BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Mulgrew injured and subbed

Mercer

Just now, RV Blue said:

If they have been injured you are chopping and changing because you have to. If you are chopping and changing them because your midfielders are injured then the problem is that you don't have enough midfielders, not that you don't have enough centre backs, FFS!!!!!!!! 

But we aren't chopping and changing our midfielders. We are chopping and changing our CB's because they are injured and were predicted to be so all summer. It isn't difficult.

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, blueboy3333 said:

But we aren't chopping and changing our midfielders. We are chopping and changing our CB's because they are injured and were predicted to be so all summer. It isn't difficult.

When Evans gets injured, we will be chopping and changing our midfielders though, and we'll be relying on Whittingham to not be sh1t (big ask).

2 minutes ago, RV Blue said:

When Evans gets injured, we will be chopping and changing our midfielders though, and we'll be relying on Whittingham to not be sh1t (big ask).

https://www.google.ie/search?q=most+assists+by+a+championship+player+past+10+seasons+peter+whittingham&spell=1&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwialsbo8o3WAhWqCcAKHa0aDF0QvwUIJCgA&biw=1366&bih=662

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

Would you have sold them? :) 

That's a straw man style argument but I'll answer it anyway. I wouldn't have sold Mulgrew but I might have sold Lenihan if the right offer had come along and the money was ring fenced for further team strengthening. As I said earlier signing another reliable centre half  should have been higher on our list of priorities than getting in the two kids from Liverpool and West Brom.

Just now, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

That's a straw man style argument but I'll answer it anyway. I wouldn't have sold Mulgrew but I might have sold Lenihan if the right offer had come along and the money was ring fenced for further team strengthening. As I said earlier signing another reliable centre half  should have been higher on our list of priorities than getting in the two kids from Liverpool and West Brom.

But not cheaper. I think its quite obvious that there was no money for new players until the club had successfully got someone out of the door. Lenihan was the 'big sale' until his injury made that impossible, they then turned their attentions to Danny Graham with rumours we were hawking him around the Championship the week before the window shut, and when no interest was forthcoming the next one on the list was Liam Feeney. Nobody was daft enough to buy him but someone agreed to take him on loan for a while, thereby freeing up a chunk of his wages but no fee.

Feeney won't be on peanuts here, probably more than most Championship clubs would pay him, so even if Cardiff are only making a small percentage contribution it will have freed up some limited scope on the wage bill for some new arrivals.

Can see the attraction to Cardiff. They're probably paying very little to get an experienced player to fill up the squad for the next few months just incase injuries bite.

Given the lateness of Cardiff's interest we had very little time to line up our own targets and given a lack of sale not much room to manoeuvre on the wages. Hence why we quickly got 3 lads in on next to nothing.

Some people want to live in a parallel dimension and believe there was a few hundred grand sat on Mowbrays desk ready to spend but unfortunately Sheff Utd beat us to it and scuppered those plans. I personally think that is nonsense and the only way we would have signed him was if we had sold Lenihan or Graham or very optimistically Feeney.

Hence an all to familiar tale of running around at the 11th hour filling the squad up.

I'm sure Mowbray would have liked another reliable CB through the door but he didn't have the budget or time to do it, so in the end had to bring in whoever he could. West Brom, MK and Liverpool are all likely to have done us a big favour with these deals and our outlay will be minimal.

1 hour ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

How and when should they get first team experience?

Jones got it while we were in the Premier league 

Not sure Scott Wharton and Platt are comparable to Phil Jones and even Hanley but I'd be happy to be proven wrong. Platt and Wharton need to be playing regular first team football so loaning them out should have been the way too go. 

Just now, Butty said:

Not sure Scott Wharton and Platt are comparable to Phil Jones and even Hanley but I'd be happy to be proven wrong. Platt and Wharton need to be playing regular first team football so loaning them out should have been the way too go. 

Loan them where? Wharton had a league 2 loan already 

The fact that there has been no update on Mulgrew suggests to me that either he has been scanned and we are awaiting the results or he is to be scanned soon.

If this was a 'mere knock', I'm pretty sure we would have had the 'Charlie has picked up a knock but we are hopeful for the weekend'.

We were probably arguing with Motherwell about less than £100k. Absolute chicken s h i t in the scheme of things and if Mulgrew is crocked and out for some time, the cost to Rovers is likely to be many, many times that £100k.

You say that like we are the stumbling block and us offering 100k more means motherwell instantly snap our hands off and the player cant sign quick enough.

