BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Your Final Straw?

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Whilst it is undoubtedly depressing and uncertain times I don't think there will ever be a final straw for me unless ticket prices rocket and price the working class out the game. The rovers are a drug. Few highs and many lows but an addiction I will never kick

I'd like to know their intentions, wouldn't we all? Probably will renew, it's a bonding thing with my lad, been doing it too long to let that bunch of shysters get in the way......need to keep the prices where they are as it endangers losing more regulars otherwise whilst we watch such average fayre.

The team is so poor it's unbelievable. If you tried to sell any of our owned players I doubt you'd scrape together a few million. I was thinking about this the other day. No one with any ambitions would buy any of them. Marshall, Hanley and Olsson are probably the only ones that hold any value whatsoever and its pennies really. Conway has some ability when given a run of games so perhaps a few pence there as well. The rest... well I'm really struggling. Lenihan and Lowe have some pedigree with u21 national teams but I don't rate either of them. So from that base what are we really expecting next year? I'm expecting nothing more than a relegation dogfight. You can't bring in 15 decent players... there just isn't the resource available. I'd be looking to give the u18 team a go as they are the only Rovers side I've seen for a while that actually fought to put in a performance and looked like they gave an sh...

The team is so poor it's unbelievable. If you tried to sell any of our owned players I doubt you'd scrape together a few million. I was thinking about this the other day. No one with any ambitions would buy any of them. Marshall, Hanley and Olsson are probably the only ones that hold any value whatsoever and its pennies really. Conway has some ability when given a run of games so perhaps a few pence there as well. The rest... well I'm really struggling. Lenihan and Lowe have some pedigree with u21 national teams but I don't rate either of them. So from that base what are we really expecting next year? I'm expecting nothing more than a relegation dogfight. You can't bring in 15 decent players... there just isn't the resource available. I'd be looking to give the u18 team a go as they are the only Rovers side I've seen for a while that actually fought to put in a performance and looked like they gave an sh...

I'd agree the squad isn't the best, but I think it's better than what we started the season with. I can remember Huddersfield away at the very start, and that was up there for utter dross. Bolton away was something special too. A lot of those players who started those games have now disappeared. I think if Lambert gets his way, next season could be interesting.

We've already cashed in on him......

Firstly - Olsson already gone.

The only players I think could raise in excess of £1m are Marshall, Duffy and Hanley. Lenihan may be one possibly in the future - but at the moment it would be promise somebody would be buying as he is a long way from a finished product (though his progress this year has been great). Keeping hold of those players is going to be more of an issue than how much money we can get for them.

Given the players at the end of their contracts this season - we will have room to bring in replacements. Of those - I would keep Killgallon, Spurr and Jackson - but really only as squad players.

If PL is given support by our owners - he can bring in a large number of decent players both as free transfers and loans. Supporting the wage bill is as important as any money for transfers.

Firstly - Olsson already gone.

The only players I think could raise in excess of £1m are Marshall, Duffy and Hanley. Lenihan may be one possibly in the future - but at the moment it would be promise somebody would be buying as he is a long way from a finished product (though his progress this year has been great). Keeping hold of those players is going to be more of an issue than how much money we can get for them.

Given the players at the end of their contracts this season - we will have room to bring in replacements. Of those - I would keep Killgallon, Spurr and Jackson - but really only as squad players.

If PL is given support by our owners - he can bring in a large number of decent players both as free transfers and loans. Supporting the wage bill is as important as any money for transfers.

This is one thing to cling to. Whilst giving Lambert money to spend is important, it is only half the equation. In some ways the wage structure is more important than the money stumped up by Venkys for fees.

If the wage structure allows it then a quality squad can be put together for little money, but obviously wages over 2-3 years will be costly. See Danny Graham - we can pick him up on a free in the summer, yet I anticipate his wages will be substantial by Championship standards.

Throughout Venkys tenure at the club the impression I've had is that its been easier to sanction contracts with decent wages than it has been to get them to sanction substantial transfer fees. The Rhodes signing has been the exception to the rule. Over the course of 5 years they've brought in a lot more in fees than they have paid out on players. Infact only Rhodes, Best, Marshall, Yakubu, Dann and Rochina spring to mind as 'big money' cash transfers. The policy, especially in recent times, has been concentrating on players in the sub-£1 million bracket.

They could theoretically hand Lambert £10 million, but if there is a strict £10,000 wage cap in place then it probably won't be much use as we will lose out to rivals and have to concentrate on spending money on lower league players.

