BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Mowbray stays as manager

1 minute ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Have Shrewsbury gone to any of the top 10 and won yet? 

Often when you get teams people might call dark horses storming out of the pack early does and surprising everyone they get caught out second half of the season as the 2nd games come around and teams know what to expect.  It seems Shrewsbury are punching above their weight at the min although you never know but I don't think they'll keep the pace in the top two, Wigan probably will though.

I did say at the beginning of the season though when we were ballsing up that it's such a poor div mostly it would be easy for a decent side to run away with it, still feel it's all in our hands though. Get it together and there really is nothing to fear to much except our own weaknesses.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, SIMON GARNERS 194 said:

Hate to say this but if we are promoted this Rovers side is on a hiding to nothing...the gap is huge between the Championship and this tin pot league!.

Don't worry if and it's a big if we get promoted there'll be a war chest to help us establish back in the champ surely :lol:

10 minutes ago, SIMON GARNERS 194 said:

Hate to say this but if we are promoted this Rovers side is on a hiding to nothing...the gap is huge between the Championship and this tin pot league!.

I'd argue that we have a better suited squad compared to last season, but it doesn't take much really when it's compared to the dross that Coyle assembled.

3 hours ago, Blue blood said:

Credit to TM - a good week, 7 points, and into the playoff places. Performances are yet to convince but the results go a long way in this business.

The more I think on it I think our situation is as follows:

- The quality of league 1 is awful. The squad we came down with had a lot of quality for this level and with our wages and spending we've been able to add a lot in terms of depth and some quality as well. In short we were favourites for a reason.

- All of the above means that as long as someone isn't a dud of a manager they should get us in the playoffs. A good manager should utilise these assets to get us top 2 comfortably.

- TM isn't a good manager (hence why we're so far behind and didn't stay up last season) but nor is he a dud/joker of the ilk of Coyle (hence why we almost stayed up last season rather than woefully underperforming like under Clueless). Ergo with the squad and quality of the league, TM will get us into the playoffs.

- Playoffs is a gamble. Arguably 50:50 given our quality. Bit of a risk really.

- Chances of us getting a better manager? I'd say that given Venkys abysmal recruiting so far, probably less than 50:50. Whilst gambling with TM is risky as it'll probably mean the lottery of playoffs, gambling on them appointing a decent manager has much worse odds. These are the ones who gave us Coyle and TM whilst a championship club, and the pool of candidates is only going to get thinner lower down the leagues. The odds of them appointing worse is a lot more than 50:50 imo, which reduces our chances even further.

Conclusion: Not just off the back of a good week, but on the probability of not getting a better guy in, it looks like our best gamble is TM. As options go, it's still far less certain of success than it should be given our spending and context, which is another crime Venkys have committed; but the more I think about it, the more I think he's still the best we're going to get. Of course TM could stumble upon the correct formula, or he could completely lose the plot - in which case he'd need potting - but I suspect that the above scenario is the likeliest given the 10+ games I've seen this season.

Strangely under Venkys, this is both better than I hoped it would be, but predictably worse than it should be.

We'll be champions by Easter ;)

2 hours ago, Suhail Slayer said:

Tony's 10 game appraisal :-

Reminder Tony... Top 2 is the ONLY acceptable outcome for this season.

So far you are 10 points behind top position. Ask yourself why,

Some supporters will be sympathetic if you win a few games on the bounce but to meet your target you need to be setting up to win EVERY game.

The odd defeat thrown in will mean you ultimately fail. We can't be 20 points behind after 20 games. It simply won't be tolerated

For now you have a stay of execution - for one reason - you made a good decision to postpone the Fleetwood game and that game in hand (which we MUST win) is the only reason you have a chance to meet your target.

As Chaddy says (over and over and over) there are 46 games.

The minute top 2 becomes mathematically impossible I expect you to immediately resign.

Next appraisal due end of November.

Fortunately, the supporters still attending are, in the main part, more than happy with the progress being made under Mowbray.  The only time most will pass judgement will be at the end of the season.  Top two or promotion via the play-offs will do for me and, I suspect, most supporters.

