SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Mowbray stays as manager

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Beta Ray Bill said:

Correct.

After the Fulham away match, I was sat eating a curry in Hammersmith with friends who had just seen their team go 10 straight wins and they had far more confidence in Rovers to come good than most Rovers fans. 

We then went on an eight match unbeaten run (W7 D1) until beaten at home by a team that prior to the match were 11 positions and 15 points behind us, namely... Gillingham!

We played really well in that Fulham game. We were desperately unlucky to lose. After that I fancied our chances against the Dingles for the first time that season.

Some dreamers posting on this thread.

Mowbray is the best we can realistically hope for given the ownership situation and the club's seven year free fall.

Not everything works out on the pitch for him but then managers who do make everything work for them are not managing in League 1.

Comparing where we are today with where I feared we would be after the Doncaster defeat- Tony is doing brilliantly and let nobody delude themselves otherwise.

I agree top two is looking a big ask but that has more to do with exceptional form from Wigan and Shrewsbury than Rovers not being good enough all round to be serious promotion contenders.

1 minute ago, philipl said:

Some dreamers posting on this thread.

Mowbray is the best we can realistically hope for given the ownership situation and the club's seven year free fall.

Not everything works out on the pitch for him but then managers who do make everything work for them are not managing in League 1.

Comparing where we are today with where I feared we would be after the Doncaster defeat- Tony is doing brilliantly and let nobody delude themselves otherwise.

I agree top two is looking a big ask but that has more to do with exceptional form from Wigan and Shrewsbury than Rovers not being good enough all round to be serious promotion contenders.

Shrewsbury are on fire but I can't see their excellent form going on for much longer as their fans expectations get higher. If they suffer a couple of quick fire defeats I think they will crumble. Wigan are a different proposition who look like they have recruited well with a decent manager at the helm.

23 minutes ago, Wing Wizard Windy Miller said:

Hughes gave the team a style.  First bully boys, then a team that passed with pace.  We have neither of those assets regretfully.  I think Mowbray is  a point shy of the minimum expected after 10 games.  That said, after the first 2 games, he has probably surpassed what most people expected after that turgid start. 

Done enough to earn another 10 game review IMO.  Now if we aren't on at least 40 points by then, we may need to start asking questions - especially with the transfer window looming.  Anything better than 40, then we should let him get on with things ;)

Hughes was a great manager for us. 

On Mowbray, I would just let him get on the job to get us promotion this season. 

14 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I agree that sacking Mowbray now would be foolish. Having said that I can't see us making the top two positions unless something changes. On our current form we'll probably make the play offs.

The top 2 will have bad results. I think I'm right in saying that Scunthorpe started the season like Wigan last season and fell away like to finish 4th or 5th. 

Wigan have a good squad that can deal with injuries but can Shrewsbury or Bradford? 

1 hour ago, Parsonblue said:

So I assume that you regard the efforts of Jack, Kenny and Ray in 1991-92 as a complete failure as we only just managed to retain a place in the play-offs on the last day of the season.  Yet, that victory at Wembley proved the launch pad for a tremendously successful period of our history which wouldn't have happened if your logic of sacking the manager had been applied when we lost six consecutive games towards the end of the season and slipped from top to clinging onto sixth place.

Are you really relating what's happening today to what happened 26 years ago, where we had different expectations and we were in a different league? With the players we have, and the resources we have available, we have to finish in the top 2. It is imperative we get promoted this season and would you be happy relying on the lottery of the playoffs to do it? I know I wouldn't. One of your worst posts on here that.

2 hours ago, Biz said:

I'm sorry to say RV, from my perspective- that's absolute stone cold "bunkum".

Perhaps it's a modern trend to be so short sighted? I mean, as "Reidy you're a star" points out, you'd have to be living in a bunker underground without communication to think that this ownership and management structure is geared for success.

You'd have to be in complete denial, in my opinion - to even remotely expect our delightful directors and owners to hire a top class manager for the job and give him time/money. Not that we shouldn't "want" or "expect" this, it's just not natural to expect things that've never looked like happening in this era.

I also think you'd have to be pretty wet behind the ears to think that a manager with zero first management team experience is a good choice. I mean, hasn't the experiments with Bowyer and the like taught you anything? It's like banging my head against a wall typing this, because I've said it time and time again; Whilst DJ might turn out to be great, do you really think we should be allowing someone to "cut their teeth" in this scenario? This scenario that dictates 6th after 10 games isn't good enough?

