SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Plymouth Away - 3rd February 2018

Kamy100

• Replies 764
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, K-Hod said:

So, if Shrewsbury win their game in hand on us, they’re 5 points ahead again.

Back to square one again. Fantastic. 

We’ve out Roversed ourselves!

4 points out of the last 9 just made our Shrewsbury result meaningless. Optimism levels back down to 50/50.

• Backroom

We have to pray Mulgrew comes back quickly, our defence is bad enough without him there to try and create some sense of order. My worry is that he'll be rushed back and then get injured again for even longer. The perils of relying on an injury prone player :(

If Shrews and Wigan win their trailing matches we are now 5 pts to Shrews and 10 pts to Wigan. Not good.

Stop beating Conway. Maybe he should have not started, but surely this result was not his fault. I would be more worried about our CB situation at the moment.

Just hope we get Mulgrew and Lenihan soon back.

Just now, RevidgeBlue said:

So do you think TM will have succeeded if we end up in the play offs?

Nope. But we've just lost 1 in 18.

I've never really rated Mowbray, I was calling him overly-cautious early season when you were bigging him up. You seem to have forgotten that. That said, we've been on an exceptional run, so it's hard to criticise him. I was more annoyed by the Northampton result than this one, I though Mowbray got that totally wrong. We were bound to lose one day, the key now is to go on another long unbeaten run.   Let's see if we can before we all start having a collective meltdown. One things for sure, there will be plenty more twists and turns before anything is decided in this league. 

Bottom line, we played shit by all accounts and we lost. Plymouth are bang in form and did us. It happens  Too much over-confidence on here and maybe from the players too. Lets hope today was a massive wake-up call.

Pretty disastrous day. Weird substitutions. It's typical Mowbray following one of the best performances of the season v Walsall he changes things up. Payne didn't even get on. 

Doesn't look like Wigan or Shrewsbury are going to drop many points. Tough 

Very poor today Rovers and Mowbray.

We were totally devoid of any serious attacking intent.

I really don't know WTF we do all week in training. Plymouth played exactly as I thought they would and won because we'd no answers but what do we as fans know?

We'd no cutting edge, created absolutely nothing. What happened to the high tempo in the final third?

I don't agree with all the nonsense posted because we've lost one.

For me, as a club we're third because we're not good enough to be first or second. Simples.

We've played well twice all season, enough said really.

Just now, DE. said:

We have to pray Mulgrew comes back quickly, our defence is bad enough without him there to try and create some sense of order. My worry is that he'll be rushed back and then get injured again for even longer. The perils of relying on an injury prone player :(

The perils of not recruiting adequate cover.

Different times and balance sheets but the principle holds:

Souness had Berg and Short as his main two CBs with cover from Curtis and Broomes, as well as Tiny Taylor.

We have Mulgrew and Downing then... Lenihan who it feels like has been permanently injured then... answers on a postcard!

5 minutes ago, Roboftherovers82 said:

not gonna shout tm out but he really  needs to answer some questions and start  by sorting out our so called joke of  a defence 

Today I thought the opposition created and took 2 chances that came their way. Did we have a chance or a shot?

Out thought, ought fought and well beaten today IMO.

Just now, blueboy3333 said:

Nope. But we've just lost 1 in 18.

I've never really rated Mowbray, I was calling him overly-cautious early season when you were bigging him up. You seem to have forgotten that. That said, we've been on an exceptional run, so it's hard to criticise him. I was more annoyed by the Northampton result than this one, I though Mowbray got that totally wrong. We were bound to lose one day, the key now is to go on another long unbeaten run.   Let's see if we can before we all start having a collective meltdown. One things for sure, there will be plenty more twists and turns before anything is decided in this league. 

Bottom line, we played shit by all accounts and we lost. Plymouth are bang in form and did us. It happens  Too much over-confidence on here and maybe from the players too. Lets hope today was a massive wake-up call.

Good post. I agree completely but I can't shake off the nagging feeling that we're doing well despite TM.