11 minutes ago, Parsonblue said:

Fortunately, the supporters still attending are, in the main part, more than happy with the progress being made under Mowbray.  The only time most will pass judgement will be at the end of the season.  Top two or promotion via the play-offs will do for me and, I suspect, most supporters.

Not if we're off the pace and getting left behind at any point. Questions will rightly be asked then. He's had the support in the summer, it's now his job to achieve promotion.

13 minutes ago, Parsonblue said:

Really?!

its been bearable from a man who unconvincingly took us down, his summer business at best looks iffy whilst the team fail to have any particular style/patten of play. His continued mad flurry of substitutions and bizzare formations unsuited to squad personnel suggest he's struggling to adapt to managing at this level.

Far from happy with TM myself and he should be continually reviewed. Best facilities below the premier league almost, highest wage bill by almost double at this level, transfer kitty and we are bumbling in sixth though i appreciate the up turn in the last couple of games.

Not sure what your watching but from the games I've taken in we look devoid of any personality and fitness whilst resembling 11 hard working grafters on the pitch (a pleasant change).

Much to do from here on in, whether it's u12s u18s or development squad or first team we need the same patterns of play and formations to ease youth stepping up more easily at the minute there is a complete lack of structure regarding this and as a moment the side have no identity. @chaddyrovers Actually touched upon this pre season.

9 minutes ago, blueboy3333 said:

Say what?

We are working pretty hard on the field but not as a team you have players just working independently doing much of there own thing. There is no style of play, no settled team whom are cohesive and read/work with one another instead it just looks devoid of any particular style/personality. Complete contrast to the development squad.

27 minutes ago, Dunnfc said:

We are working pretty hard on the field but not as a team you have players just working independently doing much of there own thing. There is no style of play, no settled team whom are cohesive and read/work with one another instead it just looks devoid of any particular style/personality. Complete contrast to the development squad.

Might not be consistent but I get the intention we like to mix it up at current, work the ball from the back, down the flanks, try and turn the defence round.

Most teams stuck in a particular style eventually get worked out, where as game management and organisation will win you games without even a semblance of "pizazz". We've had that in fits and starts so far, and I think we are starting to look more like a team - particularly the likes of Smallwood, Whittingham, Samuel, Dack et al.

It was always going to take time to gel 12 new faces into a squad, perhaps that's the rationale for your comments on 11 hard working individuals? 

38 minutes ago, Dunnfc said:

The development squad have been together, in the main, for several years - coming through as Under-16, Under-18 and then onto Under-23 level.  The senior eleven have been assembled over the past four months or so.

2 hours ago, Parsonblue said:

apart from people on this messageboard I haven't heard anyone complaining about Mowbray or even suggest sacking him. 

Guess most people are happy with him as manager here. 

1 hour ago, Dunnfc said:

Really?!

its been bearable from a man who unconvincingly took us down, his summer business at best looks iffy whilst the team fail to have any particular style/patten of play. His continued mad flurry of substitutions and bizzare formations unsuited to squad personnel suggest he's struggling to adapt to managing at this level.

Far from happy with TM myself and he should be continually reviewed. Best facilities below the premier league almost, highest wage bill by almost double at this level, transfer kitty and we are bumbling in sixth though i appreciate the up turn in the last couple of games.

Not sure what your watching but from the games I've taken in we look devoid of any personality and fitness whilst resembling 11 hard working grafters on the pitch (a pleasant change).

Much to do from here on in, whether it's u12s u18s or development squad or first team we need the same patterns of play and formations to ease youth stepping up more easily at the minute there is a complete lack of structure regarding this and as a moment the side have no identity. @chaddyrovers Actually touched upon this pre season.

his summer business at best looks iffy? really?! Smallwood been outstanding this season, Downing looks decent and 3 clean sheets kept in 3 games he played in, Samuel performing and scoring, Dack improving game by game, Antonsson scored 3 goals and looks decent from the left wing, Chapman making an impact in games from bench, Whittingham looking better and settled in now then at the start of the season. Not seen enough Hart, Gladwin, Leutwiler, Harper in the 1st team yet 

You aren't going to agree with the managers subs every games so why you bring that up I don't know, just seems an unnecessary dig at Mowbray. 

