BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Mowbray stays as manager

16 minutes ago, NinjaTattoo said:

But we are not its 1.9 and we all know what a point at the end of a season can do, hence why Ive said we are falling short of the MINIMUM (20pts in 10 games) to grant us promotion from LG1

ID give TM another 10 games to turn it round or should I say improve on recent results we need 21 points from the next 10 games. 7 wins or 6 wins 3 draws etc....

What if the teams above us go on bad runs and we only get 18 points, but still pass them?

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Id rather not 'hope' what other teams do we need to do what is required. IF those teams drop points mean other teams are picking points up 4 teams below us are within a win of overtaking us.

TM set the bench mark of 90pts ""There will be no excuses come Saturday, we are playing for points and we know we are going to have to get 90 points if we are going to get promotion," said the manager."

21points in the next ten games but then another 20 minimum from the next 10 after that.

2 points  per game gives us 92points

what 92points would have given you over last 10seasons

2016-17 2nd
2015-16 winners
2014-15  2nd
2013-14  3rd
2012-13  Winners
2011-12  3rd
2010-11  joint2nd depends on GD
2009-10  2nd
2008-09  2nd
2007-08  joint winners depends on GD

Before the season started we was known to be 1 of the teams to beat having improved the squad we rightly had the tag of FAVS to go back up. Having that label  we should be sending the message out by beating teams convincingly but totally agree with Tyrone and our results are papering over the cracks.,

• Backroom

I said I'd accept a minimum of 15pts from the first 30. He's got us 19 and has us 6th.

The aim must now be to progress. 20+ points from the next 10 please; ie: 39pts minimum after 20. Hopefully more!

We were talking earlier about the Fulham game in our promotion season. Although we lost that day we played really, really well and could and should have actually won the game. I took a lot of  heart from that performance because Fulham were flying and we matched them. We looked like a team and we looked like we had goals in us.

I can't say that at the moment. We only play well in short spells and most of the time we look vulnerable at the back.

It's nowhere near enough for automatic promotion.

Just now, NinjaTattoo said:

Before the season started we was known to be 1 of the teams to beat having improved the squad we rightly had the tag of FAVS to go back up. Having that label  we should be sending the message out by beating teams convincingly but totally agree with Tyrone and our results are papering over the cracks.,

I think recently poor finishing has been the stand out problem, rather than poor management (yet we still have 7points from 9 - dropping 2 against the fly away leaders). Yesterday, Samuel had loads of decent chances but Nathan Blaked them all over the bar. On Wednesday, we should (not could) have scored seven or eight. We are now creating chances but need to be much more ruthless.

On Wednesday, in the second half, there were only 4 players on the pitch who featured last season. One of them being Raya- who only came into the fold towards the very end of the season. They are doing fine but more patience and vocal support is needed, not more panic and upheaval in the hope that some amazing, imaginary mug will swoop in and deliver total football and a 100% win rate.

8 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

We were talking earlier about the Fulham game in our promotion season. Although we lost that day we played really, really well and could and should have actually won the game. I took a lot of  heart from that performance because Fulham were flying and we matched them. We looked like a team and we looked like we had goals in us.

I can't say that at the moment. We only play well in short spells and most of the time we look vulnerable at the back.

It's nowhere near enough for automatic promotion.

First ten games of our last promotion season. W4 L4 D2  14 points from 30.

7 minutes ago, Pedro said:

I think recently poor finishing has been the stand out problem, rather than poor management (yet we still have 7points from 9 - dropping 2 against the fly away leaders). Yesterday, Samuel had loads of decent chances but Nathan Blaked them all over the bar. On Wednesday, we should (not could) have scored seven or eight. We are now creating chances but need to be much more ruthless.

On Wednesday, in the second half, there were only 4 players on the pitch who featured last season. One of them being Raya- who only came into the fold towards the very end of the season. They are doing fine but more patience and vocal support is needed, not more panic and upheaval in the hope that some amazing, imaginary mug will swoop in and deliver total football and a 100% win rate.

Good post. 

Agree with a lot of that. I pictured Graham being the man to put the ball in the net regularly for us, but Samuel brings a lot more to the table with all round play. Hopefully he starts regularly taking chances, or at least doesn't drop his head if he goes a few games without scoring. I don't see Graham winning his place back. 

Ya, its a new team really and we are tipping along fine. Room for improvement, but definitely far from a disaster. 

7 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Good post. 

Agree with a lot of that. I pictured Graham being the man to put the ball in the net regularly for us, but Samuel brings a lot more to the table with all round play. Hopefully he starts regularly taking chances, or at least doesn't drop his head if he goes a few games without scoring. I don't see Graham winning his place back. 

Ya, its a new team really and we are tipping along fine. Room for improvement, but definitely far from a disaster. 

I agree mate. Not perfect by any means but at times I've been really happy with them. The defending in the opposition's half is my particular favourite (God that sounds boring) I also thought Graham would be the main man, he still might be. Flip side, I never imagined Smallwood and Chapman would be so impressive and although there have been bad performances, I have a hell of a lot of hope.

4 hours ago, NinjaTattoo said:

2 points  per game gives us 92points

what 92points would have given you over last 10seasons

2016-17 2nd
2015-16 winners
2014-15  2nd
2013-14  3rd
2012-13  Winners
2011-12  3rd
2010-11  joint2nd depends on GD
2009-10  2nd
2008-09  2nd
2007-08  joint winners depends on GD

Knowing our luck, 92 points would see us third!

5 hours ago, NinjaTattoo said:

But we are not its 1.9 and we all know what a point at the end of a season can do, hence why Ive said we are falling short of the MINIMUM (20pts in 10 games) to grant us promotion from LG1

Yeah, sorry, what was I thinking. Falling 1 point short of an arbitrary points total less than quarter of a way through the season just won't do. Sack him immediately.

