BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Rovers v Southend

Crowds can be edgy but support was kept up during the Bradford game. It helped that they were about as threatening as a basket full of kittens. Plus Rovers were creating chances and took a while to convert one but there didn't seem to be too much frustration. Granted I wasn't there in person but it came across fine on Tv. Fans sometimes need to be patient though of course if you fall behind many crowds can become edgy and its hard not to be. I was there in November when Bristol R took the lead (and not in the automatic spots) but fortunately that didn't last very long. There wasn't that much edginess towards the end either though a steward near me said they were going to equalise. :rolleyes:. In a strange way that probably prompted me to have more faith in the players seeing it through hearing someone paid by the club being so disrespectful. Stewards should do their job and be silent unless instigated by disorder or spoken to. OK some of them might be fans but that's beside the point. 

• Replies 462
  • Created
  • Last Reply
35 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Play a completely new formation in this game? 

It's so crazy it might work!!!! 

Seriously? 

How is that a completely new formation? Graham and Armstrong have started upfront or at least switched to a two upfront in a number of games. The only difference is Payne gets a start at home and isnt made to stay out wide. 

Just now, benhben said:

How is that a completely new formation? Dack and Armstrong have started upfront or at least switched to a two upfront in a number of games. The only difference is Payne isnt made to stay out wide. 

We have never played 4-3-1-2, thats why it is a completely new formation. Dack never plays that deep. 

2 hours ago, tomphil said:

Southend certainly have a good manager there now and i'd say they might be dark horses to be in the mix next season depending on how their summer business pans out.

Tough game tomorrow this the team needs to be front foot from the off again and the crowd needs to be on it and raise itself and the team if things are proving tricky rather than the other way around which is usually and bizarrely the case at Ewood.  I don't think Powell made those comments off the top of his head people in the game know our home crowd is notoriously quiet and nervous at times when it needn't be.

Get behind the lads ffs :lol:

COYB

2 hours ago, Vinjay17 said:

Crowds can be edgy but support was kept up during the Bradford game. It helped that they were about as threatening as a basket full of kittens. Plus Rovers were creating chances and took a while to convert one but there didn't seem to be too much frustration. Granted I wasn't there in person but it came across fine on Tv. Fans sometimes need to be patient though of course if you fall behind many crowds can become edgy and its hard not to be. I was there in November when Bristol R took the lead (and not in the automatic spots) but fortunately that didn't last very long. There wasn't that much edginess towards the end either though a steward near me said they were going to equalise. :rolleyes:. In a strange way that probably prompted me to have more faith in the players seeing it through hearing someone paid by the club being so disrespectful. Stewards should do their job and be silent unless instigated by disorder or spoken to. OK some of them might be fans but that's beside the point. 

I think the crowds have been excellent recently, even in quiet spells where we have toiled, on numerous occasions the fans have tried to raise them, dont think that can be pointed this season.

5 hours ago, benhben said:

Reading the interview in the LET from Southend manager Powell I cant see any reason not to pick an attacking line up. Cant see them looking to attack too much. Press high up with fullbacks who overlap.  I am assuming Lenihan wont make the game. Might actually be a game for Whittingham later on if theyre defending deep. 

Raya

Bennett Downing Mulgrew Bell

Smallwood Evans Dack

Payne

Armstrong Graham

Why move Dack from the 10 role where he scored his goals from??.

4 hours ago, Shrimper said:

Afternoon Rovers. 

Glad to see you's battling at the top of the division. As I mentioned before, I was a Rovers fan as a youngster, so mean it when I say, I hope you's get back to where you belong. 

That said, I hope we do the business tomorrow :) 

Anyone who fancies a flutter, get on Jacky Payne to score either at anytime, or the winner. We've got an unbelievable record of former players scoring against us, and if Payne plays, he's bound to notch one. A cracking little player. 

We've been rejuvenated under Chrissy Powell, and barring the Plymouth game a few weeks ago, we've been quite good (which makes a change). Wigan, scunny & Rotherham have found that out lately.

Must admit, I'm worried about Armstrong. The guy is a machine, with bags of pace, so he'll test our centre backs. 

I could see a score-draw tomorrow, OR maybe you's to nick the game late. 