Would you be after sacking DJ if he's 8th after 20 games? If he stumbled in a few games, would it be "Damien Johnson is awful, I have more nouse than him"?

MH made some mistakes too, but you're comparing an era when we had little expectation, and constantly punched above our weight.

TM might make some strange decisions and he might not set up a team like the second best manager we've had in 35+ years, but I can't see the decision to sack him right now as anything but absolute utter cobblers.

If they sacked him tomorrow, my season ticket would be probably on a shelf or in a bin, it would be ludicrous, and taking all this into account- would probably make it LESS likely that we are promoted, in my humble opinion.

No one is saying that we need a "top class manager", just that we need one that is competent. Mowbray is incompetent, he should have kept us up last season, and some baffling decisions this season mean that we're in 6th place when we should be in the top 2 (and we're lucky to be in the top 6 after today's disgrace).

Bowyer wasn't too bad, but from what I have seen, Johnson is better. I think that the players would play better if they just managed themselves than have Mowbray try to F around with the formation when 1-0 up and playing decently. When he took Dack off, the only player in the front 6 that stayed in the same position were Samuel and Smallwood, that is just ridiculous and was one of the worst substitutions I have ever seen. The next two subs made it even worse.

Every man and his dog can see that Mowbray is not up to it, what is the point of waiting any longer and letting him have the opportunity of costing us more points?

1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

We have an experience manager and in the top 6 and still some people are moaning. We only played 10 games, still 36 games to go. We are winning games and keeping clean sheets..

He's a manager experienced in failure. Johnson has had a very successful managerial career so far, and I would be surprised if L2 clubs aren't looking at him, he won't stay here forever so we may as well properly take advantage of him being here whilst we have the chance.

I'd also be looking at Uwe Rosler, he's been successful at most places he's managed and has done a great job at Fleetwood, he'd also bite our hand off to come here.

17 minutes ago, RV Blue said:

Are you really relating what's happening today to what happened 26 years ago, where we had different expectations and we were in a different league? With the players we have, and the resources we have available, we have to finish in the top 2. It is imperative we get promoted this season and would you be happy relying on the lottery of the playoffs to do it? I know I wouldn't. One of your worst posts on here that.

Exactly what we had in 1991-92 - more resources than any other club but still finished sixth.  There is no difference no matter how long ago it was but I doubt you will find any supporter who felt that 1991-92 was anything other than a success.  I doubt you can achieve promotion by giving a manager ten games and then sacking him.  If the next guy comes in and does badly in his first ten games does he get the sack?  Where do you stop?  Ultimately, promotion can be achieved either by finishing in the top two or winning the play-offs - either way it's success.

12 hours ago, RV Blue said:

After today I would sack him. There is no other way to describe him than he's thick, it's as simple as that. If Gillingham scored today (as they should have) everyone on here would be slating him, and their poor finishing/Raya's good shot stopping doesn't excuse his ineptitude. I can't remember leaving Ewood with less confidence in a manger than I had before the game when we won, I can't be the only ons.

+10

whilst Id not sack him, after 10 games we are short of the targets required for promotion (20pts from 10 games) and id give him the next 10 games to turn it around. We have got off to a slow start and I just hope that the poor results from the first hand full of games doesnt cost us at the end of the season. With our squad and what has been spent and the deadwood shipped out we should be top 4 constantly.These past back to back wins have just papered over the cracks.

So 6 wins, 1 draw and 1 loss is not good enough "form"?

First 2 games were dreadful and provoked a marked shift in formation leading to the above and people are using the word "form". If you want Mowbray gone because of results, style or his tie then ok but formwise we are now on course. Win game in hand and beat Wigan and we ARE top 2.

Tldr: ffs again

2 minutes ago, klc_2012 said:

So 6 wins, 1 draw and 1 loss is not good enough "form"?

and if we had played 8 games we would all be happy but no matter how you put the results 6 wins in 8 or 3 wins in 5 with 1 loss the reality of 10 games played we are short of our targets. If you was a salesman depending on commission for your wage you'd just about cover the household bills.

The last 5 games match the same as bradford and thats where we should be given that our game in hand is a win we are still short. 