He knows rovers arent going away and deadline day is imminent, so just sits tight waiting to see what happens with his agent probably telling him a few championship clubs are interessted also.

Then it unfolds and Shef Utfd bid and the rest is history. Rovers dont hold all the power in these deals

TBH I've seen him go off injured a few times thinking damm that looks bad, only for him to play the next game.

Great player, but clearly has the pain threshold of a 6yr old girl. Wouldnt suprise me if he plays v Rochdale  and we have all wasted 5 pages arguing for nowt :blink:

3 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

That isn't what i meant. I meant for their development, where should they go? I think here is the best place for them 

A season or two of Regular League 2 or even conference football would do them both the world of good. Would toughen them up that's for sure :lol: 

Just now, Butty said:

A season or two of Regular League 2 or even conference football would do them both the world of good. Would toughen them up that's for sure :lol: 

It sure would. It appears to me that our under 23s are so good, that it looks like ,for some reason, we are keeping them together there. You are right though, a loan to that type of level would be far more valuable to toughen them up. The under 23s looks to be a lot of skinny little whippets. The thing is though that we are arguably at a good level for them to come in for the first team now. 

36 minutes ago, FGS5635 said:

You say that like we are the stumbling block and us offering 100k more means motherwell instantly snap our hands off and the player cant sign quick enough.

He knows rovers arent going away and deadline day is imminent, so just sits tight waiting to see what happens with his agent probably telling him a few championship clubs are interessted also.

Then it unfolds and Shef Utfd bid and the rest is history. Rovers dont hold all the power in these deals

You get in early and close the deal before anyone else gets a sniff.  Hardly rocket science.

4 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

He played there for Bristol city in League 1 when they won promotion. 

How do you give youngsters like Wharton and Platt their chance? If we were in the Premier league would you bat an eyelid if either of them went on loan to a League 1 club? 

The idea of sending them out is to give them experience and for them to become better players. We just can't afford the risks by playing them in what I believe to be a serious promotion challenge. The weight of expectation would be too much for them I believe.

5 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

He played there for Bristol city in League 1 when they won promotion. 

Williams is 5ft 11  and played on the left side of a back three with two big centre halves , one of which was over 6ft 5in.

Ive said all summer that we needed a big centre half as neither Lenihan or Mulgrew is dominant in the air. I don't think they are a great pairing. Every time the opposition get a corner I'm looking at our team thinking "who have we go who is going to get their head on this". 

Im not being clever after the event as I've said this for months.

As for who should we have signed, funnily enough I'm not paid to scout players from all league in this country and other countries. Therefore I can't give a name. 

56 minutes ago, arbitro said:

The idea of sending them out is to give them experience and for them to become better players. We just can't afford the risks by playing them in what I believe to be a serious promotion challenge. The weight of expectation would be too much for them I believe.

Maybe, maybe not. 

7 minutes ago, Hasta said:

Williams is 5ft 11  and played on the left side of a back three with two big centre halves , one of which was over 6ft 5in.

Ive said all summer that we needed a big centre half as neither Lenihan or Mulgrew is dominant in the air. I don't think they are a great pairing. Every time the opposition get a corner I'm looking at our team thinking "who have we go who is going to get their head on this". 

Im not being clever after the event as I've said this for months.

As for who should we have signed, funnily enough I'm not paid to scout players from all league in this country and other countries. Therefore I can't give a name. 

Ward is big and has been good in the air from what I have seen so far. On the ground I am concerned! 

It seems to be a theme that everyone is saying our signings weren't the right ones, yet they offer no alternatives. They use the "its not my job" or "I'm not a scout" line. No, but you all have opinions on who isn't good enough. So why not give suggestions as to who you believe would have been the ideal center half for us? 

There's a hundred and one centre halves out there better options than Paul Downing.

Again, what was asked was a centre half to strengthen the first 11. What we got was a centre half that was a back up. A back up to an injury prone Ward, Mulgrew & Lenihan.

I'd have gone all out for Dan Burn from Wigan personally. Great young player.

29 minutes ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

There's a hundred and one centre halves out there better options than Paul Downing.

Again, what was asked was a centre half to strengthen the first 11. What we got was a centre half that was a back up. A back up to an injury prone Ward, Mulgrew & Lenihan.

I'd have gone all out for Dan Burn from Wigan personally. Great young player.

You have never seen the guy play! Do you not realize how ridiculous your definitive statements sound? 

Ya, Dan Burn does look decent. Big unit as well. Have you seen him play? ;) 

Archived