BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] The January 2018 transfer thread

J*B

• Backroom
14 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Dont see him leaving. 

Why go Norwich when their selling best players like Pritchard, Jerome and possible Maddison. Massive cutbacks and a club struggling to get playoffs. 

Plus with us going for promotion and very likely to get top 2 and be a Championship club next season..why move after 6 months?

At this point I wouldn't say we are very likely to get top 2.

Norwich would likely be attractive to him, closer to his old stomping ground, likely more money.

I don't doubt he would choose them over us I just hope we wouldn't let it get that far 

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Tom said:

Norwich would likely be attractive to him, closer to his old stomping ground, likely more money.

I don't doubt he would choose them over us I just hope we wouldn't let it get that far 

To be honest if we don't get two with the squad we have now then something is very wrong.

On paper we should definitely be getting promoted.We where far better than Shrewsbury last weekend.

I was worried we where over reliant on Dack but with the signings of Armstrong and in particular of Payne we look to have an abundance of attacking options. I would definitely see us as favourites to finish in the top two now 

35 minutes ago, islander200 said:

To be honest if we don't get two with the squad we have now then something is very wrong.

On paper we should definitely be getting promoted.We where far better than Shrewsbury last weekend.

I was worried we where over reliant on Dack but with the signings of Armstrong and in particular of Payne we look to have an abundance of attacking options. I would definitely see us as favourites to finish in the top two now 

Agree. I know it's just the going up that counts, but I'd be dissapointed if we don't go up as champions now. Can't see Wigan going on an especially bad run of form, but they certainly look capable of dropping points here and there, and now we've got a bit more pace and attacking talent I think we've got enough to catch and overtake them.

50 minutes ago, Tom said:

Likely Money? Norwich are making big cutbacks in terms on money spent and wages. 

2 minutes ago, Admiral Nelsen said:

Agree. I know it's just the going up that counts, but I'd be dissapointed if we don't go up as champions now. Can't see Wigan going on an especially bad run of form, but they certainly look capable of dropping points here and there, and now we've got a bit more pace and attacking talent I think we've got enough to catch and overtake them.

Wigan arent playing well and speaking to a friend who attend the Wigan Peterbrough game they should have got beaten by Peterbrough. 

2 hours ago, islander200 said:

Cairney.Gestede are two.

I don't think we will sell Dack this window in saying that every player has their price wether your Manchester United or Blackburn Rovers.

I just don't see any club paying what it would take for Venkys to sell Dack at this point.

Two players doesn't make it "our model" :D

3 hours ago, Biz said:

The “bean counters” would be foolish not to look at the potential of increasing our windfall further by being promoted and/or selling after a longer period of success on the pitch - especially when the contract ink is still drying.

I think we’d agree; Its not a financially “sensible” deal to sell someone for a few million profit when 12 more wins pretty much guarantees double that. I don’t think the current climate is comparable to any “Rao model” because they’ve never been consistent in decision making. Especially considering we aren’t the same multi million pound loss making exercise of yesteryear! Just the burden of past mistakes to consider, and since the majority of debt is owed to the family themselves, I doubt they’d be issuing more share capital as recently as January, if they had ambitions of paying it back by small transfer gains.

If Norwich are intent on paying the sums that Dreams spoke of, I’d expect him to leave because it’s a different proposition; a years debt covered + a few bob on transfers.

Not that id be happy in any way if Brad leaves, he’s been a revalation in some ways, an ode to a younger David Dunn and a “talismanic” appeal to support.

Our windfall only comes if we reach the PL. I guess your view of an offer for Dack needs to take into account the likelihood that we would consolidate in the Championship - let alone challenge for promotion. How would L1 promotion (minimal prize money) and then 21st in the Championship stack up in pound note terms vs a £5m sale now and taking our chances with the (supposedly brilliant - if untried here) loanees?

Plus, in the Championship our costs will increase.

