SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Burton away - Friday 24 Feb - 6 pointer

• Replies 646
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, JAL said:

Another poor Rovers result !

Shocking that the head coach played Nyambe and the Potuguese stiff Joao !

Dear British government can we send these shyte foreign footballers back to where they came from please !

I thought it was a very encouraging performance tonight.  We looked much sharper in the first half and took the game to Burton who, in fairness, defended very well.  Their tall centre backs won everything in the air but some of our interplay and movement was very good.  Lowe had a very good game in midfield and got forward much more with Guthrie sitting in front of the back four and spreading the ball around with some pin-point passes.  Burton looked better after the break when they changed their system but we finished the stronger.  A draw, whilst not doing much for either side is something to build on and I came away much more optimistic about our future under Mowbray.  Good to see the fans giving one hundred per cent backing to the team and it made for a good atmosphere. 

We bossed the possession and moved the ball from left to right and quickly, but didn't test their keeper enough. Burton were very poor and caused very little problems, but a long range effort followed by another and we could have been heading back up the m6 tonight with nothing .

I thought the double change of strikers cost us tonight , we were not the same team when Emnes went off . Gallagher didn't look fit, whilst the other striker Jao was why Paul Senior is a useless sod.

Steele - 4  still the teams weak link and offers no confidence , I was sat 3 seats from Bennett and won't repeat what he thought of Steele's performance .

Nyambe - 7 had his best game to date and bombed forward at every opportunity and really ran himself into the ground.

Mulgrew - 8 his distribution was a joy to watch, although we scored from one of his corners, I'm not keen on the idea of one of our Centre backs taking corners given the amount of times we have been caught on the break this season.

Lenihan - 7 been excellent this season for a player playing out of position, at some point he will move into centre midfield , got stuck in and wears his heart on his sleeve .

Williams - 5 sees a lot of the ball , but don't do much with it, didn't think he offered an awful lot tonight as was one of the weak links.

Conway - 6 he was all over the park tonight which suited him being able to roam, always gives his whole, but would of liked to see him get more crosses in given the good positions he took up.

Feeney - 6 again willing runner and im really beginning to warm to him, he is more direct now and is by far our most improved player.

Guthrie - 7 another masterclass of passing and is making that position his own.

Lowe - 5 , terrible , passing poor, positional sense poor and offers nothing in terms of creativity , at what point does he get left out?

Emnes - 8 a real baller and should not of been taken off, it turned the game on its head. His creativity is that thing we often lack and looked dangerous throughout .

Graham - 5 can't manage two games in less than week, was quiet and rightfully taken off.

Mahoney - 6 got a real future this kid and will be pushing for a start I suspect come next week. He runs at defenders and created lots of momentum when he came on.

Gallagher - 5 didn't look fit and still can't seem to win headed flick ons for a guy so tall.. However he will be key to us staying up if we can keep him fit and I think plays better with Emnes .

Jao - 3 shocking , Senior should hang is head in shame, he would be better suited to the Jamaican Bob sleigh team, as he is nowhere near as good as any of the other forwards we have at the club and hopefully we won't see him again any time soon.

2 hours ago, broadsword said:

SIGN PLAYERS????????!!!!! 

BLOODY HELL MAN. We've flogged anyone with talent. They've all long gone. They've  been replaced with sick notes, dossers and the hopelessly crap. 

Do you seriously believe he's going to be allowed to restructure this summer? There's no evidence at  all for this belief 

There is. Balaji said so

4 hours ago, glen9mullan said:

We bossed the possession and moved the ball from left to right and quickly, but didn't test their keeper enough. Burton were very poor and caused very little problems, but a long range effort followed by another and we could have been heading back up the m6 tonight with nothing .

I thought the double change of strikers cost us tonight , we were not the same team when Emnes went off . Gallagher didn't look fit, whilst the other striker Jao was why Paul Senior is a useless sod.

Steele - 4  still the teams weak link and offers no confidence , I was sat 3 seats from Bennett and won't repeat what he thought of Steele's performance .

