BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] The January 2018 transfer thread

J*B

1 hour ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Maybe if we'd "done a Lambert" and played ourselves completely out of promotion contention over the Christmas period it could be a consideration but surely not as things stand.

We were never in promotion contention that season, so don't see how Lambert gets criticism for playing us out of contention.

We loaned Cairney and Gestede, signed them up after impressive starts, then sold them as soon as other clubs showed interest for a big profit and pocketed the proceeds. It was only 2-3 years ago, and it indirectly cost us our Championship status, so there's a clear history of these wretched owners doing what people are afraid of. 

Might not happen, might not even be any interest in Dack, but please lets not pretend it hasn't happened before under these people.

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Leonard Venkhater said:

Got to say, it is a worry for me-only based on past experience. But it would be like a kick in the guts to all those, who have allowed themselves to hope again.

Not aimed at you specifically but got to have something to complain about eh? If those players aren't signed we haven't brought in the reinforcements we need.

If we do, it must be because we're selling Dack.

18 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

May be mistaken. Read a comment by another poster the player didn't want to come and assumed it had been called off.

Either way If he's hovering over coming, I'd say move on. Playing for Fleetwood it's likely his loss more than ours.

I think he was only joking.Id be thinking it will go ahead seeing as we let Hart go to Rochdale today

Just now, JHRover said:

We were never in promotion contention that season, so don't see how Lambert gets criticism for playing us out of contention.

We loaned Cairney and Gestede, signed them up after impressive starts, then sold them as soon as other clubs showed interest for a big profit and pocketed the proceeds. It was only 2-3 years ago, and it indirectly cost us our Championship status, so there's a clear history of these wretched owners doing what people are afraid of. 

Might not happen, might not even be any interest in Dack, but please lets not pretend it hasn't happened before under these people.

Course we were in promotion contention under Lambert. After his impressive opening 5 games we were within two points of the play offs with 25 games to go.  Then the wheels fell off.

I must admit I didn't realise Cairney came here on loan initially. However I don't think there are many parallels between either him or Gestede and Dack. Cairney whilst very good at times was somewhat in and out and was nowhere near as pivotal for us back then as Dack is now. Also he was sold at the end of a season when the team as a whole had failed to make much impression. Not in the middle of a promotion campaign when we looked like going up.

Gestede had allegedly been unhappy and agitating for a move for some time. We hung onto him initially but eventually took a very decent price for him.

9 minutes ago, JHRover said:

Agreed with Cairney but as far as I remember we did try to keep hold of Gestede only for him to throw his toys out of the pram and refused to play?

In the past Venkys would have sold the player and not reinvested in the squad.We have spent big money for this level this year and I just don't see them selling our best player at this stage when promotion is so important. 

Dack' s value isn't going to decrease drastically between now and the end of the season so if they are thinking of cashing in it won't be now.

We kept all our best paid players in the summer and have added to the squad I just don't see them being stupid enough to let out best player go now. 

I'm not sticking up for Venkys or think they deserve a chance for spending a few quid I still want them out as much as the next fan

2 hours ago, bluebruce said:

Wondering if anyone has the answer to two questions...

Did we ever come to an agreement or tribunal fee over Mahoney?

Does anyone know what we are meant to have paid for Downing?

1st question is no agreement in place according to Rich Sharpe. 

2nd question no idea. Possible 100k to 150k. Maybe not even that

I think it’s pretty clear mogga ain’t going for wingers, I can see us deploying a 433 similar to

raya

nyambe. Downing Mulgrew bell

Lenihan 

Smallwood  Bennett 

dack                          Payne 

Graham 

With subs/ injury call ups to Williams, Whittingham, Armstrong, Conway, samuels 

Haven’t seen Travis or Tomlinson so can’t comment 

Chapman/ Antonsson long term injuries

I think Evans/caddis/ward and the Canadian keeper who we got so we could cancel international weekends can be booted.

Controversial but I’d also get in Ross turnbull as a safe pair of hands as raya although good at shot stopping is dodgy on crosses and prone to a clanger. 

5 hours ago, Leonard Venkhater said:

Got to say, it is a worry for me-only based on past experience. But it would be like a kick in the guts to all those, who have allowed themselves to hope again.

Exactly, I know any sensible club with sensible owners wouldnt even think about it - it would be crazy considering he could go for similar or more if we don't go up. Its just with this lot you just know they make stupid decisions.  

Just now, pomster said:

There's a few posters here that believe paper talk to much, sure they're in Lar Lar land?

Dacks going nowhere .. where would the logic in that be? And going from Venkys record he isnt next season either

From Venkys record?

Most of us know he shouldnt be going anywhere and he probably wont be - but lets not rule out the possibility with these clowns in charge. Not sure where you have been the last seven years if you dont believe the Venkys like to cash in whenever possible.

la la land - quite

7 hours ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Not aimed at you specifically but got to have something to complain about eh? If those players aren't signed we haven't brought in the reinforcements we need.

If we do, it must be because we're selling Dack.

No.  It's just common sense to be a little nervous based on past experience. 

If your wife kept playing around behind your back and you kept catching her, you'd be a bit nervous the next time you get a plumber round! 

