BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Burton away - Friday 24 Feb - 6 pointer

5 hours ago, Parsonblue said:

Totally agree.  Can't believe folk are already having a go at a manager who has been here a couple of days and taken one training session.  You really couldn't make it up!

Some people like a moaned and cant start to have go at Mowbray

How can you judge a manager and the way the team was set up and played after one game, particularly as you didn't watch the game? 

You cant

5 hours ago, arbitro said:

I saw my first Rovers game of the season last night having been boycotting. In the first half I thought we passed the ball extremely well, in fact as good as I have seen in past seasons. There was intensity and pace to this passing. Burton really struggled to cope with this but the downside to this was that we didn't really create any clear cut chances. Clough is a decent manager and changed his teams shape at half time which allowed them to press us and deny us as much time in possession.

Overall I thought it was a fair result and the first half performance augers well for the remainder of the season. It's early days and I'm sure Mowbray will put his stamp on the way we play given time. One area to improve on was the crossing from wide areas, particularly Conway and Feeney.

We saw Dean Kiely before the game and wondered (with him having a connection to Mowbray) if he will be the new goalkeeper coach.

Thanks for sharing that Arbitro that Kiely was there. would be decent addition to staff

4 hours ago, colt seavers said:

Great trip last night and a very enjoyable game of football. Glen's summation is spot on. Having read back through the thread, there were some mind boggling posts! I am Jason Lowe's harshest critic but no way on God's green earth is the manager going to effectively sack his captain and drop him after one session. What an astonishing thing to suggest!

I have previously posted that Dunn admires Lowe in midfield which disappoints me greatly but is a fact nevertheless. Lowe's performance last night was exactly the same as his other 100 odd midfield matches, which is to say wasteful in possession, no leadership quality, lots of energy, negative passing etc. I think he will remain in the side for now thanks to a combination of Dunn 's influence and the fact that Mowbray's focus will not be immediately in this area.

Speaking of Mowbray, he had a far greater reassuring presence on the touchline than anyone since Allardyce, including (in my opinion) the head scratchingly over rated Lambert who is performing hilariously at Wolves. A huge amount of defensive drilling was done with the defenders before the match by David Lowe and that is rightly where the focus should be. I am puzzled as to how Wes Brown can't get a look in. How bad can he be? Mulgrew is a sensation, captain in all but name and is wasted at the back. Of the back five, Steele and Williams will fail any honest appraisal by Mowbray and he will want to improve in those areas. He dragged the raw but willing Lenihan over to the touchline a couple of times in the second half for instruction which gave me confidence. Our first half play was a joy but lacked penalty area penetration. Interesting subs of both strikers, I would have preferred to see Stokes for Graham as I would personally start him for the next two or three in place of the Pillsbury dough boy formerly known as Danny.

Of the rest, Mahoney is going to be a big star but looks a little frail for now and maybe not yet a ninety minute man. Nyambe had a great first half with surging runs but seemed to lose confidence later. He is another with the kind of potential I would expect to flourish under Mowbray. Guthrie is classy and needs game time for fitness, Feeney is improving but will only ever be Feeney, Conway is fading fast and Gallagher was off the pace. Emnes battled but was ineffective. I think Graham will be concerned that his place is under threat. Whilst technically much better than say Rhodes, whilst in this shape and with a lazy attitude he (like Rhodes) has become all about goals and nothing else. We have so much possession but don't have a front man making bursting runs. A pacy striker, good at short diagonal runs to create space is needed -but Simon Garner is fifty six now!

All in all, I am very encouraged that, whatever happens, we have a man of integrity in charge for the first time in ages who will work hard and look to put the basics right. The squad is easily good enough for this level and just needs a bit of shape with some self belief tossed in for good measure.

One final thought: the vocal support was superb, but the "how $h!t must you be, we're winning away" when we scored, flies in the face of everything that vocal support should be. It must be demoralising for any human being to hear when they are battling (and winning) and it needs to stop. If that sounds terribly mard, consider that these players are the nineties generation of cossetted, pampered precious little mummies boys who won't be disrespected! I work with a few of those and they are a breed apart!

Anyway, I am massively encouraged by the sacking and hiring this week and like most on here, I have a renewed sense of cautious optimism, tempered of course by the accumulated slaps in the face of recent years.

Thanks for report Colt.

Do you feel that the first half display by the players is the way Mowbray wants us to play long term?

Could you hear Mowbray shouting orders out?

2 hours ago, AggyBlue said:

Great to hear the fans fully behind the team and manager last night, creating a positive atmosphere.

I thought Lowe had a good game, as did Guthrie, particularly in the first half.

Graham needs a rest.  Joao looks hopeless.

What a horrible read the message board was after getting home last night. The ignore function has vastly improved it this morning.

Just Lowe try to get forward more with Guthrie sitting in front back 4 and looking to be the midfield playmaker?

Do you not think Graham is playing an injury or lack of fitness and that's why his work rate and closing down has been reduce over the past 3 months?

