BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Boro Match Thread

den

• Replies 491
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We have to go best 11. Not sure we can win this but still Boro are not on form. A win would give us a major boost before we head off to the land that time forgot.

Watt or Jackson in for Brown, with Brown starting Saturday and bagging a hat trick (arse, back of head, shinner).

I think we have enough players to rotate the squad and save some players for Saturday.

Henley to replace Marshall

Apkan to replace Evans

Jackson to replace Brown

Taylor to replace Bennett (is Taylor available again ?)

Possibly Watt to replace Graham.

Overall it shoudl enable us to maintain some energy about our performance - and save some players for Saturday.

I know you were a big fan of the tinkerman but the team will never settle down and gel properly with pointless rotations.

I don't see leaving the team as fresh as possible for Saturday as being pointless.

Evans and Marshall are both carrying knocks - so definitely makes sense to rest them. Jackson to replace Brown - after Saturday would anyone argue with that ?

Only Taylor for Bennett and Watt for Graham could be argued about. Taylor would help make the midfield a little stronger (defensively - if he can stay on) and Watt needs some game time.

With so many games PL has to use the squad - btw when you mention the tinkerman are you referring to PL or GB as both rotate the squad.

I know you were a big fan of the tinkerman but the team will never settle down and gel properly with pointless rotations.

At the same time if we play our best team every match on our current run of 11 matches in 32 days (few matches in but some tired looking players already), then we can expect to probably kill a couple of players in the process. Could be argued at the moment if we lose any of Marshall, Hanley, Lenihan or Gomez (myself I would add Graham, Evans, Bennett to that list but we could just do ok without them) then we may really be up poo creek without a paddle and relegation may start to become a realistic possibility.

I would rest Marshall, Lenihan and drop Brown..

Steele

Bennett Ward Hanley Duffy Spurr

Evans

watt Gomez Grimes

Graham

Surely, we have a better chance of beating M'boro at home rather than Burnley away.

Every point is vital so focus on the next match (M'boro) with your strongest team. It's not rocket science.

No preview up yet, so I thought I'd do another less than comprehensive piece.

I reckon this is going to be a tough one. Boro won't be caught out by us this time and I reckon the hard schedule will tell on rovers. Playing this high tempo game is bound to take its toll. Will Marshall be fit - bloomin' hope so. Will Brown start - if not who else have we got that can make an impact - Jackson seems to do more as a sub, while Watt has shown nothing much yet?

All We need to say about Boro is that they're a good side, are near the top and have signed Rhodes. Will our ex lead us a merry dance?

Don't do predictions.

Either of them is better than starting with Brown. On Saturday he broke up more moves than the MKD defence.

Tough game for us but not unwinnable IMO.

Saturday saw another poor performance from Spurr and Henley when he came on.

We need to change our LB and we need to do it sooner rather than later, (where was Spurr for MK's first goal - watch Hanley!).

So, yet again I will suggest Conway is given a chance to do a Marshall and make the position his.

He can play left side, is quicker, better footballer, and would probably benefit from the 'no pressure of beating a man' Marshall is enjoying.

Grimes deserves a start after the impact he had on Saturday.

If Marshall isn't fit - do not play Henley!

If Evans is fit I'd play him instead of Lenihan.

Steele

Marshall Duffy Hanley Conway

Akpan Lenihan

Bennet Gomez Grimes

Graham

I am optimistic about this one.

To me, M'boro are a boring and methodical side who very rarely put teams to the sword. For example, they haven't scored more than 3 goals in a league match this season which is very surprising for a team that's been around the top 3 all season. In a recent run of 6 games, they scored just 1 goal in each of 3 matches and failed to score in the other 3.

Grant will frighten Rhodes to death and put him in his pocket.

A surprising win to Rovers by 2 or 3 goals to 1.

Ha, oh mercer, you are a card!

Akpan?!?! I'd happily never see him wear the shirt again

I know he's had a couple of mares recently, but after our first half show on Saturday where we got mullered in midfield I think a change is required.

Akpan has had a few decent games this season.

If we are going to look like a side who are capable of mounting a cxhallenge next season we have got to start putting in some performances against the better sides and showing we can take points of them. It's been terrible for the last couple of seasons in that respect. I look at tomorrow and Saturday as a real chance to do something to get some positivity back as we only seem capable of beating the dross and struggling badly to do that.

Any talkj of resting players is crazy talk, they've hardly been overworked and have not been involved in many big pressure games so no excuses. In front of our own fans we should be being positive and taking the game to them. PL needs to get the team playing and this is the kind of game he needs to do that in.

• Backroom

If we are going to look like a side who are capable of mounting a cxhallenge next season we have got to start putting in some performances against the better sides and showing we can take points of them. It's been terrible for the last couple of seasons in that respect. I look at tomorrow and Saturday as a real chance to do something to get some positivity back as we only seem capable of beating the dross and struggling badly to do that.

