalking?

• Moderation Lead

Lenihan looks likely to get a new contract, Lambert seems to like him a lot. Of the others, only Spurr and Brown looks to be in any sort of consideration, and then for primarily for places on the bench.

I reckon those two are just filling squad places at the minute as we've no other option. I imagine they'll be cut loose in the summer. (Or at least I bloody hope so!)

If you post rubbish and post with alarming regularity then you are likely to get called for it sometimes!

Marshall has always had talent and has always tried in which ever position he has been played, he had a slump in form for a while but anyone who couldn't see him as one of our better players is just not tuned in correctly. Marshall is of decent experience with many years ahead of him. A keeper for sure, the worry should be him wanting out.

If you post rubbish and post with alarming regularity then you are likely to get called for it sometimes!

Marshall has always had talent and has always tried in which ever position he has been played, he had a slump in form for a while but anyone who couldn't see him as one of our better players is just not tuned in correctly. Marshall is of decent experience with many years ahead of him. A keeper for sure, the worry should be him wanting out.

Marshall was so bad earlier in the season he had to be moved out of midfield so I don't see how you can say he should be there in that position in preference to anyone.

He's done quite well since being moved to RB but the test will be whether he can maintain that form over a prolonged period as he's never managed to do that before during his time at the Club.

Last night I had a look at the squad and unless I'm mistaken then come the end of the season the only senior players who will be under contract at the club are:

Steele

Raya

Henley

Hanley

Duffy

Ward

Evans

Akpan

Guthrie

Lowe

Marshall

Conway

Bennett

So that's 13 players, 2 of which are goalkeepers and 0 are strikers. Out of the 13, who would you consider to be regular starters next season? Hanley and Marshall certainly (that's if we can keep the vultures away), Duffy, Evans and Bennett perhaps?

Personally speaking, out of the current crop whose contracts are expiring the only one I'd be gutted to lose is Lenihan - we need to be doing everything in our power to keep the lad. Spurr as back-up perhaps.

Huge job on Lambert's hands here. I'm more than happy to see dross leave (and by heck, we have a lot of it) but let's hope that Venky's don't completely turn off the taps because if they do then sh!t creek wouldn't do the situation justice!

Going back to this, this has to be a massive worry and was it Stuart who pointed out that by summer 2017 the situation is even worse, there'll be only 6 players one of whom is Raya still in contract.

Normally when you're talking about a clear out you're talking about getting rid of a few players on the fringes but you still have a reliable main core of players, not facing the prospect of being left with practically no-one at all.

Not really sure what your obsession with me is going back to January to dig out one of my old posts without any provocation but I note you weren't leaping to Marshall's defence at the time. He has however hit a spurt of form since and hindsight is a wonderful thing.

Dunno but there is a term for you based on some of your recent posts.

How about "The Message Board's Resident Contrarian"?

And you don't need hindsight to realise that Marshall has natural talent which is bound to surface eventually.

Perhaps with a decent manager?

Going back to this, this has to be a massive worry and was it Stuart who pointed out that by summer 2017 the situation is even worse, there'll be only 6 players one of whom is Raya still in contract.

Normally when you're talking about a clear out you're talking about getting rid of a few players on the fringes but you still have a reliable main core of players, not facing the prospect of being left with practically no-one at all.

Most of them won't be missed of course, its why we are 19th!

You have to assume that a manager as experienced as Lambert will have worked this out before any of us did.

You should worry. Yoda feels the need to reply to every one of my posts. I think he's ill.

I don't see how you rate Taylor so highly. The lad's a bit-part player at best and contributes very little to the team. Marshall is probably one of one two players in the entire squad we'd get some decent money for (Hanley being the other). Taylor lucky to have a full time contract at all.

• Backroom

Marshall has obvious talent but has only ever performed in spells.

In fact I would say his current spell is the longest period of good form he's had here, the trick is if Lambert can keep getting that level from him

Dinno but there is a term for you based on some of your recent posts.

How about "The Message Board's Resident Contrarian"?

And you don't need hindsight to realise that Marshall has natural talent which is bound to surface eventually.

Perhaps with a decent manager?

Most of them won't be missed of course, its why we are 19th!

You have to assume that a manager as experienced as Lambert will have worked this out before any of us did.

It might be said that expression also accurately describes your current stance bearing in mind for years you have done nothing but mercilessly stag off the owners.

To use a chaddyism, "I wouldn't be surprised" if either a) the owners bail out in summer or B) Lambert leaves because there's no money for transfers available or even both.

Well I regard that as a compliment Rev! Of course I've mercilessly criticised Venkys for years.

Why would any Rovers fan do anything else? Its based on their performance surely? I didn't make it up!

How is that being contrarian? Help me out here Abbey!!

It's a bit mis-leading saying the Venkys don't spend any money here. if you add the word 'wisely' it is a lot closer to the truth. Fact is they wax circa 15 to 20 million per year at the Rovers, with absolutely no return on investment. Say it fast and it doesn't sound so bad. Personally, I'd be gutted if I lost £20.00 on the high street. 20 million losses per year. Each and every year. Astounding.

Which begs the question how the sorry bunch of toe-rags we employ to run about can possibly cost so much, for so little return. Average nobodies pulling 10k plus per week. It's an absolute joke and casts the majority of Bowyer's signings and Bowyer himself, in a very poor light. Plus the executives who agreed and signed contracts.

The players have had their chance and failed the club, the man who signed them, the fans and the owners dismally. Other than Hanley, Duffy and Marshall from the old squad, plus a couple of youngsters, is there anyone left worth keeping? The sooner this squad is overhauled the better and I for one will not be in anyway sorry to see the rest of them leave.

Not really misleading as it's well known they are under pining the annual losses although how is another debate. Think we have to say though that however that is even if it's debt then it must be secured against their assets. But when it comes to transfers then no I don't think they've put much in just for that as any cash signings nearly always follow outgoings of some sort ever since they arrived. The total sales out and the total spent on transfers won't be that far apart under their tenure I don't think.

Now it's time to invest some proper money into the team and not just a quid here hoping to get two back there. We aren't being unreasonable asking this as the situation is on the verge of being desperate. They've assembled a squad quality wise that is only just good enough for this division and any more major cuts and it won't be.

Then they'll end up with a league 1 team with a championship wage bill and the probs start all over again. It'll cost then even more in the long run anyway if they stay. Whichever way it's dress up and whatever the state of the books now the fact is 20 mill plus of players have been sold in the past 6 months and to date nothing has actually been reinvested.

Archived