Last season we temporarily got our noses above the safety line after a great start under TM then imo dropped back into trouble by being too cautious and negative and only really going for it when it was too late. I hope we don't miss out on our chance of automatic promotion by being too negative although sadly it is no longer in our own hands and that horse may already have bolted. If Wigan and Shrewsbury average 2 points a game until the end of the season we will find it virtually impossible to get past them.

I think we are all just po'd with the manner of the defeat.  We all knew it was a tough ask but should have been able to come away with something if we have genuine top 2 aspirations.

We travel in good numbers and give our fans a lilly livered performance they simoly deserve better and having gone 2 down with plenty if time left deserved no less than to see us go down swinging.  Not so.  I get the feeling Mowbary has put the leash on some of the creative players.  We.should have.gone gung ho to turn over that deficit but nope we.swap like for like and do the same thing with different players.  What.would have.been so bad about throwing the kitchen sink at em.  Nothing.

No more unbeaten run stuff, wins are what is required from now until May. The question does need to be asked of Mowbray’s team selection and tactics at times. A good unbeaten run masked some of our issues that we all saw in certain games in amongst that.

The decision to take Graham off was staggering, top scorer, red hot form, only given 45 mins when 2-0 down? Then leaving Payne on the bench and once again finishing a game with 2 out and out strikers operating the wings? And as for evans being brought on well if anyone can offer me an opinion on how he planned to get 2 goals back with him on, i’ll duly listen.

4 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Well, hardly pointless as if we didn't win we would be even further behind 

“Meaningless”. In real terms we are now no better off than we were before that game. It didn’t even dent their confidence.

Unless you think it would be acceptable to be 8 (and staring at 11) points behind them. :huh: 

Which is how bad it would have been without that match.

That’s what we should be doing to every team in this league, throwing the kitchen sink at them. We drew away at the best team in the league with 10 men for a large period of the game and then 9 men for the last 10 minutes or so. We have no reason to sit back and invite pressure upon us. If we had a reliable defence then perhaps it’d be a possibility, but as it is we should be looking to attack teams from the off and not relent

9 minutes ago, Husky said:

What are the play off dates? I need to do some forward planning.

I'd wait, we have to make the playoffs first.  Mowbary has form for destroying promotion hopes in the 2nd half of seasons.

Just following from my previous post, a quote from Mowbray earlier in the week was something like “We now have the options to play a formation/lineup based on skill, or on pace, or on power, or hard working, and i’ll pick the best team on saturday that suits how we want to play”.

How about Tony, (barring injuries), you find your best XI, you stick to it, and give the team some consistency? Unchanged XI named once this season, Wigan don’t change team based on opponents, Shrewsbury don’t, Burnley played 2 up top against the best team the premier league’s seen and got a point... We’ll have to call him Tinkerman Tony at this rate.

5 minutes ago, Stuart said:

The perils of not recruiting adequate cover.

Different times and balance sheets but the principle holds:

Souness had Berg and Short as his main two CBs with cover from Curtis and Broomes, as well as Tiny Taylor.

We have Mulgrew and Downing then... Lenihan who it feels like has been permanently injured then... answers on a postcard!

I did say the other day we are now recruiting quality cover/competition for attacking and other areas so why not centre half before I was shot down by professor mind changer.

We've just come out of another transfer window yet he is altering tactics again to cover someone stepping in to defence and we are weaker now in that position instead of stronger despite the backing he's had.

Poor.

I'm personally gobsmacked that we'd previously gone 18 games unbeaten. 

Against Shrewsbury and first half against Fleetwood and in patches against the mighty Walsall, I thought perhaps this team may come good.

For me, forget the opposition: we have some great attacking options, just unleash them all every week.

You've signed 'em all Tony, fecking let 'em play and tear the opposition a new one home or away.

Our attacking play today was so one dimensional and predictably with no end result, Mowbray should be bloody embarrassed.

Archived