BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Joe Nuttall

Stuart

Mowbray has a decision to make here as he seems to prefer playing a lone striker away from home. If he sticks to that principle it would be a straight choice between Graham and Nuttall who clearly are better playing that role.

I can't see him changing any of the back five who have been together for some time now and seem to have developed some level of understanding (despite individual errors). I think Whittingham needs to start in his best position and Bennett needs to start.

It will be another tough evening and I will take a cliff hanging, scabby 1-0 win.

• Replies 421
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, Reidy You're a Star said:

Personally, the players that have been playing well recently mean that the formation picks itself and doesn't really lend itself to Nutall starting, as he's not a natural one-up-top sort of striker. He's better in a 2 which means either moving or dropping Dack, who's been our best player of late. Or, playing a 3 man midfield with Dack in behind 2 strikers, which means Antonsson and Bennett get dropped, both of whom are playing well.  Having too many players playing well is a good problem to have though.

Odd opening statement as we have won 3 out of 3 with Nuttall starting.

Listened to an interview with Mowbray on Radio Lancs this week when he said the Mahoney situation had developed before he got here but wouldn't have if he'd been here earlier. 

He then went to say that Nuttall needs to realise where his career will develop better rather than look for money. Could it be Rovers have offered terms and Nuttall has declined them? 

5 minutes ago, dingles staying down 4ever said:

Listened to an interview with Mowbray on Radio Lancs this week when he said the Mahoney situation had developed before he got here but wouldn't have if he'd been here earlier. 

He then went to say that Nuttall needs to realise where his career will develop better rather than look for money. Could it be Rovers have offered terms and Nuttall has declined them? 

Very simplistic and disingenuous of Mowbray to try to link Mahoney and Nuttall and say it’s all about money. Mahoney was messed about, called up, dropped, encouraged, dismissed, all in equal measure - largely because of the managerial merry-go-round. Yet the Facebook types turned completely against Conor - in think he is affectionately know as ‘snake’. The same will happen with Nuttall if the lad isn’t given time in the first team.

Exoerienced players who clubs spend money on are given time and are allowed to ride through bad periods of form, yet young players have to come in and deliver every single week or they “aren’t good enough”. He didn’t score yesterday so his contribution is ignored and ‘he would benefit from a rest’.

Then you look at a player like Lowe who failed week after week after week and he got time - and even the captaincy. Even while Mulgrew was playing for us! Last season we were in one of our worst Venkys season with our second worst Venkys manager. Is it any wonder Conor didn’t want to stay for the pittance offered, emotionally blackmailed over his love of the club by a vocal section of fans. We are one Venkys decision away from another disaster, and the manager keeps talking about him negatively in public. Nuttall would be wise to choose carefully. Personally I hope he stays.

4 minutes ago, Stuart said:

Very simplistic and disingenuous of Mowbray to try to link Mahoney and Nuttall and say it’s all about money. Mahoney was messed about, called up, dropped, encouraged, dismissed, all in equal measure - largely because of the managerial merry-go-round. Yet the Facebook types turned completely against Conor - in think he is affectionately know as ‘snake’. The same will happen with Nuttall if the lad isn’t given time in the first team.

Exoerienced players who clubs spend money on are given time and are allowed to ride through bad periods of form, yet young players have to come in and deliver every single week or they “aren’t good enough”. He didn’t score yesterday so his contribution is ignored and ‘he would benefit from a rest’.

Then you look at a player like Lowe who failed week after week after week and he got time - and even the captaincy. Even while Mulgrew was playing for us! Last season we were in one of our worst Venkys season with our second worst Venkys manager. Is it any wonder Conor didn’t want to stay for the pittance offered, emotionally blackmailed over his love of the club by a vocal section of fans. We are one Venkys decision away from another disaster, and the manager keeps talking about him negatively in public. Nuttall would be wise to choose carefully. Personally I hope he stays.

Listening to Mowbray, it was definitely an odd interview. If it was an attempt to keep Nuttall's feet on the ground I don't know. If it was an attempt at getting him to realise he was in the last chance saloon as a professional footballer and he should be grateful if a new contract appears then it was a poor attempt.

The Conor situation was brought up by Andy Bayes rather than Mowbray but it help to make it appear that Mowbray hoped that Nuttall would stay but wasn't overly bothered if he did not.

Nobody on here had anything good to say about Nuttall when we first signed him, so if he goes, don't go blaming the manager who was apparently wrong in the first place.

I like it when the criticism starts switching to irrelevant interviews and the like. It usually means we're doing well on the pitch.

Just now, Stuart said:

I don't agree on that point Stuart. We should be picking the team that is going to perform the best at Blackpool on Tuesday night. Not the team that is going to keep the most number of players happy.

42 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I don't agree on that point Stuart. We should be picking the team that is going to perform the best at Blackpool on Tuesday night. Not the team that is going to keep the most number of players happy.

Ironically, I think that’s exactly how Mowbray currently picks his teams.

1 hour ago, Phil T said:

Nobody on here had anything good to say about Nuttall when we first signed him, so if he goes, don't go blaming the manager who was apparently wrong in the first place.

I like it when the criticism starts switching to irrelevant interviews and the like. It usually means we're doing well on the pitch.

Don't go there as things aren't perfect on the pitch either. We've won 3 games on the bounce which if hiding the fact that Mowbray still has to solve most of the problems he inherited.

All Mowbray had to say was at the moment Joe needs to concentrate on his football and we'll take it from there. No need to mumble on for 10 minutes and keep digging a hole for himself. 