Any talkj of resting players is crazy talk, they've hardly been overworked and have not been involved in many big pressure games so no excuses. In front of our own fans we should be being positive and taking the game to them. PL needs to get the team playing and this is the kind of game he needs to do that in.

Equally, the fans should be positive and give the players motivation to perform FOR US, imo. If we are to improve as a club, fans, players, and manager must pull in the same direction.

They get tens of thousands reasons to perform . The fans have had the positivity clucked out of them over the past five years . Only a winning run will bring back any sort of noise apart from Saturday when even I forget the lunes for a few hours

I can see PL possibly re-jigging for tomorrow night. I reckon he start Watt up top while resting Graham for Sat. Id expect Ward to come in at the back for Duffy as Ward caused boro problems from set pieces the last time.

PL will give Marshall every opportunity to prove his fitness so reckon he will his team selection for as long he can.

I see a can nil-nil tomorrow night. From reading Karanka I dont think he will start Rhodes as gives he a slight inkling that he is still getting up to speed with their training.

I hope Rhodes gets a great reception as he was great for us for along time but alas it was time to go.

Fingers toes etc crossed for three points COYBS

At the same time if we play our best team every match on our current run of 11 matches in 32 days (few matches in but some tired looking players already), then we can expect to probably kill a couple of players in the process. Could be argued at the moment if we lose any of Marshall, Hanley, Lenihan or Gomez (myself I would add Graham, Evans, Bennett to that list but we could just do ok without them) then we may really be up poo creek without a paddle and relegation may start to become a realistic possibility.

I would rest Marshall, Lenihan and drop Brown..

Steele

Bennett Ward Hanley Duffy Spurr

Evans

watt Gomez Grimes

Graham

Play the best settled side and try and get the points on board as a priority or swap about with an unsettled team and possibly struggle for points. Why take the chance IMO, try and get some points gathered by playing our best available side in the next 2 games against two top sides instead of rolling over. Give em a rest at Ipswich away and play a changed side.

Surely, we have a better chance of beating M'boro at home rather than Burnley away.Every point is vital so focus on the next match (M'boro) with your strongest team. It's not rocket science.

The Burnley derby will always be a special fixture, if not THE special fixture, but when we are threatened by relegation that sentiment has to take a back seat. Our prime need is 3 points, wherever, however.

If we win at home to Boro and lose at Burnley that's 3 points. If we weaken the side for Boro and lose that could be no points.

Our home form is picking up and we should try to continue with that.

Equally, the fans should be positive and give the players motivation to perform FOR US, imo. If we are to improve as a club, fans, players, and manager must pull in the same direction.

Agree totally. On Saturday, despite a much needed win, the atmosphere was never positive. It looked like Graham and Spurr were totally hacked off at the end of the match - probably due to the crowd reaction when Brown was subbed. Not much acknowledgment by other players either. I know players are massively well paid and fans have every right to voice their opinion but we have to generate a positive atmosphere or we will get nowhere.

Players come and go and probably don't feel the pain like we do let's do our bit and hope they can do theirs.

• Backroom

A point would mean a four game swing would be required for Rotherham to overtake us which seems unlikely.

It will be tough but if we perform we should be able to match them

Agree totally. On Saturday, despite a much needed win, the atmosphere was never positive. It looked like Graham and Spurr were totally hacked off at the end of the match - probably due to the crowd reaction when Brown was subbed. Not much acknowledgment by other players either. I know players are massively well paid and fans have every right to voice their opinion but we have to generate a positive atmosphere or we will get nowhere.

Players come and go and probably don't feel the pain like we do let's do our bit and hope they can do theirs.

I noticed this about the players leaving the pitch on Saturday as well, very unusual considering we won. Think there was perhaps only Duffy who even bothered to come over and clap the fans at the end of the match. Noticed Spurr couldn't wait to get down the tunnel! either he needed the loo or as you say was hacked off at the cheers of derision for his pal Brown.

I really hope Marshall is fit for this one. Henley looks totally out of sorts at the moment, had a torrid time in the cup game against West Ham. Got skimmed a couple of times when he came aginst MK Dons as well. If he starts at right-back you can guarantee Boro will look to target him.

I noticed this about the players leaving the pitch on Saturday as well, very unusual considering we won. Think there was perhaps only Duffy who even bothered to come over and clap the fans at the end of the match. Noticed Spurr couldn't wait to get down the tunnel! either he needed the loo or as you say was hacked off at the cheers of derision for his pal Brown.

I really hope Marshall is fit for this one. Henley looks totally out of sorts at the moment, had a torrid time in the cup game against West Ham. Got skimmed a couple of times when he came aginst MK Dons as well. If he starts at right-back you can guarantee Boro will look to target him.

If Marshall isn't fit or needs a rest it is worth noting that Bennett did a good job at right back for Norwich, prior to injury there was talk of him moving there on a permanent basis. When he signed I thought he might of been signed for that very role, was expecting him to be playing behind Marshall rather than the other way around lol We also have a few midfielders who can play in more attacking roles so may be worth a punt.

Archived