BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

World Cup 2018

Why this lovein over colombia? Theyre not brazil 1970..we are just as good as them..we have kane..they have james..it will come down to which of those 2 players turn up..this is a 50/50 game..they are NOT superior.  That said i just know we will blow it.

30 minutes ago, roverandout said:

Go and watch brazil then if you hate watching england so much..i for one am staying positive till its over

25 minutes ago, roverandout said:

Why this lovein over colombia? Theyre not brazil 1970..we are just as good as them..we have kane..they have james..it will come down to which of those 2 players turn up..this is a 50/50 game..they are NOT superior.  That said i just know we will blow it.

Staying positive, yeah? ?

• Like 1

12 hours ago, jim mk2 said:

Seen it all before....young talent, planning ahead, new generation,  it'll be better next time, jam tomorrow etc etc. Apart from 1990 (when a good England team was very unlucky)  and the 1996 Euros (which we should have won), it's been one catastrophic failure after another.

Some of us have been waiting since 1966 for the ship to come in. Time for England to deliver

I saw us in 1966 and also waiting since then for a major trophy.

I have watched a lot of England youth games over the past 2 or so years and we do have a lot of real talent coming through. 

The future is bright if those emerging youngsters get into the game at PL level. That is the problem as Sky have made the PL so rich that these Clubs by ready oven players usually from abroad and our players become squaddies or lower league.

Anyway I'm up for tonight so come on England! As long as we give it our best shot I'm ok.

1 hour ago, roverandout said:

The lad who plays forward down the right for Colombia is a danger.

Harry will score, that's almost a given.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, J*B said:

Harsh to put Hoddle in the poor manager category. 

Probably not as bad as McClaren and Keegan, but still complacent and lazy as his comments after the penalty debacle showed. 

He was also another ex-player with an inflated sense of his self-worth and not intelligent enough to realise his remarks about the disabled were unacceptable. . 

• Like 1

Just now, AllRoverAsia said:

Harry will score, that's almost a given.

That's Kane cursed tonight then.

Colombia journalists outraged at today's press conferences that questions from English reporters were more about our next opponents than Colombia.

There is also anger in Colombia at today's Sun lead story headline, which references drugs. 

English arrogance and exceptionalism is all building up to another disappointment tonight.

1 hour ago, roverandout said:

The players aren't as good as the media keep telling us. That's why we keep blowing up at competitions.

Just now, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

The players aren't as good as the media keep telling us. That's why we keep blowing up at competitions.

It's because they play in the over-hyped Premler League, which we are constantly told is the best league in the world. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jim mk2 said:

Disagree.

We've had managers with good club records (Revie, Hodgson, Eriksson), thrown money at the problem (Capello), and hired poor managers just because they were English (Keegan, Hoddle).

In short, apart from unlucky misses with Robson and Venables, nothing has worked, suggesting the system is at fault rather than the man in charge.

Southgate is intelligent and is trying a different approach by building success from the junior teams upwards. He deserves the job as much as anyone and a fair crack at the job. I'd keep him for another 4 years even if England go out tonight. 

Based on his CV and his poor work with Boro and England U21s, youd struggle to argue that he necessarily deserve to be appointed. Now hes in situ and hes done something a bit exciting and is showing promising signs, we may have stumbled across something.

However, he is trying an exciting approach, however as with anyone he will be judged on results, if we crash out tonight hes underachieved. With philosophies etc, im a bit dubious, some managers have complicated/exciting ideas and philosophies that dont work in reality, or become a martyr to them. If we do poorly you could argue we would be better off with a more regimented, organisation based manager.

That said, I do think you need a long term plan, my point is its not always the current one and you cant become too detached from the importance of results.

43 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I know we arent world class but this team is definately the best we have had since 06. I am believing till 8.45pm

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

Colombia journalists outraged at today's press conferences that questions from English reporters were more about our next opponents than Colombia.

There is also anger in Colombia at today's Sun lead story headline, which references drugs. 

English arrogance and exceptionalism is all building up to another disappointment tonight.

It's all media hype as usual.

I don't suspect they were outraged at the Spanish TV and them having a piece about the murder of Escobar (the football player) and the connections to his namesake.

3 hours ago, roverandout said:

What love in? We are slight favourites but they are a good team and it wont be easy.

• Like 1

• Moderation Lead

Somebody was saying on the radio today that if James Rodriguez plays they are slight favourites, if he doesn't play England are slight favourites.

To be fair, this is near enough exactly what the Colombian press are saying....

• Backroom
4 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

In that recent TV programme about England managers one of the former players said that some of Hoddles team were put out because he could still do things in training that they couldn't. That says a lot about the players.

And also that he was a @#/? for saying disabled people must be paying for sins in another life.

• Like 1

Somebody was saying on the radio today that if James Rodriguez plays they are slight favourites, if he doesn't play England are slight favourites.

Im not sure about that personally as James surely wont be 100% fit either way. Theyve got 3 or 4 that arent at quite the same level as the rest of the team but they are so dangerous going forward. 

I think Cuadrado could cause us problems, with the contrasting formations of 4-2-3-1 v 3 at the back. His pace and directness needs to be somehow prevented.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, AllRoverAsia said:

Typical of the Japanese, clean and tidy and polite just like their country. 

Imagine our lot cleaning up the mess they leave behind ? 

Edited by jim mk2
  • Like 1

• Backroom
Just now, roversfan99 said:

Im not sure about that personally as James surely wont be 100% fit either way. Theyve got 3 or 4 that arent at quite the same level as the rest of the team but they are so dangerous going forward. 

I think Cuadrado could cause us problems, with the contrasting formations of 4-2-3-1 v 3 at the back. His pace and directness needs to be somehow prevented.

I agree there. Tonight's game is about 3 things:

1. Can we combat their effective directness against a back 3?

2. Can they cope with our set pieces?

3. Will England manage any open play goals, or at least pin back dome of their pace?

• Like 2

Just now, Mike E said:

3. Will England manage any open play goals, or at least pin back dome of their pace?

Agreed. On point 3, we create lots of good chances even in open play but we need to be far more ruthless, especially in the knockout rounds.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Mike E said:

Add number 4. - The crowd - they will be largely against us (ironically we might even have more 'Russian support' than English).

The Colombian fans will be screaming loudly for VAR at every available opportunity.

I hope the ref is strong.