Good luck

Good to have you back Shrimper.

9 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Why move Dack from the 10 role where he scored his goals from??.

Dack's a quality player, who fits the number 10 role perfectly. 

However, Jacky Payne (in my humble opinion) is an outstanding talent, who could not only play at higher levels, but will be far superior to Dack, especially when placed in that position. 

I'd say Jacky will be gunning for us tomorrow*, and playing him in that position, might just be a master stroke. 

*not that he left on bad terms or anything, he's still loved by us.

TBH, I've got no shame in admitting that I'm jealous that you've got two players of that calibre to fit into that role. 

The correct mentality right from the first whistle...we play to win and win well.

We owe you one Shrimper,the opening day defeat was uncomfortable but well earned by your side.

Safe journey if your travelling to the wilds of t' North...we eat Baby's eds with Gravy tha knows!

:o

8 minutes ago, Shrimper said:

However, Jacky Payne (in my humble opinion) is an outstanding talent, who could not only play at higher levels, but will be far superior to Dack, especially when placed in that position. 

Agree with this. Mowbray hasn''t played Payne regularly in his best position yet - and sometimes he's looked a bit tentative and lost when stuck out on the right wing. Fans will be disappointed when Dack inevitably leaves but Payne will be the better player. I'm hoping we sign him permanently. 

34 minutes ago, SIMON GARNERS 194 said:

The correct mentality right from the first whistle...we play to win and win well.

We owe you one Shrimper,the opening day defeat was uncomfortable but well earned by your side.

Safe journey if your travelling to the wilds of t' North...we eat Baby's eds with Gravy tha knows!

:o

Sadly an unavoidable work appointment has curtailed my venture oop north for this one. Shame, as I love visiting Ewood 

40 minutes ago, Shrimper said:

Completely different players. Payne is a playmaker, Dack is a goalscorer. Payne would never get the goals Dack scores so to say he is  capable of being 'far superior' is not really based on much.

25 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

Agree with this. Mowbray hasn''t played Payne regularly in his best position yet - and sometimes he's looked a bit tentative and lost when stuck out on the right wing. Fans will be disappointed when Dack inevitably leaves but Payne will be the better player. I'm hoping we sign him permanently. 

Payney is certainly at his best in the number 10 role, and when he's given licence to roam freely. He never has been, nor will ever be a great winger. He's a confidence player, so playing him in his natural position is paramount. 

Dont get me wrong, I'd LOVE for him to come home to us, (he came through our youth setup, and is from the area, with a Southend supporting family) but he's destined for bigger things, and I couldn't think of a better club I'd like to see him at, other than you's. 

25 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

In what respect? He's also slower and weaker than Dack so using your own yardstick does that not maker him inferior?

Just now, blueboy3333 said:

Completely different players. Payne is a playmaker, Dack is a goalscorer. Payne would never get the goals Dack scores so to say he is  capable of being 'far superior' is not really based on much.

It's based on the fact I've seen them both play on numerous occasions over the past 3-4 years. 

Payney, if given the same opportunities in your team as Dack, might well surprise you. He's more than capable of scoring goals, I assure you.

As for the future, the difference is this; Dack probably won't cut it at Championship level. Payne will. 

Just now, blueboy3333 said:

In what respect? He's also slower and weaker than Dack so using your own yardstick does that not maker him inferior?

Slower? Maybe he's lost an edge since I last saw him, but Payne was always quick, especially when dribbling with the ball. At times it seemed glued to his feet.

Again, Dack has always been good, but as for natural talent, Payney was always the one who seemed to stand out more. 

How many starts has Jacky had for you's? 

Payne was outstanding for Oxford in our match at their place in the autumn. Best player on the pitch, and scored a brilliant goal. I've not seen him hit those heights for Rovers yet but am looking forward to it. He needs to play regularly in his best position. 

54 minutes ago, Shrimper said:

I'd say Jacky will be gunning for us tomorrow*, and playing him in that position, might just be a master stroke. 

*not that he left on bad terms or anything, he's still loved by us.

TBH, I've got no shame in admitting that I'm jealous that you've got two players of that calibre to fit into that role. 