Nothing wrong with being 6th after 10 games, still 36 games to go and if you look at last season NONE of the top 3 after 10 games went up, and Sheffield United were 6th after 10 games. The same position as us now. Wigan and Shrewsbury will have bad games and drop points plus pick up injuries. Its important that we look to take 2 points on average per game and finish 92 points which should be enough to ensure we are promotion from this league. 

19 minutes ago, Biz said:

Might not be consistent but I get the intention we like to mix it up at current, work the ball from the back, down the flanks, try and turn the defence round.

Most teams stuck in a particular style eventually get worked out, where as game management and organisation will win you games without even a semblance of "pizazz". We've had that in fits and starts so far, and I think we are starting to look more like a team - particularly the likes of Smallwood, Whittingham, Samuel, Dack et al.

It was always going to take time to gel 12 new faces into a squad, perhaps that's the rationale for your comments on 11 hard working individuals? 

you are very right about us mixing it up at the minute. We mostly keep the ball on the ground. 

we are being to find a first 11 with only a couple of positions open to at the minute 

56 minutes ago, Dunnfc said:

don't think we should have just one style cos different teams at this level play different ways. I agree @Biz assessment of our style. 

I believe we need most of our starting 11 at the minute with just the left wing slot and centre midfield slot along Smallwood open. 

I guess it easy for the development squad to have a one style but this season they have used 2 different formations. 3-4-2-1 and 4-2-3-1 formations

4 hours ago, Suhail Slayer said:

Tony's 10 game appraisal :-

Reminder Tony... Top 2 is the ONLY acceptable outcome for this season.

So far you are 10 points behind top position. Ask yourself why,

Some supporters will be sympathetic if you win a few games on the bounce but to meet your target you need to be setting up to win EVERY game.

The odd defeat thrown in will mean you ultimately fail. We can't be 20 points behind after 20 games. It simply won't be tolerated

For now you have a stay of execution - for one reason - you made a good decision to postpone the Fleetwood game and that game in hand (which we MUST win) is the only reason you have a chance to meet your target.

As Chaddy says (over and over and over) there are 46 games.

The minute top 2 becomes mathematically impossible I expect you to immediately resign.

Next appraisal due end of November.

I am sure Tony Mowbray will sleep much better after reading your appraisal.

If you spoken Mowbray you would know how much the club means to him and you wants to get promote this season. 

suggest you look at last season table after 10 games and you will find none of the top 3 got promote last season. 

1 hour ago, Parsonblue said:

It's rather like all the folk who moaned about Sam - it's gone ever so well since we got rid of him.

I never understood that at the time and still don't, unless perhaps they only started following us in the PL.

Progress under TM can only be made if he gets us out of L1 and then keeps us in the Championship. From that point he's in credit.

We have to be aiming for the one available auto spot as Wigan will get the other. IMO.

It is simply not possible to plan to get promoted via the playoffs. There are too many variables.

I like the playoff concept but only if other teams are involved and it makes good TV.

If we are involved it is too stressful.......and I was at Palace and Wembley.

14 hours ago, Biz said:

I'd argue that we have a better suited squad compared to last season, but it doesn't take much really when it's compared to the dross that Coyle assembled.

Coventry fans saying similar in league two.. but swap Coyle for Mowbray 

8 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

apart from people on this messageboard I haven't heard anyone complaining about Mowbray or even suggest sacking him. 

Really????? You must have your ears shut.. 

TMs changes nearly cost us two points on Saturday only for Raya and the fact we were playing a awful side we got Away with it 

But we're sixth and over the last twelve seasons the sides going up automatically have been in the top 8 at the end of September.. So going off that we're nicely poised.. Shrewsbury will probably fade.. Wigan I expect to be up there.. 

There's a long way to go yet 

54 minutes ago, Athlete said:

Coventry fans saying similar in league two.. but swap Coyle for Mowbray 

Like your usual utterances, this makes absolutely no sense

46 minutes ago, Athlete said:

TMs changes nearly cost us two points on Saturday only for Raya and the fact we were playing a awful side we got Away with it  

Ahh, but by the same token his tactics, starting 11, training, set pieces and choice of signings allowed us to be in a position to win the game. Also, we didn't concede.. so in reality if it's "manager takes responsibility"(which it certainly isn't) he could be lauded for making changes that ultimately earned the points.