7 minutes ago, JacknOry said:

From Venkys record?

Most of us know he shouldnt be going anywhere and he probably wont be - but lets not rule out the possibility with these clowns in charge. Not sure where you have been the last seven years if you dont believe the Venkys like to cash in whenever possible.

la la land - quite

Where have i been for over the last  30+ yrs, Hmm ... let me think? .... yep ... thought so .... Ewood!

Not a lover of Venkys just like the next guy, but i do think they want 2 promotions just like us.

45 minutes ago, renrag said:

In fairness you did ask for two examples

Yes I asked for two and my point stands that two isn't a "model". Actually one of the two wasn't even a correct example,if you bothered reading through the posts you would have seen this :) funny you missed it considering you took the time to go through my posts and quote two of them.

15 minutes ago, MGPensioner said:

Have you ever noticed Suhail wandering round the corridors at night in his pyjamas ?

Rumour has it he lives in the office next to Mike's office and only comes out at night.

:lol: Cant say i have, but has a kid i had my share of clouts round the back of the head for climbing the floodlights at night. And playing football in the street with Tony Parkes and Simon Garner

If a substantial bid comes in for Dack he's off make no mistake about it unless the Coventry mafia are now in full control of every aspect and TM sees Dack has integral to the promotion push no matter what price and vetoes any bid 

Don't forget under Venkys reign this club has had shadowy characters and carpet baggers lurking to make a nice percentage on certain things.. So if a substantial bid comes in for Dack he'll be gone 

1 hour ago, Athlete said:

If a substantial bid comes in for Dack he's off make no mistake about it unless the Coventry mafia are now in full control of every aspect and TM sees Dack has integral to the promotion push no matter what price and vetoes any bid 

Don't forget under Venkys reign this club has had shadowy characters and carpet baggers lurking to make a nice percentage on certain things.. So if a substantial bid comes in for Dack he'll be gone 

Stop talking shite please 

8 hours ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Course we were in promotion contention under Lambert. After his impressive opening 5 games we were within two points of the play offs with 25 games to go.  Then the wheels fell off.

I must admit I didn't realise Cairney came here on loan initially. However I don't think there are many parallels between either him or Gestede and Dack. Cairney whilst very good at times was somewhat in and out and was nowhere near as pivotal for us back then as Dack is now. Also he was sold at the end of a season when the team as a whole had failed to make much impression. Not in the middle of a promotion campaign when we looked like going up.

Gestede had allegedly been unhappy and agitating for a move for some time. We hung onto him initially but eventually took a very decent price for him.

Being within a few points of the top 6 after a good run once over the course of a season is not promotion contention. If it is then out of the current Championship table everyone down to Sheffield Wednesday in 17th has been or is in promotion contention this season.

It seems you are crediting Lambert with putting us into promotion contention with his impressive opening 5 games, so seems a bit unfair to then criticise him for taking us out of it. My recollection of that season was that it was nearly all spent in the bottom half of the table looking over our shoulders after selling Cairney, Gestede and Rhodes and having a net spend of -£20 million.

The club would have paying customers believe that all decent players to depart the club are pushing to do so and the club are therefore powerless to resist.  

I'd say Cairney and Dack were similar in so far as they were fans favourites and probably our most naturally gifted players with the ball, and also were the most likely to attract serious interest from other clubs. He was sold the minute serious cash was put on the table, seemingly because there were bills to be paid and Venkys wanted some quick readies to use to pay them.

9 hours ago, islander200 said:

Agreed with Cairney but as far as I remember we did try to keep hold of Gestede only for him to throw his toys out of the pram and refused to play?

In the past Venkys would have sold the player and not reinvested in the squad.We have spent big money for this level this year and I just don't see them selling our best player at this stage when promotion is so important. 

Dack' s value isn't going to decrease drastically between now and the end of the season so if they are thinking of cashing in it won't be now.

We kept all our best paid players in the summer and have added to the squad I just don't see them being stupid enough to let out best player go now. 

I'm not sticking up for Venkys or think they deserve a chance for spending a few quid I still want them out as much as the next fan

I agree with you - if they had any sense at all given the stakes this season it would be lunacy to sell him. But as I say we've a whole catalogue of decent players who have been sold off over the years which has resulted in us ending up in division 3. To most clubs the benefits of promotion would outweigh quick profits on players, but then again we can go right back to the sales of Samba, Emerton, Nelson, Salgado etc. when they arrived which again indirectly cost us Premier League status to see how much they value league status. If they'd have backed a competent manager with a couple of million quid instead of chucking Coyle a couple of hundred grand then we wouldn't be in this league now.

2 hours ago, pomster said:

Where have i been for over the last  30+ yrs, Hmm ... let me think? .... yep ... thought so .... Ewood!

Not a lover of Venkys just like the next guy, but i do think they want 2 promotions just like us.

Exactly. They might have wanted to stay in the Premier League..like us. They might have wanted to avoid another relegation-again just like us!

2 hours ago, pomster said:

We only wanted ONE promotion last time but they sold all the good players, didn't replace them and employed a well known dud to all but seal relegation, or didn't you notice that :blink:

Archived