BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Plymouth Away - 3rd February 2018

Kamy100

8 minutes ago, Stuart said:

“Meaningless”. In real terms we are now no better off than we were before that game. It didn’t even dent their confidence.

Unless you think it would be acceptable to be 8 (and staring at 11) points behind them. :huh: 

Which is how bad it would have been without that match.

Obviously I don't think it is acceptable. Saying that beating them was pointless makes no sense though. They just keep picking up results,when I think some of us don't expect them too. 

• Replies 764
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, tomphil said:

I did say the other day we are now recruiting quality cover/competition for attacking and other areas so why not centre half before I was shot down by professor mind changer.

We've just come out of another transfer window yet he is altering tactics again to cover someone stepping in to defence and we are weaker now in that position instead of stronger despite the backing he's had.

Poor.

Agreed. The good news is, so does professor mind changer. Or at least he will when he gets his cue cards from TM.

What a shit day. The dingles got a result against a Champions League contender to go 7th in the PL, and we are supposed to excuse a defeat at Plymouth to try to escape L1.

”No, no, no, it’s all going well, it’s only a blip on our unbeaten run”, “all part of football’s rich tapestry”, “yeah, let’s sack Mowbray (it’s funny cos I’m being ironic)”, “we’re third ffs”, “Plymouth are bang in form so we were lucky it was only two”

Never mind that Wigan and Shrewsbury both got points there.

7 minutes ago, USABlue said:

I'd wait, we have to make the playoffs first.  Mowbary has form for destroying promotion hopes in the 2nd half of seasons.

Mowbray doesn't know how to arrest a slide. As with his matchday tactics he has one plan and if that doesn't work he just keeps on playing the same way.

I  think several people underestimated what a big loss Mulgrew was going to be. How many times today did we hear that a set piece had been played harmlessly into the keepers hands. His goals and assists have picked up point sevand real times this season, and we may rally miss his deliveries.

There were a few lapses at the back against Walsall which I didn't comment on as I was away during this week. However we may see befor he is back how he influences the whole defensive unit. Let's no talk forget he's playing in league one having just been centre half for Scotland's in a reasonably successful World Cup qualifying campaign (for them).  And yet some people were saying we might be ok, or even better off, playing an average league one / lower championship full back in his place.

In the Absence of bringing in any cover, I fear we may see what a loss Mulgrew is unless Lenihan comes back ASAP and is better than I recall.

Just now, Hasta said:

In the Absence of bringing in any cover, I fear we may see what a loss Mulgrew is unless Lenihan comes back ASAP and is better than I recall.

Lenihan is one of those players who gets better the longer he is absent.

Just now, alcd said:

Mowbray doesn't know how to arrest a slide. As with his matchday tactics he has one plan and if that doesn't work he just keeps on playing the same way.

I’d say Mowbray has too many plans.

It’s the third division, we should be looking to impose ourselves on the opposition every game, strongest team week in week out.  However he seems to get himself into a tangle by approaching every match like a League 1 Rafa Benitez.

To not even use Payne at all, who changed the game when brought on at Fleetwood is a case in point.

Tony Mowbray: “No excuses; we have to accept it, give them credit and move on. In hindsight, I should have made a few changes and brought on Jack Payne.” #Rovers

More: “I’m disappointed that we couldn’t repay the supporters who made the long trip today. We didn’t get to the levels we’ve been playing at recently but we’ll take this result on the chin.” #Rovers

The boss finishes by saying: “There’s still a long way to go and a lot of points to play for. We’ll deal with today and make sure we’re ready for the next game. Let’s stay positive and look forward to the next challenge.” #Rovers

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

We have loads of strikers,but instead of playing 2 upfront ,mowbray plays them on the wing. I think that is extremely questionable. I honestly think our best 11 in a 4-4-2 ,working hard for each other,would win most games. 

4-2-3-1 is kinda needed to accommodate Dack I’d say.

• Backroom
Just now, chaddyrovers said:

Tony Mowbray: “No excuses; we have to accept it, give them credit and move on. In hindsight, I should have made a few changes and brought on Jack Payne.” #Rovers

More: “I’m disappointed that we couldn’t repay the supporters who made the long trip today. We didn’t get to the levels we’ve been playing at recently but we’ll take this result on the chin.” #Rovers

The boss finishes by saying: “There’s still a long way to go and a lot of points to play for. We’ll deal with today and make sure we’re ready for the next game. Let’s stay positive and look forward to the next challenge.” #Rovers

Sorry Tony, but you don't need hindsight to realise Samuel and Evans are poor substitutions. You should have known that well in advance. 

Just now, USABlue said:

I think we are all just po'd with the manner of the defeat.  We all knew it was a tough ask but should have been able to come away with something if we have genuine top 2 aspirations.