Nyambe - 7 had his best game to date and bombed forward at every opportunity and really ran himself into the ground.

Mulgrew - 8 his distribution was a joy to watch, although we scored from one of his corners, I'm not keen on the idea of one of our Centre backs taking corners given the amount of times we have been caught on the break this season.

Lenihan - 7 been excellent this season for a player playing out of position, at some point he will move into centre midfield , got stuck in and wears his heart on his sleeve .

Williams - 5 sees a lot of the ball , but don't do much with it, didn't think he offered an awful lot tonight as was one of the weak links.

Conway - 6 he was all over the park tonight which suited him being able to roam, always gives his whole, but would of liked to see him get more crosses in given the good positions he took up.

Feeney - 6 again willing runner and im really beginning to warm to him, he is more direct now and is by far our most improved player.

Lowe - 5 , terrible , passing poor, positional sense poor and offers nothing in terms of creativity , at what point does he get left out?

Emnes - 8 a real baller and should not of been taken off, it turned the game on its head. His creativity is that thing we often lack and looked dangerous throughout .

Graham - 5 can't manage two games in less than week, was quiet and rightfully taken off.

Mahoney - 6 got a real future this kid and will be pushing for a start I suspect come next week. He runs at defenders and created lots of momentum when he came on.

Gallagher - 5 didn't look fit and still can't seem to win headed flick ons for a guy so tall.. However he will be key to us staying up if we can keep him fit and I think plays better with Emnes .

Jao - 3 shocking , Senior should hang is head in shame, he would be better suited to the Jamaican Bob sleigh team, as he is nowhere near as good as any of the other forwards we have at the club and hopefully we won't see him again any time soon.

Did Bennett talk negative about Steeles performance? Seems odd and bad for team morale.

A loss tonight would have been pretty disastrous.

Mowbray had just 48 hours game prep..

A point is not the end of the world.

Three winnable home games coming up (all teams outside the top 10 in a bang average league).

We are just TWO points from fourth from bottom and I think we will get out of danger with something to spare.  Those painting a doom and gloom picture need to either consult Samaritans or give their head a wobble.

6 hours ago, glen9mullan said:

Interesting that your view of Lowe contradicts Parson's. Based on what I've seen myself I'd agree with you, Glen, and tend to ignore what seems to be a bias towards, or even allowances for, a youth system product.

For any good that he does, he slows down play and stops us being an attacking force. When you don't have a great defence that will lead to the opposition getting opportunities. When he doesn't play we are a noticeably better team and get more points.

Jaio meanwhile just smacks of another free loan. Decent players cost actual money.

I have come in for a lot of stick (from the usual suspects it has to be said) but as far as last night's game:

- It was a must-win when Coyle was here on Monday.

- It was a must-win when we had no manager on Tuesday.

- It was a must-win when Mowbray took the job on, knowing he has to work with only the players here and must hit the ground running.

Of those three options the new manager bounce should have been our best chance to get the necessary win. Yet, for all our possession and shots, we could have lost that 2-1 if that ball hitting both posts had trickled over.

Very disappointed as this was one of three games where we needed to target all three points. We now have to get those two points back from much better teams than Burton. It's no use people defending this result and then at a later date saying, e.g. "Well, we were never going to beat Villa". We are playing catch up and running out of games to target.

-3 so far for Mowbray. He's playing catch up as well.

8 minutes ago, Mercerman said:

Three winnable home games coming up (all teams outside the top 10 in a bang average league).

We are just TWO points from fourth from bottom and I think we will get out of danger with something to spare.  Those painting a doom and gloom picture need to either consult Samaritans or give their head a wobble.

Totally agree.  Can't believe folk are already having a go at a manager who has been here a couple of days and taken one training session.  You really couldn't make it up!

Just now, Parsonblue said:

Totally agree.  Can't believe folk are already having a go at a manager who has been here a couple of days and taken one training session.  You really couldn't make it up!

How many games does he get a free pass at Parson? Derby at home will be "less than a week". Is that one we shouldn't bother about either?