I think people who want rid of Mowbray are just completely blind to the scenario we are in, for example those blaming him for relegation must've completely forgot summer 16 and the first 7 months of last season.

I genuinely worry for our fans if they think the solution in this scenario (19 points from 10 games) is "sack the manager".

Mowbray is beyond reproach at the moment because he's quickly turned around a dreadful start and got us in the mix. My genuine worry is that when it comes down to the crunch (like in the home games at the end of last season) whether Mowbray is astute enough to overcome teams at home who not only defend well but are effective on the break. We've really only convinced at home against Rotherham this season, and there will be far better teams who come to Ewood later in the season than we've seen so far. 

3 minutes ago, blueboy3333 said:

Mowbray is beyond reproach at the moment because he's quickly turned around a dreadful start and got us in the mix. My genuine worry is that when it comes down to the crunch (like in the home games at the end of last season) whether Mowbray is astute enough to overcome teams at home who not only defend well but are effective on the break. We've really only convinced at home against Rotherham this season, and there will be far better teams who come to Ewood later in the season than we've seen so far. 

Mowbray was quoted the other week as saying we have to find a way to beat teams who get men behind the ball. That will be pretty much every team who comes to Ewood then who we have to get an early goal against or get in behind them to create chances. Personally I think he will get it right eventually but have we got time to do it with the pressure already on given the points deficit between us and the top two. 

I think the situation was summed up on Saturday when somebody said that Mowbray has all the pieces of the jigsaw but he hasn't put it together yet.

37 minutes ago, Biz said:

Like your usual utterances, this makes absolutely no sense

Ahh, but by the same token his tactics, starting 11, training, set pieces and choice of signings allowed us to be in a position to win the game. Also, we didn't concede.. so in reality if it's "manager takes responsibility"(which it certainly isn't) he could be lauded for making changes that ultimately earned the points.

I think people who want rid of Mowbray are just completely blind to the scenario we are in, for example those blaming him for relegation must've completely forgot summer 16 and the first 7 months of last season.

I genuinely worry for our fans if they think the solution in this scenario (19 points from 10 games) is "sack the manager".

I'm not calling for him to be sacked at this point as its a results driven business and no matter how you come by them points.. We all know what points mean.. 

As for your skit calling something a utterance you've come across with that as pathetic and blinkered .. I'm in no way sticking up for Coyle ( he should have been nowhere near Ewood. he got us in the relegation position of which TM should of got us out) but look at the Coventry picture who got them into the relegation position in a worse state than Coyle yes our very own TM.... Some blinkered Coventry fans are saying the same rubbish as you except the difference is Mowbray instead of Coyle and a division below.. Instead of looking at the bigger picture 

19 minutes ago, blueboy3333 said:

Agreed only for the ball going out of play Rotherham who were in the accendany would have equalized when we should have been out of sight in the first half of which was the best we'd played all season 

Only time will tell if TM is now astute enough and hopefully rediscovered is early managerial talent to overcome the sides who make it difficult..  as at the end of Last season he certainly wasn't 

Let's make it clear: there is absolutely no legitimate reason to be calling for Tony Mowbray to be sacked. He's delivered on 19 points in 10 games and football is ultimately a results based business.

However, there is substance in the accusations that he isn't exactly 'tactically astute'. One could argue he's doing so well because of the gulf in difference between our squad and the squads of our opposition. TM is doing the minimum required of him to maintain a stable job - a few more wins and we are cushty, a few more losses and suddenly things don't look so swell. It really is that much of a tight rope even this early in the season.

That's what I mean by us " riding our luck " at the moment. If  Rotherham's " goal " would have stood I could see us being held to a home draw and equally but for Raya's two stunning saves we could have even lost against lowly Gillingham at home. The results are papering over the cracks of our very average form. We can play well, especially if we score first, but not for long enough. 45 minutes is about the best we can manage at the moment.

Has for having a settled team, I wouldn't like to guess what 11 will play in the next game  or more importantly what pattern of play will be used.

Archived