BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Mowbray stays as manager

44 minutes ago, Biz said:

I disagree and would be wasting my time explaining why.

Thankfully though, you'll see above - only you seems transfixed on this idea, so it's not "every man and his dog".

I know you disagree, and you have explained why you disagree, and I disagree with your explanation of why you disagree, that's what message boards are about... I said every man and his dog can see he's useless (everyone I spoke to both during the game and in the pub said the same), not that every man and his dog wants him sacked.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's a very, very long season - 46 games, and we've only played 11 so far. That 35 matches and 105 points at stake, so the fact we're behind the top 2 at the moment doesn't really matter.  And we're not going to win every game, there's going to be quit a few blips along the way (eg Wimbledon). But there's a momentum building, and winning breeds a sense of confidence. Everyone would like to see more consistent performances - the likes of Gillingham near the bottom need to be beaten more convincingly. Let's see how we do in the next few games against lower clubs to see if Mowbray can get them playing better and putting these matches to bed without scares like yesterday. 

It's amazing that some posters are suggesting sacking the manager, or that finishing 6th at the end of the season would be a failure.

The club has been in freefall for 7 years.  With all the instability and governance challenges since John Williams left all those years ago, it's a miracle that fans still have a club to support. 

If TM is providing some stability on the pitch and can stop the club sliding yet further down the league hierarchy, without any boardroom support or infrastructure behind him, then he's doing a fantastic job.

And if he were to go, he would be very difficult to replace.

5 minutes ago, RV Blue said:

I know you disagree, and you have explained why you disagree, and I disagree with your explanation of why you disagree, that's what message boards are about... I said every man and his dog can see he's useless (everyone I spoke to both during the game and in the pub said the same), not that every man and his dog wants him sacked.

Sacking manager = lunacy, stupidity, lack of scope/understanding of football in general.

Im sure many people have reservations about TM, just like me - but a blind man with the memory of a goldfish would probably remember what an actual "useless" manager is, not one who picks up results and signs good players.

25 minutes ago, Hasta said:

Arrrgh. Another one thinking our squad is miles better than it is. Accept that the players aren't "too good for this league" and you may start seeing the true picture.

No I won't accept our squad isn't too good for the league, it is. The majority of our squad have played most of their football at higher levels than this, because they are too good. We were incredibly close to staying up in the Championship last season even though we had two poor managers, and we have a better squad this season than last, Bolton went up last season with relative ease and they are nowhere near good enough for the Championship this season.

5 minutes ago, Biz said:

Sacking manager = lunacy, stupidity, lack of scope/understanding of football in general.

Im sure many people have reservations about TM, just like me - but a blind man with the memory of a goldfish would probably remember what an actual "useless" manager is, not one who picks up results and signs good players.

Sacking a poor manager is not lunacy. Thinking Tony Mowbray is anything but useless shows a lack of scope/understanding of football in general.

Just now, RV Blue said:

Sacking a poor manager is not lunacy. Thinking Tony Mowbray is anything but useless shows a lack of scope/understanding of football in general.

The useless @#/? has guided us to six wins out of eight, second in the form table, conceded two goals in the last seven games and has us moving up the table - albeit having had a host of injuries and with a game in hand. From my point of view, I wish we'd employed someone as useless as him years ago.

20 minutes ago, RV Blue said:

No I won't accept our squad isn't too good for the league, it is. The majority of our squad have played most of their football at higher levels than this, because they are too good. We were incredibly close to staying up in the Championship last season even though we had two poor managers, and we have a better squad this season than last, Bolton went up last season with relative ease and they are nowhere near good enough for the Championship this season.

From what you have seen of them in a Rovers shirt, which of our defenders apart from Mulgrew is too good for this league? 

Do you think Graham is still at the peak of his game? If not, who have we got who is a proven goalscorer.

The squad may have enough to be blended into a promotion side but it's not dripping with Championship quality. Of course, you have to continue to say you believe that it is in order to keep up your current line of posting on this thread.

6 minutes ago, Pedro said:

The useless @#/? has guided us to six wins out of eight, second in the form table, conceded two goals in the last seven games and has us moving up the table - albeit having had a host of injuries and with a game in hand. From my point of view, I wish we'd employed someone as useless as him years ago.

6th place with the best squad in the league is nothing to be impressed with. Playing well one or two games out of 10 is nothing to be impressed with either.

1 hour ago, NinjaTattoo said:

and if we had played 8 games we would all be happy but no matter how you put the results 6 wins in 8 or 3 wins in 5 with 1 loss the reality of 10 games played we are short of our targets. If you was a salesman depending on commission for your wage you'd just about cover the household bills.

The last 5 games match the same as bradford and thats where we should be given that our game in hand is a win we are still short. 

Its not panic stations yet  but in the grand scheme of things we are off the pace

Hmm as mentioned in my post - current form is top 2. That you judge the results from the start as being "short of "our" (actually your) target is fair enough bit "current form" would see us surpass even "your" target.

Hence talk of firing Mowbray right now is, imo, frankly ludicrous.

3 hours ago, RV Blue said:

He's a manager experienced in failure. Johnson has had a very successful managerial career so far, and I would be surprised if L2 clubs aren't looking at him, he won't stay here forever so we may as well properly take advantage of him being here whilst we have the chance.