6 minutes ago, blueboy3333 said:

Yeah, sorry, what was I thinking. Falling 1 point short of an arbitrary points total less than quarter of a way through the season just won't do. Sack him immediately.

The point I was trying to make was we are behind on points if TM wants 90 points this season as the current trend goes. 

Just now, NinjaTattoo said:

The point I was trying to make was we are behind on points if TM wants 90 points this season as the current trend goes. 

Being 1 point away from a 2 points per game average couldn't matter any less after only ten games. It's irrelevant. If we win our next game we're bang on 2 points per game. It won't matter then either. If we were on 10 points after 10 games it might matter. If we're on 25 points after 20 games it will matter. 19 points after 10 games only matters because it's a very solid start.

Credit to TM - a good week, 7 points, and into the playoff places. Performances are yet to convince but the results go a long way in this business.

The more I think on it I think our situation is as follows:

- The quality of league 1 is awful. The squad we came down with had a lot of quality for this level and with our wages and spending we've been able to add a lot in terms of depth and some quality as well. In short we were favourites for a reason.

- All of the above means that as long as someone isn't a dud of a manager they should get us in the playoffs. A good manager should utilise these assets to get us top 2 comfortably.

- TM isn't a good manager (hence why we're so far behind and didn't stay up last season) but nor is he a dud/joker of the ilk of Coyle (hence why we almost stayed up last season rather than woefully underperforming like under Clueless). Ergo with the squad and quality of the league, TM will get us into the playoffs.

- Playoffs is a gamble. Arguably 50:50 given our quality. Bit of a risk really.

- Chances of us getting a better manager? I'd say that given Venkys abysmal recruiting so far, probably less than 50:50. Whilst gambling with TM is risky as it'll probably mean the lottery of playoffs, gambling on them appointing a decent manager has much worse odds. These are the ones who gave us Coyle and TM whilst a championship club, and the pool of candidates is only going to get thinner lower down the leagues. The odds of them appointing worse is a lot more than 50:50 imo, which reduces our chances even further.

Conclusion: Not just off the back of a good week, but on the probability of not getting a better guy in, it looks like our best gamble is TM. As options go, it's still far less certain of success than it should be given our spending and context, which is another crime Venkys have committed; but the more I think about it, the more I think he's still the best we're going to get. Of course TM could stumble upon the correct formula, or he could completely lose the plot - in which case he'd need potting - but I suspect that the above scenario is the likeliest given the 10+ games I've seen this season.

Strangely under Venkys, this is both better than I hoped it would be, but predictably worse than it should be.

24 minutes ago, Blue blood said:

Credit to TM - a good week, 7 points, and into the playoff places. Performances are yet to convince but the results go a long way in this business.

The more I think on it I think our situation is as follows:

- The quality of league 1 is awful. The squad we came down with had a lot of quality for this level and with our wages and spending we've been able to add a lot in terms of depth and some quality as well. In short we were favourites for a reason.

- All of the above means that as long as someone isn't a dud of a manager they should get us in the playoffs. A good manager should utilise these assets to get us top 2 comfortably.

- TM isn't a good manager (hence why we're so far behind and didn't stay up last season) but nor is he a dud/joker of the ilk of Coyle (hence why we almost stayed up last season rather than woefully underperforming like under Clueless). Ergo with the squad and quality of the league, TM will get us into the playoffs.

- Playoffs is a gamble. Arguably 50:50 given our quality. Bit of a risk really.

- Chances of us getting a better manager? I'd say that given Venkys abysmal recruiting so far, probably less than 50:50. Whilst gambling with TM is risky as it'll probably mean the lottery of playoffs, gambling on them appointing a decent manager has much worse odds. These are the ones who gave us Coyle and TM whilst a championship club, and the pool of candidates is only going to get thinner lower down the leagues. The odds of them appointing worse is a lot more than 50:50 imo, which reduces our chances even further.

Conclusion: Not just off the back of a good week, but on the probability of not getting a better guy in, it looks like our best gamble is TM. As options go, it's still far less certain of success than it should be given our spending and context, which is another crime Venkys have committed; but the more I think about it, the more I think he's still the best we're going to get. Of course TM could stumble upon the correct formula, or he could completely lose the plot - in which case he'd need potting - but I suspect that the above scenario is the likeliest given the 10+ games I've seen this season.

Strangely under Venkys, this is both better than I hoped it would be, but predictably worse than it should be.

I agree with a lot of this.

However, Mowbray should be judged on results, nothing more and nothing less.

We shouldn't keep hold of any manager who is underperforming just because the next one 'might' be worse.

Such is the nature of football that I'm more than happy for another 20+ 1-0's like we had on Saturday hanging on for dear life against garbage sides if it ends in promotion, and I'll praise the manager if that's what happens, but concede an equaliser after all that pressure and its big question marks on the manager. Fine lines. A struggling 1-0 puts a smile on my face for a fortnight, Raya doesn't save that shot and I'm miserable for a fortnight. On the one hand Mowbray doing ok, on the flip side it would have been a horrendous result had we not got 3 points on Saturday.

As things stand we're around the bare minimum of what should be expected almost 25% through the season. We're enjoying our highest league position and first spell inside the top 6 at present, have had some tricky games away from home and got a good return, with in theory easier games to come. However concerns still exist around our ability to perform for 90 minutes, chances created/converted, struggles in dispatching poor sides at home. I'm hoping that with more time and bedding in that is dealt with.

I have to admit I'm feeling slightly better about things having seen the state of last season's table at this stage. We're actually doing better or as well as Sheff Utd/Bolton were at the same stage, so whilst we're further off the top due to Shrewsbury's blistering start, we're probably about par for automatic promotion if we can keep it up.

Archived