3 hours ago, Phil T said:

What a stupid argument. So because nobody had heard of him but most now quite like him we shouldn't be upset if he goes because we didn't know anything about him when he came.

And Mowbray didn't find him, Johnson did. Which doesn't say much for Mowbray's signings if the 1st choice is someone signed for the U23's by the U23 manager.

7 minutes ago, Reidy You're a Star said:

Yes, we've won 3 out of 3, and that's great, but that wasn't my point. My point was he's better in a two, so if we are going to play one up front, then Graham is more suited that role.

Sorry, have to disagree. The days of Graham up front on his own are long gone, just like his legs. He needs runners of him close by to do his running. It was why his best game this season was against Pompey where he had Dack and Chapman running off him.

Coming on as sub, oppostion defenders have tired and so he can play at a similr level.

26 minutes ago, dingles staying down 4ever said:

Sorry, have to disagree. The days of Graham up front on his own are long gone, just like his legs. He needs runners of him close by to do his running. It was why his best game this season was against Pompey where he had Dack and Chapman running off him.

Coming on as sub, oppostion defenders have tired and so he can play at a similr level.

...where he was up front on his own.

Just now, Biz said:

Tommy Johnson? Or Damien Johnson? Where have you read that.

Holly Johnson. Not really. Damien.

On Nuttall’s journey from trialist to first team star, Mowbray added: “We were in Austria when he played his first game and Damien (Johnson) phoned me and said they had a lad in on trial who had scored a hat-trick and they liked him and we should be trying to sign him.

“I trusted Damien’s professionalism and understanding of the game and said if you like him that much then we should progress it if he’s done that well.

http://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/rovers/news/15683508._He_feels_really_comfortable_here____Rovers_boss_Tony_Mowbray_believes_Joe_Nuttall_is_at_the_right_place_to_maximise_his_potential/?ref=mac

8 minutes ago, Biz said:

Tommy Johnson? Or Damien Johnson? Where have you read that.

Does Tommy Johnson still work for the club?Or is he just being paid until his contract runs out?

Mowbray's comments about how his summer recruitment was mainly players who he knew from either playing for him or against suggests Tommy Johnson didn't have much to do with recruitment.

Also there was an article in the telegraph where Mowbray said he was waiting for the green light from the owners to overhaul our scouting department

3 hours ago, blueboy3333 said:

...where he was up front on his own.

No he wasn't, they played more like a front three rather than a front one. For the majority of the season, Graham has been isolated where he had his back to goal and trying to hold the ball up. Against Pompey he had players close to him so he had players to pass to quickly so could the ball moving rather than having to hold the ball and wait for players to join him. We are that slow that it takes an eternity for this to happen.

• Backroom

Feel there's a player there, felt bad for him yesterday he was feeding off scraps and barely got a touch around their box but when he dropped deep he did everything sensibly with the ball.

Graham came on with a bit of a centre forward masterclass, Nuttall could learn a hell of a lot from him.

He absolutely looks good enough for this level and having bagged a couple in the league is well worth having around the team.

12 hours ago, Tom said:

Feel there's a player there, felt bad for him yesterday he was feeding off scraps and barely got a touch around their box but when he dropped deep he did everything sensibly with the ball.

Graham came on with a bit of a centre forward masterclass, Nuttall could learn a hell of a lot from him.

He absolutely looks good enough for this level and having bagged a couple in the league is well worth having around the team.

Agree that I think there's a player in there, but that said I'm taking a lot of comfort from the fact that he's only 20. He's still obviously very raw, but looks reasonable enough at leading the line especially for such a young player (although I remember a certain Scottish journalist saying the same thing on here about Franco Di Santo!)

Players get through a lot of developing from 19/20 to 22/23, which he'll need to imo if he'll be contributing for us in the higher division.

He's worth persisting with for sure, I just think he needs taking out of the firing line for a game or two. Not many young lads just walk into a starting position and stay there permanently so early in their career. Put him on the bench tomorrow and bring him on if needed. 

At  least he appears to have motivated Samuel and Graham.

He runs around alot and works hard but dear me needs to improve his play, particulalrly with his back to goal. Potential is there certainly but looks the sort of lad rather like Josh King whose game won't mature till he's 25 or so. Can we wait that long? 

Just now, nathan_rovers1 said:

Am I right in thinking that he has scored 4 goals in 5 senior appearances? 

Of course he needs to improve, but so do all players but give him the chance he's only 20.

Is it only me that thinks a man who has been playing football everyday probably from the day he could walk, been trained by the best with all the best facilities with a couple of seasons playing first team football should be ready whenever the chance comes. This he's only 20 . He's physically mature and not a kid. I think he should be judged the same as any new signing of any age. 

14 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

He runs around alot and works hard but dear me needs to improve his play, particulalrly with his back to goal. Potential is there certainly but looks the sort of lad rather like Josh King whose game won't mature till he's 25 or so. Can we wait that long? 

As long as he's used sensibly i'd say so, a major nut was dropped with King but to get a player up to speed for regular league 1 level should be far less of an ask. If by any chance we got promoted he could be worth a few quid to sell back to a league 1 club if he can't hack the Champ or be handy for us again if we went back down :huh:

Nuttall has started in 4 of the last 6 games (league and cup) and come on as sub in 2. He scored 4 goals and we are unbeaten in those games W4 D2 L0. What more do people want from him?

His involvement is valuable to the team, whether scoring or softening up defenders or motivating supposedly better, certainly more experienced, strikers.

There are plenty of things to criticise, right now Joe Nuttall is the least of them.

Archived