BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Transfers Part 2

Tom

I think its a good sign that there is no money for transfers. There is no one of any value to sell and there is only so far you can cut costs at a club with a set up like Rovers. Tells me the end game may be coming.

The model of cutting costs and covering the loss with transfer fees will not work for much longer. I think the last attempt will be to fill the squad with youth team players in the hope there is 1 or 2 coming through which they can sell.

This is only a best guess as who knows with the venkys.

• Replies 13.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Someone said the plan this season was to get 5 or 6 through from the youth to fill out the squad. Everything that's happening backs that up with the reluctance to loan them out for experience which was the plan a year or two ago and also the bulking out of the squad by some young loans who were never going to do anything but who's wages are likely paid by the parent clubs.

Whilst to some this may seem like a bold new way to go 'give youth a chance' and all that as usual at Rovers it's being done the wrong way and it's borne out of desperation. It will guarantee relegation and see us struggling in league 1 for the future. It's being done quite simply to drive costs down and in the blind hope another lot will be ready to cash in in a few years to service the debts running the club.

Let's not forget who else benefits from this with maybe certain agents having or trying to get the youth on their books then % on full time contracts.

Idiotic corruptly owned club run by agents.

Is Balaji in sole control now?

It seems him an confused have majority shares now. Big sis and the firm have said no more and shrunk into the background. Despite all the owd hag stuff i think this is by far the worst way to go.

There was a reason that Rovers, even under Williams, struggled to 'wipe its own face'. That was with PL income too. That's because football clubs are not money-making businesses. Fundamentally they are about meeting a community need.

This becomes a dangerous cycle of survival on the pitch and a player sale conveyor belt off the pitch and it all has to work. Keep it up and it's self-funding - just. Get relegated and well...

Unless you have a fanbase the size of Newcastle or Sunderland then you are going to struggle. Take away additional 'investment' and sponsorship (and the artificial and anti-capitalist-in-a-capitalist-game farce that is FFP) and you are down to what you can flog to however many supporters you can keep onside*. This will mean that the FA, PL and Sky dream of all of the big clubs being in the top two divisions will be realised sooner rather than later. That means Manchester, Tyne-Tees and Merseyside plus London and South Coast clubs, with maybe the odd greater midlands club thrown in.

If the future does not include a 'Lancashire County' club then we are going to be working hard-not-smart as a fanbase to keep us yo-yo-ing between L1 and L2. Although by then it will be a five division English football system and a three tier, very poor, EFL.

I guess the hope then is that we are able to remain solvent and rally when the PL bubble bursts. Although with so many clubs that will go bankrupt when that happens the government will probably step in and keep all of the top teams at the top whilst they get through it.

*throw in stupid owners like Venkys who alienate the very principled supporter-base and you really are goosed.

Disclaimer: this post assumes normal football ownership rules apply and ignores anything more... deliberate.

Even Dyche wouldn't be able to get him to run any faster.

Would not be surprised in the slightest if Dyche got a tune out of him in the PL and he kept them up.

That really would be a(nother) kick in the teeth.

Danny Graham has 8 or 9 now. Wonder if anyone will be touting him for a sale in January? Might get as much as "undisclosed" for him.

Started to worry myself about Graham

Danny Graham has 8 or 9 now. Wonder if anyone will be touting him for a sale in January? Might get as much as "undisclosed" for him.

Started to worry myself about Graham

Burnley going to pay his 60k a week wages. I dont think so

He's on nowhere near £60k pw.

Rhodes is no fool and knows his chances in the top flight are limited. Think he'd jump at Burnley in a flash. He's already a wealthy young man. How many beds can you sleep in or tv's can you watch!?

Graham has to stay. Him and Gallagher are going to be our main strikers now

Would not surprise me to see Brighton move in for Gallagher. As for Graham, anyone at Ewood has a price and why would Graham want to stay with our shower? Think Lambert would get both Marshall and Graham for £1.5m in total.

Don't worry Stuart, it wouldn't happen.

Sooner or later he will have to drop his wage demands or rot out his career in Boro's reserves. I think he'll go on loan this window. Sounds like Huddersfield are missing a finisher.

Rhodes has surely made a few quid now so he's going to hit that point where he'll have to take a fair old pay cut to relaunch his career. He might not be a Prem player as such but he has more to offer than rotting in a Prem clubs shadow squad. He's no pace so he'll also have to up his work rate and start using his arse and elbows !

It's the old conundrum. Today Huddersfield had 11 workers out there and missed several chances. You bring in a " finisher " and all of a sudden you've got 10 workers and your finisher. Do you still make the same number of chances ? Do you make any chances ? If you do make a chance and your finisher misses it, then what.

From what I've seen of Burnley whoever plays up front with Vokes is expected to run the channels and generally put themselves about. Not really Rhodes game is it. From what I read their problem is making goal scoring chances not failing to take them.

Archived