BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Burton away - Friday 24 Feb - 6 pointer

• Backroom

Positioning, forcing your winger in/outside (depending on the winger), tackling, willingness to support the attack.

He's reasonable at all those, and his pace helps the latter massively.

• Replies 646
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, JAL said:

What positives does David Lowe bring to the first team parsons if you're saying that you don't gave a problem with it.

Conor Mahoney is one of our own NOT Ryan Nyambe parsons !

Having watched Ryan come through the Academy I see him as one of our own. 

7 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Thanks for report Colt.

Do you feel that the first half display by the players is the way Mowbray wants us to play long term?

Could you hear Mowbray shouting orders out?

Sorry Chaddy, just finished work. To answer the first point;  I hope so! I think you said you have watched the game now? I called it the best half we have played this season, I don't know if the replay bears that out? I am sure that Mowbray will have been very pleased by what he saw. We pressed high and displayed a great desire in regaining possession. 

Yes, Mowbray was vocal and animated. He did less of the PE teacher method of encouragement so favoured by Coyle and to a lesser extent Bowyer, preferring to offer what seemed to be genuine instruction. Leninism and Nyambe were spoken to frequently in the second half. From what I saw, he stood in the technical area for most and maybe all of the game. I have warmed tremendously to him and hope (as we all surely do) that he brings some good luck for a change!

1 hour ago, yoda said:

I was asking PB who was there

;)

I wasnt reply to you but I see you are still stalking me. SSDD

47 minutes ago, JAL said:

So that's over two thirds possession for over an hour and a half's football from our so called professional footballers and yet only TWO.... yep ...just TWO solitary shots on target.

Have a word with yourself chaddy ? 

Jal, I suggest you get back to your agency work and keep trying to get Nyambe to your agency mate. 

Just now, Colt Seavers said:

Sorry Chaddy, just finished work. To answer the first point;  I hope so! I think you said you have watched the game now? I called it the best half we have played this season, I don't know if the replay bears that out? I am sure that Mowbray will have been very pleased by what he saw. We pressed high and displayed a great desire in regaining possession. 

Yes, Mowbray was vocal and animated. He did less of the PE teacher method of encouragement so favoured by Coyle and to a lesser extent Bowyer, preferring to offer what seemed to be genuine instruction. Leninism and Nyambe were spoken to frequently in the second half. From what I saw, he stood in the technical area for most and maybe all of the game. I have warmed tremendously to him and hope (as we all surely do) that he brings some good luck for a change!

Enjoyed the 1st half. 

Pleased to see a manager passing on instructions to the players. 

Just now, JAL said:

Is Ryan Merseysides equivalent of SEM parsons.

Surely we should judge him on performances not who his agents is

On 2/25/2017 at 9:14 AM, RV Blue said:

The thing with Steele is that it's not just his shot stopping that's poor, everything from his distribution to the command of his area is atrocious. The worst no. 1 I've ever seen and possibly the worst we've ever had, how can Raya be worse?

As Mowbray brought Steele into the Boro team and stuck with him ever-present for 3 seasons I suspect he's untouchable now.  Probably keep him even after relegation.

On 2/25/2017 at 1:06 AM, DE. said:

Caused a bit of a nightmare flashback to the summer for me!

Stats this evening were definitely improved, but ultimately the same old story. Low(e) on fitness, always ready to concede a goal, can't put teams to the sword during our dominant spells. But then, what else could we expect? It's the same players who have had Coyle's ridiculous ideology of donuts and five-a-side embedded into their brains for the last eight months or so. I fear we've made this change far, far too late. Can only hope Mowbray can work miracles and the players can motivate themselves to perform above their natural level. Some of them have a bit of talent. 

Burton match followed familiar pattern and "looking comfortable" in the first half but without actually carving out many scoring chances. When the opponents inevitably step up the pace after ht this team simply cannot cope and the midfield becomes invisible. Happened at Ipswich, Rotherham, Sheff Wed and with this personnel there will be no change. Half the team clearly have fitness issues attributable to an inadequate training regime, age, chronic injuries that need to be nursed or just too many pies. 

1 hour ago, alcd said:

Burton match followed familiar pattern and "looking comfortable" in the first half but without actually carving out many scoring chances. When the opponents inevitably step up the pace after ht this team simply cannot cope and the midfield becomes invisible. Happened at Ipswich, Rotherham, Sheff Wed and with this personnel there will be no change. Half the team clearly have fitness issues attributable to an inadequate training regime, age, chronic injuries that need to be nursed or just too many pies. 

Pies, you bet!

• Paul unpinned this topic

The Most important fact to take away from the Burton game is that we have games in hand over people who are in and around us. We have 2 games in hand over Wigan and Burton and 1 game in hand over Bristol. Other than the Wigan that is a must win game, the most important is winning and putting points on the board with a game in hands with a minimum 4 points on board. Get that we will be in a good position to survive this year. I truly believe we can survive but it will be by the absolute skin of our teeth. That and I do believe Mowbray approach has been correct on what we have been lacking. We have not focused enough on position of the players, their fitness, and movement off the ball. With a bit of luck we will get a good result vs Derby. 

I have just watched the Burton game on the Player.

We played pretty well in spells, nice to see us pressing high up the pitch, especially first half. Also enjoyed some possession which is a rare thing to see.

Couple of points:

Craig Conway can't stop hitting the first defender, whether shooting or crossing. Bench him!

