BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Umbro To Be Kit Manufacturers Next Season.

Damien

Spall the best shirt still got one somewhere

I've got a Spall one, was about 8 at the time. the ellgren top that replaced the Spall is still my favourite and the last embroided badge I think. Not seen mine for a few years, must be here somewhere. Think the perspex letters have long gone.

• Replies 437
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The thick striped black and red shirt from 93/94 was my favourite, the socks were amazing. Black with red trim and a white towelling foot, class.

Umbro have made some good shirts the last 18 months or so, a lot of heritage influenced designs. Hopefully we now get an expanded range of training/leisurewear as this years offering by Nike was dreadful. It annoys me we cant buy the same training kit the players warm up in, seems daft really.

Did it not only change originally because Nike bought Umbro? Umbro disappeared altogether in the UK IIRC and has slowly ebbed back in as a 'football only' brand?

Anyway, as someone else pointed out, hopefully it means we get some more unique designs especially for the away shirts which have just been stock sh*te!

The reason for change surely can't be a lack of sales given that over the last 2 seasons Rovers have sold out of several items of stock and have been unable to obtain more from Nike. Christmas 2014 there were numerous sizes of the home shirt unavailable to buy and Rovers said they weren't able to stock any more. So that agreement has actually hindered Rovers' commercial abilities.

The only reason we 'left' Umbro in the first place was because they were bought out by Nike and ceased to be a 'brand' in the UK. This saw shirts previously manufactured by Umbro, such as England, Rovers and Everton, switch to Nike. Then soon after it was bought out by some other American company who decided to restart the Umbro brand and they have since been rebuilding their presence in English football. Everton, Hull, Derby and West Ham are all manufactured by Umbro now.

I doubt it will make any serious difference as the material/cost will be very similar and the design will be fundamentally the same. I'm not overly keen on Hull/Derby's designs and quite liked this season's home shirt with the collar. Hopefully Umbro will have improved on the dreadful set of kits they produced in 2011-12. Something gone wrong when Rovers have an all white away shirt with blue shorts.

Hopefully they will provide a greater range of products for supporters to buy in the club shop as Nike have been extremely limited. Can't even buy a winter overcoat from the club shop.

The reason for change surely can't be a lack of sales given that over the last 2 seasons Rovers have sold out of several items of stock and have been unable to obtain more from Nike. Christmas 2014 there were numerous sizes of the home shirt unavailable to buy and Rovers said they weren't able to stock any more. So that agreement has actually hindered Rovers' commercial abilities.

The only reason we 'left' Umbro in the first place was because they were bought out by Nike and ceased to be a 'brand' in the UK. This saw shirts previously manufactured by Umbro, such as England, Rovers and Everton, switch to Nike. Then soon after it was bought out by some other American company who decided to restart the Umbro brand and they have since been rebuilding their presence in English football. Everton, Hull, Derby and West Ham are all manufactured by Umbro now.

I doubt it will make any serious difference as the material/cost will be very similar and the design will be fundamentally the same. I'm not overly keen on Hull/Derby's designs and quite liked this season's home shirt with the collar. Hopefully Umbro will have improved on the dreadful set of kits they produced in 2011-12. Something gone wrong when Rovers have an all white away shirt with blue shorts.

Hopefully they will provide a greater range of products for supporters to buy in the club shop as Nike have been extremely limited. Can't even buy a winter overcoat from the club shop.

Well at least Venkys haven't brought back Sports World (now renamed Sports Direct) to add to their countless mistakes.

Think we've had some of our best shirts ever in the last few years.

The princes trust one with the red trim was a thing of beauty.

Must say I liked the kit, but it's been completely tainted by the fact Kean managed us then and it was such a horrible time to support the club.

I recently bought the 94/95 and 95/96 away kits - one being red with black sleeves, the other red and black stripes. Both things of beauty.

In a perfect world, we'd have red and black stripes this time, or perhaps yellow as some people have asked for.

Surely Vinjay's fave: :P

blackburn-rovers-home-football-shirt-199

Why would I have a problem with that? Because its got red on it?

The worst for me is the one with the Princes Trust just because of that name. Haven't bought any shirts recently of course but would have refused to wear that because of my republican beliefs. I'm sure there's a few fans who are anti-gambling and won't buy shirts with Dafabet.

Liked the CIS ones most.

The worst for me is the one with the Princes Trust just because of that name. Haven't bought any shirts recently of course but would have refused to wear that because of my republican beliefs. I'm sure there's a few fans who are anti-gambling and won't buy shirts with Dafabet.

Liked the CIS ones most.

Crikey Vinjay I think it is a reference to the sky blue/City connection. You're not having a very good morning fella lol

Bo11ocks. This was some myth made up by those unhappy the colours were the wrong way round. If you looked at the generic Nike half shirt you'd have noticed the back was not halved but in fact plain. This is the biggest sports manufacturer in the world we are talking about here. Do you really think they wouldn't be able to make the kit near enough exactly how we want it (within reasonable limits of course)?

Well if the story about all blue kits is true, they can comb my knackers. Looking forward to having Umbro back next season.

Crikey Vinjay I think it is a reference to the sky blue/City connection. You're not having a very good morning fella lol

I knew where the David Fishwick stand was. Just pretended I didn't due to my well known disinterest towards Burnley (without annoying anyone by outright saying it lol :D) after you assumed I would know where it is! Next time "Longsiders" posts I'll probably ask him who he/her supports for the same reason lol.

City do have nice kits and I've always liked blue more than any other colour anyway.

I knew where the David Fishwick stand was. Just pretended I didn't due to my well known disinterest towards Burnley (without annoying anyone by outright saying it lol :D) after you assumed I would know where it is!

City do have nice kits and I've always liked blue more than any other colour anyway.

In my defence I don't think it is unreasonable to expect every single person who posts on this MB to know where the David Fishwick Stand is. Your reply of "I don't know where that is" seemed to me, and no doubt to anyone else reading it at the time, to be without irony. Fair enough if you're now saying you were joking but maybe put 'lol' or a funny face after it or summat ha ha.

Liked the CIS ones most.

Republican beliefs?? It's a bloody charity, surely that trumps anything. I don't want to get into name calling or anything but that is just pathetic.

The black and red stripes was a good one for away.

Can't change the Blue and White halves though, best on the planet

Black and red halves was the best ever. You could wear that any time.

Archived