No doubt Payne is outstanding talent but in current form and this season Dack has been outstanding and should be our player of the season. The number 10 role has been perfectly played by him all season and in recent games teams have closer marked him now

I wouldn't drop Dack for Payne in million year. 

Now, can I ask for your thoughts on the season? Brown sacking and Powell appointment? what changes has Powell made since his appointment in terms of style of play, formation and changing players?

35 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

When Dack leaves? where he going? we had no bids in January for him as Mowbray said and these rumours were false. 

No way should Payne play in the 10 role when Dack is fit. Dack fit he starts. 

Payne has to learn how to play from the right wing and learn his game. 

I expect us to sign Payne Permanent next season.

1 minute ago, Shrimper said:

Slower? Maybe he's lost an edge since I last saw him, but Payne was always quick, especially when dribbling with the ball. At times it seemed glued to his feet.

Again, Dack has always been good, but as for natural talent, Payney was always the one who seemed to stand out more. 

6 games starts for us. 

seems to better for us coming of the bench when defence are tiring and has more space/time for his skills

29 minutes ago, Shrimper said:

It's based on the fact I've seen them both play on numerous occasions over the past 3-4 years. 

Payney, if given the same opportunities in your team as Dack, might well surprise you. He's more than capable of scoring goals, I assure you.

As for the future, the difference is this; Dack probably won't cut it at Championship level. Payne will. 

Absolute nonsense.

27 minutes ago, Shrimper said:

Not sure but they've been out wide. Lack of pace gets exposed out there. He's also looked weak. Like I said very different players. I'd take Dack every time based on what I've seen. There's a reason Payne can't get a start and that's because he isn't at Dack's level.

1 hour ago, blueboy3333 said:

Not sure but they've been out wide. Lack of pace gets exposed out there. He's also looked weak. Like I said very different players. I'd take Dack every time based on what I've seen. There's a reason Payne can't get a start and that's because he isn't at Dack's level.

Dack did get here first and has made the role his own. Payne has looked very good in the middle at times. We are very lucky to have two quality players for that position 

1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

No doubt Payne is outstanding talent but in current form and this season Dack has been outstanding and should be our player of the season. The number 10 role has been perfectly played by him all season and in recent games teams have closer marked him now

I wouldn't drop Dack for Payne in million year. 

Now, can I ask for your thoughts on the season? Brown sacking and Powell appointment? what changes has Powell made since his appointment in terms of style of play, formation and changing players?

When Dack leaves? where he going? we had no bids in January for him as Mowbray said and these rumours were false. 

No way should Payne play in the 10 role when Dack is fit. Dack fit he starts. 

Payne has to learn how to play from the right wing and learn his game. 

I expect us to sign Payne Permanent next season.

Can't argue with that really. Dack has been outstanding for you's in truth, and If I were in your shoes, I wouldn't wanna see him replaced either. 

However, I'd still stick my neck on the line & suggest that if Mowbray played Payne through the centre tomorrow, it'll probably win you the game. That's not to say we're not wary of Dack, as we've seen (maybe more than you guys) just how dangerous he can be. It's the fact that Jacky will want to prove something tomorrow, and could be unstoppable. Like I said, you're being spoilt with having 2 players who can play in that position so well. Either way, your "best" are better than our "best", so I'm sure it'll be an immensely tough game for us.

As for us, well the season didn't pan out as we had hoped. Brown lost the dressing room a while back. A number of senior players allegedly wanted to leave the club, with a few handing in transfer requests during Janurary. His favouritism of the disruptive Nile Ranger was supposedly a contributing factor to this, but so too was his continual public criticism of the team. I wasn't a big fan of his, nor his style of football. Don't get me wrong, he was successful for us, but the time was certainly right for him to go. 

Powelly was a cult hero for us back in the 90's. We're all fairly chuffed to have him back. He's a real man-manager, who constantly strives to get the best out of his team, which has shown in our form since his appointment. See, we've not got a bad squad. We've got an old squad, but it does have some quality in it. Brown just wasn't getting the commitment from them. Powell has changed that. We tend to play a solid 4-4-2, with pace on the wings & a high volume of balls into the box. I'm sure you'll all be thrilled to hear that Kightly has returned from injury, and seems to be very lively :) 

For us, the season is over, and it's just a case of going out on a high though. 

Archived