Graham offers us nothing in this league, Man Utd game a side he has been poor for months. Bench him!

Gallagher was poor when he came on, but Joao had some nice touches and looks the fastest out of the four strikers.

Lowe gets a lot of crap but he was pretty solid in this game, without offering any form of attacking help.

Out defense was pretty sound most of the night apart from a 15 min spell in the second half. Plenty to build on. I would have Mahoney in for Conway and Gallagher in for Graham on Tuesday.

Just now, Stuart said:

A lower wage bill.

Is it possible that he is a good choice as assistant manager until the end of the season? I would prefer some guys "from the inside" such as himself and Dunn,to play some part. 

This is an example of the gospel truth. Maybe Lowe got a huge pay rise to become assistant ;)

Just now, Fraserkirky said:

I have just watched the Burton game on the Player.

We played pretty well in spells, nice to see us pressing high up the pitch, especially first half. Also enjoyed some possession which is a rare thing to see.

Couple of points:

Craig Conway can't stop hitting the first defender, whether shooting or crossing. Bench him!

Graham offers us nothing in this league, Man Utd game a side he has been poor for months. Bench him!

Gallagher was poor when he came on, but Joao had some nice touches and looks the fastest out of the four strikers.

Lowe gets a lot of crap but he was pretty solid in this game, without offering any form of attacking help.

Out defense was pretty sound most of the night apart from a 15 min spell in the second half. Plenty to build on. I would have Mahoney in for Conway and Gallagher in for Graham on Tuesday.

My God someone who watched the game actually says that Joao is decent. Contrary to everybody else who has slated him due to his imagined link with senior. I would imagine a lot of those have actually never seen him play. Interesting eh

Good post anyway. I watched the game and I would have to agree with your points. On Gallagher though,let's not forget he has just suffered an injury that required 12 stitches. I can imagine he may be a bit sheepish for a game or two. 

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

Is it possible that he is a good choice as assistant manager until the end of the season? I would prefer some guys "from the inside" such as himself and Dunn,to play some part. 

This is an example of the gospel truth. Maybe Lowe got a huge pay rise to become assistant ;)

That is not the gospel truth but a throwaway truism.

Who has replaced Lowe's previous role? Lowe would have to have doubled his wage to not have reduced the wage bill.

Stand down folks, there'll be no debunking any time soon if this is the kind of gospel truth that is untrue.

5 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

My God someone who watched the game actually says that Joao is decent. Contrary to everybody else who has slated him due to his imagined link with senior. I would imagine a lot of those have actually never seen him play. Interesting eh

I was there on Friday, he really wasn't very good IMO.

imaginary link with senior? Weren't they at Sheffield Wednesday at the same time? Couldn't that link them? 

• Backroom
2 hours ago, bob fleming said:

I was there on Friday, he really wasn't very good IMO.

imaginary link with senior? Weren't they at Sheffield Wednesday at the same time? Couldn't that link them? 

Senior brought Joao to Sheffield Wednesday so it's not so much imaginary as real. Minor detail though.

Just now, DE. said:

Senior brought Joao to Sheffield Wednesday so it's not so much imaginary as real. Minor detail though.

What a pity the government couldn't block his visa and spare the British public of this fake striker.

Maybe the government should clamp down on the traffickers of these lower grade overseas footballers for the good of British football.

Just now, JAL said:

What a pity the government couldn't block his visa and spare the British public of this fake striker.

Maybe the government should clamp down on the traffickers of these lower grade overseas footballers for the good of British football.

Come on, lads played about half a game in a month, plus what has his ethnicity have to do with it? Would you prefer us to resign Chris Brown and Luke Varney because they have the right passport?

I think Gallagher is likely to be second choice, and I doubt he's pulling much of a wage on loan so what's the big fuss? 

3 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Good post anyway. I watched the game and I would have to agree with your points. On Gallagher though,let's not forget he has just suffered an injury that required 12 stitches. I can imagine he may be a bit sheepish for a game or two. 

Wasn't implying that Joao was up to much himself but I did notice his pace. I also wonder who these other match winners are that Mowbray was describing whilst talking about Emnes last week.

7 hours ago, Fraserkirky said:

Wasn't implying that Joao was up to much himself but I did notice his pace. I also wonder who these other match winners are that Mowbray was describing whilst talking about Emnes last week.

You said he had some nice touches and looks the fastest of our strikers. That sounds pretty positive to me :)

Too early for any of us to call on Joao just yet. From the odd snatched conversation I gather some at Wednesday thought he had decent potential. 

He is clearly extremely raw but hopefully has something about him. Having suffered thirty odd torturous Chris Brown performances, I can certainly do better than write him off after a few minutes.

I watched the game on player.

My two penneth

First half, whilst lacking penetration, was very good.  We passed to our player and often quite quickly.  Guthrie was very good, best passer in the team and with Mulgrew at the back, we were very comfortable in possession.  We had a plan, which I'm not used to and and for the players it is quite a novelty. 

We tired second half but still did okay.  Taking Emnes off might have been a mistake as I didn't think Joao did much, and Gallagher looked a little off the pace.  Mahoney did well again when he came on, especially up until he looked like he took a little knock when he got round the back and had a shot (should have passed) should start ahead of the other two wingers.

Plenty of positives, let's hope the players feel that way and can take some confidence into tomorrow night.

Archived