Just now, Stuart said:

Our windfall only comes if we reach the PL. I guess your view of an offer for Dack needs to take into account the likelihood that we would consolidate in the Championship - let alone challenge for promotion. How would L1 promotion (minimal prize money) and then 21st in the Championship stack up in pound note terms vs a £5m sale now and taking our chances with the (supposedly brilliant - if untried here) loanees?

I’m quite sure that competing in the championship is 2 or 3 times the yearly sponsorship fee for league one, regardless of position finished. I think we’d sell 5x as many away tickets over the season and likely pick up another couple of million on Friday/Saturday evening schedule games.

There is no doubt that costs will go up but the financial jump between championship and league one has widened in recent years.

23 minutes ago, Stuart said:

We would still get a decent fee for Dack in the summer if we didn't go up though?It would just make absolutely no sense to sell him now unless crazy money was offered 

7 minutes ago, islander200 said:

We would still get a decent fee for Dack in the summer if we didn't go up though?It would just make absolutely no sense to sell him now unless crazy money was offered 

‘Crazy money’ is subjective.

2 minutes ago, Stuart said:

‘Crazy money’ is subjective.

So do you think that Dack will be gone by the end of the window?

There has been no bid. A four line piece in the football titbit column is all it was.

We would get more for Dack if we got promoted anyway and if we don't get promoted we will still get a decent fee for him. 

He isn't going anywhere this window 

4 hours ago, Stuart said:

Brave man.

Personally I think Armstrong and Payne coming in is a very telling sign.

Our model seems to be loan a player then If he does well, sign him, and then sell as soon as we have a decent offer in. As a business model it’s great. As a football model it is very risky and unlikely to contribute to success on the pitch. Certainly not mid-season sales.

Bean-counters rule at Ewood...

Eh, what you on about Stuart? Who have we loaned in who we've then signed permanently and gone on to sell as soon as we could?

I bloody well wish other Clubs had come in with huge offers for DJ Campbell and "Reg" Varney! 

Plus there isn't the slightest suggestion we are gearing up to sell Dack. Antonsson has an injury and we need cover for Sir Bradley in case of injury.  We get the players in we need and people are whinging Dack will be sold! 

We resisted offers for our better paid players in summer when everyone expected them to leave so why would we sell our talisman now when we're looking extremely good for automatic promotion?

Maybe if we'd "done a Lambert" and played ourselves completely out of promotion contention over the Christmas period it could be a consideration but surely not as things stand.

3 hours ago, JacknOry said:

I think it would be the final nail for me. Finally a season of cheer and they could derail it with yet another appalling decision. As Biz said, it would take a monumental offer in League 1 terms. Probably the best player in the league for me in an attacking sense and for putting bums on seats.

Wonderful piece of business for us to get him and he will no doubt turn a huge profit at one point. There is just no reasoning for it to be now. Whatever they bid now, even if it was ten million, we would still get that or possibly more in today's market once we are in the Championship.

Past experience suggests they may cash in on Dack now... And replace with loans - hence why we are probably paying a fair bit for Payne/Armstrong. 

It will be a good indication if where we are heading. New dawn or the more things change, the more they stay the same.. 

9 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Pity the Bell deal appears to have fallen through. Using the same logic people are employing about Dack it must have meant Manchester United were poised with a 50m swoop for Williams.

Where have you seen about the Bell deal being off?

Just now, islander200 said:

Where have you seen about the Bell deal being off?

May be mistaken. Read a comment by another poster the player didn't want to come and assumed it had been called off.

Either way If he's hovering over coming, I'd say move on. Playing for Fleetwood it's likely his loss more than ours.

51 minutes ago, Wing Wizard Windy Miller said:

Past experience suggests they may cash in on Dack now... And replace with loans - hence why we are probably paying a fair bit for Payne/Armstrong. 

It will be a good indication if where we are heading. New dawn or the more things change, the more they stay the same.. 

Got to say, it is a worry for me-only based on past experience. But it would be like a kick in the guts to all those, who have allowed themselves to hope again.

Archived