Its not panic stations yet  but in the grand scheme of things we are off the pace

1 hour ago, RV Blue said:

No one is saying that we need a "top class manager", just that we need one that is competent. Mowbray is incompetent, he should have kept us up last season, and some baffling decisions this season mean that we're in 6th place when we should be in the top 2 (and we're lucky to be in the top 6 after today's disgrace).

Bowyer wasn't too bad, but from what I have seen, Johnson is better. I think that the players would play better if they just managed themselves than have Mowbray try to F around with the formation when 1-0 up and playing decently. When he took Dack off, the only player in the front 6 that stayed in the same position were Samuel and Smallwood, that is just ridiculous and was one of the worst substitutions I have ever seen. The next two subs made it even worse.

Every man and his dog can see that Mowbray is not up to it, what is the point of waiting any longer and letting him have the opportunity of costing us more points?

I disagree and would be wasting my time explaining why.

Thankfully though, you'll see above - only you seems transfixed on this idea, so it's not "every man and his dog".

1 hour ago, RV Blue said:

He's a manager experienced in failure. Johnson has had a very successful managerial career so far, and I would be surprised if L2 clubs aren't looking at him, he won't stay here forever so we may as well properly take advantage of him being here whilst we have the chance.

I'd also be looking at Uwe Rosler, he's been successful at most places he's managed and has done a great job at Fleetwood, he'd also bite our hand off to come here.

Successful career at under 23's means nothing in terms of first team. 

Like Rosler but not exactly doing well this season..

Mowbray is doing a good job and the fans yesterday at Ewood Park were right behind him. 

15 minutes ago, NinjaTattoo said:

and if we had played 8 games we would all be happy but no matter how you put the results 6 wins in 8 or 3 wins in 5 with 1 loss the reality of 10 games played we are short of our targets. If you was a salesman depending on commission for your wage you'd just about cover the household bills.

The last 5 games match the same as bradford and thats where we should be given that our game in hand is a win we are still short. 

Its not panic stations yet  but in the grand scheme of things we are off the pace

The acid test is---if someone had suggested at the start of the season that we would be 10 points off Shrewsbury after 7/8 games, would we have felt encouraged or not?

There is certainly room for improvement, but any talk about a manager deserving the sack after a win is farcical. I have to pinch myself when I read some of the tripe on here.

Just to clarify for any outsiders reading this thread, we are 10 games into the season, and just shy of the points average normally required for automatic promotion.

For those calling for Mowbray's head, I would hope that none of you get the same treatment at work after delivering results.

Results first, football utopia second - always.

18 minutes ago, Ricky said:

After 11 games last season the top of the table was:

1st Scunthorpe

2nd Bradford

3rd Bury

None of them went up in the end. There's a long long way to go and a lot of football to be played.

Exactly my point. 

Bury only just stay up last season..after a good start

11 minutes ago, Biz said:

I disagree and would be wasting my time explaining why.

Thankfully though, you'll see above - only you seems transfixed on this idea, so it's not "every man and his dog".

Nobody I spoken to yesterday at Ewood Park wants him sack..

Only a few ppl on here agree with you. 

Only on here ppl want a manager sack after 10 games and we are currently 6th

1 minute ago, 47er said:

The acid test is---if someone had suggested at the start of the season that we would be 10 points off Shrewsbury after 7/8 games, would we have felt encouraged or not?

No. Not after only 10 games , if we win our game in hand then we are 7 points behind which after only 11 games is HUGE. 

2 hours ago, philipl said:

Thats the ultimate worry, I mentioned this a while ago . The longer this circus carries on the less chance we have of attracting any half decent manager.  Coyle didnt come across as having many fans in the manager circles but with TM I get the impression he's well liked amongst his piers so if he was removed as manager I doubt we could attract any manager worthy of getting us promoted.

Football management is a results business. Right now, Mowbray is getting results.

Our problems have been not dealing with managers who consistently failed to get the required results - and we’ve suffered for it.

Up to 6th with a game in hand. Closing the gap on second has to be the aim but right now we are very much in it and still to play Wigan twice.

12 hours ago, RV Blue said:

You are saying that like 'being in the mix' is an achievement, it isn't. With the squad we have, and the money we have spent, anything but automatic promotion is a complete failure.

The plan in place would be to give the job to Johnson, he's got more tactical nouse in his little finger than Mowbray has in his whole body

Arrrgh. Another one thinking our squad is miles better than it is. Accept that the players aren't "too good for this league" and you may start seeing the true picture.

Archived