Likewise they could give him £3 million but say he has scope to pay hefty wages and he would be able to snap up quality players who are out of contract or on loan from Premier League clubs.

Looking at their performance in the past I don't think sanctioning contracts/wage rises has ever been a big issue for them, but getting them to hand over a cash pot for transfers has.

My decision is 1 (one)

Just not letting the Venkys win in their scheme to completely meet the terms of their book:

"How NOT to run an English premier League team"

ALSO I would rather we played youngsters from the Reserves and Academy and brought back some of the Rovers mad players,managed by Gareth Ainsworth and Dunny.

WE WANT OUR ROVERS BACK!

My decision is 1 (one)

Just not letting the Venkys win in their scheme to completely meet the terms of their book:

"How NOT to run an English premier League team"

ALSO I would rather we played youngsters from the Reserves and Academy and brought back some of the Rovers mad players,managed by Gareth Ainsworth and Dunny.

WE WANT OUR ROVERS BACK!

:rolleyes:

That's the internet though everyone gets to voice an opinion.

Maybe they should make Abbey first team coach as well. Though I will say this for Abbey he would never take money from Venkys. Unlike Dunn who predictably went right to the golden tap (no not a pub though he's been in so many I wouldn't be surprised if he's been in one called the golden tap) after Oldham kicked him out.

Seriously if they make Dunn manager I will walk out again. That would be more of an embarrassment than relegation to League 2.

Maybe they should make Abbey first team coach as well. Though I will say this for Abbey he would never take money from Venkys. Unlike Dunn who predictably went right to the golden tap (no not a pub though he's been in so many I wouldn't be surprised if he's been in one called the golden tap) after Oldham kicked him out.

. Seriously if they make Dunn manager I will walk out again That would be more of an embarrassment than relegation to League 2.

I don't normally bother with your posts, but just for once:

Not sure why you're baiting Abbey, its 3 threads now, I hope he just ignores you because you're on a mission to get him banned I believe.

But on topic, we don't need fans that sod off to other clubs and then come back, its a bit embarrassing really don't you think?

As for Dunn, Blackburn Legend, something you'll never understand Vinjay because you're not a real Blackburn fan sadly.

Seriously if they make Dunn manager I will walk out again. That would be more of an embarrassment than relegation to League 2.

THOUGHT YOU WAS IGNORING ME ..THATS THREE TIMES IN FOUR HOURS.

I didn't even know Olsson had gone. That is terrible from me. Apologies. The only saving grace is that I knew he was one of the only decent players we had... along with Cairney, Gestede and Rhodes.

Shearer has been sold as well. :)

You missed the part 'managed by Gareth Ainsworth'. Ainsworth has proven himself to be a very competent manager in his running of Wycombe. He would be a fantastic addition to BRFC especially considering his love for the club. Dunny as a coach would be no bad thing, at least he bleeds blue. More than can be said for some we've had here in the past few years....

Walk if you must.

You missed the part 'managed by Gareth Ainsworth'. Ainsworth has proven himself to be a very competent manager in his running of Wycombe. He would be a fantastic addition to BRFC especially considering his love for the club. Dunny as a coach would be no bad thing, at least he bleeds blue. More than can be said for some we've had here in the past few years....

Walk if you must.

Ainsworth has never managed above League Two level and has never led a side to silverware or promotion. In my opinion that doesn't make him a suitable candidate to manage Blackburn Rovers. If an affinity or love for the club is the most important factor then it strikes me as letting heart come before head. I'd sooner we employed a nasty piece of work who has never set foot in Blackburn or Ewood but who knows what is needed to get results.

Ainsworth needs to do more to be a future Blackburn Rovers manager. We aren't a League One or Two club who can experiment on up and coming unproven managers, we need to get promoted quickly and need people who know how to do it at a club of this size. I'm sure he is a top bloke who likes/loves the club and would jump at the chance to come here, but he simply hasn't done the business in his short time as a manager to qualify him for the role. Getting Wycombe Wanderers into the League Two play offs doesn't do it for me.

Thankfully whoever was responsible for making the decision in November appears to have realised the chronic lack of proven experience across the club and addressed this with Lambert, Irvine and Kelly.

Dunny had a chance at management and for whatever reason it didn't work. If he wants to manage again he is likely going to need to drop down to League Two or even lower and build a club up.