• Replies 646
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 hours ago, Parsonblue said:

Totally agree.  Can't believe folk are already having a go at a manager who has been here a couple of days and taken one training session.  You really couldn't make it up!

Some people like a moaned and cant start to have go at Mowbray

11 hours ago, Parsonblue said:

How can you judge a manager and the way the team was set up and played after one game, particularly as you didn't watch the game? 

You cant

Shut the @#/? up Chaddy and start respecting other posters views

16 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I'm not sure Mulgrew will be moved into midfield. It doesn't look like he's got the legs for 90 minutes there.

If he can't finish the match you have to sub him but he is by far the best central midfielder we have. Personally I think he can do 90mins particularly if the new manager improves the fitness of the whole squad.

15 hours ago, Parsonblue said:

I thought it was a very encouraging performance tonight.  We looked much sharper in the first half and took the game to Burton who, in fairness, defended very well.  Their tall centre backs won everything in the air but some of our interplay and movement was very good.  Lowe had a very good game in midfield and got forward much more with Guthrie sitting in front of the back four and spreading the ball around with some pin-point passes.  Burton looked better after the break when they changed their system but we finished the stronger.  A draw, whilst not doing much for either side is something to build on and I came away much more optimistic about our future under Mowbray.  Good to see the fans giving one hundred per cent backing to the team and it made for a good atmosphere. 

That's one of our problems Parson. Everybody's centre backs win everything in the air but we have a winger in Feeney who's only move is the high cross, when he doesn't hit the first defender, and Conway isn't much better. It's entirely the wrong tactic. Our strikers need the ball to feet. That's who they are and we have to adapt to play that way.

6 hours ago, RoverCanada said:

At the risk of drawing some ire for defending many's favourite punching bag, may I humbly suggest Feeney has slowly become a pretty effective winger for us? He was quite good in the last few games I've seen and seems to be getting some occasional praise in games I haven't caught. He's no world-beater and probably will always have more pace than ball-sense, but at the very least the foursome of Conway, Feeney, Bennett, and Mahoney provides some needed competition on the wings for us (or you could turn that around and say we lack a standout winger haha...)

And, on a related note (topic- and unpopular opinions-wise), I have no problem with Mahoney only being used as an impact sub. He's had to be subbed every game he's started in his career as he seems to always tire by the 60th minute or so. Not an indictment of his future potential, he just needs to improve his fitness and that should come. For now, he provides a nice shot in the arm late in games.

Couldn't agree less. Devoid of talent and completely the wrong style for Rovers.

1 hour ago, Al said:

If he can't finish the match you have to sub him but he is by far the best central midfielder we have. Personally I think he can do 90mins particularly if the new manager improves the fitness of the whole squad.

I don't think Mulgrew's problem can be solved by more training. He's the sort of player that needs wrapping in cotton wool.

10 hours ago, Parsonblue said:

Parsons TM had two well known figures from the club to be his assistants, if that's the correct term, yet, chose to play the hapless Feeney who can only cross but the lads up front don't want frigging crosses. Ffs ! 

Then he plays the worst leader of a team that we've had at Rovers for many a year along with a kid at full back and a Portuguese donkey in what was a must win game. Lots of negatives to suggest he and his team might not have a scooby do what to do.

What do you think of David Lowes internal promotion parsons is it justified ?

1 hour ago, JAL said:

Parsons TM had two well known figures from the club to be his assistants, if that's the correct term, yet, chose to play the hapless Feeney who can only cross but the lads up front don't want frigging crosses. Ffs ! 

Then he plays the worst leader of a team that we've had at Rovers for many a year along with a kid at full back and a Portuguese donkey in what was a must win game. Lots of negatives to suggest he and his team might not have a scooby do what to do.

Lots of rope from the new manager for the current incumbents of the shirts to hang themselves. Those that did themselves proud keep the shirts, those that didn't, don't. Hopefully a few changes next game to try different options.

1 hour ago, JAL said:

Don't have a problem with it JAL.  If he keeps picking Ryan, I'm more than happy to see one of our own develop.

Just now, Parsonblue said:

Don't have a problem with it JAL.  If he keeps picking Ryan, I'm more than happy to see one of our own develop.

Do the stats back up what you saw in the flesh PB, cracking the passing and movement should be the pre cursor for better things to come, hopefully

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

Nyambe had a good game. 

Watched the full game on Rovers player this afternoon..

According to the stats we had 71.9 % of possesion. We had 10 shots. 2 on target, 3 off target and 5 blocked shots. 

I was asking PB who was there

;)

3 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

According to the stats we had 71.9 % of possesion. We had 10 shots. 2 on target, 3 off target and 5 blocked shots. 

So that's over two thirds possession for over an hour and a half's football from our so called professional footballers and yet only TWO.... yep ...just TWO solitary shots on target.

Have a word with yourself chaddy ? 

1 hour ago, Parsonblue said:

What positives does David Lowe bring to the first team parsons if you're saying that you don't gave a problem with it.

Conor Mahoney is one of our own NOT Ryan Nyambe parsons !

Archived