BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Transfers Part 3

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, JHRover said:

This is the trouble. Notwithstanding the initial appointment of Coyle, which should have never happened and wouldn't have done at any other club, once he started lining players up there should have been someone at executive level keeping an eye on it.

Venkys appear to sit in India and sanction things as and when they feel like it. Then we've an accountant running the club and shadow man Pasha sending messages. Neither of those are qualified and I doubt empowered to take the manager to task.

I'm not suggesting that we should necessarily have a D of F who signs players above the managers head, but what we need is someone to say to the manager: 'ok so you want Anthony Stokes, at £10k a week he's a big risk, we aren't going to give him a 3 year deal on that money'. I doubt very much such a person exists at Rovers as seen by our haphazard transfer policy and financial carnage. Every other club has such a person. Its called keeping things in check and ensuring outrageous and risky deals aren't done which put the club at risk down the line.

Again can't fault the logic but disagree on the 'every' other club line, and in fairness you could argue Mowbray having brought Venus is who was doing a similar role at Coventry is keeping things in check. All be it I agree he'd not likely be saying no to Tony.  Look at Wolves for example, obviously might be exciting in some respects but look at the money they are spending, mainly on Portuguese signings, looks very dodgy from the outside and certainly not sustainable.  DoF can work in some situations, but at other clubs, Newcastle being another it can be a disaster.  Get a decent manager, a decent club secretary to sort the contracts and don't need much more, especially in League one.

3 hours ago, Dunnfc said:

Eh? The point of the two year deal I was making is he's sufficient at our current league one level but I don't believe him to be good enough for the championship. The championship continues to kick on and Caddis struggled at Bury as we know from Mowbray due to fitness. Not exactly a que of suitors at his door neither. It should have been a years deal with an option to extend based on performance. Dangle the carrott but we've seen this summer and generally how reckless Mike Cheston is in signing off contracts.

maybe he struggled for fitness last season due to Zola poor regime and did Bury release or did he decide to leave after contract ended?

2 hours ago, Dunnfc said:

Forget Mavidi I wonder if we can get a loan move in place for Chris Long of Burnley.

Lads a finisher, who will get better, had a bad injury pre Brentford and been hit and missing loan recently but definitely a good 3rd option for up top and with Sammy and Graham we'd be good to go in that department 

Chris Long? no thanks. awful record last season.

I would be looking at Ivan Toney of Newcastle. type of player we need

2 hours ago, Parsonblue said:

The fact that the manager thinks he is worth a two year deal is really all that matters.  The opinions of you or I are really irrelevant.  Mike Cheston is an employee of the club and does what he is instructed to do by the owners - just as anyone who is not self employed does exactly as instructed by their employers or is soon down the road.  Personally, have no problem with the summer transfer activity.  We seem to have assembled a more than decent squad, particularly with such excellent youngsters as Raya, Nyambe, Tomlinson, Wharton, Rankin-Costello, Travis, Doyle and Hardcastle all part of the senior squad.

Mowbray seems to calling the shot around the club in terms of targets to sign and contracts.

very pleased with the amount of the under 23's coming through. good to see

2 hours ago, Dunnfc said:

Respectfully PB i have to disagree the owners run 30 businesses and above else only seemingly make key decisions such as Deloitte and KPMG. I'd imagine pretty much everything is delegated in all 30 companies, I don't consider player contracts and lengths to be a remit of the owners, I'd imagine they've bigger fish to fry. 

Additionally we were told in March at the supporters meeting in which I think yourself attended that the owners have passed or delegated the running of the club to Mike Cheston, Paul Senior and Rob Coar.

Cheston is the managing director of this football club it's his remit to sign the contracts and advise the owners of what is going on. The book stops with this man on the ground.

Whether Mowbray thinks a two year deal or three year deal is best is actually irrelevant as a manager he could be easily gone on six months. The Book stops with Cheston the MD, the director and bar coaching and managing the players TM shouldn't have any authority as a manager not director to make decisions of that level, of course he'd have a say but it'd set a dangerous precedent if a manager calls the shots of a club.

What is Rob Coar role currently? does he have more power than Cheston?

1 hour ago, Parsonblue said:

I believe that Cheston has returned to being Finance director and that all contracts are done by the Club Secretary.  When Venkys took over I remember reading that at none of the companies they own do they have a Board of Directors as such.  Apparently, Mrs. Desai preferred to deal with whoever was in charge of the shop floor.  In the case of the Rovers it would appear that they have dealt with the manager whenever they could - hence Kean, Bowyer and Mowbray, in particular, have dealt with the owners.  It may not be the way in which business is run here but it as it has worked successfully for them in their other businesses I assume they see no reason to change the model.  We look at Blackburn Rovers as a sporting institution - and rightly so - because it is the club we have followed all our lives.  They see Blackburn Rovers as just another element of their business empire.  The fact that they are still here suggests that they have found a way of making the Rovers work for them in the greater scheme of things.  Either by accident or design it would appear that they have finally found a manager who might, just might make the whole thing work.  Only time will tell but, personally, I'm more optimistic than I have been for some time that we might actually make some progress in the right direction this season.     

