BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Transfers Part 3

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, Parsonblue said:

Getting Nyambe signed up to a long term contract is another excellent piece of business by the club.  

I seem to recall you saying something similar with Lowe. Not sure what you thought when we got Henley on a similar lucrative deal but that hit us hard long term too.

• Backroom
50 minutes ago, AJW said:

So... Caddis makes the perm signings 6 , and if we are correct that means just 2 more coming in on loan only , as the squad stands I thinks we need another striker , somebody who offers something different to what Graham Samuel and Dack (yes I know he's not a striker in the traditional sense) brings maybe a player with a big physical presence , like a Matt Smith type , then I would love to see a good old fashioned left winger , a natural left footer to play out wide , for me he doesn't have to be lightening quick but someone with good delivery who can operate in a 4-4-2 formation should that be required

I'd be happy with just a winger, as I feel Gladwin fills the 'battering ram' role upfront (and even has a neat touch as he does so).

Mowbray seems to have gone down the Bowyer route of 'players with something to prove', let's hope his nous is better than Bowyer's (promising based on last season). I even think I'd prefer our current side in last year's championship season compared to what we actually had.

1 minute ago, Mike E said:

I even think I'd prefer our current side in last year's championship season compared to what we actually had.

I agree - but that depends on whether it stays as it is right now.

42 minutes ago, Mike E said:

I'd be happy with just a winger, as I feel Gladwin fills the 'battering ram' role upfront (and even has a neat touch as he does so).

Mowbray seems to have gone down the Bowyer route of 'players with something to prove', let's hope his nous is better than Bowyer's (promising based on last season). I even think I'd prefer our current side in last year's championship season compared to what we actually had.

If you threw in Gallagher on loan again, I'd agree. Midfield appears to be vastly improved.

But although Gladwin may have some use there, it isn't his natural position and I wouldn't want to rely on him for long. We need a third striker more than we need a 4th winger IMO. We won't always play very wide, with two out and out wingers, and we have cover from full backs and youth players. Feeney is meh but he should prove adequate backup in this league. Conway and Bennett don't seem to see the treatment room as much as Graham does. I'd like another winger, but another striker is essential. Such a key position.

2 hours ago, bluebruce said:

If you threw in Gallagher on loan again, I'd agree. Midfield appears to be vastly improved.

But although Gladwin may have some use there, it isn't his natural position and I wouldn't want to rely on him for long. We need a third striker more than we need a 4th winger IMO. We won't always play very wide, with two out and out wingers, and we have cover from full backs and youth players. Feeney is meh but he should prove adequate backup in this league. Conway and Bennett don't seem to see the treatment room as much as Graham does. I'd like another winger, but another striker is essential. Such a key position.

100% agree, we are still short up front. A hammy for Graham would leave us with 1 striker for several weeks. If we are serious about promotion, then we need to be able to consistently score goals.

2 hours ago, Mike E said:

Mowbray doesn't really play with wingers in the traditional sense. The 3 behind the striker tend to be more central. None of then are hugging the touchline. Gladwin has been bought to play one of those roles, not the 'battering ram' up front type role.

4-4-2 with 2 out and out wingers has all but disappeared from the modern game ,but I think it's nice to have players who can play that as a plan B or even C , Feeney for me can play that role from the right but from the Left all we have is the right footed Conway , who although can cross with his left natural cuts back inside to his more favoured right foot , which 1) slows the attack down and 2) gives defenders chance to turn around and face the play 

8 minutes ago, AJW said:

4-4-2 with 2 out and out wingers has all but disappeared from the modern game ,but I think it's nice to have players who can play that as a plan B or even C , Feeney for me can play that role from the right but from the Left all we have is the right footed Conway , who although can cross with his left natural cuts back inside to his more favoured right foot , which 1) slows the attack down and 2) gives defenders chance to turn around and face the play 

It will be interesting to see what he does with Conway. He looked a lot slimmer on those Prague training pics than the little tubster who turned out last season.

Mowbray might well go 4-4-2 on occasion. He's certainly got good options in midfield.

under Mowbray in pre season we have played 4-2-3-1 and 3-4-2-1 formations. we haven't played 4-4-2 at all from my knowledge.

from the Morecambe cos that the only one Ive seen live. we played 4-2-3-1 formation

Gladwin played from the left and Bennett played from the right and Dack in the 10 role but all 3 players roamed from their positions and come deep sometimes and look to run in behind their defence. Gladwin sometimes went wide and either look to take their full back on down the line and other times look to pass inside and one occasion he cut in and shot which their keeper saved. Williams and Caddis provided the width. Whittingham and Smallwood played the 2 man centre midfield role and they did very well in their role.

17 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

under Mowbray in pre season we have played 4-2-3-1 and 3-4-2-1 formations. we haven't played 4-4-2 at all from my knowledge.

We haven't really had chance to seeing as we've only had 1 proper striker all pre-season.

6 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

That's down to the club and Mowbray to sort not for me. I have trust and faith in Mowbray

If you insist then why is it a secret what Simon Connings player Nyambe is on after what with Simon did to our club over with likes of dollopers Varney and Orr to name just two of many.

No need blaming the manager if the manager is in with the agents.

What was our lad Connor offered.... £1800 per week.

19 minutes ago, Sparks Rover said:

Smallwood ain't the answer. Evans if he says and stays fit is the answer in with Whittingham.  

Smallwood isn't anything special but he will do Whittighams running  and put himself about. Just as capable as that crock Evans in this division. 

I don't know the chap. Never seen him play. Heard bits and bobs about him.

But, somehow, I'm delighted by this signing. The more this summer goes on, the more I have every confidence in Tony Mowbray.

Something has changed at the Rovers. I've never had such elation during the close season for many, many years.

I just cannot wait for this season to start.

Let's just hope our owners allow it to continue. Fingers crossed.

32 minutes ago, JAL said:

Are you saying Smallwood is shyte ?

I am saying he is no better than tomlinson and not in the same class as evans.   He's just ok.  I expect him to be on the bench if we are at full strength as of today.

However, Evans will probably go and we are left with an ok replacement.  

6 minutes ago, bazza said:

I don't know the chap. Never seen him play. Heard bits and bobs about him.

But, somehow, I'm delighted by this signing. The more this summer goes on, the more I have every confidence in Tony Mowbray.

Something has changed at the Rovers. I've never had such elation during the close season for many, many years.

I just cannot wait for this season to start.

Let's just hope our owners allow it to continue. Fingers crossed.

I think he is going to be a good un. Big strong direct, a bit rough around the edges but could be a good foil for Danny and a nice little through ball for Bradley.

Had no trouble with the Morecambe defence and got into good scoring positions. 

Archived