BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] New Sporting Director Rumour

TBTF

• Replies 837
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Probably got the gig because he has made all sorts of promises about finding players for free or cheap.

It won't fix the fundamental problem which is there is no one to approve transfers. Unless - as Oscar suggests - a set budget to draw down on has been set. But why on earth would they do that? Why would they have any more confidence in this guy rather than Coyle? My guess is just he has made promises he can get costs down and as a result has been hired.

That seems to me the most likely explanation. I'm not a fan at all of the DOF scenario it seems to me to be an excuse for some business person who wouldn't know a decent player if they tripped over them to dictate recruitment to an experienced manager.

What we need is a competitive budget not a DOF. Not sure if this is a partial vote of no confidence in Coyle I actually think he's recruited reasonably well on a minimal budget but he just can't set us up to defend and a DOF won't change that.

I don't understand Venky's plan if rumours were correct and they wanted to leave Blackburn why hire a Sporting Director? I am not against this move as we do need to slowly move on players who aren't needed such as Guthrie, Feeney (Rather keep Bennett), Akpan (Great Role model for the club though with his charity work), Henley, Hendrie, Ward.

I would like to see Mahoney Wharton involved more in the second half of the season.

Sadly, it looks like Balaji is not going away anytime soon.

That's the only bit I'm interested in.

Surely this indicates that Venkys have no intention of selling the club; if they were intent on doing so, why spend money appointing more staff? Some folk whinge about not having a proper management structure at Ewood, then moan when there is something put in place that looks better than we have at the moment. Venkys don't respond to protests, but do the unpredictable. It's a total waste of time trying to figure out what their long term plan for the club is just as, it seems, is protesting and looking for hidden agendas. Save your energy for supporting the team on the pitch.

I just knew someone would come up with a post like this! "moan when they don't, moan when they do" style of thing! What is there to be happy about in this announcement?

As, you have said it indicates they are not selling, that's's enough to moan about in itself isn"t it?

Why does it"look better than we have at the moment"? Looks like a continuation of the same old crap to me.

Shout louder at the games if you wish as the best players continue to be sold around you, it won't make any difference.

someone will be writing soon "give the bloke a chance FFS" :blink::blink:

Theres a bit more meat on the bones from the linked in profile (I think) of Mr Senior in this thread from a Charlton site 6th post down http://forum.charltonlife.com/discussion/62979/signing-youth-players

Funnily enough there was a post on twitter just before from a Charlton fan bemoaning the amount of youth players they'd flogged in recent years :blink:

someone will be writing soon "give the bloke a chance FFS" :blink::blink:

Give the bloke a chance! Lol.

Must admit never having heard of the fella, when I heard Tom refer to him as Paul Senior I thought he meant "senior" as opposed to "junior" in best Royle Family fashion.

"Good point well made Paul senior"

Theres a bit more meat on the bones from the linked in profile (I think) of Mr Senior in this thread from a Charlton site 6th post down http://forum.charltonlife.com/discussion/62979/signing-youth-players

Interesting.

Moneyball. I've never heard of it, but this article might give us a good idea of why he's being brought in. Get ready for more selling of good players.........

http://inanutmeg.sportsblog.com/posts/13307984/does-moneyball-work-in-football-.html

Overall feeling of 'so what' about the appointment, until Venkys either do a 180, or far more realistically sell up, then it's just someone else to turn up at Ewood occasionally, and to pay off in a few months.

Interesting.

Moneyball. I've never heard of it, but this article might give us a good idea of why he's being brought in. Get ready for more selling of good players.........http://inanutmeg.sportsblog.com/posts/13307984/does-moneyball-work-in-football-.html

As far as I can see den it worked once for a baseball team (the film is well worth watching though) and has no real value in football or indeed any other sport. In fact there's no evidence as far as I can see that the Oaklands Raiders experiment wasn't a complete one off statistical anomaly.

As far as soccer is concerned you can look for "value" all day long but no amount of data and analysis can tell you if a player reacts well or crumples under pressure or whether they have the right attitude and hunger etc. Only the keen eye of an experienced manager watching a player in the flesh can tell you that.

I would not call it a statistical anomaly. By that definition our and Leicester's winning of the titles would also be considered statistical anomalies. Wenger has been doing that year in year out. I am told Big Sam was (is?) a supporter of statistics on players and makes considerable decisions if not all the decisions based on them. Having said that it obviously does not mean that one should not get in a competent manager. Player attributes are one thing and player management is another. Which is why one needs a manager in the first place. Man management is a very important part of a Head coach / magager's role.

As far as I can see den it worked once for a baseball team (the film is well worth watching though) and has no real value in football or indeed any other sport. In fact there's no evidence as far as I can see that the Oaklands Raiders experiment wasn't a complete one off statistical anomaly.

As far as soccer is concerned you can look for "value" all day long but no amount of data and analysis can tell you if a player reacts well or crumples under pressure or whether they have the right attitude and hunger etc. Only the keen eye of an experienced manager watching a player in the flesh can tell you that.

So the Food Chain now will go....Coyle to Senior...detour to Cheston....on to Pasha(after trying to locate him)...then to India via Pune Secretariat...maybe onto Rao dinner-table or to Balaji's Club....then Decision(or Flob around)

Lets try it and see if ONE decision will be made by end of January 'Window'.

It will go like this

Owen on the phone

Coyle: "Hello Mr Senior i want to sign these players"

Paul: 'Hi Owen, let me chat to Mike"

Paul: "Mike, Owen wants to sign these players"

Mike: " Hi Paul, let me chat to Suhail"

Mike: "Namaste Suhail, Paul says that Owen wants to sign these players, can we do it?"

Suhail: " Yo im on the mike with Mike Cheston! Ill chat to the owners and hear what they say"

Suhail: " Namaste Mr Balaji, Mike says that Paul says, that Owen says he wants to sign some players"

Balaji: " hahahahahaha, we are broke as @#/? Suhail, but tell them if they sell Marshall for a couple of mill then we can see."

Suail: " You such a joker Balaji, i love it"

So the Food Chain now will go....Coyle to Senior...detour to Cheston....on to Pasha(after trying to locate him)...then to India via Pune Secretariat...maybe onto Rao dinner-table or to Balaji's Club....then Decision(or Flob around)

Lets try it and see if ONE decision will be made by end of January 'Window'.

Selling will be on speed dial, buying will go to VM.

No, it isn't a one off Rev.

"Through effective use of a global network, underpinned by technology, data and evidence/ factual led processes has personally detected and successfully recruited to professional football over 100 players currently playing Premiership, Championship and other levels of league football in the UK and abroad. Enabling his clubs to progress the Moneyball concept long before recent popularity amongst UK clubs."

Basically we've recruited a man who believes in and pushes the moneyball concept. Apparently that's a system where an "undervalued" player is judged on statistical analysis, rather than by actually having a manager/scouts watching performances. obviously "undervalued" means cheap. The idea is to look at players statistically and hope to add value to them, in order to sell on. Sits in nicely with Venkys don't you think? For me, it's a system for the people who wouldn't recognise a player if they did see one. Of course the alternative is to employ a manager who has his own style of play, who knows a player when he sees one and is backed by a CEO capable of bringing in the best players the club can afford.

So on top of having a football director, (apparently run out of Sheffield Wed pretty damn quick), looking for "undervalued" players, we have one married to an agent who's main priority is to find work for her client. Isn't that what an agent does? How does this sit in?

And this backing up a manager who many doubt is good enough in the first place.

Progress? Moving in the right direction?

Archived