So Ian Slivester is doing all contracts? is he the one putting bids in for players Mowbray wants

I agree that Venkys might have found a manager in Mowbray who is happy to the football side of the club and do it his way

45 minutes ago, J*B said:

Couldn't be any happier that Stokes has @#/? off. 

Stokes was huge mistake and I agree with your comment above. 100% spot on

14 minutes ago, meadows said:

I read the same stuff about the folly of giving Mulgrew three years. That now looks a decent shout. Like anyone else I have no idea how players are likely to do over the next season In June or July and I'm quite happy for Mowbray to make those judgement calls 

I

Folly? Mulgrew as much as I love him managed 26 league games last year and on the face of it didn't provide value compared to his probable salary. 

Saying that linked with a1million move away so potential to offset the lost salary value against the fee

3 hours ago, Dunnfc said:

Forget Mavidi I wonder if we can get a loan move in place for Chris Long of Burnley.

Lads a finisher, who will get better, had a bad injury pre Brentford and been hit and missing loan recently but definitely a good 3rd option for up top and with Sammy and Graham we'd be good to go in that department 

How in God's name would it even cross your mind that Barry Kilby would ever sanction a loan to Rovers. He can't stand us and he still has a lot of influence over there even though he resigned the chair due to illness.

3 minutes ago, K-Hod said:

I see his car knocking about all the time (Jag with private reg.). My mate (Burnley fan) met him on a pre-season tour before and Kilby got a few Burnley fans a round of beers in. Later on, he bumped into the same fans and he asked them if they'd enjoyed their beers. My mate told me that that scenario was 'more Alan Partridge than Alan Partridge himself'......

I used to work with Barry and have discussed football with him many times. He doesn't like Rovers and I don't believe he would loan us a player. I don't disbelieve you Meadows but why would he pay for a box when as a football club director he could be a guest in the directors box whenever he wished?

By the way K-Hod you need to brush up on your car recognition. He drives a white Bentley with the registration "K1LBY"

1 minute ago, Al said:

I used to work with Barry and have discussed football with him many times. He doesn't like Rovers and I don't believe he would loan us a player. I don't disbelieve you Meadows but why would he pay for a box when as a football club director he could be a guest in the directors box whenever he wished?

By the way K-Hod you need to brush up on your car recognition. He drives a white Bentley with the registration "K1LBY"

Probably when we were in the Prem and they weren't, entertaining clients.

Just now, meadows said:

nor is Barry chairman of Burnley 

I think if you read my post you will find that I said he resigned the chair due to his illness (prostate cancer). He is now vice chairman. I agree he's a smashing chap but I worked with him in an office he had in the centre of Accrington on Eastgate. He doesn't like Rovers though. I can tell you that from experience.

6 minutes ago, meadows said:

His company was based on East Park Rd. He is a smashing chap. 

Not everybody who follows a football team carries chips on either shoulder. 

So does that mean he had a box in our Prem years ?

38 minutes ago, Al said:

How in God's name would it even cross your mind that Barry Kilby would ever sanction a loan to Rovers. He can't stand us and he still has a lot of influence over there even though he resigned the chair due to illness.

Can't see him caring to much. Probably @#/? of the champers watching his lot take on the PL. 

3 minutes ago, meadows said:

He therefore wouldn't be likely sanction where players go out on loan 

As I asked earlier, wind the clock back....Jutkiewicz and Kightly or Emnes and Joao in August 2016 and Jan 2017? I know which two I'd pick 

Have it your way! Have the last word if you wish! I'd forgotten how argumentative the posters were on this forum.

• Moderation Lead
28 minutes ago, Al said:

Must have been a while since I'd seen him about then!

2 minutes ago, meadows said:

If half a dozen more had performed to his standard in 26 of the games we might have got somewhere 

Wont argue with that. Last bit

However players must generally contribute more than 26 games

Just now, K-Hod said:

Must have been a while since I'd seen him about then!

Actually it's a while since I saw him so you could be right and he transferred the registration on a new car but he loved that Bentley and I wouldn't have thought he would have changed it although it must be ten years old now.

So are we expecting any more perms or is it just loans now? We'd be quite an attractive destination for clubs wanting to send their most talented youngsters, being one of the faves for the league could mean instilling a winning mentality into their players and with good players at this level around them, they could expect to see some good performances.

6 minutes ago, JacknOry said:

So are we expecting any more perms or is it just loans now? We'd be quite an attractive destination for clubs wanting to send their most talented youngsters, being one of the faves for the league could mean instilling a winning mentality into their players and with good players at this level around them, they could expect to see some good performances.

My thoughts exactly. A Premier league manager could send a lad here and he could end up the lone striker in a team set up around getting the ball into him to score goals. Back to his parent club then with a *20 plus goal season* under his belt. I would send a player here before sending them to a Bolton or a Milwall. 

*hypothetically 

Archived