I'd also be looking at Uwe Rosler, he's been successful at most places he's managed and has done a great job at Fleetwood, he'd also bite our hand off to come here.

Johnson hasn't had a successful managerial career. He hasn't even been a manager. Coaching the U23s isn't management. Managing the first team of a club is completely different to the reserves or youth team. The pressure is 100x more, your decisions are scrutinized and put under the microscope every week, you have to handle the media, 'big name' players who need different treatment, an expectant set of supporters and perhaps most importantly a group of Indian lunatics who continue to undermine chances of success. 

I'm not saying he won't be a manager in future and he's doing very well with the U23s but its a completely different ball game to managing a club of Rovers size, handling the ownership issues and delivering a promotion in what would be his first season. Its not as simple as getting good results with the kids = he's going to be a good manager and should be the next Rovers boss.

Can anyone point me in the direction of the last club at this level promoted to the Championship with a manager they promoted from within with no previous managerial experience?

5 minutes ago, RV Blue said:

6th place with the best squad in the league is nothing to be impressed with. Playing well one or two games out of 10 is nothing to be impressed with either.

Name me a team which won a league or gained promotion after 10 games?

I said early this season that this team needs time to gel. They do need time but fair play to them, they are gelling. At times they look excellent, at others, suspect, nothing to panic about.  Shrewsbury have had a phenomenal start to the season but I doubt it will last the entirety of the year. We are very well placed and with a game in hand and I think we will continue to get stronger and better.

10 minutes ago, RV Blue said:

I agree with both your points. However, when you are averaging 2 points per game you don't sack the manger, or even contemplate it.

35 minutes ago, RV Blue said:

I hope you aren't judged with such lack of foresight, I imagine you'd be unemployed and divorced within a week :) 

54 minutes ago, Kettledrum said:

It's amazing that some posters are suggesting sacking the manager, or that finishing 6th at the end of the season would be a failure.

The club has been in freefall for 7 years.  With all the instability and governance challenges since John Williams left all those years ago, it's a miracle that fans still have a club to support. 

If TM is providing some stability on the pitch and can stop the club sliding yet further down the league hierarchy, without any boardroom support or infrastructure behind him, then he's doing a fantastic job.

And if he were to go, he would be very difficult to replace.

Finishing 6th is only any good IF it is then followed by progression to Wembley and a win in the final. If we finish 6th then get beat by Peterborough or Shrewsbury in the play-offs then have to prepare for another year at this level with budgets slashed and players sold and an entire squad rebuild then it isn't success. Its the start of another slippery slope IMO.

Just now, JHRover said:

Johnson hasn't had a successful managerial career. He hasn't even been a manager. Coaching the U23s isn't management. Managing the first team of a club is completely different to the reserves or youth team. The pressure is 100x more, your decisions are scrutinized and put under the microscope every week, you have to handle the media, 'big name' players who need different treatment, an expectant set of supporters and perhaps most importantly a group of Indian lunatics who continue to undermine chances of success. 

I'm not saying he won't be a manager in future and he's doing very well with the U23s but its a completely different ball game to managing a club of Rovers size, handling the ownership issues and delivering a promotion in what would be his first season. Its not as simple as getting good results with the kids = he's going to be a good manager and should be the next Rovers boss.

Can anyone point me in the direction of the last club at this level promoted to the Championship with a manager they promoted from within with no previous managerial experience?

He picks his team, he choses the tactics, he makes the substitutions, that's most of a manager's job, and he's been very successful to date.

1 hour ago, RV Blue said:

Everyone you spoke to? So 1-2 people? Would seem reasonable as that about the number of people on the board here who want him sacked in relation to those who don't,

4 minutes ago, blueboy3333 said:

I agree with both your points. However, when you are averaging 2 points per game you don't sack the manger, or even contemplate it.

It is only a matter of time until we aren't averaging 2 points per game in my opinion. Mowbray's managerial performance yesterday was a sackable offence, he tried his best to chuck 2 points away, and luckily for us Gillingham were awful. By saying "we're averaging 2 points per game" you are using that performance yesterday as part of the justification for keeping him, which is rubbish.

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

Everyone you spoke to? So 1-2 people? Would seem reasonable as that about the number of people on the board here who want him sacked in relation to those who don't,

You have a habit of arguing against a point that the person you are replying to isn't making... I said that the people I go to Rovers with (8 of us yesterday) and the people in the pub after the game agreed that he is useless, not that he should be sacked. The majority of posters on here aren't saying that they rate Mowbray, they are saying that he shouldn't be sacked after a win (an understandable position), I disagree though for the reasons I have stated above.

I really don't get the play offs as a minimum line of thinking. I honestly dislike the play offs which I believe are a lottery and failure in them can have an adverse effect for a couple of seasons. It has to be top two for me, reaching the play offs would not constitute a successful season in my view.

8 minutes ago, RV Blue said:

He's managed 28 games for us, that is more than enough to be judged on, and he isn't good enough.

Makes no difference, using 18 games of last season to help your point is churlish. You've shown yourself up, completely.

Archived