We travel in good numbers and give our fans a lilly livered performance they simoly deserve better and having gone 2 down with plenty if time left deserved no less than to see us go down swinging.  Not so.  I get the feeling Mowbary has put the leash on some of the creative players.  We.should have.gone gung ho to turn over that deficit but nope we.swap like for like and do the same thing with different players.  What.would have.been so bad about throwing the kitchen sink at em.  Nothing.

What Im so annoyed about is that with Payne and Armstrong in the side we played with a completely different energy and tempo and put in one of the best performances of the season Tuesday night. (Until Conway came on)

So TM stumbled across a system and line up that transformed our play but decided to change it. It wasn't broke but he decided to mend it anyway. It all seems so needless.

Just now, Mattyblue said:

I’d say Mowbray has too many plans.

It’s the third division, we should be looking to impose ourselves on the opposition every game, strongest team week in week out.  However he seems to get himself into a tangle by approaching every match like a League 1 Rafa Benitez.

To not even use Payne at all, who changed the game when brought on at Fleetwood is a case in point.

What was the story with Payne? How come he didn't bring him on? I thought he would be starting to be honest. Strange 

Just now, Hasta said:

I  think several people underestimated what a big loss Mulgrew was going to be. How many times today did we hear that a set piece had been played harmlessly into the keepers hands. 

There were a few lapses at the back against Walsall which I didn't comment on as I was away during this week. However we may see befor he is back how he influences the whole defensive unit. Let's no talk forget he's playing in league one having just been centre half for Scotland's in a reasonably successful World Cup qualifying campaign (for them).  And yet some people were saying we might be ok, or even better off, playing an average league one / lower championship full back in his place.

Hasta, whilst I accept Mulgrew is a big loss to the team, I don't think he's an answer to any defensive problems. Today was just another day at the office defensively for me, nothing to do with Mulgrew being absent, just same old, same old. I would however give the opposition a modicum of credit.

Our issue today was offensive, we were terrible in attack and wouldn't have scored if we'd carried on playing in the same way for a fortnight.

We were outdone by the opposition in every way today and until we can overcome that we'll never be better than third at best.

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

We have loads of strikers,but instead of playing 2 upfront ,mowbray plays them on the wing. I think that is extremely questionable. I honestly think our best 11 in a 4-4-2 ,working hard for each other,would win most games. 

You question Mowbray and the use of strikers on the wing even we just been on 18 games unbeaten run and got the beat from Antonsson from wide role. Just people couldnt wait for us to lose so they can have a good old moan. 

Dack is a number 10 player and is our best attacking player. 

So we cant play 4-4-2. Its either 4-2-3-1 or 3-5-2 formation. I like to see us play 3 at the back with Dack in 10 role with Armstrong and Graham up front. Smallwood and Bennett in centre mid. With Travis and Bell as wing backs. With Downing, Mulgrew and Williams at centre backs. 

On today's game we sounded poor and not at our best. Shame. 

But lets focus on.starting another winning run and forget this game. 

Just now, rovers11 said:

Big advantage to Shrewsbury. They're pretty much 5 points ahead now. They have to be big favourites to take that second spot now. Very frustating. 

No they are not ......

Shrewsbury are not  Man City and even they couldnt beat Burnley earlier !

A long way to go and many twists and turns , to be had ...

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

You question Mowbray and the use of strikers on the wing even we just been on 18 games unbeaten run and got the beat from Antonsson from wide role. Just people couldnt wait for us to lose so they can have a good old moan. 

Dack is a number 10 player and is our best attacking player. 

So we cant play 4-4-2. Its either 4-2-3-1 or 3-5-2 formation. I like to see us play 3 at the back with Dack in 10 role with Armstrong and Graham up front. Smallwood and Bennett in centre mid. With Travis and Bell as wing backs. With Downing, Mulgrew and Williams at centre backs. 

On today's game we sounded poor and not at our best. Shame. 

But lets focus on.starting another winning run and forget this game. 

Yes,I can question the use of strikers on the wing. We have the largest transfer budget in the league. So why are we playing numerous players out of position?

5 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Just now, Cherry Blue said:

Think Andy Bayes is right, keep Dack quiet and Rovers don't play play.

Dack can't really influence any game when the ball is lumped forward into the box from left or right. We kept Dack quiet today not Plymouth.

Just now, Waggy76 said:

No they are not ......

Shrewsbury are not  Man City and even they couldnt beat Burnley earlier !

A long way to go and many twists and turns , to be had ...

True but all talk by us after beating Shrewsbury at home and seeing this as a turning point in their fortunes hasnt rung true. I get the feeling they re here for the long run.

Archived