Alan Irvine used to play for the club as well as coached and has been assistant manager. If the job comes up any time soon he'd be a far more sensible candidate than Ainsworth. He's already here and he's managed at this level and above.

Ainsworth has never managed above League Two level and has never led a side to silverware or promotion. In my opinion that doesn't make him a suitable candidate to manage Blackburn Rovers. If an affinity or love for the club is the most important factor then it strikes me as letting heart come before head. I'd sooner we employed a nasty piece of work who has never set foot in Blackburn or Ewood but who knows what is needed to get results.

Ainsworth needs to do more to be a future Blackburn Rovers manager. We aren't a League One or Two club who can experiment on up and coming unproven managers, we need to get promoted quickly and need people who know how to do it at a club of this size. I'm sure he is a top bloke who likes/loves the club and would jump at the chance to come here, but he simply hasn't done the business in his short time as a manager to qualify him for the role. Getting Wycombe Wanderers into the League Two play offs doesn't do it for me.

Thankfully whoever was responsible for making the decision in November appears to have realised the chronic lack of proven experience across the club and addressed this with Lambert, Irvine and Kelly.

Dunny had a chance at management and for whatever reason it didn't work. If he wants to manage again he is likely going to need to drop down to League Two or even lower and build a club up.

Alan Irvine used to play for the club as well as coached and has been assistant manager. If the job comes up any time soon he'd be a far more sensible candidate than Ainsworth. He's already here and he's managed at this level and above.

Woah, woah don't get me wrong I am not saying to sack PL and bring in Ainsworth. I was just saying why it wouldn't be a decision that should be met with the statement "I will walk" when decisions in the past have been a million times worse than this would be, for arguments sake.

I am a staunch Lambert supporter and have been since his arrival.

Me too, but if the worst case scenario does occur this summer and Lambert walks due to the situation at the club I don't think that should mean we avoid proven managers. We went down the inexperience route with Ince, Kean, Berg, Appleton and Bowyer and with the exception of Bowyer it was a disaster.

Just because Lambert might not be prepared to put up with these buffoons who own the club doesn't mean all proven managers will.

Suppose the worst happened, I would want someone else strong minded like Lambert to take up the reigns, like Neil Warnock, Billy Davies or Nigel Clough, who won't be afraid to speak their minds and kick backsides, rather than jumping into the unknown with an up and coming manager who might not be able to handle a club of this size with its unusual way of operating, and is more likely to keep their mouth shut if they aren't happy with things.

Me too, but if the worst case scenario does occur this summer and Lambert walks due to the situation at the club I don't think that should mean we avoid proven managers. We went down the inexperience route with Ince, Kean, Berg, Appleton and Bowyer and with the exception of Bowyer it was a disaster.

Just because Lambert might not be prepared to put up with these buffoons who own the club doesn't mean all proven managers will.

Suppose the worst happened, I would want someone else strong minded like Lambert to take up the reigns, like Neil Warnock, Billy Davies or Nigel Clough, who won't be afraid to speak their minds and kick backsides, rather than jumping into the unknown with an up and coming manager who might not be able to handle a club of this size with its unusual way of operating, and is more likely to keep their mouth shut if they aren't happy with things.

The only problem is that if Lambert walks due to his problems with the board what self respecting manager would take up the position? It was a surprise that we managed to attract Lambert, Irvine & Kelly after the clubs problems of the past 5 years. If Lambert does walk I suspect it would become increasingly difficult to recruit a manager that is proven and of the calibre you rightly believe we should be attracting.

It's a shame. I never imagined I would be saying that we will struggle to attract a credible manager.

• Backroom

People were saying a proven manager would never come here whilst Bowyer was in charge. In fact by the end that was the only excuse his remaining supporters were clinging to.

If the money's right, we'll be able to get in somebody decent. Cash is king and the incoming manager knows that even if he does fail he has a ready made excuse in Venky's.

People were saying a proven manager would never come here whilst Bowyer was in charge. In fact by the end that was the only excuse his remaining supporters were clinging to.

If the money's right, we'll be able to get in somebody decent. Cash is king and the incoming manager knows that even if he does fail he has a ready made excuse in Venky's.

With all due respect DE the first paragraph is absolute bunkum.

You look at what's happened previously to gauge how things will take shape in the future. For the most part it's been 100% accurate under Venkys, in Lamberts case the whole support were shocked.

So whilst I supported Bowyer, and realised he was never taking us up, I was happy for him to continue as I never thought we'd appoint anyone better.

So it's not as black and white as you make it sound.

Archived