Perhaps the following Saturday and then Tuesday-week are all too soon. We don't have the games left to be sentimental and give him time to bed his ideas in. We need a short term bounce and points on the board quickly - including winning 6-pointers.

Sounds like some people have given up but perhaps now have more faith in promotion from League One under Mowbray. Maybe we look a bit more like a 'normal club' again? Survival is everything this season.

13 minutes ago, Mercerman said:

Let me guess, you'll predict we'll win all three of those matches by 3/4 goals to 1?

Just now, Stuart said:

How many games does he get a free pass at Parson? Derby at home will be "less than a week". Is that one we shouldn't bother about either?

Perhaps the following Saturday and then Tuesday-week are all too soon. We don't have the games left to be sentimental and give him time to bed his ideas in. We need a short term bounce and points on the board quickly - including winning 6-pointers.

Sounds like some people have given up but perhaps now have more faith in promotion from League One under Mowbray. Maybe we look a bit more like a 'normal club' again? Survival is everything this season.

How can you judge a manager and the way the team was set up and played after one game, particularly as you didn't watch the game? 

6 hours ago, glen9mullan said:

The thing with Steele is that it's not just his shot stopping that's poor, everything from his distribution to the command of his area is atrocious. The worst no. 1 I've ever seen and possibly the worst we've ever had, how can Raya be worse?

24 minutes ago, Mercerman said:

Give yours a wobble. 

We've been bottom three more or less all season, ship goals for fun, and may be the least fit side in the division. 

Do you believe what you write, or do you just need the attention. Unbelievable 

I saw my first Rovers game of the season last night having been boycotting. In the first half I thought we passed the ball extremely well, in fact as good as I have seen in past seasons. There was intensity and pace to this passing. Burton really struggled to cope with this but the downside to this was that we didn't really create any clear cut chances. Clough is a decent manager and changed his teams shape at half time which allowed them to press us and deny us as much time in possession.

Overall I thought it was a fair result and the first half performance augers well for the remainder of the season. It's early days and I'm sure Mowbray will put his stamp on the way we play given time. One area to improve on was the crossing from wide areas, particularly Conway and Feeney.

We saw Dean Kiely before the game and wondered (with him having a connection to Mowbray) if he will be the new goalkeeper coach.

Just now, RV Blue said:

The thing with Steele is that it's not just his shot stopping that's poor, everything from his distribution to the command of his area is atrocious. The worst no. 1 I've ever seen and possibly the worst we've ever had, how can Raya be worse?

Just seen the match highlights. With the Burton shot that hit both posts I am grateful he didn't just punch or badly deflect the ball like usual.

Also hes bad on crosses, long shots and shots low to his left or right. A shot stopper if the ball is close to an arm or leg. I assume he became a goalkeeper due to being useless at football.

At many clubs the new manager would have watched from the stands whilst the caretaker managers team took the pitch so it does seem a bit harsh to suggest Mowbray could have done much better. Yes, we need wins but this lot have been cruising in training if accounts are to be believed, and not working as a solid unit in many games this season. That does take more than 48 hours to correct even with new manager bounce

Just now, Parsonblue said:

How can you judge a manager and the way the team was set up and played after one game, particularly as you didn't watch the game? 

Ducked as always. Answer the question.

But, to answer yours: at this stage of the season, and in our situation, I can judge him by not getting 3 vital points.

Cannot believe its the managers fault that  the players are unfit,thats down to the previous regime.We all wanted a win last night and nobody wanted to lose,i believe Burton are on a roll,brought in useful players in the window,whereas we brought in somebodies love child from Sheff wed.

Mowbray has said more in his few days here that make sense than Coyle ever said.Some folk are never happy but this is Blackburn Rovers 2017 not the 95 version.Its all good and well moaning about relagation,but TM has been here 5 mins ,not 5 months give the bloke a chance.

ps TM get a new keeper,last nights was not a bad effort but i expect rovers keepers to save them.

Archived